Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gently caress me, I got Plantera down to 900 hp and then died in lava. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zereth posted:

I'm not seeing "every relevant potion you can make" in there. Ironskin, endurance, regen, heartreach, etc. Also, make a stardust dragon staff and use a bewitching table, and an ammo box and ammo use down potion if you have them, but you can deal with that by just making more ammo. Also remember that standing on the ground is actually better for the solar pillar becuase thos big worms don't give a poo poo about you unless you're in the air.

I can handle the pillars fine now, I just needed to get back into the groove. I do have all those potions, I just forgot to use them... aaand I just remembered there's a button that uses all your buff potions automatically. Dammit.

The real problem is I just go so overwhelmed during the battle and confused by all the visual effects that I can't keep my head. :sigh:

Cat Mattress posted:

Definitely save all the crates you can find to open them only after you reach hardmode. Try to get a few crates from every biome, too. You may need to flood a section of the dungeon to get dungeon crate; the best way to fish in a dungeon is pre-hardmode where you can build yourself a safe little cabin. Kill all dungeon monsters which aren't dumb skeletons, but keep all skeletons alive and stuck in a little on-screen area where they can't reach you. This way it'll prevent annoying monsters that can fly , toss projectiles, or go through bricks from spawning and you can fish for a while (possibly AFK) in piece.

Why? The only difference I see is they have biome-specific loot and hardmode metal bars like the Iron crates do. The loot is things that are really usable in normal mode, if you haven't already found them by exploring, and none of the biome crates get any hardmode-specific drops.
Saving crates is definitely good advice though. I also suggest setting up a sky lake and a honey lake near your base.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Solumin posted:

I can handle the pillars fine now, I just needed to get back into the groove. I do have all those potions, I just forgot to use them... aaand I just remembered there's a button that uses all your buff potions automatically. Dammit.

The real problem is I just go so overwhelmed during the battle and confused by all the visual effects that I can't keep my head. :sigh:

Why? The only difference I see is they have biome-specific loot and hardmode metal bars like the Iron crates do. The loot is things that are really usable in normal mode, if you haven't already found them by exploring, and none of the biome crates get any hardmode-specific drops.
Saving crates is definitely good advice though. I also suggest setting up a sky lake and a honey lake near your base.

Any suggestions on how to get a sky lake going, aside from one bucket at a time? (On console)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

Any suggestions on how to get a sky lake going, aside from one bucket at a time? (On console)

Do buckets stack on console? That's one way to get started. But the real trick is infinite water using pumps. Basically, if an Inlet pump is completely submerged, the connected Outlet pump will produce slightly more water than was input. Couple this with using stairs to increase liquid volume, because holy poo poo Terraria is broken in some ways, and you get infinitely increasing water. Even better, it'll stop once the outlet pump is submerged, so you can just set it up and walk away. (But not too far away, I think some wire stuff stops working if the map chunk gets unloaded.) As far as I know, this will work on console.

You can use this same setup with honey and lava, but it's a little bit harder because those liquids are slower/more viscous. But with a good setup, it'll only take slightly longer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Zombie Guy posted:

If you're on console then there's no real point to sky fishing. The only sky-exclusive catches are the Damselfish, Angelfish, Cloudfish, and skycrate. If the wiki is correct, the console version is still at the level of PC version 1.2.4, which means that there's no biome crate to be caught (they were added in 1.3), sky quest fishes can be still caught on the surface (this oversight was fixed in 1.3, note that even past 1.3, sky themed quest fishes such as the harpy fish and wyverntail can still be caught on the surface) and so basically all you'll be missing is an ingredient of calming potions.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

I recommend dealing with this problem by using Party Bullets.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

In R&M it kinda works because it's used as a way to describe how offensive some slur is supposed to be: it's just a fancy way of saying 'it's as bad as all these slurs combined". Your use of it just plain didn't work.

It worked just fine, despite my never having seen the show and simply googling "raised by all the bad words for jews." In the show, Glip-glops is like all these (slurs) combined, and in his reference, Terraria is like all these (game types) combined. Quit being a drat wimp and let it go.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

JFC just admit that your stupid joke fell flat and go on with your day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

That's not even the guy that made the joke?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I have problems with name recognition.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Very nice, thanks.

The 2nd-to-last(? The white zone) area's screwing me up.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Any tips on Pumpkin Moon or Frost Moon events (on console)? I built a monster arena full of Lihzard traps already, but I just can't do enough damage to get past wave ~11 on Pumpkin, and wave ~9 on Frost.

I'm using a summoner build with the Pygmy staff, the Frost Hydra staff, and the Scourge of the Corrupter, at the moment. I'm also having a lot of trouble evading the Pumpking (he's as fast as my hoverboard in sprint mode), and beating Santabot's defense. There don't seem to be many upgrades available, aside from the moon stone and moon shell, which just don't want to drop for me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

Any tips on Pumpkin Moon or Frost Moon events (on console)? I built a monster arena full of Lihzard traps already, but I just can't do enough damage to get past wave ~11 on Pumpkin, and wave ~9 on Frost.

I'm using a summoner build with the Pygmy staff, the Frost Hydra staff, and the Scourge of the Corrupter, at the moment. I'm also having a lot of trouble evading the Pumpking (he's as fast as my hoverboard in sprint mode), and beating Santabot's defense. There don't seem to be many upgrades available, aside from the moon stone and moon shell, which just don't want to drop for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghctr1_NtWQ

Just cheese it if you're playing solo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bluhman posted:

Very nice, thanks.

The 2nd-to-last(? The white zone) area's screwing me up.

Yeah, that area and the water bolt stuff in the forest ruins are the only parts where I took a bit to figure out the puzzles.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't get anywhere in it because it keeps crashing shortly after finishing the first area.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Note that on PC this is obsolete, the spike trick to avoid taking damage from other sources no longer works.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Note that on PC this is obsolete, the spike trick to avoid taking damage from other sources no longer works.

Yeah, but on PC the moon events are obsolete so w/e.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon are hands-down my least favorite events/encounters/bosses in the whole game, even expert Moon Lord you feel like you're striving against something, the Moons are so bad I literally thought my game bugged out the first time I got to the last wave.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon are hands-down my least favorite events/encounters/bosses in the whole game, even expert Moon Lord you feel like you're striving against something, the Moons are so bad I literally thought my game bugged out the first time I got to the last wave.
The only way I was able to solo the pumpkin moon back when it was relevant (and before the frost moon existed) was with the original Spectre set when the healing hat was the only one, and didn't have a damage penalty and I just stood ins the rain from two nimbus rod things and spammed magic.

I guess I could probably take them now by hosing them down with bullets being shot out of a dolphin but I also don't care anymore.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wonder how easy they'd be to solo with post Moon Lord gear.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Easy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wonder how easy they'd be to solo with post Moon Lord gear.

They're way easy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

watho posted:

CJacobs posted:

watho posted:

I have problems with name recognition.

Ironically, J(F)C was a Jew

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Say is there a way to make the drill mount you can make with luminite work on back walls too? apparently you can't make dungeon bricks into back walls so my efforts to completely demolish this dungeon and take it home with me has hit a snag.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zereth posted:

Say is there a way to make the drill mount you can make with luminite work on back walls too? apparently you can't make dungeon bricks into back walls so my efforts to completely demolish this dungeon and take it home with me has hit a snag.

The problem is probably that you're trying to mine it from the middle. You've got to start at the edge and work your way in, just like Dirt walls. Also, maybe try dynamite?

Edit: Oh, misunderstood what you're getting at. No, the Drill Containment Unit doesn't touch walls, though it'll get everything else. I'd suggest a Spectral Hamaxe or one of the luminite hamaxes for the increased range or, again, dynamite.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 29, 2016

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Solumin posted:

The problem is probably that you're trying to mine it from the middle. You've got to start at the edge and work your way in, just like Dirt walls. Also, maybe try dynamite?

Edit: Oh, misunderstood what you're getting at. No, the Drill Containment Unit doesn't touch walls, though it'll get everything else. I'd suggest a Spectral Hamaxe for the increased range or, again, dynamite.

Last I checked dynamite doesn't work against dungeon bricks or dungeon walls, so hammering it out is the only way.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Maguoob posted:

Last I checked dynamite doesn't work against dungeon bricks or dungeon walls, so hammering it out is the only way.

Dynamite definitely can't blow up dungeon bricks, but the wiki claims that dynamite will break dungeon walls. I will test.

Edit: My testing shows that, much like the hammer, Dynamite cannot break dungeon walls unless part of the wall is an edge, i.e. touching something other than dungeon wall. So starting from the entrance, you can just dynamite your way through the dungeon.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 29, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks to whoever made that LP recommendation. I've been sick the last couple of days and watching RockLeeSmile chatter amusingly while explaining Terraria as he goes along has occupied my time nicely.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HopperUK posted:

Thanks to whoever made that LP recommendation. I've been sick the last couple of days and watching RockLeeSmile chatter amusingly while explaining Terraria as he goes along has occupied my time nicely.
Is this a blind LP or just a "let me show you how it's done" sort of LP? For some reason games like Terraria I can only really enjoy blind. Maybe it's the same reason I enjoy watching all the new players in these threads find their way through it, with that vicarious sense of discovery.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Is this a blind LP or just a "let me show you how it's done" sort of LP? For some reason games like Terraria I can only really enjoy blind. Maybe it's the same reason I enjoy watching all the new players in these threads find their way through it, with that vicarious sense of discovery.

This one is a 'We know what we're doing' LP but since it's 1.3 and that changed stuff it's a little bit new-ish I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaAVDbMg_XArVUHwH_IE2BVYij7jB06L2

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I backed up my 1.2.x characters and worlds and started a new set for the latest update. I decided to stock up on a few crates in preparation for hard mode so I can upgrade to adamantite right away, and ... I think I have a problem. Send help.

Not sure whether I have enough now or whether I should get a full stack of corrupt crates.

e. I MUST HAVE MORE.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 29, 2016

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ambaire posted:

I backed up my 1.2.x characters and worlds and started a new set for the latest update. I decided to stock up on a few crates in preparation for hard mode so I can upgrade to adamantite right away, and ... I think I have a problem. Send help.

You have more than you will ever need :eyepop:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ambaire posted:

Not sure whether I have enough now or whether I should get a full stack of corrupt crates.

e. I MUST HAVE MORE.

How do you see all those informations under the minimap?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Elentor posted:

How do you see all those informations under the minimap?

There are accessories that display all that info. All of those can be combined into the PDA and Cell Pheone.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fetus posted:

There are accessories that display all that info. All of those can be combined into the PDA and Cell Pheone.

Thanks!

Also, is it worth to start a new character on the Expert World or is it tuned for geared characters?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It's designed to be played through on a new character.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elentor posted:

Thanks!

Also, is it worth to start a new character on the Expert World or is it tuned for geared characters?

Expert is tuned for parties and people good at not getting hit. Everything does around double damage, takes less and has at least 50% more hp. Most enemies also have some new attacks to help keep you from cheesing them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elentor posted:

Thanks!

New ones. You should totally take a bunch of bone javelins though, because you'll never get a chance to use them otherwise.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How do I change the default respawn time to be maybe a second at the longest? I'm loving tired of staring at 'YOU DIED, fuckwad' for an eternity. wasted enough of my life already staring at this stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vib Rib posted:

Nah, he's very experienced. I know what you mean though - I dearly love watching blind LPs of Dark Souls.