Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

flosofl posted:

Well, it doesn't help that she's head over heels for Deadpool, who will *never* die. His near death experiences are sometimes framed as "dates" with Death.

No... there is another...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Isn't the thing about Thanos and Death is that all his "gifts" of killing people is really just more work for Death? Like promising your friend dinner, only for to bring the raw foods so they could cook it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanos is that guy who stops by your cubicle at 4:45 on a Friday afternoon and hands you a sheaf of TPS reports to be filled out by Monday morning.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
At least he doesn't hang around sitting in your chair like that dick Darkseid

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ghosthorse posted:

At least he doesn't hang around sitting in your chair like that dick Darkseid

Yeah, Thanos brings his own chair. But he doesn't lift it, he just drags it across the floor and scuffs everything up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

flosofl posted:

Well, it doesn't help that she's head over heels for Deadpool, who will *never* die. His near death experiences are sometimes framed as "dates" with Death.

This is *the* reason Thanos hates Deadpool.

I'm fairly confident that Brolin is up to the task.

Voice and actor wise the marvel movies have been top notch
But the writing man. Civil war was already reframed to be a personal rather than ideological battle.
Cool fight scenes but incredibly shallow justifications for it. I know it's a AAA blockbuster but still, a man can dream and wish,

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ryan North's description of Thanos in Squirrel Girl is basically the best breakdown I've seen. Half-goth 'cause he's really into death, but half-hipster 'cause he makes his own gloves.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Voice and actor wise the marvel movies have been top notch
But the writing man. Civil war was already reframed to be a personal rather than ideological battle.
Cool fight scenes but incredibly shallow justifications for it. I know it's a AAA blockbuster but still, a man can dream and wish,

I wrote about three paragraphs strenuously disagreeing with this before I realized it's the freaking Badass Panels thread and not really the right place for it. But suffice it to say I think you're wrong, and being a bit shortsighted. The personal focus isn't to make the struggle pettier, it's just tightening the focus. The reason it's Stark vs. Cap is because each holds as their personal ideologies the distillation of their side in the disagreement.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

prefect posted:

No... there is another...

I should see if I can get my boyfriend to address me as Homo Supreme.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Isn't that the first time something broke Cap's shield? And like, the gravitas of those actions have been greatly reduced by unoriginal writers several times over since?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Choco1980 posted:

Isn't that the first time something broke Cap's shield? And like, the gravitas of those actions have been greatly reduced by unoriginal writers several times over since?

No, I think it's the second. Doom breaks a big chunk off of it at the end of the original Secret Wars.

FredMSloniker posted:

So what are Adam Warlock and the Silver Surfer waiting for? I mean, I presume the point of Cap's last stand is that he'll stand up against Thanos even when he has no chance of winning, not that he's going to pull something out of his rear end.

I actually hate that fight, and indeed that entire issue, because the whole thing is heroes going one-on-one against Thanos while the other twenty-something characters sit there with their thumbs up their asses.

If you go back and reread the comic, there's an opportunity on just about every page where somebody could end the fight, but they're stuck just off-stage due to Starlin's plot. It's irritated me for twenty-five years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems like Cap's shield only breaks if it gets hit by an actual capital-G God's displeasure, which, frankly, seems acceptable - it doesn't seem like it really "failed" either, Cap was still alive! I assume.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nessus posted:

it doesn't seem like it really "failed" either, Cap was still alive! I assume.

Oh, no, everyone dies horribly in that story. It's just, well, there's a literal Deus Ex Machina that they are fighting over, so...

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Thinking back we really shouldn't have been surprised when Hickman's Secret War had the heroes lose and die, it's kinda a thing for marvel mega events.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wanderer posted:

No, I think it's the second. Doom breaks a big chunk off of it at the end of the original Secret Wars.

I actually hate that fight, and indeed that entire issue, because the whole thing is heroes going one-on-one against Thanos while the other twenty-something characters sit there with their thumbs up their asses.

If you go back and reread the comic, there's an opportunity on just about every page where somebody could end the fight, but they're stuck just off-stage due to Starlin's plot. It's irritated me for twenty-five years.

Nobody ever has a chance to end the fight, they are a coordinated distraction. That's the whole point and why Surfer gets mad at Warlock. He's created this plan for their attack but it's just to buy time for the other plans to go into effect.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

Nobody ever has a chance to end the fight, they are a coordinated distraction. That's the whole point and why Surfer gets mad at Warlock. He's created this plan for their attack but it's just to buy time for the other plans to go into effect.

Reread the comic and count the times where somebody could've taken out Thanos or removed the gauntlet from him were it not for Warlock's "plan." The most notable one is where Wolverine jumps at Thanos and stabs him in the chest, rather than taking Thanos's arm off at the elbow, and Quasar spends the whole fight just floating there like a moron.

Edit: Hell, just count the times where fifteen to twenty other superheroes sit there like bumps on a log and watch somebody else die.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 28, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

It seems like Cap's shield only breaks if it gets hit by an actual capital-G God's displeasure, which, frankly, seems acceptable - it doesn't seem like it really "failed" either, Cap was still alive! I assume.

Yeah, it's not like the shield is magic or an extension of his will or something - it's just made of the hardest metal on earth. Having a guy who is at this point a force of the cosmos shatter it is really not that big of an "oh poo poo!" thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

Reread the comic and count the times where somebody could've taken out Thanos or removed the gauntlet from him were it not for Warlock's "plan." The most notable one is where Wolverine jumps at Thanos and stabs him in the chest, rather than taking Thanos's arm off at the elbow, and Quasar spends the whole fight just floating there like a moron.

Edit: Hell, just count the times where fifteen to twenty other superheroes sit there like bumps on a log and watch somebody else die.

There is one bit where Thor has Thanos basically at his mercy, but can't finish him off because Doom gets in the way and tries to take the Gauntlet for himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toshimo posted:

I don't remember if these ever got proper posted, but God bless Jim Starlin.

Infinity Gauntlet #4

You left out the most badass part.

Even when all hope is lost, Cap takes one last swing at God.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Looks like that letter on his mask stands for France...

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
His shield getting broken isn't what impressed me, it's that it takes two hits from God to break it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
This entire fight from Old Man Logan 7 was pretty badass, but I liked the ending in particular.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm catching up on the whole Lady Thor run and thought this moment was pretty badass (The Mighty Thor #4).

Now for the issue after it.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
obligatory dredd (prog #227):

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kujeger posted:

obligatory dredd (prog #227):

One thing no one mentions is that those little face doors swing outward. Which means Dredd had to reach over and gently open them before throwing that punch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Duke Igthorn posted:

One thing no one mentions is that those little face doors swing outward. Which means Dredd had to reach over and gently open them before throwing that punch.

Read Judge Dredd you ign'ant fool.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Duke Igthorn posted:

No one mentions this because they were already open, ya doof.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 6, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Duke Igthorn posted:

What do you think "GAZE INTO THE FIST OF DREDD!" was a sick comeback to buddy?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone remember what series or issue had wolverine getting blown up? Specifically it was a 5 or 6 panel set showing him being blown up and his claws shattering, etc.

I saw it a while back but can't remember, and me and a friend we talking about times he's gotten hosed up in a fight where someone has grabbed the claws and squeezed em or just blew him up.

I think cap squished his tendons once, and sentry just squeezed his claws.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone remember what series or issue had wolverine getting blown up? Specifically it was a 5 or 6 panel set showing him being blown up and his claws shattering, etc.

I saw it a while back but can't remember, and me and a friend we talking about times he's gotten hosed up in a fight where someone has grabbed the claws and squeezed em or just blew him up.

I think cap squished his tendons once, and sentry just squeezed his claws.

If youre counting the movies, I think in wolverine origins(?) Liev Schreiber knocks him over and stomps on the claws shattering them.

e: Although I think the more badass moment in that fight is when sabertooth is fighting the teleporting guy and kills him by standing there taking hits until he works out where his next punch is gonna come from and just putting his hand where his spine is going to be.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

willus posted:

the teleporting guy

Do you mean (not)Deadpool?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

flosofl posted:

Do you mean (not)Deadpool?

No, John Wraith, played by Will.i.am.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pls be mindful of Civil War II Spoilers:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
How is what looks like Tony Stark punched in half by Thanos badass again?

I mean, given the huge power difference between the two of them I figure that should be expected.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Looks more like War Machine

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, it would have been awesome if it were the other guy instead. :sigh:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

willus posted:

If youre counting the movies, I think in wolverine origins(?) Liev Schreiber knocks him over and stomps on the claws shattering them.

e: Although I think the more badass moment in that fight is when sabertooth is fighting the teleporting guy and kills him by standing there taking hits until he works out where his next punch is gonna come from and just putting his hand where his spine is going to be.
I was sad when he died. Wraith was a cool guy.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Nahxela posted:

I was sad when he died. Wraith was a cool guy.

same

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Maybe they're trying to haphazardly stitch together plot points from the movies and the comics? Next issue has Rhodey paralyzed and learning to walk again with mechnical assistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Eh. Maybe. So many armors and I'd recently seen the armor Tony used to kick the poo poo out of the Fae/Elves, which looked somewhat similar at a glance.