Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

So, X-Men Apocalypse had an incredibly bad opening Friday, with 26 million in ticket sales (this counts an 8.2 million Thursday night, so it didn't even break 20 million on Friday in actuality). For comparison, DOFP had a 35 million Friday leading in to a 110 million dollar four-day weekend. Apocalypse might not even break 80 million in its opening weekend at this rate, which'll be disastrous for its domestic totals.

Looks like reviews really did affect ticket sales, since Alice 2 had a very very very weak opening Friday as well (and thus it wasn't like Apocalypse's opening was blunted by Alice 2's).

That'll still be enough to put it at #1 after the weekend, and it's nowhere near as catastrophic as Fantastic Four was, so it'll probably be considered a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Jubilee isn't cut from Apocalypse, by the way. She appears in several scenes and has a few lines.

It does seem they cut the mall scenes though, with the record store and stuff, which I assume was her biggest part. We know they shot those because there were paparazzi photos of them.

Apparently, there was a scene that got cut where she actually used her powers, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think they ever say her name either so if you didn't know who the character was you'd think she was just some random student.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is cyclops decent, at least?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His optic blasts cause burning, so gently caress that.

(He's pretty good.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I thought Oscar Isaac did a fine job, for me the movie was at it's best when it was just focused on the X-Men doing stuff around school and hanging out.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I wish they'd just give each movie a different focus character. Some of my favorite X-men arcs are focused on a single character, like how the whole break world story is mostly about kitty pryde's character arc.

X men first class was a good Xavier-lenscherr story, now mix it up! I'm tired of wolverine.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think they ever say her name either so if you didn't know who the character was you'd think she was just some random student.

So just like her previous appearances in the X-Men movies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jamesman posted:

That'll still be enough to put it at #1 after the weekend, and it's nowhere near as catastrophic as Fantastic Four was, so it'll probably be considered a win.

Well, yes, obviously (unless it suffers from a total collapse today, tomorrow and Monday and Alice 2 grossly overperforms). But we're looking at a film that might not recoup its budget off domestic, which is a failure by any metric. Not anywhere as horrible as the FF reboot, mind, but worrisome enough to give FOX execs serious pause when considering their upcoming movie slate, especially if Apocalypse underperforms in China. Let's just say FOX is extremely, excruciatingly lucky that Deadpool overperformed as much as it did because it looks like it might end up being the main superhero franchise moving forward.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of the X-Men movies have made their budget in North America.

Edit: But Apocalypse is going to miss by more, probably.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 29, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

None of the X-Men movies have made their budget in North America.

Every movie besides First Class has made their budget back off domestic ticket sales, including both Wolverine spinoffs. Most notably, DOFP made 233 million off a 200 million dollar budget, the movie Apocalypse will end up most directly compared to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The listed budget is never realistic, and they're all so close to their listed ones that they wouldn't have made them back domestically.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Every movie besides First Class has made their budget back off domestic ticket sales, including both Wolverine spinoffs. Most notably, DOFP made 233 million off a 200 million dollar budget, the movie Apocalypse will end up most directly compared to.

233M Domestic with a 200M production budget most definitely did not make it's money back. It's not 1-1 ratio because movie theaters keep a great deal of that. Plus marketing costs. So no it was not in the black just off domestic. Not a lot of big budget movies are these days. That's why international means so much.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
My problem with X-Men: Apocalypse was that they made a really good Magneto movie, and then decided to cram Apocalypse into it. And I feel like the version of the movie without Apocalypse could have been a lot more interesting.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I've felt that way about all 3. I just want to see Magneto.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked X-Men Apocalypse, though I can see why others wouldn't. For me, there were a few good scenes that made me forget about the slog and mess that got to them.

Plus they actually did well by Cyclops this film, and I can forgive a lot to get a good live-action Cyclops.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There were some parts of the fights that just felt off to me, namely Beast vs Psylocke. Specifically it felt a bit too artificial compared to everything else, a strong contrast against the Nightcrawler vs Archangel Rematch

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 29, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay I really liked X-Men: Apocalypse. We're now three for three on X-Men films that looked real lovely but ended up being pretty good.

I mean...okay...I can appreciate that it's kind of a mess of a movie that doesn't respect its audience nearly enough and handholds us through its mess of scenes and dialogue and...heh..."plot." But I think overall things got stronger and stronger the longer the film went and was no longer bogged down alternately ponderous and schizophrenic scenes about nothing worth saying.

The whole "Mystique leads the X-Men" thing came across much better and much more intelligently than I was expecting, building naturally off of the previous films' storylines. That was really the thing I worried about most going in and I was glad they managed to make it work. I think this film has more heart than intelligence, but it does still manage to give us an enjoyable, memorable result.

And let me just say that there are scenes in this film that I have waited literal decades in order to see depicted onscreen and what this film did with it exceeded even what I had envisioned in my head.

UNLEASH YOUR POWAAH JEEEEAAN

Oh yeah and I loved that dumb metal X thing that Magneto made when he switched sides. It was so dumb and melodramatic but I loved it a whole lot.

Also Quicksilver. Fuuuck. Look, I'm the first to say that the DOFP Quicksilver scene was a little overblown and overrated but this one is legitimately well worth the hype.

All in all I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this again.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 29, 2016

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Ugh, I haven't seen Civil War in like three weeks and I can still tell most of this is wholly disingenuous.

lol no, the camerawork in CW was atrocious for like half the movie. It's like during half of it it's shot like a documentary, then the other half someone remembered that shaky cam is the worst, then it became bearable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll grant you part of the fight at the beginning is shaky but it improved like, immediately. Plus, the other half of that video is that it's all shot in closeup and I don't remember that at all.

Also "lol no" isn't gonna work, you need examples.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The stairway foght scene which was one of the best of the movie was exactly like that. Real close up shots, frantic editing. Its like your mind can tell you where everyone is posistion wise but it would probably look a lot more impressive if you could actually see everyone

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

I'll grant you part of the fight at the beginning is shaky but it improved like, immediately. Plus, the other half of that video is that it's all shot in closeup and I don't remember that at all.

Also "lol no" isn't gonna work, you need examples.

Fair enough. The stairway fight, the fight in the beginning of the movie with Crossbones, pretty much any fight that occurs up until the airport scene. I remember being very frustrated with the way they filmed those scenes because I wanted to see what was actually going on, not guess and infer. Then you get a clear view of the fights and the action. Same with the final fight of the film with IM, Cap and Buck. Which strikes me as very odd, why have the stupid frantic action in the first half of the movie and then have crystal clear action in the last two fights?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How was Storm in X-Men Apocalypse? Having her included actually made me less enthusiastic about the movie, being as that she was the shittiest part of the original trilogy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

She's barely in it, but she's good in what she's in

Veotax
May 16, 2006

She has a fairly long scene that's pretty good when she first meets Apocalypse, but she barely speaks for the rest of the film once she becomes a Horseman. Pretty much all of the Horsemen stop speaking once they've been recruited, apart from Magneto.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

McCloud posted:

Fair enough. The stairway fight, the fight in the beginning of the movie with Crossbones, pretty much any fight that occurs up until the airport scene. I remember being very frustrated with the way they filmed those scenes because I wanted to see what was actually going on, not guess and infer. Then you get a clear view of the fights and the action. Same with the final fight of the film with IM, Cap and Buck. Which strikes me as very odd, why have the stupid frantic action in the first half of the movie and then have crystal clear action in the last two fights?

I can't find the quote, but I remember them saying they intentionally filmed the first few action sequences that way, and then pulled back the shots at the airport sequence to show that the battles had become larger and on a bigger scale.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

She's barely in it, but she's good in what she's in

Good. Like, I get that a lot of what annoyed me about Storm isn't the character, per se, as it was the "Halle Berry is a big thing right now, so let's make her role bigger and bigger even if it doesn't work and she's actually pretty terrible", but it's still left me kind of wary about anything Storm-related.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Storm was barely in the original trilogy? How small did you want it to be.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Good. Like, I get that a lot of what annoyed me about Storm isn't the character, per se, as it was the "Halle Berry is a big thing right now, so let's make her role bigger and bigger even if it doesn't work and she's actually pretty terrible", but it's still left me kind of wary about anything Storm-related.
Yyyyup. Storm was way too center stage in the original 3 because of who the actor was. Kinda like Mystique now, but at least they're handling it better overall.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Storm was barely in the original trilogy? How small did you want it to be.

Hi, I'm reading comprehension. We haven't met.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Are you being sarcastic here.

Storm was not centerstage at all

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 29, 2016

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I can't find the quote, but I remember them saying they intentionally filmed the first few action sequences that way, and then pulled back the shots at the airport sequence to show that the battles had become larger and on a bigger scale.

And yet the final fight is shot the same way, and that one was the most personal one in the film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CharlestheHammer posted:

You might try rewatching the movies. That will help.

Storm is easily the worst character in X1... mostly due to that atrocious line but Berry's delivery didn't help. She was central to the ensemble, but didn't add too much.

In X2 she has a crucial relationship with Nightcrawler (she gives him the faith /confidence to take a blind leap teleport into Cerebro).

In interviews following X2, Berry said she would need storm to have "a significant presence comparable to the comic book version" so she becomes the leader after Cyke gets phoenixed and has some heart to heart with Wolverine about Jean's fate.

Storm should have had Cyc's role. Increasingly irrelevant or basically a cameo character.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is what she was tho. Like am I remembering them differently?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Are you being sarcastic here.

Storm SHOULD have been a much bigger deal than she was, as she is the Best X-Man, but they should have gotten a better actress in the process.

X3 is the only one where it feels like she's getting up in the camera more often, and that's because after Cyclops dies Storm is the obvious new leader of the team.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Travis343 posted:

Storm SHOULD have been a much bigger deal than she was, as she is the Best X-Man, but they should have gotten a better actress in the process.
Yeah. They should have told Berry to peace out after her X2 comments and recasted.

But it was early in the Comic Book Film era, and the studio probably felt that they needed the complete ensemble as it was to maintain the fanlove.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

X3 is the only one where it feels like she's getting up in the camera more often, and that's because after Cyclops dies Storm is the obvious new leader of the team.

You're forgetting about her being critical to defeating Jason in X2 for some dumb reason. It's weirdly engineered to give her a reason to be important. It's bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That isn't making her centerstage, it's giving her something to do, which the original trilogy struggled with.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't making her centerstage, it's giving her something to do, which the original trilogy struggled with.

Just have her be Ant-man in Civil War. She's there for fight scenes, that's good enough.

She needed to be Critical To The Plot, which is dumb.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I mean she took out Toad in the first movie, is that "important to the plot" too or just being there for the fights? It was important to the plot that somebody take Toad out, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

I mean she took out Toad in the first movie, is that "important to the plot" too or just being there for the fights? It was important to the plot that somebody take Toad out, after all.

No, that's stupid. She was used reasonably in the first movie, because it was ensemble VS ensemble.

But having her take out the telepath by making it very cold was dumb and it's really clearly shoehorned and it's because she's Halle Berry.

• Locked thread