Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Worst thing to see when getting into a game is someone instant locking d.va. You know the dude has a 95% chance of sucking incredibly hard. Most of the time the guys stay at full range shooting their canons, never use their shields and barely ever dash.

I actually like playing dva a lot. She's fast, knocks people around, does a lot of damage in close range and can be a huge prick against a team. She's absolutely horrible when she has absolutely no backup though.

I do that because if I'm going to be forced to play tank I might as well have some fun. :colbert:

I would like it if pubbies could at least realize my shield is a useful pushing tool. Not as strong as Reinhardts but we can get through a choke point. If it's high noon GET BEHIND THE DVA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Dva just melts too quickly. Tanks are supposed to have a lasting presence to demand attention.
Even solo offense roadhog can do the job by being a big fat problem that creates openings. And he can be on the point and not die while the defenders are trying to dislodge the attackers. But dva either blows up or has to get out. Winston hit and runs too but he can hold a position with his barrier.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm bad so I just pick a character for whatever role the select screen says is needed. It only get difficult when I see something like NO SUPPORT NO DEFENSE NO TANK etc etc.

Although I can't wall surf yet I did reasonably well in my first game as Lucio. I just never stopped moving, hit E as much as possible and used my ult when I remembered to hit Q. I had the honor of the last shot of the match, jumping up onto the incoming payload and ult'ing S76 and Reinhardt off of it. It also killed Reinhardt so he just lamely crumpled and fell off.

It's hard to believe how many characters are in this game. Going to be a while before I try all of them.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i hope we can have another 100 pages of hot takes as to whether or not dva is actually bad

voltron lion force posted:

What was different with Dva in closed beta? Someone said she was actually good back then

nothing, and shes never been picked more than winston based on that tournament hero usage chart. winston's jump cd going from 8 > 6 made him shoot up patch over patch in terms of pick rate because he can go in and out so much easier and logically since dva doesn't do anything different really if winston is good why would you want dva?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i like soldier: 76.

He's the best for quick play.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

exquisite tea posted:

I want to play the arcade games in Hanamura instead of skirmish when I'm waiting for a new match.

Give me a D.VA meka side scroller a la R-type. Or Junkers Metal Slug.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What was different with Dva in closed beta? Someone said she was actually good back then

She was only "good" as a desperate last point defense scramble, since her shield had a much larger cone. You could stack 4-5 D.Vas on the final point and rotate shields to prevent anything from getting to it. All of the same problems she has right now (low damage, incoherent kit, ult that only kills new players, occupies same design space as Winston while being worse than Winston) were still there.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Even if you're not playing in competitive-level events, some people have fun by being effective. If you look at Tracer and go "I LOVE PLUCKY FIGHTER PILOTS WITH A SCI-FI TWIST," that's fine but some of us were like "oh poo poo you mean I can play TF2 Scout but with even more insane bullshit? SIGN ME UP"

I dont understand people who pay at least 40 dollars on a PvP game where you play on a team of 5 other people against a team of 6 other people to complete an objective faster than they can using teamwork, and then act like wanting to win a few rounds every so often--or at least make it close--is some is some fussy particularity.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ularg posted:

I do that because if I'm going to be forced to play tank I might as well have some fun. :colbert:

If it's a map/loadout where you actually need a tank, I'd honestly rather have no tank because then maybe someone will switch to someone that isn't D.Va. This isn't even part of the regularly scheduled "poo poo on D.Va" talk no matter how accurate that is. She's just Not a Tank.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Radical posted:

i hope we can have another 100 pages of hot takes as to whether or not dva is actually bad

:ironicat:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

People didn't know what NERF THIS meant is probably the big difference.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

D. Va is fun to play on the basis of being a big stompy robit with shotgun hands but the headshot hit box being so big is kind of dumb

Admittedly, playing on consoles means that the average pub player can't hit it anyway, but still

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ddraig posted:

Just remove D.Va in my opinion.

Anything she can do Winston can do better, Winston can do anything better than her.

e: She's literally just an attempt to win back Korean players into Blizzard games after they hosed up so badly with SC2.

No, they should fix D.Va. I genuinely like her abilities and design more than Winston's. The gameplay of having two health bars, one being very squishy but still dangerous, is enjoyable to me. I'd like to have an evasive ability as a pilot, or have the passive, but not damage, rate on the mech calldown increased, but having the mech's head hitbox changed would also do wonders. Also, give her her own niche, so people stop saying she's just another Winston.

exquisite tea posted:

I want to play the arcade games in Hanamura instead of skirmish when I'm waiting for a new match.

Holy poo poo. Even just really simple mini-game versions, like Splatoon's, would be so good.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 27, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

D. Va is fun to play on the basis of being a big stompy robit with shotgun hands but the headshot hit box being so big is kind of dumb

Admittedly, playing on consoles means that the average pub player can't hit it anyway, but still
I believe the term is rabbot. Or robunny.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

It only get difficult when I see something like NO SUPPORT NO DEFENSE NO TANK etc etc.

If it's deep into the timer, this is usually my cue to take a character I'm super uncomfortable with. Take yourself a practice round with Tracer or something and accept the L upfront.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they need to change her ultimate voice line to 'BUFF THIS'

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Onean posted:

No, they should fix D.Va. I genuinely like her abilities and design more than Winston's. The gameplay of having two health bars, one being very squishy but still dangerous, is enjoyable to me. I'd like to have an evasive ability as a pilot, or have the passive, but not damage, rate on the mech calldown increased, but having the mech's head hitbox changed would also do wonders. Also, give her her own niche, so people stop saying she's just another Winston.

Holy poo poo. Even just really simple mini-game versions, like Splatoon's, would be so good.

Put the weak point on the mechs back, give pilot mode more speed and lucios wall running (brining the Titanfall reference all the way). I'm not really sure if her weapon is strong enough or not, it can certainly dispatch the weaker heroes quick.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My point of contention is with the mech's guns. An aggressive character shouldn't feel so impotent.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
imo her boost ability is a suggestion to be a kind of hybrid flanker/tank, at least some of the time. Get into a weird area, say hello with the guns and if enough people turn around use your shield. Also git gud without the mech, your pistol is still pretty good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Give her a top hat. If she's going to be impotent she might as well look impotent.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Do any "gamers", Korean or otherwise, find D.Va's personality endearing?
It's like network TV police procedural levels of misunderstanding a youth culture.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

imo her boost ability is a suggestion to be a kind of hybrid flanker/tank, at least some of the time. Get into a weird area, say hello with the guns and if enough people turn around use your shield. Also git gud without the mech, your pistol is still pretty good.

Her pistol is better than the guns on her tank since she doesn't slow to a crawl to fire it.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

TheTatteredKing posted:

My point of contention is with the mech's guns. An aggressive character shouldn't feel so impotent.

I agree on this point. I never feel particularly threatened when D. Va is shooting at me. Her damage is just too low to really cause much alarm.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
D.Va is a bully that boosts into people and grinds them with shotguns while they're being bumped. That's how she's at her best. Her problem is that once she isn't literally inside her target, her damage falls off almost immediately.

Question: I got 400 XP for something called Backflow. Anyone know what that is?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

giver her plasma guns for mid-range combat

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there some arcane witchery involved in getting kills as Hanzo? Everyone else seems to be pulling off amazing shots from across the map but I can't hit dick all.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Suspicious Cook posted:

It was probably Backfill, and that's when you join a game already in progress.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

dva being really weak is intentional because of her lore as a korean gamer, shes throwing on purpose because the match is fixed.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

MY ABACUS! posted:

It's like network TV police procedural levels of misunderstanding a youth culture.

Not endearing, but certainly enjoyable enough in the same over-the-top way as every other hero in this game.

And it's not even close to that bad. Those are painful. D.Va just has a couple lines I cringe at.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

D.va being short range is fine, just not so utterly short range that backstepping half a pace renders her harmless. Change the fall off of her guns and that'd go a long way

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

MY ABACUS! posted:

The pre-launch Korean tourny had at least 12 DVa cosplayers for a cosplay contest and 1 or 2 of anything else.

And then a Winston won to make things come full circle.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Cook posted:

XP bonus for backfilling a game in progress, mostly because someone left.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

D.va honestly doesn't require that much buffing to be good, they just need to decide what they want her to be good at. If you want her to be a proper tank and do tank stuff, just flat out remove defence matrix's cooldown. Have it be a toggle like Reinhardt's shield and let her just sit there and intercept enemy fire with it all day. If you want her to be a semi-tank like Roadhog make her guns less lovely and don't make her headshot box be the entire giant faceplate of her mech.

I feel like they're kind of undecided on which of these things they want her to be and so she's stuck in a bad place where there are just objectively better options for either playstyle.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

MY ABACUS! posted:

I mean would it make you feel better if they dropped her voice lines in favor of her saying "git gud fgt fuccboi" and "uninstall friend of the family trash" in allchat?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Brannock posted:

Numbani is awful, IMO. It's super twisty, with loads of obstacles that block LOS, making it very difficult for long range heroes to do work here on attack. The final corner is a complete slaughter zone since it's so incredibly open yet forces the attackers to approach through two routes that are easily viewed and defended. I've very frequently had 5-6 minutes of utter futility on the final point on Numbani. It being so open means it's very, very difficult to round up all the defender for a final push to win. Playing on defense isn't much fun either since there's few access points and a whole bunch of dead ends so you end up throwing yourself directly against the spearpoint of the attacking push.

Numbani's last push actually has 3 openings, one is just not very viewable and it requires going through the catwalk above, going to the left and down the stairs and you can set up a flank. The fact that the third opening is kind of hidden and requires knowledge of the map layout makes it harder to take because most people just opt for the tunnel or going right, almost always.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Steve2911 posted:

Is there some arcane witchery involved in getting kills as Hanzo? Everyone else seems to be pulling off amazing shots from across the map but I can't hit dick all.

Take him to the practice range and plink at the robits. Aim slightly higher than you think you need to, esspecially at longer ranges.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Brosnan posted:

I mean would it make you feel better if they dropped her voice lines in favor of her saying "git gud fgt fuccboi" and "uninstall friend of the family trash" in allchat?

I now want this.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It'd be cool if Dva had mini-versions of her mecha abilities in pilot mode. Like rocket boots to leap away from things and a personal barrier that doesn't last very long. Honestly, half the time I play her, it feels like I'm playing a game of chicken where I'm seeing how long I can stay in pilot mode even when the mecha is available for deployment, waiting for a situation where the mech is more relevant. Her pistol just seems like a much better weapon than the fusion cannons on the mecha.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

Give her a top hat. If she's going to be impotent she might as well look impotent.

New thread title please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cephas posted:

It'd be cool if Dva had mini-versions of her mecha abilities in pilot mode. Like rocket boots to leap away from things and a personal barrier that doesn't last very long. Honestly, half the time I play her, it feels like I'm playing a game of chicken where I'm seeing how long I can stay in pilot mode even when the mecha is available for deployment, waiting for a situation where the mech is more relevant. Her pistol just seems like a much better weapon than the fusion cannons on the mecha.

Yup. I honestly think her mech guns are in a fine place right now. Two biggest changes I'd want to see is some more maneuverability/survivability in her pilot form and some kind of buff to her ult that makes it not complete garbage. Then I think she'd be in a great place.