Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How do you even do ranked? Right now all I see is quick match and custom match. Not that I'd ever do ranked, being a casual babby.

Unrelated: How does this game do in stringing players along for cosmetics like TF2 did? That game had me log 800 hours just for how fun it was and collecting all that random loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Internet Kraken posted:

There's a severe lack variety in the voice lines you can spam throughout the match as well.

The biggest thing I hate about this game is that it doesn't have TF2's voice menu. In a game that's all about team coordination, especially with so few people, not having an option to call out manually "Hey, sentry ahead!" when standing around a corner is just asking for bad times.

Like ok yes I get that it's automated that the characters say stuff like "watch your back!" if you get shot in the rear end, but some really important crap like "Find a teleporter!" Should be the kind of crap that you'd broadcast both to game audio and the chat feed.

And tying it back to the variety thing, having that sort of 3-page voice-option menu would also allow you to spout out random-rear end positive/negative catchphrases, or even use your full list of bought voice lines!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Verranicus posted:

I'm glad they made characters for refugees from TF2 so I can continue the joys of hiding behind turrets.

You're playing Torb wrong

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Verranicus posted:

How do you even do ranked? Right now all I see is quick match and custom match. Not that I'd ever do ranked, being a casual babby.

Unrelated: How does this game do in stringing players along for cosmetics like TF2 did? That game had me log 800 hours just for how fun it was and collecting all that random loot.

Ranked queues are disabled until July for under the hood tweaking.

Bluhman posted:

The biggest thing I hate about this game is that it doesn't have TF2's voice menu. In a game that's all about team coordination, especially with so few people, not having an option to call out manually "Hey, sentry ahead!" when standing around a corner is just asking for bad times.

Like ok yes I get that it's automated that the characters say stuff like "watch your back!" if you get shot in the rear end, but some really important crap like "Find a teleporter!" Should be the kind of crap that you'd broadcast both to game audio and the chat feed.

And tying it back to the variety thing, having that sort of 3-page voice-option menu would also allow you to spout out random-rear end positive/negative catchphrases, or even use your full list of bought voice lines!
The Pootis Meme

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Verranicus posted:

You don't. I guess it's supposed to be coming in the future because...Splatoon.

Verranicus posted:

There's not nearly as much of that...yet, but it's launched with more cosmetics than TF2 had for the first several years. Currently you can unlock skins (that's entire skins, not hats) and a lot of other, less exciting things. I suspect this is something else that will be filled out in post-release support.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Rocketlex posted:

You don't. I guess it's supposed to be coming in the future because...Splatoon.

quote:

In a Facebook Q and A, Kaplan says that ranked play will be coming in a big content update in mid to late June that will feature competitive mode. In the video, Kaplan says: “Competitive mode is the current focus of the Overwatch team, and it's the most important thing for us to add to the game right now.”

Blizzard decided to remove it from the game, after players started to notice some of the problems in competitive mode. The biggest problem was that it was matching low-skill players with much more highly skilled ones, causing lopsided fights. If you put a top-tier player up against four weaker ones, the top-tier player will dominate in the skill based game that is Overwatch.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Huh. Well, that's also why Splatoon did it, so I guess my point kinda stands.

EDIT: For some reason it's weird to me that they're calling it "Competitive Mode." Like...there's no non-competitive component to this game at all.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 28, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Verranicus posted:

I'm glad they made characters for refugees from TF2 so I can continue the joys of hiding behind turrets.

Torbjorn is actually way more fun than TF2's Engie ever was because he's actually not lovely at fighting and he only has one building and he can set up quickly so you can just dump a turret and then go shoot dudes and come back when you need to put down another one or fix it.

Symmetra stinks though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Verranicus posted:

The loot system is completely random with no trading, so your never gonna get the stuff you want unless you buy it with the ingame currency. But the ingame currency stacks up super slow so your only gonna get the stuff you want after opening tons of boxes.

To me its pretty boring, though I don't really care because you can only equip full skins anyways. Less fun to customize your dolls when you can't equip a bunch of different stuff to create a cool original look.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

That is a perfect description.

Rirse posted:

Everytime she uses her power, she needs to yell SNES9X out loud.

While Dva is the Competitive Gamer, Tracer spends her hobby time with Tool Assisted Speedruns.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

mcvey posted:

You're playing Torb wrong

I'm sorry, good thing I'm not in ranked so I can play wrong and still have fun.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

The Voice Line option should choose randomly from the pool of lines you've unlocked every time you use it GDI.

Uh then I wouldn't be able to have Winston say "How embarrassing" every time I need him to

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Shoot sonar arrow as Hanzo, a Mcree runs out of nowhere infront of it and it winds up killing him. Good problem to have?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I charged a sentried up Bastion as Reinhardt and we both went flying off the edge of the map and cracked up in allchat together. I love this game.

Reinhardt is fun, but no one is as fun as Junkrat though.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The anti-aliasing options in this game are pretty bad. Doom spoiled me with its TSSAA and sharpening. Hope Blizzard implements something like that eventually.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Every time I play Reinhardt I feel like my team has an allergic reaction to being near my shield and the games just become painful. Also his E doesn't seem to hit on target, or maybe that's just me not paying close enough attention.

On an unrelated note, McCree and everyone who picks him can go to hell. They could flat out remove his stun and he'd still be a perfectly fine character.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Akumos posted:

https://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/hero/20/score

Apparently I'm the #80 ranked Mei in terms of score lmao. Any other Mei gods here?

#21 Mei, and 99 on Symmetra. These sites are like crack, gotta look up all my stats.

I want to see what my win % is for attack and what it is for defense. Feels like defense spawn could be moved back a tiny bit for the last point in payload. Always seems to end up completely stalling right there. Tracer dashes cool down, Mccree's right click and Hanzo's attack speed need to be nerfed I think. Seems as though every time I flank a Hanzo and start to kill him he can just spin and spam arrows at me and kill me. Its getting to the point where it feels like its a 50/50 chance on me taking down a Hanzo with Mei.

Had a crazy moment tonight playing Roadhog, I ended up pulling a Bastion. Instead of just stopping at me he went right through me and then through a building and my chain kept on going. I dont know if it was a coincidence or not but he disconnected like a half second later. Me and the guy I was playing with stood there dumbfounded for a good few seconds trying to figure out what happened when a Hanzo ulted us for POTG.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 28, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lady Naga posted:

Ranked queues are disabled until July for under the hood tweaking.

The Pootis Meme

"pootis" is badass

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akumos posted:

https://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/hero/20/score

Apparently I'm the #80 ranked Mei in terms of score lmao. Any other Mei gods here?

#79 Reinhardt. How is the score calculated exactly?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The anti-aliasing options in this game are pretty bad. Doom spoiled me with its TSSAA and sharpening. Hope Blizzard implements something like that eventually.

Blizzard games will also run on a literal potato at minimum settings though so they have to plan around that rather than the 4k 144hz rigs.

When everything's in motion you don't notice too much anyway.

e: Apparently my Mercy K:D is 0.08.. You should get damage credit for eliminations when you're boosting people IMO.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 28, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I played Bastion because of the thread title in my first ever game, sat on a payload and hit shift and got 15 kills and play of the round

lol.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

chumbler posted:

Every time I play Reinhardt I feel like my team has an allergic reaction to being near my shield and the games just become painful. Also his E doesn't seem to hit on target, or maybe that's just me not paying close enough attention.

Sometimes on payload it's okay to be a solo Reinhardt standing guard over the objective while your squad fans out and runs interference.

Also there's a fun mindgame angle to consider. If opponent's see a raised Reinhardt shield, they will shoot at it, probably assuming there has to be something or someone behind it. So...just remember that you're carrying a big, bullet-soaking target that you can use to draw enemies anywhere you want.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The most frustrating thing about dealing with enemy Reinhardts is when your team takes one look at the shield and goes "welp, nothing we can possibly about that" not even bothering to damage it or get around him. Break the freaking shield!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The most frustrating thing about dealing with enemy Reinhardts is when your team takes one look at the shield and goes "welp, nothing we can possibly about that" not even bothering to damage it or get around him. Break the freaking shield!

Well the shield has so much HP that it's often a better idea to just walk around it and shoot him in the back. Especially if his team is actually playing properly and are standing behind the shield and shooting you in the face while you try to break it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Verranicus posted:

I'm sorry, good thing I'm not in ranked so I can play wrong and still have fun.

I'm just saying.

His turret is very expendable(and much more killable than a TF2 turret), his gun is great(shotgun does tonnes of damage close up), has great HP and his ult turns him into a tough to kill dmg spewing menace. Plus he collects scrap from fallen enemies that turn into very useful armor pickups.

You're robbing him of a lot of his usefulness if you just stick around your turret. A bad torb is a bad torb regardless of mode.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hello, I'd just like to mention that Roadhog is the best and my most successful hero and hooking fools left and right never gets old. He's my Overwatch husbando and I love him dearly.

Also don't get angry at video games.

Probably shouldn't suck docks either, sounds unhygienic.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

Well the shield has so much HP that it's often a better idea to just walk around it and shoot him in the back. Especially if his team is actually playing properly and are standing behind the shield and shooting you in the face while you try to break it.

No

Spam the shield

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The shield breaks pretty fast please shoot the shield

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It's amazing how much: A: This game owns; B:I suck at this game

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got to repeatedly dunk on an enemy Pharah 1v1 on Dorado and it was the loving best. Any time we met in the sky I'd swat her down with air-to-air shots and it just. kept. happening. I hope they felt that their karmic due was finally paid when at the very end they managed to finally ult on top of my head.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Use the shield to get full symmetra M1 charge then walk behind him and kill his Mercy in 1 second, then kill him.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Do your part in making your Reinhardt win by shooting the enemy Reinhardt shield through your Reinhardt shield.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
holy loving poo poo some of the people I play with are complete imbeciles and they really shouldn't be, goddamn.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Use the shield to get full symmetra M1 charge then walk behind him and kill his Mercy in 1 second, then kill him.

I wasn't sure if she'd be able to charge off the shield so that's good to know.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
tip for lucios: if the other team has a lucio, especially if you're on defense, and the other lucio ults before a push just switch to speed aura and amp it up. tell your team over comms to run the gently caress away. lucio ult only lasts for 5 seconds max and charges insanely slow, so if you just amp away from it then you just caused a huge swing in ult advantage, esp if the enemy tanks/dps preemptively popped ults as well for the push.

this doesn't work if it's A/D defense on point or if you running away would let them push the cart into the goal, but otherwise at worst you give them another few meters of cart progress which you'll almost definitely get back shortly after

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ahhpple posted:

No

Spam the shield
ye

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

He doesn't blow himself up, though.

I've blown myself up as Junkrat a few times. Point-blank riptires that kill 3-4 enemies and myself have gotten me two Play of the Games!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

What's the PC recording program of choice now? Just d.va'd a team :stwoon:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I loving love playing as Mercy. I feel like I contribute and I get 5-6 commendations every match. When you're in the zone and you manage to keep the entire team alive in the face of relentless assaults, it's gaming nirvana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rocketlex posted:

Do we have any trip reports on going Six-Hog? If everyone's on point it seems like it could be pretty good.
We tried it in the beta (well 5 Hogs and a Mercy) and it didn't work out well, but that was offensively on a payload and was the first time playing Hog for many of us, so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj7t1hps-N8