Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Take off your shield and learn to love the Circle button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Faux Mulder posted:

Guys I am having a shitload of trouble with Pontiff Sulyvahn. I'm a Lv50 Dex build using a +5 sharp uchigatana and the Dragon Crest shield for fire/magic def. His first form kicked me around for a good while until I realised that for all his endless attacks he generally isn't fast enough to actually hit me before I recover from the guard break stagger, and now I'm mostly able to beat the first half of the fight without using more than one Estus. Then he summons that clone and together they inevitably get around my guard through positioning or brute force, and hammer me.

The closest I've come is putting some fire on my sword and summoning the NPC guy outside, who at least managed to take out the clone before getting killed, but then Sulyvahn just summoned another clone and immediately proceeded to lock me into an inescapable flurry of attacks that took me down from full health in seconds. I'm on about my tenth try now and I'm not getting anywhere near a win. Any advice?

use great chaos orb if you have the stats during the second phase as soon as he starts summoning his clone. It usually kills it or severely weakens it. Also, you can use the dried knuckles and summon three npcs to the boss if they are available and they will basically solo him for you. Just avoid drawing his aggro and do the toast gesture in an alcove.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Faux Mulder posted:

Guys I am having a shitload of trouble with Pontiff Sulyvahn. I'm a Lv50 Dex build using a +5 sharp uchigatana and the Dragon Crest shield for fire/magic def. His first form kicked me around for a good while until I realised that for all his endless attacks he generally isn't fast enough to actually hit me before I recover from the guard break stagger, and now I'm mostly able to beat the first half of the fight without using more than one Estus. Then he summons that clone and together they inevitably get around my guard through positioning or brute force, and hammer me.

The closest I've come is putting some fire on my sword and summoning the NPC guy outside, who at least managed to take out the clone before getting killed, but then Sulyvahn just summoned another clone and immediately proceeded to lock me into an inescapable flurry of attacks that took me down from full health in seconds. I'm on about my tenth try now and I'm not getting anywhere near a win. Any advice?

I had success circling left in melee range during the first phase of the fight. For the second phase, you have to be aggressive in killing his clone or else you'll get overwhelmed easily. The second phase lunge attack is well telegraphed and the one where he crashes down from the sky is too. If you can figure out the timing and dodge twice, you can get a couple hits in before you disengage.

I ran a very similar build and was able to kill him with only one clone spawning. Try and capitalize on him and his clone being stacked following attacks to damage both.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Real Pontiff almost always does the same attack the clone does, so if you can dodge one, you know what's coming next and you can punish. Also when he is summoning the clone you can damage both of them as they're stacked.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Uhhhh this isn't supposed to happen during co-op, is it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SynthOrange posted:

Who doesnt want to smash the hell out of statues of children though?

I bet you if those statues actually could be destroyed, way more players would keep Anri alive completely on accident.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 28, 2016

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm amazed you got all the way to Dragonslayer Armour without hitting that bug, I get that all the time, both as the host and the phantom :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Welcome to the dark souls 3 netcode, first time I had this happen was this boss too but I think it can happen anywhere. I don't believe this could happen in any previous game.

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah he said he was going to stream the rest of Bloodborne on Twitch, hasn't streamed it even once. :mad:

I thought he stopped playing bloodborne when he got to rom because the spiders bothered him

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So I summoned some dude to help me fight a boss, Yhorm the giant??
Anyways they're two handing this big sword and they did this thing, I don't know if it was a miracle or sword magic, where they get into a pose and a white line goes from them to the other side of the room, after a bit of a build up all of a sudden a gigantic wall will burst up from the line and cause massive damage. What is this called so I can read more about it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Search the boss room better

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Digirat posted:

Welcome to the dark souls 3 netcode, first time I had this happen was this boss too but I think it can happen anywhere. I don't believe this could happen in any previous game.

I haven't seen anything even close to this bad on the ps4.

casual poster posted:

So I summoned some dude to help me fight a boss, Yhorm the giant??
Anyways they're two handing this big sword and they did this thing, I don't know if it was a miracle or sword magic, where they get into a pose and a white line goes from them to the other side of the room, after a bit of a build up all of a sudden a gigantic wall will burst up from the line and cause massive damage. What is this called so I can read more about it.

To elaborate on what Digirat said, search near the throne itself. Should be an item you can pick up an use against Yhorm.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I bet you if those statues actually good be destroyed, way more players would keep Anri alive completely on accident.

Fun fact: if you non-aggressively break the pilgrim's disguise (Force, kick) they have unique dialogue telling you the ritual is almost ready.

Cyberventurer posted:

Hacker invades a streamer as a Nameless King "miniboss", even fakes a phase change when he's brought below half health. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbTSHRIhmg&t=523s

Every time I've run into a hacker that tries something 'cool' like this, they're a petulant rear end in a top hat that pulls out the curse sword or infinite stunlock weapon when they're about to lose.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Fire Barrel posted:

I haven't seen anything even close to this bad on the ps4.

To elaborate on what Digirat said, search near the throne itself. Should be an item you can pick up an use against Yhorm.

Oh awesome, I just read up on it. Thanks!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

if the game lags bad it wont even register the player entered the boss door and you cant go in. A lot of times you can tell its gonna happen as the host's character doesn't animate, just slides around like in that video.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I invaded a fella in Farron's Keep with the end game Katana Tiny Katana double weapon, so I just ran to the black knight and let that dude kill him. Did I feel like a big man? Yes I did.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Untended graves wasn't so bad to find. I guess I found ash lake myself too. Dragon peak I have no clue how anyone found, even if it did seem like there should be something there.

I can imagine someone recognizing the emote when they learn it and going back to see if it does anything. After all, the previous games taught us that emotes can trigger area transitions.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wonder how thoroughly discouraging it is for a casual player who doesn't really understand PvP to be invaded by someone, try to attack them, and be immediately parried and one-shotted by the Hornet Ring riposte.

Because it happened to me earlier today and even though I vaguely get how PvP works it still totally sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

I thought he stopped playing bloodborne when he got to rom because the spiders bothered him

Man they don't even look that much like real spiders.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
He's lucky he never made it to Mensis, then.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Digirat posted:

He beat Rom.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Those mixed feelings when you're a mad spirit running an obscuring ring bleed build looking for a lone wayward host of embers to get that 1 kill and the words Blue Spirit and concord appear on screen with a little floating lantern showing you right where the blood pinata just spawned. I'm not sure they even realized what was happening before they gibbed and went back to the eternal queue

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Take off your shield and learn to love the Circle button.

Learn to love both.

My first playthrough I beat him shieldless after 2 dozen attempts, more than any boss in the game. Every subsequent playthrough I brought a shield as insurance and I haven't died to him again. Not all of that is experience.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Fun fact: if you non-aggressively break the pilgrim's disguise (Force, kick) they have unique dialogue telling you the ritual is almost ready.

Funner fact: they have different dialogue if you're not on Yuria's side when you break their disguise and talk to them.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

hard counter posted:

Well this is the game that tries to make Patches out to be some unbreakable badass after all. It makes sense miracles would follow suit.

But Patches IS unbreakable?!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tengames posted:

if the game lags bad it wont even register the player entered the boss door and you cant go in. A lot of times you can tell its gonna happen as the host's character doesn't animate, just slides around like in that video.

I just black crystal out if I see the host sliding around. Even if going to the boss battle works it ends up with some lovely thing where the boss slides around not attacking the phantom, which although making for an easy battle is no fun at all.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
This game needs more invisible walkways.

I really really want a reason to trust those "try waddling off this cliff you moron" messages.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Soho Joe posted:

This game needs more invisible walkways.

I really really want a reason to trust those "try waddling off this cliff you moron" messages.

Many a prism stone has saved my life from my trusting nature.

*Watches stone phase completely through seemingly solid tower top and hear it shatter moments later*

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
What happens to Sirris's questline if you kill Hodrick before Cursed Greatwood when entering Pit of Hollows through the cage?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Forgall posted:

What happens to Sirris's questline if you kill Hodrick before Cursed Greatwood when entering Pit of Hollows through the cage?

It progresses exactly the same way. In fact, that's how you get Mound-makers if you missed it from doing that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Forgall posted:

Just fyi Hodrick is a dick and he wrecked my poo poo when I tried killing him solo.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hodrick fight is so good because you are thinking this is going to be so easy with two people to kill some scrub and then he immediately parries and ripostes you for a one hit kill.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
here's my long awaited guide for new players
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twexa8S2B9c

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jaaam posted:

And you don't get blessed weapon until well after Carthus where it'd be useful. drat shame, it's religious persecution is what it is.

Blessed Weapon is actually pretty solid since you get to buff without worrying about adding split damage, but obviously it comes way too late for faith-heavy builds (though you can get it early if you kill the Dancer early).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
How hosed is my Siegward quest if I didn't meet Patches in disguise at the cathedral?

(I went to the rafters first and Patches or Siegward don't seem to spawn at the cathedral now)

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Smol posted:

How hosed is my Siegward quest if I didn't meet Patches in disguise at the cathedral?

(I went to the rafters first and Patches or Siegward don't seem to spawn at the cathedral now)

You're fine, just go up the tower where the fire keeper soul is and patches should appear and lock you in, he'll then go to the shrine and you can buy the armour to give to Siggy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Not hosed at all. That's how it went for me in NG+ and I still could complete the quest just fine.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

double nine posted:

Just fyi Hodrick is a dick and he wrecked my poo poo when I tried killing him solo.

The Hodrick mad phantom you can summon near Crucifixion Woods can easily one shot invaders, especially when he buffs himself. He'll usually bee line straight for you, but as soon as someone hurts him he's endlessly persistent at pursuing them. Watch someone hit him with an accidental swipe then groan as he latches onto them. Also he has a lot of HP and drops warmth!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Not hosed at all. That's how it went for me in NG+ and I still could complete the quest just fine.

You mean you didn't see Siegward at all at the Cathedral, but he still showed up at Irithyll?

Shannow posted:

You're fine, just go up the tower where the fire keeper soul is and patches should appear and lock you in, he'll then go to the shrine and you can buy the armour to give to Siggy.

But Siegward hasn't spawned in the well either.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ehhh; warmth is a bit of a wet fart in DS3, just doesn't do enough healing to actually aid in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I have a few stupid questions regarding Aldrich faithful summoning, I'm getting frustrated. I'm just a few dregs away from getting the sorcery, which is the last one I need. All of a sudden I'm unable to be summoned. I get the "Can't invade failed to join session" error. I just started a ng+ when my power went out for a moment while I was playing. The next day is when I started getting the error messages. So my question is, do I need to be near anor londo to be summoned? I'm currently in crucifixion forest, I just killed the sage before leaving for the weekend. I've read a hard reboot may fix the problem so I powered my ps4 down for the weekend while I'm away in hopes of that fixing the problem.

I've played through the drat game with 3 characters and am in the midst of ng+ with 2 of them so I can do covenant stuff since I ignored them until now. If I can't find a fix, I'm stuck with just invading as a dark spirit if I want to pvp, which sucks.

Has anyone else ran into this poo poo?