Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lazlow posted:

Is it just me or does the Frothing Madman's Doomsday attack sound like the Swedish Chef?

Also:. gently caress THE GODDAMN COLLECTOR

Collector stuns easily, so punch his lights out a couple of rounds, then taking him out will be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Huh, I could never seem to stun him so I stopped trying. Guess I'll try it again, maybe body my stunners with trinkets.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

imo the only stunner who should not have a +stun trinket sellotaped to their forehead at all times is probably the Crusader

i have reversed my previous, curious stance on Blackjack for the dogman, but i never have him in the front rows anyway

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

imo the only stunner who should not have a +stun trinket sellotaped to their forehead at all times is probably the Crusader

i have reversed my previous, curious stance on Blackjack for the dogman, but i never have him in the front rows anyway

If you have a Bounty Hunter and you're not relying on them as your primary stunner they can pretty easily afford to skip it due to their high natural stun chance.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I just beat the Brigand Vvulf, there doesn't seem to be much info about him online yet. How often does his event trigger? I've only found two streams so far of people beating him.

I do think it's pretty bullshit that even if you dodge his bomb it still lands and blows up though.

Oh yeah, and the Highwayman has been massively improved. When did that happen? One of my favorite classes now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you have a Bounty Hunter and you're not relying on them as your primary stunner they can pretty easily afford to skip it due to their high natural stun chance.

Yeah sorry I meant 'stunner' as 'person who you want to use stun skills' in the first half of the sentence and then changed my mind and started going on about 'people who can stun' because I am very wise

BH is never a primary stunner, imo, just an opportunistic flashbanger/uppercutter. his damage bonuses are great

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

I just beat the Brigand Vvulf, there doesn't seem to be much info about him online yet. How often does his event trigger? I've only found two streams so far of people beating him.

I do think it's pretty bullshit that even if you dodge his bomb it still lands and blows up though.

Oh yeah, and the Highwayman has been massively improved. When did that happen? One of my favorite classes now.

Just ran into this event, bloody hell that's loving brutal. I had 5 level 5 dudes to pick from and thought "well he should probably be doable if it's giving me the event right?" so I upgraded their armour to the new level I just unlocked and then went in, never done the Darkest Dungeon before so didn't know you didn't get to pick who gets killed if you retreat. Nearly lost my leper to a heart attack before we even got to the boss and then lost my grave robber (who was my favourite of the 4) and her two very good trinkets when I retreated. I did at least find a side room with like 4 trinkets in as a reward in their but man, that event is a fucker. Probably should have ignored it and taken the hit to the upgrades.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I just skipped the Vvulf myself after reading your post and watching this, which was interesting if a bit annoying. I only have 2 level six dudes and I don't want to lose anyone atm. To be honest I can't tell what improvement(s) was destroyed, so, bonus, I guess?

Just now I started a level 5 medicine gathering expedition - walked through five rooms without a single incident (well, dodged a trap) and found the three meds. Part of me wants to go back right now because when does that ever happen? But I need the cash, so...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Was playing today when I found this:

The symbol for a crone's curse of vulnerability is a slightly modified version of the nábrók (e. necropants) glyph from Icelandic sorcery.

The general idea of necropants is that you would get someone to agree to let you use their skin for witchcraft after death. Then once they died you'd dig them up and very slowly and carefully skin them below the waist until you had pants that were one piece with no holes. Then you'd have to steal a coin from a poor widow during mass on one of the major holidays. Then you must take that coin and place it in the scrotum. If you did everything the coin should spontaneously generate more and more coins forever making you effectively the richest person in the world. However the catch is that you can never take the pants off unless you can finds someone willing to take the pants. If you wear them for too long they begin to attach themselves to you so the longer you wear them the harder it is to get them off later. According to some stories your body and soul will both become corrupted and begin to rot if you wear them for too long and if you die while wearing the pants you are damned.

It might be a deliberate reference but since the attack in question doesn't seem to have any connection with any sort of pants or greed I think it might be a case of the artist looking up magical symbols online and picking the one he thought was the coolest.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What happens if you're wearing the nabrok and get caught in a jokulhaup while running from jormungandr?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The general idea of necropants is that you would get someone to agree to let you use their skin for witchcraft after death. Then once they died you'd dig them up and very slowly and carefully skin them below the waist until you had pants that were one piece with no holes. Then you'd have to steal a coin from a poor widow during mass on one of the major holidays. Then you must take that coin and place it in the scrotum. If you did everything the coin should spontaneously generate more and more coins forever making you effectively the richest person in the world. However the catch is that you can never take the pants off unless you can finds someone willing to take the pants. If you wear them for too long they begin to attach themselves to you so the longer you wear them the harder it is to get them off later. According to some stories your body and soul will both become corrupted and begin to rot if you wear them for too long and if you die while wearing the pants you are damned.

It might be a deliberate reference but since the attack in question doesn't seem to have any connection with any sort of pants or greed I think it might be a case of the artist looking up magical symbols online and picking the one he thought was the coolest.
Gonna add necropants to the random drop loot table for the next pen & paper RPG I run.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
For some reason I never thought I'd read fun facts about the occult in here.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fargin Icehole posted:

For some reason I never thought I'd read fun facts about the occult in here.

I came here for a good, family friendly and wholesome old time! :cry:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I forgot to mention it but obviously you had to put something with the symbol written or carved into it into the scrotum along with the coin. Obviously.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I've got balls that jingle jangle jingle

jingle jangle

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

skin them below the waist until you had pants that were one piece with no holes

is it me or is there a bit of a flaw here

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah you'd have to align their butthole with your butthole so you could poop without taking them off

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

He will be laughing still... at the end.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Honestly I only come to this thread now to quote the ancestor.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

S.J. posted:

Yeah you'd have to align their butthole with your butthole so you could poop without taking them off

the poor caretaker... it seems his duties here have... affected him...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Recently started this game up again to try my hand at NG+ and got soundly whipped.

Gotta get back into the groove I guess.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
The only reason to restart this game is if you somehow completely wipe and can't progress, right? There's no time-locked content, as in: beat x boss before week 20?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

NG+ puts a clock over your actions but the base game doesn't so you're free to take as much time and as many tries as you need.

The only reason to restart would be if you somehow lost all your adventurers, could only scrounge up four replacements off the stagecoach, and one of them was an Abomination while one or more of the others were religious.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 27, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

NG+ puts a clock over your actions but the base game doesn't so you're free to take as much time and as many tries as you need.

The only reason to restart would be if you somehow lost all your adventurers, could only scrounge up four replacements off the stagecoach, and one of them was an Abomination while one or more of the others were religious.

Even then you could use backer characters to make a party.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Collector is seriously spooky. First time I ran into him he wiped out my team while they only slightly inconvenienced him. Ran into him again and only lost the rookie arbalest i brought along because everyone better was busy or dead.

Either wizards didn't think bungholes counted or the idea was to cut holes for piss and poop after the necropants had grafted themselves to your flesh.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 28, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hahaha

Duties :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Miron so fat you could house a family of four in his necropants.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:v:

:v:

:suicide:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol, mardi gras at the hamlet

dismas and reynald go out with strings of beads, encounter a witch in the weald, immediately get afflicted

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I laughed way too hard at this. An incredible display of hatred from the RNG.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Anyone else getting inexplicable penalties when starting quests? A few times now one hero gets a "town" penalty of -10 to ACC for the entire quest, but no events have fired. Using the "coming in hot" version.

Now I think of it, it might only be only Dismas and Reynaud.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Lazlow posted:

Anyone else getting inexplicable penalties when starting quests? A few times now one hero gets a "town" penalty of -10 to ACC for the entire quest, but no events have fired. Using the "coming in hot" version.

Now I think of it, it might only be only Dismas and Reynaud.

If you send someone to the bar, they occasionally come back with a double vision quirk which will affect their ACC for the next quest. I know the Brothel and flagellation place also have a chance of temporary quirks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

+5 speed for getting laid is really pretty astounding

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Just had a brigand attack on the Hamlet as a town event, entirely new map with a new brigand boss and some of the regulars with wolf headcovers, pretty neat stuff. Lost a level 6 Helion to it, but I blame that mostly on the quest popping up at a really bad time stress/downtime wise, he seemed a fair bit weaker than the "regular" bosses. Interestingly, the quest was level 6 like the DD and also shared the "retreat kills one of your heroes" penalty.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

You mean the Brigand Vvulf? Or something different?

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
That's the one, yes

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
How often do you set your frequency for town events? Starting a new game, so haven't gotten any yet. How often do they usually fire?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

What in the everloving gently caress, I'm trying to take out the 16 pounder and it's not letting me target the Matchman at all. He was just summoned and is in the last rank, I can't even select him to look at his stats.

Aaaaand of course he lit the fuse and wiped the party. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Sephyr posted:

How often do you set your frequency for town events? Starting a new game, so haven't gotten any yet. How often do they usually fire?

I have it set on default and it seems like you get one about once every three outings.