Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

insufficient guns posted:

Normally I don't get anything good on my Facebook, but then I strike gold. His response sounds too dumb to be real, but from what I know of him it definitely is.

He's so close to figuring out just why this poo poo is so offensive but takes a sharp turn to defending the flag that he himself calls a symbol of slavery, oppression and white supremacy. I don't get the love people have for the confederate flag. It should be an embarrassment to the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Intoluene posted:

He's so close to figuring out just why this poo poo is so offensive but takes a sharp turn to defending the flag that he himself calls a symbol of slavery, oppression and white supremacy. I don't get the love people have for the confederate flag. It should be an embarrassment to the south.

The meaning it carries, when not blatantly expressed by overt racists, is "I'm white and poor and angry" in the south and "I'm a redneck who identifies with that" in places that aren't the south. The fact that racism goes hand in hand with both of those is lost on them even though despite the fact that nearly 100% of the time both sides are insanely racist. These people don't know history, and even if they did they wouldn't really care. That one dude says the flag is "over 100 years old" which is technically true, but I bet he wouldn't be able to even come close to guessing when the civil war actually occurred. Or why it occurred.

This is reminding me of the weirdest moment in my life though where one of my best friends {a black dude named Malik who grew up, like me, in Lancaster PA) met my boyfriend at the time (another black dude, from South Carolina) and they both hit it off because they were both wearing confederate flag shirts and talked the whole time about how awful black people and liberals are. Me and the dude from SC are gay. :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Aesop Poprock posted:

The meaning it carries, when not blatantly expressed by overt racists, is "I'm white and poor and angry" in the south and "I'm a redneck who identifies with that" in places that aren't the south. The fact that racism goes hand in hand with both of those is lost on them even though despite the fact that nearly 100% of the time both sides are insanely racist. These people don't know history, and even if they did they wouldn't really care. That one dude says the flag is "over 100 years old" which is technically true, but I bet he wouldn't be able to even come close to guessing when the civil war actually occurred. Or why it occurred.

This is reminding me of the weirdest moment in my life though where one of my best friends {a black dude named Malik who grew up, like me, in Lancaster PA) met my boyfriend at the time (another black dude, from South Carolina) and they both hit it off because they were both wearing confederate flag shirts and talked the whole time about how awful black people and liberals are. Me and the dude from SC are gay. :psyduck:

Two black guys wearing Confederate flag shirts complained about how awful black people are?

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Filox posted:

That's what bugs me about idiots wanting laws to "prohibit the desecration of the flag." They're pretty much admitting that they worship it as a sacred object just by using the word "desecration". So, in a way, they want an amendment to the Constitution that would make the Constitution contradict itself (remember that whole pesky freedom of religion bit?) by declaring the flag a consecrated icon and make flag veneration state mandated. But I guess it's okay because Jesus probably came down and told Betsy Ross how to do it right?

I've always wondered how low you have to go before the flag worshippers stop worrying about the desecration. Obviously mass produced nylon flags made in China are "sacred". How about cheap pre-pinted cloth flags stapled onto a wooden dowel rod and sold at Walmart for $4.99? How about those cheap little gimcracks that are a piece of literal plastic with the flag printed on it and stapled to a stick so you can wave it at parades? If I draw the flag on a piece of paper and then burn that piece of paper, have I desecrated a flag? How crappy does my drawing have to be before it's not a flag anymore and it won't count as desecration to wipe my rear end on it? These are the questions I want to ask the flag cult people, but never have because they're kind of scary and they often have guns.

Gobbless'murica.
What did you just say about THE FLAG?!!!

How dare you. You're probably a commie terrorist.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Two black guys wearing Confederate flag shirts complained about how awful black people are?

This was like 6 years ago and obviously neither of them were overly self aware. But yeah

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

This was like 6 years ago and obviously neither of them were overly self aware. But yeah

:psyboom:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

And as we all know every individual flag is painstakingly and professionally crafted by the hands of patriotic hard-working Americans and not actually mass machine manufactured in China.

This always annoyed me because I've never had a flag made in China. Most full sized flags are made here, it's the little plastic ones on wooden dowels that are made overseas.

They're still mass manufactured by robots, but it's American robots.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I imagine it's the racial equivalent of the whole "I'm not like other girls" bit most women experience at some point in their lives. When the media tends to focus on a very specific conception of what People Like You can be, it's hard not to internalize that the same way literally everyone else does.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Plom Bar posted:

I imagine it's the racial equivalent of the whole "I'm not like other girls" bit most women experience at some point in their lives. When the media tends to focus on a very specific conception of what People Like You can be, it's hard not to internalize that the same way literally everyone else does.

It's similar to the "I hate other girls, I just want to be one of the guys" mentality. It doesn't necessarily mean that, it's just people being people and trying to escape or recover from a lovely friendship or similar at the time. The difference is you don't see women in their 40s+ saying they hate other women generally. I mean I'm sure it exists but not to the same extent

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Has anyone ever done a prank social experiment where they get a one sided US flag, and lay it on the ground upside down in a public place.

Then they could mercilessly assault anyone they chose with the full support of true patriots

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

I served and went to Iraq so it's nice to know I can stand on the flag all I want with impunity.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Krispy Kareem posted:

This always annoyed me because I've never had a flag made in China. Most full sized flags are made here, it's the little plastic ones on wooden dowels that are made overseas.

They're still mass manufactured by robots, but it's American robots.

My mistake! I misinterpreted the 94% figure in this article. Looks like import flags account for only 10% or so of the total market.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ratjaculation posted:

Has anyone ever done a prank social experiment where they get a one sided US flag, and lay it on the ground upside down in a public place.

Then they could mercilessly assault anyone they chose with the full support of true patriots

I always wonder what people who go on and on about ARE FLAG think about like, American flag bikinis. Surely getting Ol'Glory all bunched up in your taint is just as offensive as letting it touch the ground?

Anyway, AVClub comments may be cheating, but this made me roll my eyes a little. A short article about Nick Cave releasing a new album/concert film originally had the headline "Move over, Beyonce: Nick Cave is doing a Lemonade for creepy white dudes". Kinda dumb, but whatever, cool news. Cue this sort of thing:

They changed the headline, but those are some bristly (and probably creepy) white dudes.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

The difference is you don't see women in their 40s+ saying they hate other women generally. I mean I'm sure it exists but not to the same extent

Hahaha oh yes you do

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nick Cave looks like he sells crack to the Antichrist and a lot of his songs are pretty creepy and bizarre which is why he's great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

My mistake! I misinterpreted the 94% figure in this article. Looks like import flags account for only 10% or so of the total market.

It's Chinese stick flags all the way down.

9 out of 10 flags are Chinese-made, but they account for less than 2% of total flag revenue, which means any flag that costs more than a dollar is probably made domestically.

I wonder if Facebook patriots cry when people disrespect stick flags. Like where's the cutoff?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Hahaha oh yes you do

And it's just the worst, too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

The meaning it carries when not expressed by blatant racists is "I am culturally Southron" (cue the jokes, which further reinforce their commitment to flying it). You might as well wonder why Texas doesn't get rid of its slaver's rebellion flag.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Don't judge me Mexican word of the Day

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

SpliffClavin posted:

Geesh, she really needs to simplify her necromancy ritual.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Can't believe they're about to gently caress on that vet's grave when that guy gets back

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SpliffClavin posted:

Lollin at this dumb bitch with her stupid baby and dead-rear end husband

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpliffClavin posted:

I can understand the dakimakura, but why in god's name would you want yourself on it too?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Lollin at this dumb bitch with her stupid baby and dead-rear end husband

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

e: fair criticism, dropping it

paradoxGentleman has a new favorite as of 18:13 on May 29, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Are the people who post this ARE TROOPS :bahgawd: garbage ever actually veterans, or just obnoxious soldier-worshiping creeps who never served and don't actually know what soldiers go through?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just laughing my butt off at human grief

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Are the people who post this ARE TROOPS :bahgawd: garbage ever actually veterans, or just obnoxious soldier-worshiping creeps who never served and don't actually know what soldiers go through?

At least some are vets. Every one i know does it, even those with a liberal bent.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

FreudianSlippers posted:

New York Values:
-Murder
-Tuberculosis
-Saxophones
Not to mention freezing to death, art and jazz.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

How dare people grieve in a way that does not resonate, personally, with me, a person who does not know any of these people (and in at least one case never will :v:)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

how autistic do you have to be to realize that maybe people in the military or someone who perhaps lost a loved one in the military find it to be a very personal and tragic thing

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
I just don't need to see a picture of it shaming me into not grilling out posted by a Mexican meme page.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

SpliffClavin posted:

I just don't need to see a picture of it shaming me into not grilling out posted by a Mexican meme page.

Naw but that's just it

If grillin' is how you grieve then grill away my friend. Plug in that George fuckin' Foreman and Knock Out The Fat, just like you Knock Out The Bad...feelings associated with loss of a loved one.

Basically it's a bad macro for exploiting that widow's grief, but goons are bad for being like "I DISAPPROVE OF HER PROCESS"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

People are not complaining about the meme page being manipulative but the content itself. It'd be like when someone posts a STDH with that photo of a child crying and playing the violin and instead of focusing on the STDH people instead commented "lmao at this loser baby"

content:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's similar to the "I hate other girls, I just want to be one of the guys" mentality. It doesn't necessarily mean that, it's just people being people and trying to escape or recover from a lovely friendship or similar at the time. The difference is you don't see women in their 40s+ saying they hate other women generally. I mean I'm sure it exists but not to the same extent

I was one of those "I HATE GIRLS" girls from like 15-25 or so but that was mostly bailing at full speed from an all-girls Catholic school after sophomore year and taking a hard right into "90% of my best friends are guys (and they all want to sleep with me because duh, they're teenagers)" territory. Rebellion against being forced to associate with nothing but girls + being a dumb hormonal Young Person obsessed with sex.

Then I had an actual good relationship and good friendships with some women and calmed the gently caress down and don't bitch about other women anymore because I'm 35 and too old for petty bullshit. Unfortunately I do know quite a few 35+ women who are still in the "other women are catty and petty and stupid" mentality, but they're the minority. It's not that they don't exist, it's that they never grew up and realized that "other women" aren't a hivemind composed of makeup and mall trips.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soldiers fight overseas for our right to a meaninglessly belligerent society rife with assault, YOU gently caress

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

Soldiers fight overseas for our right to a meaninglessly belligerent society rife with assault, YOU gently caress

In five thousand years, archaeologists will look back at this time and think the US was a warrior culture where everyone trained ceaselessly for way, only interrupted to have gay sex or a sex change.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Personally, I think Memorial Day should take a page from the Australians and Anzac Day: All the vets and people who like that thing get up at 4am for sober dawn services, then everyone else rolls in around 10am and gets drunk and gambles all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

mrmcd posted:

Personally, I think Memorial Day should take a page from the Australians and Anzac Day: All the vets and people who like that thing get up at 4am for sober dawn services, then everyone else rolls in around 10am and gets drunk and gambles all day.

:911: Isn't that what REAL AMERICANS do every day anyways? :freep: