Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Overwatch is cool and complaining that a competitive shooter doesn't have Borderlands shooty numbers is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Im surprised that overwatch is so buzzed about with like 3 game modes.

I'll wait to see how it develops before jumping in.

The characters seem cool though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you can just watch how fast their health bars go down?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

NecroMonster posted:

And honestly, it's not like Overwatch is perfect either, the game is, for instance, lacking floating damage number feed back or at least hit ding options making it at best difficult to tell if some tactics are having any effect at all.

Its also a very low tick rate FPS with shooter side preferential prediction. Evasion and maneuver are extremely deprecated compared to standard non-console shooters.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

And honestly, it's not like Overwatch is perfect either, the game is, for instance, lacking floating damage number feed back or at least hit ding options making it at best difficult to tell if some tactics are having any effect at all.
That is a pretty minor quip compared to. Well. To SFV problems

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Why do people seem to not be very into 3rd person shoots but all over 1st person ones?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bisse posted:

You've made me ponder on which was worse, sfv problems or sf x tk problems.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Overwatch is cool and complaining that a competitive shooter doesn't have Borderlands shooty numbers is dumb.

Your a dumb rear end lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

SectumSempra posted:

The game modes/maps thing about games has always been sort of a weird complaint to me. I mean it certainly wildly depends on how GOOD the game modes and maps are but I would be down for one game mode one map even if the game was good enough.

You don't hear people complaining about chess saying "Yeah but there's only one game mode and one board"

I mean look at rocket league, the core gameplay is fun enough that they added different modes and maps but honestly they probably didn't have to

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

Why do people seem to not be very into 3rd person shoots but all over 1st person ones?

It's more natural for a human to understand a first person viewpoint. It's like the difference between telling someone how to do an intricate task and simply doing it yourself.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SectumSempra posted:

There's not a lot of competitive MP 3rd person shooters, and the ones that exist aren't AAA-level. I tried a F2P one for a while and it was pretty fun, but then it got hosed with too hard and died.

Stefan Prodan posted:

The game modes/maps thing about games has always been sort of a weird complaint to me. I mean it certainly wildly depends on how GOOD the game modes and maps are but I would be down for one game mode one map even if the game was good enough.

You don't hear people complaining about chess saying "Yeah but there's only one game mode and one board"

I mean look at rocket league, the core gameplay is fun enough that they added different modes and maps but honestly they probably didn't have to

Same here. I mean, we're posting this on a fighting game thread, the epitome of "there's only one mode".

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It's more natural for a human to understand a first person viewpoint. It's like the difference between telling someone how to do an intricate task and simply doing it yourself.

I mean i doubt thats why because 3rd person games in general are still popular, but its a point.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

Your a dumb rear end lol

How do I tell when I'm shooting someone :saddowns:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Its also a very low tick rate FPS with shooter side preferential prediction. Evasion and maneuver are extremely deprecated compared to standard non-console shooters.

the low tick rate is fine i love being hooked around walls and watching killcams where I never leapt out of danger.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bisse posted:

20 tick is basically the FPS equivalent.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
overwatch has a few probs but its actually a Good Game

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

How do I tell when I'm shooting someone :saddowns:

how do you tell when you are hitting soemone around a corner or out of sight with aoe attacks that are hurting them but not killing them?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

how do you tell when you are hitting soemone around a corner or out of sight with aoe attacks that are hurting them but not killing them?

the crosshairs turn into an x

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

is there actually some sort of feedback for that because it'd be cool to know. I'm just used to tf2 doing this through damage numbers and hit dings.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

is there actually some sort of feedback for that because it'd be cool to know. I'm just used to tf2 doing this through damage numbers and hit dings.

There are hit dings (lower volume than TF2s, not sure if adjustable) and health bars.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you get a higher pitched ding for headshots too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Pomp posted:

you get a higher pitched ding for headshots too.

And the x turns red. I wish I had my quake damage ping though.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

20 tick is basically the FPS equivalent.

yeah, i actually think that 20 tick is probably more egregious than 8f input delay

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stiknork posted:

yeah, i actually think that 20 tick is probably more egregious than 8f input delay

Yes and no. Things hit that absolutely never should have in the first place, and the value of cover is negated somewhat as a result, but it's server dictated, so it's truly equal for all players, wheras SFV can have one player rubberbanding all over the place while the other guy is having an acceptable experience.

It's a big problem when you're getting shot at by a sniper/rocket launcher type, but not so much when something like a heavy weapons guy is shooting at you.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 27, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Yes and no. Things hit that absolutely never should have in the first place, and the value of cover is negated somewhat as a result, but it's server dictated, so it's truly equal for all players, wheras SFV can have one player rubberbanding all over the place while the other guy is having an acceptable experience.

Okay, but 8f input delay is not rollback. It applies to every player equally.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay, but 8f input delay is not rollback. It applies to every player equally.

It's part of the overall experience, though, and to be fair, 8f ~= 20 tick is a fair comparison. Both favor the aggressor pretty heavily.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it is actually in many cases impossible to be shot by a sniper and dive for cover before the second shot. The killcam will frequently show you just doing your thing as the second shot goes off.

blizzard isn't capcom though and might actually do something about it, and has a higher tick option for tournaments :yum:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

It's part of the overall experience, though, and to be fair, 8f ~= 20 tick is a fair comparison. Both favor the aggressor pretty heavily.

I feel like you're prediction-dodging more often than not in FPSs tho, while fighting games have reaction-based defense. The opposite goes for offensive play. 20 tick is pretty rough tho.

Street Fighter V: We Talk About Overwatch Now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

Is it really a thing? There are a ton of 3rd person shooters, especially on consoles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pomp posted:

blizzard isn't capcom though and might actually do something about it, and has a higher tick option for tournaments :yum:

There is a high-tick option for custom matches already.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Pomp posted:

blizzard allowed people to give them extra money from day one, which is very risky in my opinion. they should have played it safe like capcom and actively refused to take people's money for a few months.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

well that's all quiet and understated as hell, no wonder I didn't know it was there. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Personally, I'm hoping that Bethesda/id's next game is a Quake 1 reboot/remake/sequel, and comes with a classic arena shooter MP mode.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A.o.D. posted:

Personally, I'm hoping that Bethesda/id's next game is a Quake 1 reboot/remake/sequel, and comes with a classic arena shooter MP mode.

id love that

also overwatch is cool and good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want Unreal Tournament to be done and together with Overwatch, that'll fulfill all my MP FPS needs.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I just want Unreal Tournament to be done and together with Overwatch, that'll fulfill all my MP FPS needs.
overwatch is actually perfect for long time ut99 players, i think that game had a tickrate of 15-20

my pharah play is real good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

dhamster posted:

I remember a contingent of goons in the OW thread were pretty sick of it after a short time in alpha. The whole internet seems to like it now so :shrug:

Yeah that was me and then I bought it anyway so idk

Its a fun game and the lore is screaming INCOMING HORDE MODE which should also be fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah that was me and then I bought it anyway so idk

Its a fun game and the lore is screaming INCOMING HORDE MODE which should also be fun.

do they have an update schedule published or are they much smarter than capcom

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SectumSempra posted:

If SFV's core gameplay and netcode were actually well made and fun then no one would give a gently caress about its dumb lack of modes or other bells and whistles because people would be too busy having fun to give a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Baal posted:

If SFV's core gameplay and netcode were actually well made and fun then no one would give a gently caress about its dumb lack of modes or other bells and whistles because people would be too busy having fun to give a drat.

if you got matches in seconds instead of minutes i'd still be playing