Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If we're not counting OVA's and such, I still think 0079 is probably the best show, with G after it and then probably Zeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's Turn-A, you fools.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's Turn-A, you fools.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
These are all very interesting ways to say G-Savior, yessiree bob.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

These are all very interesting ways to say G-Savior, yessiree bob.

G-savior isn't even a show!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

All the arguments about Unicorn got me thinking: What is the unanimous best gundam show, and why is it G-Savior?

If you're limiting "show" to live action I guess it wins by default.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Droyer posted:

If you believe in it, that is all that matters. The heart of space has spoken~

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's Turn-A, you fools.
Turn-A has an original setting for Gundam with the late 19th/early 20th century thing, but otherwise I find it kind of average.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

The original director coming back and the staff getting generous prep-time would probably iron out a lot of the wrinkles we ended up seeing in Try. Most of its flaws came from being a rushed, half-cooked project with a leader who didn't successfully make the jump from writer to director.

If they drop the team combat premise and inject some of the sheer love of the franchise that BF had that BFT lacked, I'm down for another season.

I maintain that BFT wasn't even a horrible lovely turd, it was just utterly average and forgettable, so with more prep time I have full confidence in them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Droyer posted:

The NuGundamG-Savior isn't just for show!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

All the arguments about Unicorn got me thinking: What is the unanimous best gundam show, and why is it G-Savior?

Well my favorite Gundam shows were Zeta and Wing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Toonami promo for IBO: https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/videos/1603190709971770/

They are showing the murder scene already just so everyone knows going in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Toonami promo for IBO: https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/videos/1603190709971770/

... Man, the tone of that is all over the goddamn place.

Edit: I also like how Kudelia is Lady Not Appearing In This Trailer.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 28, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Because "G-Savior" is a popular nickname for 080: War in the Pocket, the prequel miniseries to Turn A Gundam. It's basically all treated as one show these days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

If they drop the team combat premise and inject some of the sheer love of the franchise that BF had that BFT lacked, I'm down for another season.

I maintain that BFT wasn't even a horrible lovely turd, it was just utterly average and forgettable, so with more prep time I have full confidence in them.

In a void or a world where Build Fighters never existed, BFT would still be pretty awful. As it's a sequel series, however, it's a colossal turd of a show because you can see the fingerprints and crude notes in crayon going ":byodood: we want more of this, do more of this and do it with our darling special protagonist character". Even Sekai is still damning just on his own merits, because the moment they removed him from the equation for an episode, the quality of a fight generally drastically improved towards BF levels.

A final-four showdown should not consist of three, veteran, teams going "We're going to be the one to beat Sekai! :downswords:".

I want to hope for a new BFT season being good, but at the same time the last time a dud of a second season got prep time to fix its problems for the followup we got Awakening of the Trailblazer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In a void or a world where Build Fighters never existed, BFT would still be pretty awful. As it's a sequel series, however, it's a colossal turd of a show because you can see the fingerprints and crude notes in crayon going ":byodood: we want more of this, do more of this and do it with our darling special protagonist character". Even Sekai is still damning just on his own merits, because the moment they removed him from the equation for an episode, the quality of a fight generally drastically improved towards BF levels.

A final-four showdown should not consist of three, veteran, teams going "We're going to be the one to beat Sekai! :downswords:".

I want to hope for a new BFT season being good, but at the same time the last time a dud of a second season got prep time to fix its problems for the followup we got Awakening of the Trailblazer.

Gundam AGE is what I would consider "pretty awful". BFT most definitely is not remotely that bad; it's merely the anime equivalent of background noise. It's a generic sports series with a bland stamped-out-of-a-template plot, some pretty decent side characters, and some decent individual fight scenes that are sprinkled sparsely among a lot of boring, forgettable stuff. On a franchise scale where Gundam AGE is a 1 and 0080 is a 10, I'd put BFT at like a 4.5.

Sekai himself wasn't necessarily poison to good fight sequences. The Megashiki fight was basically all about Sekai and that was one of the best fights in the series, and his first fight with Wilfrid was pretty okay despite being quite literally The Sekai Show. BFT was definitely harmed by excessive focus on the character but the character's mere presence didn't ruin everything it touched; that was down to really bad fight pacing and episodes not devoting sufficient time to explore 3v3 fights properly. Note that the few good team fights in the series were the ones that got an entire episode devoted to them instead of being wedged in the back 6-7 minutes of 17 minutes of plot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Sekai himself wasn't necessarily poison to good fight sequences. The Megashiki fight was basically all about Sekai and that was one of the best fights in the series, and his first fight with Wilfrid was pretty okay despite being quite literally The Sekai Show. BFT was definitely harmed by excessive focus on the character but the character's mere presence didn't ruin everything it touched; that was down to really bad fight pacing and episodes not devoting sufficient time to explore 3v3 fights properly. Note that the few good team fights in the series were the ones that got an entire episode devoted to them instead of being wedged in the back 6-7 minutes of 17 minutes of plot.

The Megashiki fight is legit good by it's own merits, but it's a little harsher in hindsight when you realize it probably only got to be a good solid slogging bout where the Build Burning takes some damage so they could bring out the :can: of stupidity that was Assimilation Mode.

Again though, on just it's own merits it's a really good fight.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tae posted:

aaaaa they used the music from the old Gundam Wing commericals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Megashiki fight is legit good by it's own merits, but it's a little harsher in hindsight when you realize it probably only got to be a good solid slogging bout where the Build Burning takes some damage so they could bring out the :can: of stupidity that was Assimilation Mode.

Again though, on just it's own merits it's a really good fight.

Assimilation is basically the most concrete example of a show's staff writing themselves into a corner as I've ever seen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Assimilation is basically the most concrete example of a show's staff writing themselves into a corner as I've ever seen.

Seriously. Why would you design the controller in a children's arcade game to be able to potentially inflict lethal harm upon the user? :magical:

Never mind ensuring the Build Burning Try could never ever have a good brutal fight because it'd mean crippling their golden child protagonist.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously. Why would you design the controller in a children's arcade game to be able to potentially inflict lethal harm upon the user? :magical:

but they didn't. It was a nocebo effect, remember?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thread Challenge- Replace ASSIMILATION with an even more ridiculous negative consequence of playing too much Gunpla Battle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Thread Challenge- Replace ASSIMILATION with an even more ridiculous negative consequence of playing too much Gunpla Battle.

Consciousness transfer. If you play too long, your soul is stuck within a tiny plastic model.

The Man Rodi kit gets associated with even more deeply uncomfortable poo poo.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

your virginity comes back

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

your virginity comes back

comes back?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raxivace posted:

You become part of the plot of Bokurano.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

but they didn't. It was a nocebo effect, remember?

You mean the effect that put Sekai in a hospital bed after every round?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

You become part of the plot of Bokurano.

You become part of the plot of Baccano!

Oh, sure. It sounds good at first. But have you seen the state of model kits in the 30s?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

:notlikethis:- Orga IBO 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the effect that put Sekai in a hospital bed after every round?

I'm not saying it makes sense, but that was the reason given in-show.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Arcsquad12 posted:

What would be the best analogy for zeon suits to ww2 German armour? I'd say the zaku ii is closest to the stug iii and iv

The krake zulu is literally a german longcoat from wwii

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't remember my history books saying anything about the Nazis' giant purple rocket-boosted longcoats.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It was probably on a History Channel special.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
On Episode 16, things to be picking up pace now.
-Amuro is still an emotional and vaguely crazy guy, I'm glad he didn't like "grow out of it" like you would expect from these types of stories.
-Kai is still great
-I wasn't really feeling the whole glider thing for the mobile suits until Kamille started using one as a surfboard. That was awesome.
-I am growing weary of this cargo plane even if they haven't been on it that long.
-I keep thinking Buran Blutarch is Jerid and it throws me off. His Asshimar is pretty cool, it reminds me of the drones from Metal Gear Solid 2

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

-I keep thinking Buran Blutarch is Jerid and it throws me off.
I had that same problem when I first watched Zeta. I thought Jerid decided to cover up his identity for some reason, but no, Buran is a completely different character. It is not helped by Jerid and Buran having very similar appearances, all the way down to similar hairstyles.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AradoBalanga posted:

I had that same problem when I first watched Zeta. I thought Jerid decided to cover up his identity for some reason, but no, Buran is a completely different character. It is not helped by Jerid and Buran having very similar appearances, all the way down to similar hairstyles.

:same:

On an unrelated note: I watched F91. Why does nobody ever talk about this? This movie was great. It was a little dense at the start but once you get caught up in its momentum it's really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xinder posted:

On an unrelated note: I watched F91. Why does nobody ever talk about this? This movie was great. It was a little dense at the start but once you get caught up in its momentum it's really good.

Because when you realize what it could have been (a full 50 episode series that got hacked apart in editing to make a film out of it) you feel frustrated that they decided to instead go with 0083 for the longer run.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xinder posted:

I loving love F91 and talk about it whenever the chance comes up.

Seabook's last name is my first name!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because when you realize what it could have been (a full 50 episode series that got hacked apart in editing to make a film out of it) you feel frustrated that they decided to instead go with 0083 for the longer run.

I suppose that's true, but I think it would probably stand worse-off if it did get 50 episodes. It deserved more than 2 hours, but maybe a 20 episode series would have been plenty. It had a lot of density but I get the feeling if you stretch it out too far it would become a lot less interesting.

Speaking of 0083, is it really as bad as people say it is? I was planning to watch the compilation movie, but it's difficult to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xinder posted:

I suppose that's true, but I think it would probably stand worse-off if it did get 50 episodes. It deserved more than 2 hours, but maybe a 20 episode series would have been plenty. It had a lot of density but I get the feeling if you stretch it out too far it would become a lot less interesting.

Speaking of 0083, is it really as bad as people say it is? I was planning to watch the compilation movie, but it's difficult to find.

Gorgeous battles, interesting supporting players, awful leads, and an incomprehensible plot twist at the end. Oh, and both of the best characters die pointlessly.

(The fact anyone likes a hypocritical poo poo like Gato never ceases to astound me.)