Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Zohar posted:

more like Tibet confirmed for being removed in release patch for HoI4

And I can say with confidence that the Communists will win the Chinese Civil War now. Probably even taking Taiwan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

And I can say with confidence that the Communists will win the Chinese Civil War now. Probably even taking Taiwan!

Taiwan is a Chinese province with high dissent. Same with Hong Kong.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cantorsdust posted:

Please dispense with the propaganda, there has never been or ever will be a Chinese Civil War.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
New event chain where you can expose Chang kai shek as a war criminal who tricked the brave Chinese people

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

the full eu4 experience, feat. National Monuments II: "new graphical national monuments for the already stunning Europa Universalis IV map", and Colonial British and French Unit pack: "16 new unique unit models for British and French colonial troops". your game just won't be complete without them!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah, and if you want to play WoW for a year, it is a solid $180

Some people are fine with paying that. If you are not, then don't

Jazerus posted:

Never heard of this newfangled Steam sale nonsense, well, guess I'll pay 300 euros

Odobenidae posted:

Preach. lovely devs like PARA-DO$H!!!(Paradox) are why I can't enjoy games anymore . Same poo poo with Valve, if I wanted the full PC TF2 experience I'd have to be a millionaire just so I can get every single hat and DLC item. gently caress that, I'll stick with The Orange Box for the 360.

So to put it in other words, paradox's standard pricing of their product is clearly over valued and they're not worth 75% of their actual value, the majority of their DLCs are not only not worthy of their value but are effectively worthless and that this business model should be extended because two other terrible games follow it? Are you defending Paradox or supporting my criticism?

Paradox releases good games. I want their standard to be top knotch, not TF and WoW levels. I want Stellaris and HoI to be games that give me the (shameful) 500 gameplay hours i have in EU4. I just don't want to pay for a HoI who has half of it's systems just baked in for clear DLC expansions that come out 30 euros a pop, waiting like a vulture on the sidelines until they hit the sweet spot of enough patches and DLC to make it a good game before the DLC train makes the game bloated like a dead dog in the sun.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'd like to think the paradox devs might have learnt something from CK2 and EU4 about what they should and shouldn't add.

On the other-hand the dlc made them a shitload of money so probably not.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Please stop buying our DLCs so we can stop making them. Please :cry:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

corn in the bible posted:

New event chain where you can expose Chang kai shek as a war criminal who tricked the brave Chinese people

As part of its attempted rapprochement with Taiwan, CCP propaganda over the last few years has actually started to, if not rehabilitate Chiang, then at least reposition him as a misguided patriot who was important in the war against Japan (see the execrable Mao biopic The Founding of the Republic).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Darkrenown posted:

But the level of betrayal Paradox felt when we purchased their new DLC tore something from them that they'll never be able to recover. We tore away their ability to respect anything, and we tore away their ability to feel human.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mans posted:

So to put it in other words, paradox's standard pricing of their product is clearly over valued and they're not worth 75% of their actual value, the majority of their DLCs are not only not worthy of their value but are effectively worthless and that this business model should be extended because two other terrible games follow it?

It's tiered pricing. People who have a lot of money can buy everything at full price; it's not 'overvalued' for them, because money has relatively little value for them. People with less money can buy the base game and maybe a few key expansions on sale; in exchange, they get a game that continues to be updated and patched, thanks to the people who are buying more stuff than them. And there's a spectrum in between, of course.

I think that probably Paradox should move to EU5, because of the aforementioned problems with being unable to consolidate & prune mechanics instead of piling more Expansion Features on. However, I don't think that the problem is "Paradox is charging too much for their DLCs".

...also, I haven't played it in a few years, but calling TF2 'terrible' seems unfair.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PleasingFungus posted:

...also, I haven't played it in a few years, but calling TF2 'terrible' seems unfair.

Pretty sure Poe's Law is in effect considering that he's moaning about how you need to buy every single hat and weapon to enjoy TF2.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
might as well eat food on the floor like a dog if you can't own 100% of your game

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Mans posted:

might as well eat food on the floor like a dog if you can't own 100% of your game

Why not both?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Mans! Now that we've got an agent on the inside, there's no point arguing with these penny-wise fools. Let's brainwash Darkrenown so that he will join our cause and he will bring back Ethical Downloadable Content to Video Games.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Mans! Now that we've got an agent on the inside, there's no point arguing with these penny-wise fools. Let's brainwash Darkrenown so that he will join our cause and he will bring back Ethical Downloadable Content to Video Games.

Gamersgate: It's about ethics in DLC.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
If you are bitter about putting money into a paradox game that keeps on getting updates you can always run the base game and mooch off one of your not salty / cheep friends in multiplayer.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I'm interested in this idea of the "full experience". Would you say you weren't getting the full experience if you did not also own Warcraft III: Frozen Throne? Even if you had never finished the campaign in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 29, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is not a bad DLC model but paradox must learn when and where to stop

just my 2 cents

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
We'll stop when people stop buyin :10bux: :smuggo:

No seriously, that is simply put it. We keep making expansions because people keep wanting more expansions. Some people on the internet screaming that it is unethical isn't gonna make us stop really.

Pretend it's consensus democracy, enough people want more to be made so more things gets made as long as ROI is high enough. The people who don't want more can choose to ignore more content being produced or complain on an internet forum that more content is being made.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Boo loving hoo we get more features and patches

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Groogy posted:

No seriously, that is simply put it. We keep making expansions because people keep wanting more expansions. Some people on the internet screaming that it is unethical isn't gonna make us stop really.

Pretend it's consensus democracy, enough people want more to be made so more things gets made as long as ROI is high enough. The people who don't want more can choose to ignore more content being produced or complain on an internet forum that more content is being made.

DLC to let Russia build tanks

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont think is unethical or anything, I just think that, beyond a certain point, to keep developing above then might start hurting the games instead of improving then

I think CK2 was probably as good as it could ever be after Horse Lords. Some Concalve features are nice, but I do think they came too late and, being optional, cant fully integrate into the rest of the game as they could. And everything else that came with it (DLC locked or free) were kinda bad (coalitions, shattered retreat) or unnecessary (the new education system that replaces the old, which wanst so great, with something that is not so great either, but gives the player less control)

And of course we can always stop buying the DLC. But then many changes come in patches released together with the DLC (like the worst new features in CK2 recent history). Of course you can stop updating, but then you wont have the bug fixes and perfomance improvments and whatnot, and the mods you play will update to the lastest version etc etc. So is not that simple

But that's just my opinion, of course. If people are still buying it, I see no reason to stop really

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 29, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think is unethical or anything, I just think that, beyond a certain point, to keep developing above then might start hurting the games instead of improving then

I think CK2 was probably as good as it could ever be after Horse Lords. Some Concalve features are nice, but I do think they came too late and, being optional, cant fully integrate into the rest of the game as they could. And everything else that came with if (DLC locked or free) were kinda bad (coalitions, shattered retreat) or unnecessary (the new education system that replaces the old, which wanst so great, with something that is not so great either, but gives the player less control)

But that's just my opinion, of course. If people are still buying it, I see no reason to stop really

It really becomes an issue of when do you stop doing DLC and start working on a sequel. There's issues with both - the more DLC there is the larger the barrier for new players since there's so much extra stuff they have to buy before they really get the "complete" game, and after a certain point you're piling systems on systems that were never really designed to integrate with each other so you end up with a kind of bloated experience even for veterans. On the other hand, developing a sequel means starting over from scratch, and even if you include features from DLC into the base game it's still not going to have as much content as a game with years worth of updates and expansions.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
was eu4 starting over from scratch?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DLC to let Russia build tanks

DLC to have aliens land and force a cessation of hostilities!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Riso posted:

DLC to have aliens land and force a cessation of hostilities!

I didn't know paradox had hired Harry Turtledove

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

I didn't know paradox had hired Harry Turtledove

Sunset Invasion was just the technical study on feasibility.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zeron posted:

Mostly working and fairly smart with a few major bugs that have already been identified and are already on the way to being fixed? Like obviously there is room to complain but...I'd still compare it far more favorably than any CA AI release or final.

:laffo:

How dare he.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Groogy posted:

As long as Crusade results in CK2 are dumb and stupid that was fixed by mods but remains unchanged since release, the DLC model, in spite of being a commercial success, is a moral failure, both on a structural and on a personal level. :colbert:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Groogy posted:

I'm interested in this idea of the "full experience". Would you say you weren't getting the full experience if you did not also own Warcraft III: Frozen Throne? Even if you had never finished the campaign in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos?

Bad example, the custom games are much better in FT so I would definitely be missing the full experience :colbert:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

YF-23 posted:

As long as Crusade results in CK2 are dumb and stupid that was fixed by mods but remains unchanged since release, the DLC model, in spite of being a commercial success, is a moral failure, both on a structural and on a personal level. :colbert:

I don't understand what this post is saying.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guy behind coalitions and AE in CK2: Actually our DLC model is ftw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

As part of its attempted rapprochement with Taiwan, CCP propaganda over the last few years has actually started to, if not rehabilitate Chiang, then at least reposition him as a misguided patriot who was important in the war against Japan (see the execrable Mao biopic The Founding of the Republic).

I mean, his hometown on the mainland is full of gaudy souvenirs. I bought a fan with his face on it! I'm an impulse buyer!

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 29, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

YF-23 posted:

But crusades have changed since release. They've actually improved a lot. CK2+ just does it better.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But crusades have changed since release. They've actually improved a lot. CK2+ just does it better.

I was partially exaggerating for effect, I remember I believe Sons of Abraham changing a couple things up? But I'm pretty sure land allocation at the success of a crusade hasn't ever been changed. In either case it's dumb that a HRE vassal winning the crusade makes Jerusalem a HRE subject, or that Wales winning the crusade makes Wales proper a Jerusalemite exclave.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

YF-23 posted:

I was partially exaggerating for effect, I remember I believe Sons of Abraham changing a couple things up? But I'm pretty sure land allocation at the success of a crusade hasn't ever been changed. In either case it's dumb that a HRE vassal winning the crusade makes Jerusalem a HRE subject, or that Wales winning the crusade makes Wales proper a Jerusalemite exclave.

Nah at release there wasn't the highest individual warscore winner-takes-all thing. It was literally, "anything anyone has occupied at the end of the crusade is now theirs." It was terrible. Pretty sure holy wars were on a county rather than duchy level too.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Going from one bad mechanic to another bad mechanic doesn't fix poo poo.

Hell, at this point Jerusalem should become an independent kingdom with defensive pacts with the rest of the winners. Anything's better than the stupid "France takes over completely and turns the whole Middle East French" that seems to keep happening :argh:.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It's just frustrating that crusades in the videogame titled Crusader Kings 2 were modded to be good years ago, and the base game itself, in spite of being in active development, hasn't anywhere near caught up.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

YF-23 posted:

It's just frustrating that crusades in the videogame titled Crusader Kings 2 were modded to be good years ago, and the base game itself, in spite of being in active development, hasn't anywhere near caught up.

In spite of hiring the guy who made that better crusade land-handing-out system for a mod, even.

(They did implement the mercenary transport companies from CK2+, at least.)

Ready! Set! Blow! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

In spite of hiring the guy who made that better crusade land-handing-out system for a mod, even.

Don't forget the better faction system too. Still can't believe we're still dealing with the vanilla one. :psyduck: