Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Too much torpedobeat for the ship's sound system to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Furry taco is really really good now, it's basically a baby aoba

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Furry taco is really really good now, it's basically a baby aoba

From what I have seen or remember of the Furry's torpedo arcs, there's a good argument its actually better than Aoba now, to say nothing of being a Tier lower.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I rebought the furry taco just for this reason. I don't know why, but I've been having a blast farting around in Tiers 4-6.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Anybody have any classes you'd like to see in the game? I ended up finding the Alaska class which was actually made in WWII. The problem is after researching the information about it, I am completely at a loss as to where the gently caress it would be on the tech tree, or what class it would be. No seriously, help me out here. It was called a heavy cruiser, and it goes at 33 knots at top speed, but it has something like 220mm of armor at the belt and uses 305mm guns. :psyduck: It's too fast to be a battleship, the guns are way bigger than normal cruiser guns but too small for late-tier battleships, it's armor is a bit too thick for me to call it a cruiser straight up. It seems like it would be a high tier ship of some sort, but what the gently caress do you make of it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rorac posted:

Anybody have any classes you'd like to see in the game? I ended up finding the Alaska class which was actually made in WWII. The problem is after researching the information about it, I am completely at a loss as to where the gently caress it would be on the tech tree, or what class it would be. No seriously, help me out here. It was called a heavy cruiser, and it goes at 33 knots at top speed, but it has something like 220mm of armor at the belt and uses 305mm guns. :psyduck: It's too fast to be a battleship, the guns are way bigger than normal cruiser guns but too small for late-tier battleships, it's armor is a bit too thick for me to call it a cruiser straight up. It seems like it would be a high tier ship of some sort, but what the gently caress do you make of it?

Battlecruisers, as they were literally designed to go fast enough to catch cruisers, and hit them with battleship sized guns and sink them, while being able to deflect or decap 210mm rounds from contemporary cruisers.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 27, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Rorac posted:

IIRC, the Alaskas were actually called "large cruisers", and it kinda makes sense: While they were battlecruisers in terms of size, guns and armor, their basic design wasn't a battleship with less armor and more speed like other battlecruisers, but rather an enlarged cruiser hull, with a cruiser-style steering and machinery setup and no TDS.

German WWI-era battlecruisers and the Scharnhorst twins were similar to the Alaskas, though still more borrowing from BB designs instead of cruisers.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

The issue is that battlecruisers as a class don't really exist in world of warships. Unless wargaming wants to make a new branch, or allow side-branches that rejoin back into the main one for ships like that, the Alaska doesn't really fit into the Destroyer/Cruiser/Battleship/Carrier lineup neatly.

I do think it would be an interesting and worthy ship to add in, having more powerful but also awkward guns compared to cruisers, the speed of a cruiser but probably a poor turning radius/response time, and as mentioned, enough armor to resist cruisers while not really doing much against battleships except at extreme angles. I just don't know where they would put it in the tech tree. WG doesn't really sell tier 9 premiums, I think the combination of speed, guns and armor is too good for tier 8, and tier 10 premiums are universally rewards. I dunno. I just really want to see how it would do, regardless of whatever tier it ended up at if it is ever put in.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 27, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Rorac posted:

Having seen it in steel ocean and knowing it actually did exist, I'd love to see the ise bbv in this game. Just to see how pubbies would struggle with the idea of handling both a couple of aircraft squadrons along with still having guns to shoot with.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 27, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rorac posted:

The issue is that battlecruisers as a class don't really exist in world of warships. Unless wargaming wants to make a new branch, or allow side-branches that rejoin back into the main one for ships like that, the Alaska doesn't really fit into the Destroyer/Cruiser/Battleship/Carrier lineup neatly.

The Alaska doesn't fit, but battlecruisers do - the battlecruiser evolved into the fast battleship, it's only a matter of splitting them out into a second battleship branch.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

I rebought the furry taco just for this reason. I don't know why, but I've been having a blast farting around in Tiers 4-6.

I'm seriously considering it. I was spoiled by the closed beta where it didn't exist and you went Kuma->Aoba, so when open beta hit I played the furry taco for maybe 6 games before I free xp'd past it.

I also happen to have a spare Mogami captain lying about, since I no longer have a reason to keep that piece of poo poo around.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Victor Surge posted:

The Arkansas is as good as the Wyoming except for AA and shift time, and at tier IV I don't ever really have problems with torp bombers. If you have a problem with dodging torp planes, the Ark is good for practice. I have a 71% solo win rate and 61,000 average damage over 69 battles, so it's not overly hard to do well in it unless you just don't like battleships in general....oh yeah and the preferential MM helps. I'd rather use my ark over my Marblehead any day.

What is weird is carrier torpedo bombers seem to ignore me completely in it. I just could never get the thing to land a shot anywhere near the ship I was shooting at. I had Phoenix lined up at about 8km, his side towards me and caught him with a full broadside for a whopping 1600 damage. Playing a battleship just hasn't clicked for me yet, it doesn't help that most of the early ones are dogshit.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

poor mogami :[

did the taco's range stay the same? that was my biggest gripe with it actually

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
It would be fairly easy to slot in the Alaska into the tech tree. All its normal stats, 12" guns etc, and then for consumables give it cruiser class consumables, including the repair party with a max of two charges. So it would have the cruiser damage control, cruiser repair, defensive fire/radar, and scout plane. Slot it in as a tier 8 and let the matchmaker treat it either as a T7 BB or a T9 cruiser. So you can end up using a cruiser slot in a T10 game or a BB slot in a T6 game.

Edit: as a side note, and Alaska has a higher displacement than a Kongo and is actually longer. It's major weakness would almost certainly be its ability to attract a lot of attention as a damage piñata without the armour to defend herself.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 27, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I would like to see the Alaska too and other battlecruisers. I think wg should just have a tree branch that merges back in to the main tree at the appropriate tiers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gorau posted:

Edit: as a side note, and Alaska has a higher displacement than a Kongo and is actually longer. It's major weakness would almost certainly be its ability to attract a lot of attention as a damage piñata without the armour to defend herself.

In that respect it's quite similar to the Moskva, and the two projects even had a similar driving force behind them.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 27, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Alaska probably fits best as a T8 premium or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

-Troika- posted:

We'd probably get the USS Hawaii as the premium. They'd have exceptional close-in AA (12x 127mm, 56x 40mm, and 34x 20mm). That's two more 127mm and the same amount of 40mm as an A-hull Iowa, in a more compact package. The 12" guns also have the same length caliber as the Iowa's 16".

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 28, 2016

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

-Troika- posted:

I thought about this, but the issue with that is that if you keep it historically accurate with it's armor layout, gun performance and speed, I feel like it's too good for tier 8. Sure, they can fiddle with soft stats like acceleration and accuracy, but even weakening those, I think it's hard stats make it too good for tier 8, and I think it would fit best at tier 9 or 10. I also think it and other battlecruisers designs would be best in a seperate branch, literally between cruisers and battleships that lets you jump back and forth across the branch.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
They hawaii's guns would actually be 3/4 the length of the Iowa's. They're 12"/50 which means they're 50 calibers long, or 50'. The Iowa's are also 50 calibers long, or 66'8" long because they're 16" guns.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
God drat battleship rifles are enormous. I wish someone would experiment with a modernized, survivable gunship, rather than galvanically unstable aluminum cans.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Rorac posted:

I thought about this, but the issue with that is that if you keep it historically accurate with it's armor layout, gun performance and speed, I feel like it's too good for tier 8. Sure, they can fiddle with soft stats like acceleration and accuracy, but even weakening those, I think it's hard stats make it too good for tier 8, and I think it would fit best at tier 9 or 10. I also think it and other battlecruisers designs would be best in a seperate branch, literally between cruisers and battleships that lets you jump back and forth across the branch.

I actually think it fits perfect at T8. It would be a good boat, fast and with strong AA, and it would have guns that would be deadly to cruisers; but it would seriously suffer against T8+ battleships. It has the same amount of armour as the Kongo, which we all know has difficulty surviving against 14" guns if it isn't angled properly. Throw in 16" guns with the kind of ranges and plunging fire found at T8+ plus it's massive size and I would call that a pretty serious handicap.

Basically I think what I said before: if the matchmaker treats it like either a t7 battleship or a t9 cruiser it would work. To clarify, what I mean is that the matchmaker would look for a game, and if it found a T6-T8 game it would slot it in replacing a T7 BB. If it found a T8-T10 game it would slot the ship in replacing a T9 cruiser. And if it had a T7-T9 game it would treat it as either, with a cruiser bias.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Velius posted:

God drat battleship rifles are enormous. I wish someone would experiment with a modernized, survivable gunship, rather than galvanically unstable aluminum cans.

That's part of the reason why they built the Zumwalt. Among other things, if they ever get a functioning railgun prototype it has the deckspace and power supply needed to mount it.

Also, Anti-Air/Anti-Missile laser guns for maximum pewpew.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, that's 8 out of 10 games lost now, think I'm done for tonight. And that's with finishing in the top three, and often first, in score in every single game except one. Not sure what I did to offend MM tonight, but tired of the unending stream of teams that couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. Especially enjoyed the game where I scored the only kill on the entire team along with scoring over double what the next highest person on the team scored.

In other news, I am really enjoying the Tirpitz and Molotov, even if MM refuses to give me even a half decent team to truly have fun with them in.

Poistra
Mar 11, 2011
Outrageous Lumpwad

Burt posted:

OK, can any modder tell me how to go about changing the CBT reward flag into a skull and crossbones?

I have had a look about and everyone says to go look for a .dds file in the flags folder but I can't seem to find either.

Since 0.5.5.0 you will need to use the Unpacker program to extract the file. This thread has a pretty good tutorial on using it.

Its fairly straight forward but here's my one I made earlier. WG loves to move the flags around every patch so you will need to get the new flags.dds from the game and make your changes when it updates.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Vengarr posted:

That's part of the reason why they built the Zumwalt. Among other things, if they ever get a functioning railgun prototype it has the deckspace and power supply needed to mount it.

Also, Anti-Air/Anti-Missile laser guns for maximum pewpew.

That will be bad rear end. In the mean time, a guided missile platform is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more lethal than any kind of conventional artillery.

[edit]

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 28, 2016

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Sometime you just want a quick win to enjoy the 2x bonus.

I hate this boat.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

X3 weekend is going to bring out the biggest shitters. I had a lot of high scoring losses last night.

I do really like the new detection circles on the minimap. It really helps with situational awareness.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MoraleHazard posted:

X3 weekend is going to bring out the biggest shitters. I had a lot of high scoring losses last night.

I do really like the new detection circles on the minimap. It really helps with situational awareness.

Its also a ghetto Situational Awareness for ships without the skill. If you fire your guns and your concealment jumps up and stays that way, you've been detected.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
How dependent is this game on having high bandwidth? I moved home from college recently and I've been having problems getting it to load--it'll get to the screen where it shows the map and the player lists and just not do anything. Is this a bandwidth problem or do I have something else going on here?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

Sometime you just want a quick win to enjoy the 2x bonus.

I hate this boat.

I only had time for one battle before I needed to leave and catch a train

That'll do

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Nagato is an excellent boat, one of the best in the game, and the best way to play it is in a division with two other nagatos, preferably goons

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Pacra posted:

Nagato is an excellent boat, one of the best in the game, and the best way to play it is in a division with two other nagatos, preferably goons

Agreed. Though I honestly think a lot of people play it wrong. They see crazy videos of the secondaries lighting up enemy ships that get too close and try to replicate it. While fun, it's not very efficient compared to using the Nagano as a mid range brawler, much like an American battleship.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Gorau posted:

Agreed. Though I honestly think a lot of people play it wrong. They see crazy videos of the secondaries lighting up enemy ships that get too close and try to replicate it. While fun, it's not very efficient compared to using the Nagano as a mid range brawler, much like an American battleship.

If the next season of ranked maxes out at tier 6/7 i'll almost certainly re-buy the Nagato and play that. Secondaries are gimmicky and not really my playstyle but I have a 15 point captain ready to go. DD play is incredibly critical in ranked, so if you have to just clench and drive into knife fighting range it will at least unsettle a mediocre destroyer driver. Without the Tier 8 concealment upgrade as an option, I dont really think you can make an effective stealth Nagato or Colorado. I suppose you could save the 5 points and go for repair skills.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just a warning for anyone about to use Aslain's, all of the contour ship icon mods break the pre battle loading screen and the post battle results screen, so don't use them

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Redeye Flight posted:

How dependent is this game on having high bandwidth? I moved home from college recently and I've been having problems getting it to load--it'll get to the screen where it shows the map and the player lists and just not do anything. Is this a bandwidth problem or do I have something else going on here?

I'm on EU but I play from crappy hotel connections all the time. I can take almost the full minute to load into a game but once I am in I can play normally.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Poistra posted:

Since 0.5.5.0 you will need to use the Unpacker program to extract the file. This thread has a pretty good tutorial on using it.

Its fairly straight forward but here's my one I made earlier. WG loves to move the flags around every patch so you will need to get the new flags.dds from the game and make your changes when it updates.

Thanks for this, I will give it a go :)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
iChase update on the indy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPks6UB4S3o

tldr: She is good now. Errors from the previous video include her being too high in the water and also the armor scheme. So she can't take on battleships, but she can at least bounce shells that come at her from equal or lower tier cruisers using ap when nose on. Still have to play it like a molotov if you are bottom tier though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I love getting a Kraken in my Ryujo. Either I take out the other carriers fighters myself or they are careless and lose them to my cruisers, I then run rampant on the enemy team. Unless I'm up matched against t8s, at which point my bombers are wiped out every time they try to make a bombing run against anything. Even destroyers are wiping out squads within seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
This is why Zuiho is so much better. You lose 1 squadron but only face T6 max.