Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I'm not sure if it's even metal any more but i really like the new Katatonia album, it's a massive step up from Dead End Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I don't know who this band is, but listen to Drudkh instead

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TheIllestVillain posted:

I'm not sure if it's even metal any more but i really like the new Katatonia album, it's a massive step up from Dead End Kings.
I like it in a sense, but I've listened to it five or six times so far and I can't remember any of the songs or melodies on it besides Old Heart Falls.

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

WULKAMANIA WILL NEVER DIE
if there's anyone dressed up in a stupid animal costume at MDF this year please punch them in the face for me

EDIT: also here's some black metal québécois to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQzr-WH96iI

pentfixion fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 27, 2016

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Akercocke are playing about 20 mins away from me at a club venue in North London. I feel like I should go

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

henpod posted:

Akercocke are playing about 20 mins away from me at a club venue in North London. I feel like I should go

Probably!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Anyone else digging the new Death Angel album that came out today? It's pretty good so far, but I like it less than Relentless Retribution I think.

Edit: thanks to the dude who recommended Release the Archers, they were just what I was looking for!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

henpod posted:

gently caress yeah - glad they're back.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

pentfixion posted:

if there's anyone dressed up in a stupid animal costume at MDF this year please punch them in the face for me

EDIT: also here's some black metal québécois to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQzr-WH96iI

That dude who dresses up as a chicken is there, it's loving filthy

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

WULKAMANIA WILL NEVER DIE

david crosby posted:

That dude who dresses up as a chicken is there, it's loving filthy

Not a huge Black Witchery fan but shout out to Impurath for kicking that guy during their set a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P09-TWBdt0Y

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

pentfixion posted:

There was a guy in a penis costume

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

TheIllestVillain posted:

It's definitely sounding more and more like (current) Opeth, although without going into their proggy extremes. I really enjoyed it, although I definitely get where you're coming from when you say that you're "not sure if it's even metal anymore."

in an interview I actually asked Jonas about the proggy stuff, and sounding like Opeth, in case anybody wants to read it: http://www.metalblast.net/interviews/hearts-are-falling-an-interview-with-katatonias-jonas-renkse/

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
there was also a camel and a cow

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
10 years from now mdf will be 100% gimmick costumes

its basically gonna be fur-con

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Maryland Yiff Fest

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I think it's silly too, but European festivals are full of people in costumes as well. For many people going to a festival is just an excuse to get wasted, so costumes come up pretty quickly.

The Onion explained it better: http://www.theonion.com/article/new-music-festival-just-large-empty-field-do-drugs-50565

s0urc3
Mar 1, 2009

The ship is now armed and preparing to explode. This will be a fairly large explosion, so you'd best keep back about 22 miles.

henpod posted:

I'm not 100% all in on what I've heard of their most recent stuff, but I'd be real interested to hear how a live show works out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Osmose is offering free worldwide shipping for all orders over 40EUR until Monday morning.
http://www.osmoseproductions.com/index.cfm

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I had some mild misgivings about the new Whispered album when the single songs didn't quite grab me like Lady of the Wind off their previous album did. But I got it anyway, and welp now I'm on my third repeat listen through it. This is some good poo poo.

s0urc3
Mar 1, 2009

The ship is now armed and preparing to explode. This will be a fairly large explosion, so you'd best keep back about 22 miles.

Nordick posted:

I had some mild misgivings about the new Whispered album when the single songs didn't quite grab me like Lady of the Wind off their previous album did. But I got it anyway, and welp now I'm on my third repeat listen through it. This is some good poo poo.

Good to know. Haven't had a chance to listen, but I hear really good things about In Mourning's new album "Afterglow" in that sort of vein.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

God drat I haven't heard 3 Inches of Blood since 2008 and I'm laughing my rear end off at the singing. The opening track on Advance and Vanquish is so retarded, but I love it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

symbolic posted:

Maryland Yiff Fest

Fvr ist krieg

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Vargatron posted:

God drat I haven't heard 3 Inches of Blood since 2008 and I'm laughing my rear end off at the singing. The opening track on Advance and Vanquish is so retarded, but I love it.

Listen to their song "Destroy the Orcs" while playing Orcs Must Die or Warhammer Space Marine. Good times.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

s0urc3 posted:

Good to know. Haven't had a chance to listen, but I hear really good things about In Mourning's new album "Afterglow" in that sort of vein.

Yeah Afterglow is really, really good

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most 3 inches of blood songs are pretty good on their own, you just gotta space them out in a playlist with other stuff in between them, because as I said previously, they all sound exactly the same and it kind of wears your ears out after a few tracks. So buy an album and mix it in.

Really wish they had been a more adventurous band, because their overall tone was great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best part of 3 Inches of Blood is that their ridiculous singer is named Cam Pipes.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

xzzy posted:

Most 3 inches of blood songs are pretty good on their own, you just gotta space them out in a playlist with other stuff in between them, because as I said previously, they all sound exactly the same and it kind of wears your ears out after a few tracks. So buy an album and mix it in.

Really wish they had been a more adventurous band, because their overall tone was great.

Ahhh the amon amarth playlist making

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think the new Vektor might be my least favorite album of the year because it's so perfect and there's nothing else I know of that scratches the itch and I need more of it so badly

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I think it's silly too, but European festivals are full of people in costumes as well. For many people going to a festival is just an excuse to get wasted, so costumes come up pretty quickly.

The only costume I've ever seen around here is the dude who wears black metal spikes and like a fur cuirass thing even though he's not in a band

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite costume thing I've seen at a festival was a bunch of guys in monk robes, doing the thing from Monty Python's Holy Grail where they walked around in a procession chanting and smacking themselves on the face with books. Except the books were pizza boxes in this case.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

A human heart posted:

The only costume I've ever seen around here is the dude who wears black metal spikes and like a fur cuirass thing even though he's not in a band

I've seen this dude at Hellfest two years in a row. He's usually in a crew of other people in ballerina clothes and corpse paint

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What's the difference between grindcore and powerviolence? I've been really getting into Nails.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Gruesome and Angelcorpse are really fuckin good live. Apparently we're getting two Gruesome sets this weekend at MDF as they filled in at Sinister's spot today. Not mad about it

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Varg posted:

Gruesome and Angelcorpse are really fuckin good live. Apparently we're getting two Gruesome sets this weekend at MDF as they filled in at Sinister's spot today. Not mad about it

This is important: did Angelcorpse play "As Predator To Prey"?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What's the difference between grindcore and powerviolence? I've been really getting into Nails.

Powerviolence has more slow parts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Powerviolence is basically hardcore pushed to its furthest extreme. Grind has elements of hardcore but also things like blast beats and more metal riffing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
A friend's band just recorded this rousing tribute to Maryland Deathfest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UivuycunPoY

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

oh my god

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

That was dece, but too long for a novelty song probably.

Every time I see the sign for Gay Street I take a picture and send it to my buds, it's basically always funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

My review of MDF 2016 so far:

Weedeater owns
Mayhem owns
Wormed owns
Gruesome owns
Angelcorpse owns
I'm tired