Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

CeeJee posted:

Also seeing Keri Russell lie about being pregnant while in a heavy coat to hide her actual pregnancy was hilarious.

Stan joking "Oh well I see Elizabeth is not the only one with a roast in the oven" upon being introduced to Alice was even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

While Stan and Phillip were having a beer all I could think was "man this is going to be spectacular when it all comes unglued"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

While Stan and Phillip were having a beer all I could think was "man this is going to be spectacular when it all comes unglued"

After Stan's talk with Oleg I think his response to learning about Philip and Elizabeth is just going to be suicide.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I fully expect several metric poo poo tons of shenanigans to go down in the next two weeks.

Probably the introduction of a couple bodies, too.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Don's going to kill himself.
But I can't see how this is going to end up on Aderholt's desk as well.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It was great how Paige wanted to get some driving practice, and Liz just responded with "that's your dad's job." Then she slits some dude's throat right in front of her in the next few minutes. Dad teaches driving, Mom teaches killing. I can't wait for the next episode.

Slashrat posted:

Stan joking "Oh well I see Elizabeth is not the only one with a roast in the oven" upon being introduced to Alice was even better.

I somehow missed that one. Fantastic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Don't you dare kill Noah Emmerich, The Americans.

Don't you fuckin' dare. :colbert:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
How is this show so good?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

CeeJee posted:

I'm sure Liz can spin this into a recruitment pitch.

There was another bit about how they are going to recruit Paige right before that. She's basically going to start relaying information that Stan's son tells her.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Six seasons is basically the perfect amount of time for a serial drama show. Six or three.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

cheerfullydrab posted:

Six seasons is basically the perfect amount of time for a serial drama show. Six or three.
Agreed, I hate when they run a show into the ground, lets go out on a high note.

Thinking back on all the great music this show has incorporated, I would love to hear the Talking Heads, "Life During Wartime." It hit my music rotation again recently and there's like 4 or 5 snippits that I can directly relate to the show

quote:

Heard of a van that is loaded with weapons,
Packed up and ready to go
Heard of some grave sites, out by the highway,
A place where nobody knows

The sound of gunfire, off in the distance,
I'm getting used to it now
Lived in a brownstone, lived in a ghetto,
I've lived all over this town

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
This ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain't got time for that now

Transmit the message, to the receiver,
Hope for an answer some day
I got three passports, a couple of visas,
You don't even know my real name

High on a hillside, the trucks are loading,
Everything's ready to roll
I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nighttime,
I might not ever get home

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
This ain't no fooling around
This ain't no Mudd Club, or C. B. G. B.,

Heard about Houston? Heard about Detroit?
Heard about Pittsburgh, P. A.?
You oughta know not to stand by the window
Somebody see you up there

I got some groceries, some peanut butter,
To last a couple of days
But I ain't got no speakers, ain't got no headphones,
Ain't got no records to play

Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
Gonna be different this time
Can't write a letter, can't send no postcard,

Trouble in transit, got through the roadblock,
We blended in with the crowd
We got computers, we're tapping phone lines,
I know that that ain't allowed

We dress like students, we dress like housewives,
Or in a suit and a tie
I changed my hairstyle, so many times now,
I don't know what I look like!

You make me shiver, I feel so tender,
We make a pretty good team
Don't get exhausted, I'll do some driving,
You ought to get you some sleep

Burned all my notebooks, what good are notebooks?
They won't help me survive
My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,
The burning keeps me alive

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

That dinner scene was fantastic. The only two people who weren't super uncomfortable were Stan and Henry, the two besties :3

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crusty Nutsack posted:

That dinner scene was fantastic. The only two people who weren't super uncomfortable were Stan and Henry, the two besties :3

I spent that whole scene waiting for Tim to innocently say "Oh so when did they turn you?:v:" and I think Phillip and Elizabeth were too. Because why else would a family of KGB spies have a neighbor and friend in the FBI

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I kinda hope Stan never finds out about Phillip and Elizabeth, I think it will break his heart.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
[quote="tomapot" po

ShakeZula posted:

After Stan's talk with Oleg I think his response to learning about Philip and Elizabeth is just going to be suicide.

st="460336728"]
I kinda hope Stan never finds out about Phillip and Elizabeth, I think it will break his heart.
[/quote]

Gonz posted:

Don't you dare kill Noah Emmerich, The Americans.

Don't you fuckin' dare. :colbert:

Noah Emmerich murder suicides himself, Phil and Elizabeth. Pastor Tim keeps his lips shut, so does the daughter, who becomes a nun or something. Just a headline in the papers of a tragic divorcee losing it and killing his best friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 26, 2016

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

MariusLecter posted:

st="460336728"]

quote:

Noah Emmerich murder suicides himself, Phil and Elizabeth. Pastor Tim keeps his lips shut, so does the daughter, who becomes a nun or something. Just a headline in the papers of a tragic divorcee losing it and killing his best friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

Henry on his computer the whole time.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I laughed when Elizabeth asked Pastor Tim for advice then goes "what if I don't believe in religion and god?" and he just walks away.

The scene actually had a slghtly different flavor than that:

E: What if you what if you don't believe in God? Or religion or prayer?
T: None of those things matter.
E: It doesn't matter?
T: All that matters is how we treat each other.

It's very intriguing, though, because E seems genuinely troubled by the most recent operation. Her outreach may actually have some element of sincerity.

E: VVVV Exactly.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 26, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That was such a good moment because 'acting' Elizabeth would never have asked Pastor Tim that question. She's doing everything in her power to get on his good side, so to imply she doesn't believe in religion or God could potentially hurt their relationship.

It was a great way of showing how distraught she actually feels because of this most recent operation, and I also liked how Tim seemed to recognize and appreciate this moment where she seems completely genuine.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Elizabeth certainly seemed like she had her guard down in that conversation with Pastor Tim. It felt very, very genuine and seemed like they finally started to understand where they were both coming from for once.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That notion is true, but a step behind - the moment in the previous episode where Gabriel subtly tests Elizabeth by asking her if she'd like the center to "find another way" to handle Young-Hee, she acquiesces and says 'yes' knowing full well there isn't one. She's lived her entire life die-hard nationalist working toward the Soviet cause at any cost, and that old Elizabeth would never have answered the question that way. She's finally changing.

Not so much that she can't fatally shiv a murderous deformed hobo with a pageboy haircut in the neck with his own knife, of course

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

It would be nice to see Paige nut-up at this point. Like she doesn't have to turn into a stone cold ninja operative over night, but it would some character growth at least if she was like 'Wow, that was horrible, but I see why you did that' instead of just melting down. Especially with the setup of her getting info on Martha (however inadvertently).

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Two more seasons. :dance:

http://i.imgur.com/Cq8IEYO.gifv

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Lonely Stan being so happy about being invited to dinner was heartwarming

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
They're probably going to go to Stan with how Liz killed a mugger in self defense but ran away in a panic and now they need his help to cover it up. And he'll do it.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

so loving future posted:

It would be nice to see Paige nut-up at this point. Like she doesn't have to turn into a stone cold ninja operative over night, but it would some character growth at least if she was like 'Wow, that was horrible, but I see why you did that' instead of just melting down. Especially with the setup of her getting info on Martha (however inadvertently).

I think she is starting to grow as a spy, just before the mugging she started to volunteer information beyond her forced reports on he relationship with Pastor Tim.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
What's great about the scenes between Elizabeth and Tim is it can go either way whether she's legit opening up to him the same way Phillip uses EST or she's manipulating him in order to turn him. Or both, really.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The best, most convincing lies are the ones with a kernel of truth at their center.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

qbert posted:

That was such a good moment because 'acting' Elizabeth would never have asked Pastor Tim that question. She's doing everything in her power to get on his good side, so to imply she doesn't believe in religion or God could potentially hurt their relationship.

I disagree. It makes her seem genuine.

Pastor Tim won’t blame her for disbelief. He may not believe that the U.S.S.R. is the Evil Empire, but he’s also under no illusion that Christianity is popular there. And now Elizabeth may be open to belief.

Old Elizabeth would never have done it, but it’s a legit great move. Their relationship was unsteady. It’s stronger now that Pastor Tim has a role to play.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

comes along bort posted:

Uh oh mail robot :ohdear:

Mail robot is about to become the best double agent in history.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TomViolence posted:

The best, most convincing lies are the ones with a kernel of truth at their center.

Tell a little truth with many lies. -Ronnie James Dio, KGB sleeper probably.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drunkill posted:

Mail robot is about to become the best double agent in history.

"Hey Stan, did you hear about that CIA plot to poison the Politburo's borscht?"

Oleg and Tatiana: :aaa:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Ruining a marriage to hack a computer is some inspired writing. I mean god drat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Ruining a marriage to hack a computer is some inspired writing. I mean god drat.

They ruined a marriage to hack a computer to get access for another agent to obtain a super virus.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Normally I DVR this show and watch it a bit later, but I did notice Dylan Baker now has main billing, not 'Also Starring.'

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

They ruined a marriage to hack a computer to get access for another agent to obtain a super virus.

A computer that didn't even have the access code if I heard correctly. Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hats, and of course they could, they destroyed that family for nothing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They didn't find the code in the office. They just copied all the computer data to disks and hadn't had a chance to check if it was on there yet.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Colonial Air Force posted:

You can justify anything if it's For The Greater Good.

The Greater Good.....

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Slashrat posted:

They didn't find the code in the office. They just copied all the computer data to disks and hadn't had a chance to check if it was on there yet.

There is no code on the disks. There is no way this show makes something good come out of that storyline. Don isn't some fuckup - he is very good at what he does and reached out to help out someone he believed to be a close friend of his wife and someone who cared about his family, and then ultimately trying to make things good for a mistake he didn't even make.

If I were a betting man I think these turns of events cause Elizabeth to start doubting what she has devoted her life to. She finally made a friend she enjoyed being with - not the woman she met from AA, but a woman who is also from a country that struggled with communism and ended up in the US doing the right thing for her family.

I absolutely adore this show, but I have to believe some very dark things are about to happen. Not bad things happening to bad people, but sad things happening to good people.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Slashrat posted:

I noticed Gladys from The Leftovers used a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_1541 to copy the disks which would be an interesting technical challenge back in 1983 to connect to a PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ned posted:

There is no code on the disks. There is no way this show makes something good come out of that storyline. Don isn't some fuckup - he is very good at what he does and reached out to help out someone he believed to be a close friend of his wife and someone who cared about his family, and then ultimately trying to make things good for a mistake he didn't even make.

If I were a betting man I think these turns of events cause Elizabeth to start doubting what she has devoted her life to. She finally made a friend she enjoyed being with - not the woman she met from AA, but a woman who is also from a country that struggled with communism and ended up in the US doing the right thing for her family.

I absolutely adore this show, but I have to believe some very dark things are about to happen. Not bad things happening to bad people, but sad things happening to good people.
Yeah honestly at this point if the whole level 4 code mission just falls apart because they actually can't get the codes, it'll still be worth it because of what it has put Elizabeth through.

• Locked thread