Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
jrode memorial thread: rip in piss, melonfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

paragon1 posted:

Lol that loving post. It's like "Okay a lot of this is debatable and a little overly simplistic, but its not entirely unreasonable. I wonder what exactly he means by good people." and then BOOM racism.

I actually thought it was reasonable until the end. I'd say Russia is a perfect example of his point: Monarchy, Communism, Industrialization, brief-democracy? Oligarchy. One can assume American communism would be distinct, which comes back to the key failing that worker solidarity was not able to overcome national and racial/ethnic prejudice, meaning the Eastern Bloc nations never truly got along, and illustrates why workers in the U.S. could never unify. The idea that Libertarianism wouldn't be destroyed by the same problems is silly.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

jrode memorial thread: rip in piss, melonfucker

I like it, but we should probably still work in "libertarian mock thread."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
We had some times, we did. Guess it's back to lurking the Bitcoin thread in YOSPOS, but it's just not the same.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Are we reminiscing before the thread is closed, or is somebody gonna volunteer* to post lewrockwell and mises articles on a regular basis?

* As a statist, I believe Men With Guns should compel someone to do this, but we haven't reached that ideal level of tyranny yet.

I go mises-diving every so often. I'm happy(?) to just continue doing that.

Although, we could recruit outside libertarians...

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Is there a short list of libertarian ideals that we often agree aren't total poo poo on their own that could be in the opening post? That way we can just cut to the meat of things when they occasionally sneak in?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Goon Danton posted:

I go mises-diving every so often. I'm happy(?) to just continue doing that.

Although, we could recruit outside libertarians...

I'm confident that some other libertarian will find it in their rational self interest to respond to the clear market demand of this thread.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Have any libertarian thinkers written on regulation, rule, and law being the result of market demand?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My favorite JRod moment:

The fact that he chose to spend another 10 dollars to complain about how the mods banned him unfairly and basically stole his previous 10 dollars.

This is how the scenario plays out in his head:
Jrod: Excuse me, but I like to complain about how you stole my 10 dollar entry fee!
Mod: I'm sorry, but since you were kicked out and came back in again, you'll have to pay another 10 dollar entry fee.
Jrod: Well, here's your money. Now, let me tell you how mad I am that you basically stole 10 dollars from me for kicking me out without understanding the rules!

He reminds me a lot of a former employee, who was so hot-headed, who was constantly failing in life, and yet there was always someone else to blame. He never took responsibility, never tried to change his behavior, and even when he was given clear direction, he refused to change.

JRod couldn't understand that the whole point of these forums is to engage in conversations. Posting long screeds that are unrelated to previous conversations or don't acknowledge what other people said are often bad for generating good conversations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Uroboros posted:

I actually thought it was reasonable until the end. I'd say Russia is a perfect example of his point: Monarchy, Communism, Industrialization, brief-democracy? Oligarchy. One can assume American communism would be distinct, which comes back to the key failing that worker solidarity was not able to overcome national and racial/ethnic prejudice, meaning the Eastern Bloc nations never truly got along, and illustrates why workers in the U.S. could never unify. The idea that Libertarianism wouldn't be destroyed by the same problems is silly.

That's if you're willing to assign a value of "bad" to all Russians, which uhhh, has some problems to say the least. For one thing, I'm pretty sure there may be some other groups, both historical and modern, that have had some effects on how Russian governments have played out.

Edit:Really he's failing to realize that there are external factors that affect people's behavior entirely. It's an extension of the typical just world bullshit.

Edit2: Referring to his original point and how it was phrased

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 28, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cemetry Gator posted:

JRod couldn't understand that the whole point of these forums is to engage in conversations. Posting long screeds that are unrelated to previous conversations or don't acknowledge what other people said are often bad for generating good conversations.

He just never seemed to cotton on to the fact that he was doing the writing equivalent of suddenly giving a 15 minute speech in a restaurant to a room full of strangers, leaving for 5 hours, and then coming back and wondering why everyone is making fun of what he did and giving him funny looks and why it might piss off the owners of the business.

He really should have gone to seminary school if he wanted to preach so fuckin' bad.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

This would not surprise me in the least. What would surprise me is if he reregged with an actually catchy Libertarian themed username like Gale_Boetticher or Hoppe-ing mad :v:

I couldn't stand him and was glad that he died.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

paragon1 posted:

He just never seemed to cotton on to the fact that he was doing the writing equivalent of suddenly giving a 15 minute speech in a restaurant to a room full of strangers, leaving for 5 hours, and then coming back and wondering why everyone is making fun of what he did and giving him funny looks and why it might piss off the owners of the business.

He really should have gone to seminary school if he wanted to preach so fuckin' bad.

You're being kind saying it was a 15 minute speech.

I also loved how he could never really integrate himself into a conversation. He always had to start with some grand pronouncement, like he was announcing his intentions to get married to someone. It's made worse by his habit of burying the loving point down below some bullshit about progressives and how they don't understand how the system works and whatever the gently caress he was going on about and here's a link to Mises.org.

Here's some good writing or speaking feedback to people: lead with the most important part. Whether it's the why, or your main argument or whatever the gently caress it is. Don't bury it. Don't put it at the end of a long screed. Part of what made Jrod's post so tough to read, aside from the generally lovely and pretentious writing, was that for half of it, you had no idea what he was trying to say. He would bury the point.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Another cool jrod mental tic: he way, waaayy overestimated the importance of Austrian school economics and libertarianism to a simultaneously sad and funny degree, such that he couldn't distinguish an attack on mainstream economics or capitalism overall from an attack on his pet ideas. A while back I posted something from Debt: The First 5000 Years about how the conventional economics story of the development of currency is wrong, and he's like "So are you saying this disputes the Austrian concept of money??" Uh, only in as much as the Austrian school inherited its concept of money from mainstream economics, but sure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

theshim posted:

The Shiranaihito meltdown only lasts a couple pages but it's still pretty gorgeous.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636681&pagenumber=59&perpage=40#post436105896

lmao this post:

shiranaihito posted:

See this for a great illustration of what's wrong here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngpsJKQR_ZE

In it the guy says that him writing "I get to rob you" makes more sense than the United States Constitution because his piece of paper states who gave him the moral authority - he did himself, or his friends did. He then claims that the USC does not do so, it just says it gets to rob you with no explanation why.

Hmmmmmm

THE VERY FIRST loving PARAGRAPH posted:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Geniuses every one of them.

Eletriarnation posted:

I thought it was particularly funny given that, if my two years of Japanese classes are serving me right, "shiranai hito" basically means "person who doesn't care". I'm not sure how he intended it to be interpreted but it seemed to match his extreme arrogance pretty well.

Kinda, yeah 知らない can mean "I don't care" but in adjectival form means "unknown" or "strange" - more in terms of stranger, not odd. It's a classic case of someone calling themselves "Nero" or "Zero" to seem darky and edgy. This time in anime gabble.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Uroboros posted:

Is there a short list of libertarian ideals that we often agree aren't total poo poo on their own that could be in the opening post? That way we can just cut to the meat of things when they occasionally sneak in?

Pot legalization and gay marriage are kinda taking the wind out of the libertarian sail there aren't they

Why vote libertarian when you can move to Colorado

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pot legalization and gay marriage are kinda taking the wind out of the libertarian sail there aren't they

It's hard for me to keep the fedora on my head sometimes thinking of how much taxpayer money is going to go to these programs.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Yeah, the key to finding reasonable libertarian positions is to find actual problems that either impact middle class white guys or add to the deficit. So ending the war on drugs, not fighting expensive wars, and the like.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do you think the only reason libertarians hate wars is because they lost the American Civil one.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I mean, that might be part of it. It also goes back to "wars cost money, money comes from taxes, therefore wars make my taxes go up" and a dash of "I do not want to personally fight in Vietnam/Iraq/whatever."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Not all of them are, though. There's more than a few anti-"Islamist" hawk libertarians.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GunnerJ posted:

Not all of them are, though. There's more than a few anti-"Islamist" hawk libertarians.

Case in point: every Libertarian and Libertarian-Republican who is/was in the military.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Honestly I'd prefer it if my taxes didn't go towards building bombs and supporting the gargantuan military we have today.

But at some point it gets silly. Bomb makers use public roads to get to work and deliver their bombs, but I'm not about to say cut road funding.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Triglav posted:

but I'm not about to say cut road funding.

Don't worry the GOP already did that lmao.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Don't worry the GOP already did that lmao.

Yeah, but now private individuals can buy more municipal bonds, receiving tax-free interest for their investment, paid from the taxes of others.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Uroboros posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are some non-racist libertarians that care a lot about criminal justice reform, police militarization, etc. like Randy Balko.

Also most every libertarian opposes eminent domain abuse and civil asset forfeiture.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

My problem with libertarianism isn't from a critical eye on the state, which many other movements have. I hate it for the philosophical position that all forms of collective action (especially those that require some people to act in ways that aren't purely selfish) are evil. A focus on nebulous market forces and anti-statism masks a real goals: legitimizing all forms of destructive or anti-social behavior (from racism to pollution) under the shield of individualism, and legitimating a theory of justice that ignores historical reality in favor of a false "equality of opportunity". There are many ways to criticize the state, but that doesn't make libertarian philosophy any less repugnant, any more than a fundamentalist christian being against murder makes every other piece of garbage that comes out of their movement ok.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 28, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Was there any overlap between Libertarians and the Reform Party in it's heyday? From what I've read it seemed like an ideologically malleable party, but some of Ross Perot's stances seem libertarian-ish.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
while we're going over best of thread hits i liked when lolitasama returned and told us why he converted away from lolbertarianism (read: not so subtle white supremacy)

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 12, 2020

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm off in the boonies unable to watch it live. Anyone else want to live comment the libertarian debate off of c-span for me?

At least tell me if McAfee eats anyone's face while high on bath salts like I expect.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

I'm off in the boonies unable to watch it live. Anyone else want to live comment the libertarian debate off of c-span for me?

At least tell me if McAfee eats anyone's face while high on bath salts like I expect.

He hugged and kissed all the other candidates as they came on stage.

I'm gonna play Samurai Warriors instead of live blogging it though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I care more about mustache twirling villainous portrayals of Oda Nobunaga than I do about Libertarian politics, and so should you!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

I care more about mustache twirling villainous portrayals of Oda Nobunaga than I do about Libertarian politics, and so should you!

Oda was the libertarian of his day. And also Satan-Hitler and a warlock?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Who What Now posted:

Oda was the libertarian of his day. And also Satan-Hitler and a warlock?

He did love guns...

Edit: But he also made a black guy a samurai. I don't see libertarians doing that.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Triglav posted:

Have any libertarian thinkers written on regulation, rule, and law being the result of market demand?

By market demand do you mean democratic demand, such as voting in elections? Hayek wrote about how he saw what laws should exist in Road to Serfdom. Basic income through negative taxes and environmental protections resolve lots of concerns about libertarianism IMHO.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

By market demand do you mean democratic demand, such as voting in elections? Hayek wrote about how he saw what laws should exist in Road to Serfdom. Basic income through negative taxes and environmental protections resolve lots of concerns about libertarianism IMHO.

Yeah, something along the lines of free association and social capital.

It seems in those Hayek writings that the largest concern is someone damaging another's private or common property through negligence, but I guess that covers some bases. Like, you can live in filth in your own home, but I don't want to smell you from mine.

I was more curious about any libertarian rationalizations of how we got from lawlessness to today, without the copout of threat of violence; why individuals might choose to willfully restrict their individual freedoms, by vote or boycott, for the benefit of everyone.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/NicholsUprising/status/736766849384210433

is there anything about this tweet which is surprising (aside from gary "feel my" johnson not being against the civil rights act i guess)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is why Ayn Rand called Hayek 'a dangerous compromiser'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Triglav posted:

Nozick's Anarchy, State, and Utopia is essentially an attempt to show how a minimal state could arise out of the state of nature via market forces.