Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I am still clueless after book 4. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

alcharagia posted:

I feel really bad for anyone who didn't legit try to solve the mystery of Umineko. It's stellar.

Relatedly, I also feel bad for anyone who has only watched the anime.

I think part of the issue was that by the time I finished reading the question arcs, the answer arcs were already in production. So at that point, I preferred to just move on to the next installment than read back through witch/demon battles and sidestories to scrape for more clues. (although if I remember there's a pretty detailed recap of the previous games' mysteries around that point, which is helpful). The redtext mechanics probably should've given away that it was solvable with just the questions arc but oh well.

While I think it'd be neat to re-read the series to see what I missed, the B-cast sidestories that plague the later chapters kind of soured me on the whole thing, as excellent as the actual murder mystery and redtext/deduction parts were.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i actually read umineko years after it was already finished over the course of about two weeks :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

two weeks? jesus, man

it took me a month to reread the whole series

the series that is like thrice the size of war and peace

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i loving love a good mystery

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Something that worked/is working for me: It's a great series to get together with a friend or two, and you all agree to read through the next chapter over the course of a week or two, then you all get together and theorycraft.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wonder how many of the people who guessed it early were reading it as it was being translated and had months between episodes to theorycraft and think about things. I pretty much marathoned all eight episodes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also yeah, pretty much every single visual novel pales in comparison to Umineko's soundtrack. It's so loving good.

deadangle.ogg

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm partial to Deep Blue Jeer and Endless Nine myself

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Has anyone played Steins;gate 0? Is it as good as the first story, or is it just some side story filler like Chrono Cross? I have avoided spoilers in case it ever comes over here, but the brief summary of the scenario sounds kind of underwhelming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the truth posted:

Has anyone played Steins;gate 0? Is it as good as the first story, or is it just some side story filler like Chrono Cross? I have avoided spoilers in case it ever comes over here, but the brief summary of the scenario sounds kind of underwhelming.

The people I know who have read it liked it a lot. It's apparently pretty dang good. I don't know much more beyond that.

It seems reasonably likely that we'll be getting a translation in the near future, if these leaks pan out: http://gematsu.com/2016/05/steinsgate-0-listed-spanish-retailers

But PS4/Vita only :(

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 25, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wonder how many of the people who guessed it early were reading it as it was being translated and had months between episodes to theorycraft and think about things. I pretty much marathoned all eight episodes.
As an aside, I seem to remember there was a 07th Expansion official message board where Ryukishi07 ran a tiny "contest" when the very first episode of Higurashi came out to see if anyone could guess what was going on at the very start. I want to say only one person guessed right.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've only read up to the end of Chapter 2, and I'm guessing that it is a curse linked to the woman from the start of chapter 1 apologizing. Something about not accepting apologies causes a curse, and if that one thing is fixed then everything is fine? Alternatively, blame the shrine priestess and her friend for murdering literally everyone related to them.

I'm quite excited for the Psycho Pass VN, written by Gen Urobochi himself. I've heard very good things, and we get it in English on PS4 and Vita September 13th or thereabouts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

As an aside, I seem to remember there was a 07th Expansion official message board where Ryukishi07 ran a tiny "contest" when the very first episode of Higurashi came out to see if anyone could guess what was going on at the very start. I want to say only one person guessed right.

I'm pretty sure that must have been blind luck. Higurashi's mystery was much more poorly formulated (something r07 himself criticized heavily within Umineko). I don't think the framework was in place to properly suss it out early in the story.

edit: Also, the Steins;Gate 0 leaks have been confirmed, pqube is releasing it on ps4/vita in english: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/steinsgate-0-english-2016-release-in-europe-north-america-confirmed/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Still struggling my way through I / O

I'm pretty bored. The Route A protagonist was insufferable for the first 4-5 hours, now that the plot seems to have mildly kicked in, he's just boring. Think it's been 7 hours and I'm on the eleventh chapter? It just doesn't really feel like anything's happened at all. I really am trying to get into this game but it's like the most boring route of any visual novel I've played.

I'll press on through

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, the Steins;Gate 0 leaks have been confirmed, pqube is releasing it on ps4/vita in english: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/steinsgate-0-english-2016-release-in-europe-north-america-confirmed/

I'll celebrate by grabbing some Dr. P from the nearest store. It's an intellectual drink for the chosen ones.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

voltcatfish posted:

I'm pretty bored. The Route A protagonist was insufferable for the first 4-5 hours, now that the plot seems to have mildly kicked in, he's just boring. Think it's been 7 hours and I'm on the eleventh chapter? It just doesn't really feel like anything's happened at all. I really am trying to get into this game but it's like the most boring route of any visual novel I've played.

I'll press on through

Welcome to I/O. Annoying, then boring, then OK, boring again, then OK again, then boring (yet again), and finally insane (not in a good way). This was my experience with I/O. Yeah, it isn't going to be getting too much better.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

Welcome to I/O. Annoying, then boring, then OK, boring again, then OK again, then boring (yet again), and finally insane (not in a good way). This was my experience with I/O. Yeah, it isn't going to be getting too much better.

That's a shame. I spoke to a dude who has played both I / O and Root Double all the way through, and he said he enjoyed I / O significantly more.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

That's a shame. I spoke to a dude who has played both I / O and Root Double all the way through, and he said he enjoyed I / O significantly more.

Opinions of I/O vary upon person. People either love or dislike it. I'm in the latter group, and considering your opinion so far, you'll probably be in there as well.

Personally, I loved Root Double. I'd give it a 9/10, and I/O a 5/10.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 28, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Best thing about Root Double is that the protagonists are voiced. Even though I wasn't so keen on the Before route at first, now I just leave it on auto and imagine its a chill slice of life series with a slightly more interesting setting. I don't know any of the nuances of Japanese voice acting, but the voices in this are pretty good.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I'll press on through

Yeah I think A only works as a setup for B, which is fun, and C, which is fantastic. Don't expect that guy to get any more interesting though, unfortunately.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I/O was said to be mediocre for years so ultimately that's not that surprising when it finally does become available.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 28, 2016

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I wanted to like I/O and I kind of liked parts of it but eventually it kept being SO much work to progress through in hopes of ever understanding anything that I lost momentum and gave up. Too many other games to play, and honestly I'm afraid that their answers aren't actually going to make sense and I would be better off sticking with my own crazy theories.

After that, I'm wary of attempting Root Double.

On the other hand everyone should play The House in Fata Morgana.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

gegi posted:

After that, I'm wary of attempting Root Double.

Root Double is a lot better than I/O IMO. Route A is pretty quick, Route B is slower paced but still fine. If there are any problems, its that the game slows down after most of the mysteries have been solved, but it is still probably my favorite VN directed by Nakazawa.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 29, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I tried to look it up on Wikipedia, but it doesn't have Uchikoshi's name anywhere on Root Double?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

I tried to look it up on Wikipedia, but it doesn't have Uchikoshi's name anywhere on Root Double?

Oops, I meant Nakazawa. :doh: I'm tired.

Also, apparently he directed it but didn't write it. I'll have to fix that too then.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Oof, going into Root Double's B route after finishing route A is like being pulled out of a hot bath into freezing temperatures. I hope the payoff is worth all this boring setup.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So uh can you play B first or are you just hosed

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah you can play route B first if you want, but I'm not very far into it so I can't speak about how it would affect the experience. I'm also really awful at mysteries and still completely clueless after finishing A.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah you can play route B first if you want, but I'm not very far into it so I can't speak about how it would affect the experience. I'm also really awful at mysteries and still completely clueless after finishing A.

The end of route B spoils a lot of stuff from route A (especially the part of the route after the credits), so starting with A is better. B is a little slow, yeah.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The more of Root Double that I read just shows how much of a Yuuri ex machina it is, and only Kindred Spirits on the Roof is allowed to feature Yuuri ex machina.

Also I saw that Sunrider Liberation Day has gotten a DLC and apparently its pretty good. Has anyone actually tried it? I thought the first two were fairly enjoyable for free games, even if they weren't actually good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

So uh can you play B first or are you just hosed

You can but you really shouldn't. Route B is going to be boring to everyone who hates slice of life no matter what order it's played in. And if you play it first, you stand to ruin a good amount of the suspense in Root A.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 4, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

oops i decided to be honest about my feelings for the characters in this route and i'm hitting every single bad end

FINE i'll play along game, jeez

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Bad ends aren't a punishment though! Feel free; I ended up with two ends in Route A unseen.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Should I care about those Kindred Spirits on the Roof drama CDs they've been putting out on Steam?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I forgot about those, I doubt they're terribly essential but I might grab them anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Should I care about those Kindred Spirits on the Roof drama CDs they've been putting out on Steam?

they're cute and funny. if you want to spend more time with the cast then yeah, they're worth buying, but it isn't a multi-hour long epic or essential to the story or anything.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Getsuya posted:

Cool. I like having less decisions to make in my life.

Also just chipping in on the yuri VN conversation from earlier: if you want a good clean yuri game without ickyness you need to spam the localizers to localize Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun/White Robe Love Syndrome because it is the best non-adult yuri game. It's about Japanese nurses and it was written with the help of Japanese nurses so it's half fairly realistic representation of being a female nurse in Japan and half really sweet love story. I think I've mentioned it before and I'll probably mention it again whenever yuri games come up because it's seriously really good. For those who can read Japanese it's available on both PC and PSP.

Hey, guess what's coming to Steam this month. (Different game, but same developer and series.)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The third question arc of higurashi is out according to my email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It was supposed to come out next week but I guess they decided to release it early for some reason? I hope you're ready to "enjoy" this lovely chapter. Don't worry guys, this time everything will go smoothly.