Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday :cheers:

Got sent home from work because we were too slow and now I'm headed to a Tiki bar with my lady friend. It's a great loving day :cheers:

It might sound bad to get cut, but in my previous shift I only got $30 in tips over 8 hours on our "busy day" and got deliberately shortstaffed. Last I heard from the other bartenders, half of the FOH employees were planning a full scale mutiny because of how bad things are. Can't wait to see how this plays out :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
"Well, it's a 30 year old car, of course there's *some* rust" the seller told me on the phone.

:v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

WTF. Did they fish that out of a lake?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's thirty year old rust, of course there's some car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ugh why are single make/model forums such cesspools? I just want some info on my car and to get anything you have to dig through huge swathes of people sucking the dicks of certain vendors, trolls who own competing cars and general insufferable idiots. The worst is when there is more than one forum and the members of each fight like cats because their forum is the "official" one or some other BS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

"Well, it's a 30 year old car, of course there's *some* rust" the seller told me on the phone.

"Some rust" makes my rusted Audi 4k Quattro from Illinois look brand spanking new.

BigPaddy posted:

Ugh why are single make/model forums such cesspools? I just want some info on my car and to get anything you have to dig through huge swathes of people sucking the dicks of certain vendors, trolls who own competing cars and general insufferable idiots. The worst is when there is more than one forum and the members of each fight like cats because their forum is the "official" one or some other BS.

TDIClub and nearly every VW Forum have gone this way.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So does anyone here use the Big Green Egg?
It's time to get a new grill, and I keep hearing people say great things about the Egg, about the way it cooks and whatnot, so I'm wondering if it's worth the cash.
It'll be the first time I'll be using a charcoal grill as well, but everyone I've talked to who owns on loves it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think there are cheaper komodo grill alternatives for much less money. BGEs are great but pricey. Check the meat smoking thread in GWS.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

"Some rust" makes my rusted Audi 4k Quattro from Illinois look brand spanking new.

I was trying to figure out an Illinois joke, but this works

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BigPaddy posted:

I like the ones where 90 percent of the topics are "performance" mods for models for which performance mods are completely illogical. And the mods are dubious at best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigPaddy posted:

The Mazdaspeed community has fragmented in the last two years. There's now multiple MS6 specific Facebook groups that pick fights with each other. At least when they're not trolling AWD Army.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

I like the ones where 90 percent of the topics are "performance" mods for models for which performance mods are completely illogical. And the mods are dubious at best.

Any time their car of choice appears in any form of media they must defend its honor. Both in the forums and by posting comments offsite

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NitroSpazzz posted:

What are you using for data/telemetry? I've thought about doing overlay on our car but right now the only thing we have for capturing data is the Aim Solo. Guys asked me if I could do a video feed and telemetry so I've been looking at options.

Nexus 5 + a 10Hz GPS + RaceChrono

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ExplodingSims posted:

It's time to get a new grill, and I keep hearing people say great things about the Egg, about the way it cooks and whatnot, so I'm wondering if it's worth the cash.
It'll be the first time I'll be using a charcoal grill as well, but everyone I've talked to who owns on loves it.

The eggs really are fantastic, but not worth the money. A few of my friends have them, and they're dummy-proof for smoking, plus they're super-efficient due to the ceramic keeping the heat in. One bag of charcoal can easily last you a full day. I'd advise this: if you're going to be mainly grilling and only occasionally smoking meat, get a Weber kettle and save $800. You don't sound like a hardcore smoked meat enthusiast.

Use a chimney starter and lump charcoal and you are halfway there. I use a remote thermostat to keep an eye on grill temperatures, but it's just because I'm lazy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ExplodingSims posted:

It does some things better than anything else. It's generally more efficient than your Weber style anything, but at a cost. I've never used one but there are goons in the smoking thread that love theirs. Hard not to love the concept and I'd love one, but used or an off brand version is probably what I'll end up with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: you know what gently caress it not the time or place for that

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There's rust, there's even treatable cancer.....

And then there's that. I don't think Sockington could do much with that - Kev might be able to, but it would take years. What is was it anyway?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 29, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Find a used big green egg on craigslist. I'm on my fourth bge and I'm a total fanboy but buy used if you're not sure about spending big money on one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
OKAY THIS HAS BEEN A COMEDY OF GODDAMNED ERRORS

Thinking I had done well today with the oil pump replacement on the bus, I decided to take it out to the local gas station to pick up some mixers for the rum I have.

I get to the Circle K, and notice that I'm leaving a trail, and there is a gigantic puddle of oil underneath the bus. A quick peek underneath makes it look like it's from the new oil pump area, but that area is blocked by the engine mount bar and other things.

Since I'm already there, with no additional oil on hand, I check the level and it's good (I had overfilled it earlier, remember?). So I get the sodas, and drive very swiftly (but in the highest gear possible to reduce RPM without lugging it) back home, turning it off at stoplights, etc.

I get home, and you can clearly see the trail I've left. So, I run in quickly to get the oil drip pan and throw it under there. After that, I grab the sodas, and start to head inside.

The bag breaks, both 2-liters fall, and BOTH of them explode. Not out of the cap, but down the sides of the bottle.

I still have a can of pineapple juice, so I go inside and throw a couple of ice cubes in a glass. Then I pour in some 151 (because rum and pineapple juice is terrible, I'd guess), and the pineapple juice.

The ice cracks from the warm juice, and shatters the glass.

:suicide:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
26 hours on the bike this week - 661kms in just 6 days. Was going for 700, back decided it wanted no more today. Hopefully I'll make 700 in a week tomorrow.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Locked my keys in my truck; spare key is 700 km away

gently caress today

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

TDIClub and nearly every VW Forum have gone this way.
TDIClub used to be so good too :saddowns: E30Tech used to be good then died, R3v is meh at best but there's good info if you're willing to dig.

ExplodingSims posted:

Friend has one and loves it, I love the food he makes on it. If you're not smoking things or plan on super slow cooking I don't think it would be worth it for general grilling. If you're just doing grilling occasionally a basic Weber seem to be the way to go.

Phone posted:

Nexus 5 + a 10Hz GPS + RaceChrono
:hfive: excellent

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

26 hours on the bike this week - 661kms in just 6 days. Was going for 700, back decided it wanted no more today. Hopefully I'll make 700 in a week tomorrow.
You're a mad man, that's impressive

Am I an idiot for thinking it would be fun to build up an engine instead of going with a stock one for a track car? Kind of have my heart set on a high revving I4 (build up) but a stock I6 would be safer, easier and more powerful. The ~100lb saved by the I4 is nice but in the end will only be a 5% difference in weight...will improve the handling though. Price SHOULD end up being pretty similar. I've never built an engine so that could be fun.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

gimpsuitjones posted:

Locked my keys in my truck; spare key is 700 km away

gently caress today

Got quarter vents? Got two bits of wire? One bit goes in below the lock lever and pulls the button in, other piece goes in from the front of the glass and pulls the arm over.

Theres a reason toyota stopped fitting the things to their 4wd's!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

Am I an idiot for thinking it would be fun to build up an engine instead of going with a stock one for a track car? Kind of have my heart set on a high revving I4 (build up) but a stock I6 would be safer, easier and more powerful. The ~100lb saved by the I4 is nice but in the end will only be a 5% difference in weight...will improve the handling though. Price SHOULD end up being pretty similar. I've never built an engine so that could be fun.
You can always start with stock and build one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Please take care of your back if you are a cyclist. My dad ignored back pain for years as a cyclist and then, when it was finally too much, a surgeon had to fuse his lower spine from the fact that his dumbass allowed discs in his spine to be irrevocably ground to nothing. He deeply regrets this, though it hasn't stopped him from riding still.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wrar posted:

You can always start with stock and build one.
Hmm suppose that is an option

Holy poo poo end of this 24 hour Nurburgring race is amazing...about 1.25 laps left, 1st and 2nd place within a couple seconds of each other.

edit: final lap 0.7 seconds separating

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

WTF. Did they fish that out of a lake?

Worse, driven on Swedish roads all year round for 30 years. Road salt Machete KILLS.

CommieGIR posted:

Illinois is scrub tier when it comes to rust.

some texas redneck posted:

There's rust, there's even treatable cancer.....

And then there's that. I don't think Sockington could do much with that - Kev might be able to, but it would take years. What is was it anyway?

Subaru 1800 Pickup, known as BRAT in the US.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

You can also feed it OBD2/CANBUS data if you have it. There's an issue where you can't charge your device + be in host mode if you plug something into the USB port, but if your battery isn't awful, it should work. It's a really dumb problem because it turns out that your phone is trying to power your Megasquirt over USB if you're trying to receive data from the MS.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

OKAY THIS HAS BEEN A COMEDY OF GODDAMNED ERRORS

Thinking I had done well today with the oil pump replacement on the bus, I decided to take it out to the local gas station to pick up some mixers for the rum I have.

I get to the Circle K, and notice that I'm leaving a trail, and there is a gigantic puddle of oil underneath the bus. A quick peek underneath makes it look like it's from the new oil pump area, but that area is blocked by the engine mount bar and other things.

Since I'm already there, with no additional oil on hand, I check the level and it's good (I had overfilled it earlier, remember?). So I get the sodas, and drive very swiftly (but in the highest gear possible to reduce RPM without lugging it) back home, turning it off at stoplights, etc.

I get home, and you can clearly see the trail I've left. So, I run in quickly to get the oil drip pan and throw it under there. After that, I grab the sodas, and start to head inside.

The bag breaks, both 2-liters fall, and BOTH of them explode. Not out of the cap, but down the sides of the bottle.

I still have a can of pineapple juice, so I go inside and throw a couple of ice cubes in a glass. Then I pour in some 151 (because rum and pineapple juice is terrible, I'd guess), and the pineapple juice.

The ice cracks from the warm juice, and shatters the glass.

:suicide:

That's amazing. I love those days.

Also 151 and pineapple juice is delicious. Add Malibu to make a caribou lou.

BGE is nice but overkill unless you just like spending money. For the price, you could buy a Weber, a propane smoker, and a charcoal smoker and have enough left over to cook meat for most of a year on all three just to figure out which you like more.

I still want one eventually, but I can build my own smoker for less money, so it still doesn't seem quite worth it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Or be like me and get a Traeger pellet grill/smoker and use the automatic transmission slushbox of the smoking world.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't know, a used BGE seems worth it for smoking just for the temp efficiency alone, keeping temps consistent on a weber is a pain in the dick for smoking. Still thinking about a BBQ Guru for my webers to control temps, but I'm wondering if a BGE will do it better while using half the charcoal as well.

If I ever find a BGE or similar ceramic grill for a reasonable price on CL I'm gonna grab one just to see what the fuss is all about. Then if I don't like it I'll just re sell it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The price is still very tempting. Curious how bidding'll be in the last couple hours of the auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112002501475

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Rookie just won the 500. Owns.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

Got quarter vents? Got two bits of wire? One bit goes in below the lock lever and pulls the button in, other piece goes in from the front of the glass and pulls the arm over.

Theres a reason toyota stopped fitting the things to their 4wd's!

Sadly no, but fortunately I have AA membership which is useless 99.9% of the time, except for the one time every 28 years you lock your keys in your car

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My parents opened their pool today and two squirrels have already commited suicide by drowning this afternoon.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Also going back to BGE and smoker chat, my cheap propane has been holding at 225-228 for 6 hours now, with no input from me outside the first thirty minutes.

poo poo really isn't hard, you just have to be smart about it.

Also, we're like the only people in this neighborhood that ever cook outside. The only time you ever smell cooking is on holidays.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fyodor posted:

Please take care of your back if you are a cyclist. My dad ignored back pain for years as a cyclist and then, when it was finally too much, a surgeon had to fuse his lower spine from the fact that his dumbass allowed discs in his spine to be irrevocably ground to nothing. He deeply regrets this, though it hasn't stopped him from riding still.

That's most likely from bad fitment or weak core - you shouldnt have back pain from cycling - even with the fairly aggressive reach I use on the road bike. That said, I *really* need to get a new mattress, that is genuinely causing my back to be stiffer than a honeymooner's dick first thing in the morning.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's most likely from bad fitment or weak core - you shouldnt have back pain from cycling - even with the fairly aggressive reach I use on the road bike. That said, I *really* need to get a new mattress, that is genuinely causing my back to be stiffer than a honeymooner's dick first thing in the morning.

Soft, droopy, and disappointing?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He injured his back initially in an accident and it was compounded over time. That said, he just ordered a Cannondale Synapse Carbon so the back doesn't stop him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I remember when MTB riders commonly nicknamed roadies "stiffbacks"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Red Bull forgot Ricciardo's tyres! What the christ?

• Locked thread