Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Also there might be some weird swings in commodity prices going on. Or at least running tobacco from Skvortsov to Walker went from +300 per ton to -120 in about an hour SOOOOOO keep an eye out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Out of curiosity: what are people looking for, exactly, content-wise? Everyone always throws that line around, no content, mile wide, inch deep etc etc, but I never really got what people are expecting. There seems to be plenty of stuff to do in the game, especially now that there's this whole randomized loot/farming/grinding thing added in. Lots of interesting ways to customize your ship. Like at what point do you say "OK, there's an adequate amount of things to do"?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As much as I joke about all the Elite Adders, with the way combat ranking is ENTIRELY tied to the rank of your targets, reducing the amount of rank on NPCs would only increase the ranking grind, while still seeing "Mostly Harmless" Corvettes with all the trimmings.

All we would get is a label change and reduction of ranking gains, effectively.

So, clearly we will see this change to "Add immersion and realism" in the future.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Out of curiosity: what are people looking for, exactly, content-wise? Everyone always throws that line around, no content, mile wide, inch deep etc etc, but I never really got what people are expecting. There seems to be plenty of stuff to do in the game, especially now that there's this whole randomized loot/farming/grinding thing added in. Lots of interesting ways to customize your ship. Like at what point do you say "OK, there's an adequate amount of things to do"?

Even if the pay was still the usual "Barely cover expenses if you are lucky" Bboards love to throw at you, I would love to be able to consistently get LEGAL combat missions. And also for Bboard mission completion to directly add to your pilot federation ranking (Because you can take several combat missions and have it do literally nothing for your Combat Ranking, the way things stand).

It gets frustrating when I decide "You know what? Let's actually try doing something for FUN legal combat/space cop wise!" and then the Bboard basically tells me to go gently caress myself for not just RES farming like a good boy if I want to do anything but get missions to murder cops, miners, bounty hunters, or "contract cancel' missions where identical mission text still means a coin flip between if the mission target is wanted or clean.

It feels even more stupid when it's Naval Rank Ups. "You must prove your loyalty and that you have the best interest of the Empire/Federation citizens in mind! Now, would you like to kill cops, kill miners, smuggle illegal scrap metal, or for us to tell you to go gently caress yourself for not being the trade equivalent of Deadly to ship these five washing machines? Yes we know this is the tenth time you have refreshed the board and only gotten more of the same"

At least (hopefully) now you can actually take missions without it whining I'm not good enough to do their high risk, get hosed if you are caught, for chump pay jobs due to my ranking (Right?).

My entire vague "Goal" outside of ships (And never selling them), has always been to get in good with the Navy on both sides on principle, and basically keep my nose clean bounty wise while trying to be a PvE Space Cop. Round out my various Federation ranks to at least Dangerous tier territory, Elite is right out.

But that's basically been just RES farming due to how asinine the Bboards can be, and my Empire rank was frozen at Zero from launch to somewhat recently.

EDIT: I would also give more of a poo poo about unlockable parts if we had any way to practically store+swap em around. Or at LEAST permanently unlock them to buy as needed. But since I prefer ships that can land on outposts with a minimum of a Vulture's jumps capability (And someday, a Type-9 for MAXIMUM TRUCK", my small garage of ships may actually see the desire to be tricked if they tone down the Skynet NPCs.

As it is, to me Engineers is basically "We buffed all the NPCs with poo poo you will probably never see even when you DO try to get it! Enjoy!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 27, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Copy paste Rebel Galaxy with the Elite stuff. Flesh out more exploration missions. Hey rush cargo here's good money. Thanks for taking out those nasty pirates here's some good money. Looking to be a merc? Here's a kill contract and some good money.

Edit: Endless Space a 2D free game on Steam would also be a nice place to start with copying mission setups and such.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 27, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I would like something fun and reasonably profitable to do in my iCourier other than mill around RES sites until the sun comes up.

EDIT: also it would be cool if Supercruise wasn't just managing your throttle in a featureless void given how much time everyone spends in it.

EDIT EDIT: it's also terrible that the entire Engineers package is gated behind Horizons, especially given that people who aren't getting Engineers upgrades will still have to play against NPC ships that do have them and the advanced thrusters are basically going to define small ships.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 27, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

At least (hopefully) now you can actually take missions without it whining I'm not good enough to do their high risk, get hosed if you are caught, for chump pay jobs due to my ranking (Right?).

Yes. However, right now trade and courier missions have a chance of having their destinations changed mid-mission, and if that happens there's a chance that the destination change won't work and the mission will become impossible to complete as it won't appear at either the old or new destination. Also, every faction leader has a chance of personally disliking you, in which case they'll always give you garbage job boards for no reason regardless of your rank and faction reputation. I recommend staying away from missions until :frontear: gets their poo poo together.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes. However, right now trade and courier missions have a chance of having their destinations changed mid-mission, and if that happens there's a chance that the destination change won't work and the mission will become impossible to complete as it won't appear at either the old or new destination. Also, every faction leader has a chance of personally disliking you, in which case they'll always give you garbage job boards for no reason regardless of your rank and faction reputation. I recommend staying away from missions until :frontear: gets their poo poo together.

Did... Did they at least finally fix planetary escape pod missions from being able to fail literally as soon as you get them, so even taking them with a 32 cargo hold filled with escape pods isn't fast enough to complete them? :saddowns: Or did they really just add ships patrolling planetary assaults and call it a day.

I only hopped onto the Planetary assaults grind in the first place a while back due to just getting tired of bugs upon bugs upon bugs telling me to go gently caress myself regarding my Empire ranking as it was. It's the only time I've gotten a notable bounty on purpose outside of seeing the mission NPC Ive been chasing for ages was "Whoops, turns out it's clean! Even though the last two times you took this identical mission with identical text was wanted!" and killing them anyways rather than throwing all my time and effort into the garbage.

Yeah yeah, bounties are an idiot tax. But I like not being attacked by bounty hunter NPCs in an anarchy zone after they scan me (without suicideing myself onto somebody), and I would like it if I didn't have to worry about getting bounties for loving stupid reasons/because clean combat jobs that don't involve meeting a buggy contact in 30 minutes are as rare as snowflakes in a binary star jump in.

EDIT: I just wanted plain old Bboards to not be an obtuse barely working clusterfuck, why is this so much to ask, WHY must I ask for it in the first place :negative:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 27, 2016

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

:siren:Vive Users!:siren:

So its true they hosed up the patch notes but apparently they did change the UI scale for Vive Users they just aren't letting us control that scale, its done automatically. I haven't tried but apparently playing in the Vive is way better according to some, will try later tonight.

If the UI differences on Vive are suppose to be 'better' I don't think I agree. The UI icons look grossly low-res and stretched out - like the dock icon and the compass circle.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
so i have to be grinding to find signal sources, which i'm grinding to find components, which i'm grinding to buy engineer upgrades, which i have to grind to unlock better upgrades.

there are Issues here

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Main Paineframe posted:

Also, every faction leader has a chance of personally disliking you, in which case they'll always give you garbage job boards for no reason regardless of your rank and faction reputation.
Please tell me that's a bug rather than by design. :psyduck:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Arach posted:

If the UI differences on Vive are suppose to be 'better' I don't think I agree. The UI icons look grossly low-res and stretched out - like the dock icon and the compass circle.

Once I'm home I'll do some dumb tweaking and see whats what.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Also, every faction leader has a chance of personally disliking you, in which case they'll always give you garbage job boards for no reason regardless of your rank and faction reputation. I recommend staying away from missions until :frontear: gets their poo poo together.

Ahahaha is this actually true? :allears:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

are there any entries for a new thread title yet? because this is mine:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons 2.1 - Swirly Green Beams Of Love

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Arach posted:

Screwing around with the graphics settings made it look a lot worse for me, maybe you're seeing that. After restarting the game it reverted and made it a whole lot better.

Some of the text, like material descriptions, and the HUD when flying near planets still is a bit low res, but most of it is pretty good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons 2.1 - Dying as Intended

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Elite Dangerous: Horizons 2.1 - They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
hey guys, guess what

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
ELITE JUST GOT DANGEROUS :cool:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Elite Dangerous - Gonna die histrionic on an NPCs load

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Elite Dangerous 2.1: The Grind Will Increase Until Morale Improves

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Elite Dangerous - Gonna die histrionic on an NPCs load

drat man, I like it.

Also, I found a sane, possibly employed and not hypersperg person on reddit!

quote:

[–]firemarshalbill 22 points 4 hours ago

In the end Elite will be a dude just spamming GIT GUD without realizing nobody else is left.

Love this game, these boards are full of loving nuts though.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Elite Dangerous 2.1: Voiding Your Warranty Since 3301

Elite Dangerous 2.1: Engineered to Perplexion

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Elite Dangerous: The Path to Star Citizen

Alternative

Elite Dangerous: Disappointment Levels Critical

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Just think about all those non-Horizon's players who are now basically being told "either you upgrade or you're going to always be outmatched by NPC and Player ships due to engineer mods, suck our dicks".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just think of all those wow players who never got to fight the lich king because they didn't buy the expansion. And they were paying monthly on top of it! Tyool 2016 game development :homebrew:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Please tell me that's a bug rather than by design. :psyduck:

Pretty sure it's by design. Both me and another person have max rep with a particular faction, but he gets great missions and flavor text about how great it is that he came by for another visit and how happy they are to see him, while I get poo poo missions and flavor text about how much the faction rep hates seeing my face and how they're surprised someone with such high rep is the type of person they absolutely personally hate.

I can see exactly what Frontier is thinking with that - it makes factions feel less interchangeable and gives players a bit more impetus to wander the galaxy in search of factions that particularly like them, while giving everyone a slightly different experience. It's also an enormous pain in the rear end for players who want to choose a particular faction to stick with on their own without being randomly penalized like this, and makes it even more annoying to find good profitable places to do missions. Once again, it's sacrificing fun and playability and player freedom for the sake of ~the experience~.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think it's some grand philosophical failing. It's just a decision that adds a 'heh, cool' if you even notice it for most players, but is absolutely ballbreaking if you want to push big harry's resistance but it turns out big harry hates you. It's a cool idea not worth the cost of implementing it.

(Come to think of it you could have the same 'heh cool' effect if they just bitched at you but still offered the same missions)

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
FDev are the kind of people who care more about the headcannon of whatever stupid dumb thing they implemented than how the playerbase reacts to it and how good or bad it is for the game. Engineer-modded weapons could simply have been folded into the standard weapon selection and leave the actual module enhancement as a recipe you use. I'm glad they added deterministic ways to choose the special effect, but it just seems like a hell of a stretch of REALISM to have these genius tinkerers literally just throwing poo poo together and being like "Hey i uh just trivially invented an entirely new weapon concept, um take it i guess".

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
E:D would be vastly improved if the dev team took a month off to play the many many space sims that have been released and take some inspiration / rip them off wholesale. Sometimes I get the feeling that the last time any of them played someone else's video game was 1995.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6SzrRhKG6M

A Frontier forums moderator addresses everyone's concerns in the most lowkey scathing way possible. Truly astonishing.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
WOW I CAN MINE IN ICE FIELDS NOW?! THIS IS LIKE A WHOLE NEW GAME WOAAAAAAAAAAAA

mining different texture rocks... these devs are godlike...

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Can I still imagine myself loving inside of these ships, though?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

grilldos posted:

Can I still imagine myself loving inside of these ships, though?

loving in a sidewinder is the closest thing i could imagine to loving in the back of a volkswagon beetle.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

nightwisher posted:

Just think about all those non-Horizon's players who are now basically being told "either you upgrade or you're going to always be outmatched by NPC and Player ships due to engineer mods, suck our dicks".

Hey, that's me! :)

:(

How much are the large multi cannons, anyway? Anyone stocking them around Xihe?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

"If the game felt like it was basically dead, engines numbers algorithms, there was no face to it... well... as you can see, there are avatars now in the game, they are randomly generated, there's always a face, always a picture, um thats always new and fresh, adds a lot to the game"

a Frontier moderator, 2016

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Capn Beeb posted:

Hey, that's me! :)

:(

How much are the large multi cannons, anyway? Anyone stocking them around Xihe?

I got some gimballed ones at Gende for like 500K credits.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Turmoil posted:

I got some gimballed ones at Gende for like 500K credits.

I got gimballed ones at the CG station that deals with bounty hunting.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I would like to just see the in game tech evolve at a quicker pace.

I know there was supposed to be a dark age or something where a lot of tech was lost, but still shouldn't prevent simple innovation from happening.

Some design decisions like simple ship systems using as much power as a small neighborhood is just absurd.
The chaff launcher uses 200 kW. The class A kill warrant scanner uses 3.2 mW.
In comparison the 7A FSD uses .9 mW. Why would a ship scanner use 3.5 times the power than a system that can propel a 2500T vessel over a dozen light-years away?

The engineers are a good step towards this, but I'd also like to see "standard" components that you can buy that are upgraded from the start.

They also need to automate some of the grind. Being able to hire NPCs to do loop trading would be so nice.
Do it like the side-game in the Assassin's Creed games where you'd send ships off to do missions and the success would depend on the experience of the crew and difficulty of the mission.

You pick an easy route and earn your money back and then some or take some risks and lose some or all of your investment, but have a much better payout if you succeed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Tun has been somewhat nerfed. There's now only a couple of donation missions at a time, and donation missions can ask for a LOT more stuff. Some of the credit donation missions ask for as much as 750k at once, and I've seen goods donation missions asking for 80+ tons of stuff at a time. They do seem to boost your Fed rank a bit more than before, but they'll also suck out your money a LOT faster, so buying your way to Fed rank is going to be a lot more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

nightwisher posted:

FDev are the kind of people who care more about the headcannon of whatever stupid dumb thing they implemented than how the playerbase reacts to it and how good or bad it is for the game. Engineer-modded weapons could simply have been folded into the standard weapon selection and leave the actual module enhancement as a recipe you use. I'm glad they added deterministic ways to choose the special effect, but it just seems like a hell of a stretch of REALISM to have these genius tinkerers literally just throwing poo poo together and being like "Hey i uh just trivially invented an entirely new weapon concept, um take it i guess".

This right here was my last straw. Why they chose to go this route, I don't know, but it's just... boring :sigh:.

I heard Evochron Legacy was good?

• Locked thread