Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i played the demo of 15 and hated it a lot so i'll wait for my gf to play it and mercilessly give her poo poo. X-2 is amazing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think the time mechanic in Lightning Returns is ultimately bad because it instantly turns off a majority of people and it ultimately isn't that impactful when you do go into it. It should've just been a normal cycle without a day limit, especially because it made those playing it really tedious for the last few days.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Yeah but what can you say about the deluge of people who were like "GRAN PULSE IS AMAZING THIS SHOULD'VE BEEN THE WHOLE GAME"

Gran Pulse sucked but XIII-2 does a good job of taking care of those "wander aimlessly around and do poo poo" needs.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i like the area of gran pulse that plays, like, elevator muzak

that's about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

i played the demo of 15 and hated it a lot so i'll wait for my gf to play it and mercilessly give her poo poo. X-2 is amazing though.
giving people you love poo poo about things they like and enjoy seems like a lame thing to do

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Endorph posted:

giving people you love poo poo about things they like and enjoy seems like a lame thing to do

dont worry she does it to me when i die to retarded poo poo in dark souls all the time, we aren't openly spiteful people who hate each other yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you post on something awful tho???

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I think the time mechanic in Lightning Returns is ultimately bad because it instantly turns off a majority of people and it ultimately isn't that impactful when you do go into it. It should've just been a normal cycle without a day limit, especially because it made those playing it really tedious for the last few days.

Agreed, it shouldn't have had a day limit but narratively it'd be weird? Not that it stops the other games from letting you put off saving the world but I guess they really wanted it to be like VP1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Million Ghosts posted:

You sound like great fun to be around

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i am the embodiment of good spirits and joy thank you

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Finding a poor, confused soul who likes Blitzball isn't that uncommon. At least, it didn't used to be.

My cousin put over 1000 hours into blitZball in the original ps2 version

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Amppelix posted:

Is FFX one of those games where I'm expected to follow a guide if I want to see all the cool little sidequests and find all the optional things?
You don't want to do this, trust me.

10's sidequests are infamously bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my wife makes fun of me when i die in dark souls, i'm going to mercilessly give her crap for liking a video game i don't

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

You don't want to do this, trust me.

10's sidequests are infamously bad.

yeah they're terrible and boring. not worth it unless you want the epeen of saying you got the ultimate weapons (and grinded for loving ever) to kill the dark aeons.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Million Ghosts posted:

FFX has a pretty drat small number of sidequests but some are pretty stupid so it's your call. i didn't use a guide and got most things.

now FFX-2 on the other hand absolutely requires a guide and is very easy to gently caress up even with good directions.

X-2 actually has a ton of side plot outcomes no one sees because they're playing optimally with a guide. Just play the game and do your thing imo

playing with a guide is cool too if that's what you want to do though!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tonfa posted:

X-2 actually has a ton of side plot outcomes no one sees because they're playing optimally with a guide. Just play the game and do your thing imo

Using a guide to make sure you don't miss dresspheres sounds like a good balance.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gran Pulse sucked because it was basically FFXII's side content with a better combat system.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

END ME SCOOB posted:

It ran at least through the character creation and farting around with options, at which point I went "I'm not rewatching this whole drat cutscene again a second time in a day". So there!

awesome, thanks

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tonfa posted:

just play X-2 no matter what it owns

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

My review of wild arms 3:

Accidentally dashed off a millennium puzzle / 10

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

WrightOfWay posted:

Gran Pulse sucked because it was basically FFXII's side content with a better combat system.
Better than what you create? I didn't think that the monsters in FFXII were bullshit impossible like in Pulse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Scalding Coffee posted:

Better than what you create? I didn't think that the monsters in FFXII were bullshit impossible like in Pulse.

A) Creating AI scripts isn't a combat system, it's a minigame to help minimize or outright eliminate the amount of time you have to actually put your hands on and use FF12's awful combat. It's the FF MMO's without Global Cooldown abilities or engaging ability combos so it lacks the one thing that makes MMO combat even remotely enjoyable

B) " bullshit impossible like in Pulse." lmao.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

theres like 3 challenging missions if you don't go to post game. In postgame none of them are challenging or "bullshit impossible" because you have like 35k hp instead of 8k so poo poo like the double raktavija won't one shot you.

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 29, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The gambit mini game isn't even very good because the optimal way to handle every boss is just buff, attack and heal.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Cake Attack posted:

My review of wild arms 3:

Accidentally dashed off a millennium puzzle / 10

The biggest problem with WA3's millennium puzzles is that the music isn't as good as the WA ACF version

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
gambits are a solid system, but FFXII doesn't exactly make good use of it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the topic of "it plays itself" XIII will always beat out XII because once you get an enemy staggered, it's just Auto-battle time. Don't waste time looking at the attack, don't waste time looking at the healing spell, just mash X. The most strategy is in using debuffs or reapplying buffs that were taken away. Or fighting Tyrant/Immortals/whatever and figuring out how to kill them in the quickest amount of time. My strategy was Deprotect/Imperil/Poison then have Vanille and Hope heal constantly while Snow attacked. Well, Immortal or whateer was immune to Poison I'm pretty sure so I had to swap in Death instead but it was the only way I could figure out how to deal with that loving sword's crazy damage.

And then in FFXII, you hae actual enemy variety so you need Gambits set up in case you run into a flying enemy. Everyone just having Enemy-Nearest visible/Attack won't do you anything except make you whiff forever. Making strategic use of Gambits, like accounting for low HP or certain status effects, is pretty interesting. In FFXIII, you are bound to the mercy of a lovely AI. In XII, you control eerythhng the AI does. It's pretty awesome.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 29, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the ffxiii plays itself meme

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of "it plays itself" XIII will always beat out XII because once you get an enemy staggered, it's just Auto-battle time.

This is a great way to waste time and make every fight last 2-5 mins longer than it needs too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of "it plays itself" XIII will always beat out XII because once you get an enemy staggered, it's just Auto-battle time. Don't waste time looking at the attack, don't waste time looking at the healing spell, just mash X. The most strategy is in using debuffs or reapplying buffs that were taken away. Or fighting Tyrant/Immortals/whatever and figuring out how to kill them in the quickest amount of time. My strategy was Deprotect/Imperil/Poison then have Vanille and Hope heal constantly while Snow attacked. Well, Immortal or whateer was immune to Poison I'm pretty sure so I had to swap in Death instead but it was the only way I could figure out how to deal with that loving sword's crazy damage.

And then in FFXII, you hae actual enemy variety so you need Gambits set up in case you run into a flying enemy. Everyone just having Enemy-Nearest visible/Attack won't do you anything except make you whiff forever. Making strategic use of Gambits, like accounting for low HP or certain status effects, is pretty interesting. In FFXIII, you are bound to the mercy of a lovely AI. In XII, you control eerythhng the AI does. It's pretty awesome.

You're being pretty biased and straight-up inaccurate here.

You don't 'need' special gambits for flying enemies. I never had one and they never were particularly hard to defeat. You might set up a special gambit to beat them slightly faster but that's entirely unnecessary and you're devaluing the exact same thing in FFXIII.

Like what you wrote is the equivalent of going "Final Fantasy 7 sucks! All you do is equip a strong materia and attack an enemy. Meanwhile FF8 is super-awesome because you can equip a ton of different abilities and there's so much variety that you can customize to match your enemy!"

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I want to play WA3 on my PS4 but the crashes really scare me off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is a great way to waste time and make every fight last 2-5 mins longer than it needs too.

I still got 4-5 stars on bosses and 5 stars on random encounters so I guess the game thought I did just fine.

ImpAtom posted:

You're being pretty biased and straight-up inaccurate here.

You don't 'need' special gambits for flying enemies. I never had one and they never were particularly hard to defeat. You might set up a special gambit to beat them slightly faster but that's entirely unnecessary and you're devaluing the exact same thing in FFXIII.

They're not even vaguely comparable. XII gives you the option of:
A. Set up Gambits to use specific attacks on specific enemies
or
B. Wasting time switching between party members manually putting in attacks for all of them.

FFXIII gives you the option of
A. Control one character and input their attacks while your other two party members do whatever they want.

So how are these things the same?

quote:

Like what you wrote is the equivalent of going "Final Fantasy 7 sucks! All you do is equip a strong materia and attack an enemy. Meanwhile FF8 is super-awesome because you can equip a ton of different abilities and there's so much variety that you can customize to match your enemy!"

...well, that's true. FFVIII's Junction System is infinitely more varied than VII's materia system. It's just FFVIII is a broken as poo poo game so you never have to delve into any of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Gameplay in FF13 revolved around switching paradigms constantly to match the situation. That's essentially your "do something" button. For example, when you need to heal, you switch to Medic x 3 for 2 seconds to top yourself off nearly instantly, and then switch back to debuffing or combo-building or damage depending on the circumstances. Since every role gives synergy bonuses to the other party members. If you're sticking to a single paradigm for any significant length of time, you're probably doing something wrong.

I'm not saying FF13 was a particularly great game, but a large number of people seemed to totally miss how to play it and therefore got irrationally annoyed at the auto-command function, which was basically meaningless since that was never how you were supposed to exert control over your characters anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't waste time looking at the attack, don't waste time looking at the healing spell, just mash X. The most strategy is in using debuffs or reapplying buffs that were taken away.
that's more strategy than 90% of FF games ever made

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Clarste posted:

Gameplay in FF13 revolved around switching paradigms constantly to match the situation. That's essentially your "do something" button. For example, when you need to heal, you switch to Medic x 3 for 2 seconds to top yourself off nearly instantly, and then switch back to debuffing or combo-building or damage depending on the circumstances. Since every role gives synergy bonuses to the other party members. If you're sticking to a single paradigm for any significant length of time, you're probably doing something wrong.

I'm not saying FF13 was a particularly great game, but a large number of people seemed to totally miss how to play it and therefore got irrationally annoyed at the auto-command function, which was basically meaningless since that was never how you were supposed to exert control over your characters anyway.

Yeah there really isn't any point in FF13 where you need to just sit there. It played very fast-paced for me because I started the game knowing about paradigm switching

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Clarste posted:

I agree with your first point, FFXIII is all about twitch gaming. My fingers hurt from playing it so much last time. However I don't consider "wait, wait, wait then switch to paradigm A, wait some more, then switch to Paradigm B, continue until victory" to be particularly enthralling gameplay since, ya know, 2/3 of your party are doing whatever they please, even if it's the wrong thing. God help anyone who wants to play Snow or Lightning or something before they unlocks SAB for themselves because the AI SAB is the worst.

As for your second point though, since FFXIII actually grades you, how can getting 5 stars be doing it wrong?

Endorph posted:

that's more strategy than 90% of FF games ever made

I honestly wouldn't know, it's been years since I played vanilla FFVII, VIII, IX or X. I guess FFIIIDS didn't require too much strategy later on. Then again, by endgame, most JRPGs play the game. Just stick to your same three supermoves or whatever. FFXIII isn't really any different in that regard. Well, no, that isn't fair. XIII had the Proudcloud and that one enemy that demands you use a Sentinel at drat near all times. Those were kinda different.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NikkolasKing posted:

I agree with your first point, FFXIII is all about twitch gaming. My fingers hurt from playing it so much last time. However I don't consider "wait, wait, wait then switch to paradigm A, wait some more, then switch to Paradigm B, continue until victory" to be particularly enthralling gameplay since, ya know, 2/3 of your party are doing whatever they please, even if it's the wrong thing. God help anyone who wants to play Snow or Lightning or something before they unlocks SAB for themselves because the AI SAB is the worst.

I did say that I wasn't saying FF13 was a particularly good game, didn't I? It's not strange to me that people wouldn't like it. Although personally I think the paradigms nicely abstracted the fact that normally you're just choosing the best attack and spamming it until you need a heal or buff or whatever. Instead of having to enter those obvious "choices" over and over again for an already solved problem, you just switch up what you want the party to be doing generally. It's choosing not to waste your time on totally meaningless non-decisions. Heck, I think it probably would have worked even better if they didn't even give the player the ability to select specific commands at all (with some other accompanying tweaks to what the commands actually are). Even if I prefer turn-based games better overall.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think a lot of people who complain about FF13 "playing itself" are also the sort of people who think that casting fire magic on ice monsters is a brilliant strategic decision, so they're a little upset when that gets automated by a simple algorithm.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

I think a lot of people who complain about FF13 "playing itself" are also the sort of people who think that casting fire magic on ice monsters is a brilliant strategic decision, so they're a little upset when that gets automated by a simple algorithm.

Nah, my main complaint with 13 is that I felt largely obsoleted. The pace of the game is so high that controlling anything more than paradigm shifts is straight-up against your favor because you simply cannot navigate menus and input commands as fast as a computer can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, my main complaint with 13 is that I felt largely obsoleted. The pace of the game is so high that controlling anything more than paradigm shifts is straight-up against your favor because you simply cannot navigate menus and input commands as fast as a computer can.

Exactly what I was trying to say. I'm honestly a little relieved to hear someone who can actually see say this. The game is about speed, not skill.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 29, 2016