Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008

Brian Fellows posted:

What's the recommended way to get better at this game? I'd like to play with pubbies until I get good enough to not embarrass myself with people I know.

I bought the game pretty blindly, and the wide range of what each character can do is overwhelming. Playing vs. AI isn't even remotely helpful because of how dumb they are vs. actual people, but I feel like I'm screwing my team up by sitting there and holding down F1 to remind myself what the hell each button is going to do every time I play a match.

Should I just focus on getting good at one hero of each of the four character types and then start playing around with other characters once I'm decent? So far the only on-the-go changes I've caught onto are 1) When someone's murdering everyone with Bastion, just switch to the sniper if no one else is and kill him with her and 2) if someone's running around as McRee, pretty much always know where that guy is because he'll murder your balls off if you come anywhere near him.

Just focus on having fun big guy. Also play with people you know so you can talk about tactics that will help you improve in the game. I think overwhelmingly people would prefer to play with someone they know who isn't great, but trying to get better, than a faceless pub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brian Fellows posted:

What's the recommended way to get better at this game? I'd like to play with pubbies until I get good enough to not embarrass myself with people I know.

I bought the game pretty blindly, and the wide range of what each character can do is overwhelming. Playing vs. AI isn't even remotely helpful because of how dumb they are vs. actual people, but I feel like I'm screwing my team up by sitting there and holding down F1 to remind myself what the hell each button is going to do every time I play a match.

Should I just focus on getting good at one hero of each of the four character types and then start playing around with other characters once I'm decent? So far the only on-the-go changes I've caught onto are 1) When someone's murdering everyone with Bastion, just switch to the sniper if no one else is and kill him with her and 2) if someone's running around as McRee, pretty much always know where that guy is because he'll murder your balls off if you come anywhere near him.

read + memorize all the character pages here http://www.owinfinity.com/en/

if you don't know what characters can do then youre going to die to poo poo that you shouldnt have. execution comes after game knowledge in a game with as much character variety, i've had friends with a history of competitive fps games still die and say "wait does the reinhardt fire thing hit through shield?!" after 15+ hours of gameplay, those are things you really need to know to know when and where to be

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brian Fellows posted:

Just play more. You will learn all the hero skills soon enough.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Elderbean posted:

What's a free way to encode video compatible for youtube? I stuff I took via shadowplay won't upload for some reason.

Maybe try using Handbrake to transcode it and see if that works?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
One her per category it's a bad strategy, but you should focus on eventually becoming at least functional with all of them. If you're interested in a character, try them out in the training range, lean how their kit works, watch a YouTube or two if you have to. You don't have to expect to do ridiculous wall jump arrow head shots, just get the core utility of the class down and you'll already be better than most players. It's more important to learn the strategy of which hero is appropriate and when, than it is to make sick frag vids.

Not to mention that the categories are a little inaccurate for each hero. Bastion usually counts as a builder in my experience, and Roadhog has far more success as a roaming ganker like Reaper or Tracer than he does as a tank like Reinhardt or Winston.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Verranicus posted:

I'm not very good either, the only way to get better is to play. Are you playing with goons? If not, that's your problem. Try playing some of the easier characters like Bastion.

I played with goons and they literally all stood there watching D.Va blow them up. More than once.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Brian Fellows posted:

The best way to learn what each character does is to take them for a test run in the practice range. It won't make you great with them, but it lets you experiment with their abilities and get a decent idea of what they can do (and thus what your opponents can pull off).

I'd say a good character to try and get good with at first is Soldier: 76. He's a solid dependable choice who's pretty good in a variety of situations that you can do pretty well with if your team isn't pulling it together. If you see something coming that you can't deal with, turn around and sprint away. Make liberal use of your biotic field to heal yourself and your team.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jesus, it's fun to be Zenyatta when you have a coordinated team who communicates. Even just two people with mics and the rest of the team being willing to listen to them makes a huge difference. We had a Reinhardt calling out enemy positions and making sure to communicate when his shield was low and we just stomped. Plus people were really good at focusing whoever I put Discord on.

I felt bad for the defending team's Bastion. He just got poo poo on any time he tried to set up in sentry mode.

Still think Zenyatta needs a bit more health and/or some sort of mobility option, though. That was a rare circumstance.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I played with goons and they literally all stood there watching D.Va blow them up. More than once.

sorry my crippling social anxiety kicks in whenever I see a female hero

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Harrow posted:

Jesus, it's fun to be Zenyatta when you have a coordinated team who communicates. Even just two people with mics and the rest of the team being willing to listen to them makes a huge difference. We had a Reinhardt calling out enemy positions and making sure to communicate when his shield was low and we just stomped. Plus people were really good at focusing whoever I put Discord on.

I felt bad for the defending team's Bastion. He just got poo poo on any time he tried to set up in sentry mode.

Still think Zenyatta needs a bit more health and/or some sort of mobility option, though. That was a rare circumstance.

Literally any amount of health would fix him IMO, since even one point would prevent him from being bodyshotted by any Widowmaker.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Now imagine what pubbies would have done.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

sorry my crippling social anxiety kicks in whenever I see a female hero

Whenever I hear "nerf this!" I just stand there thinking "nerf what?". "What is this?". "Why would she need a nerf, aren't goons saying she needs to be buffed"?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

Now imagine what pubbies would have done.

avoid it? i dont see anyone die to dva ult othe rhtan dvas themselves

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Look, as for myself I can only say that PvP in WoW has left me with an absolute zero tolerance for bull!@#$. Too many bots and not enough oversight. You cannot trust a group of people who failed to remove botting from their flagship game.

One could almost call it a lack of bot Overwatch.

But, no. Really? What you people are suggesting is that I should play with a bunch of bots for thirty minutes because what? Sportsmanship? No. Not a %^-*ing chance. Even if they aren't bots: you are suggesting that I play with some idiots that don't know how to stand on a !@#$ing point and fight there?

Are you moronic?

That doesn't even go along with the "ethos" of Blizzard: Fun at all costs.

You may imagine that there aren't bots in Overwatch at the moment, but then it would be the only game in history if that were the case. That put up against Blizzard's TERRIBLE track record with managing that particular issue... well... let's just say that YES: the ep penalty is a terrible and draconian measure.

edit: You know what would actually be better? Oversite and better matchmaking algorithms... but then again that would also COST MORE MONEY.]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Came for the memes, stayed for the Duck & Cover roleplay.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

agreed

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Verranicus posted:

Look, as for myself I can only say that PvP in WoW has left me with an absolute zero tolerance for bull!@#$. Too many bots and not enough oversight. You cannot trust a group of people who failed to remove botting from their flagship game.

But, no. Really? What you people are suggesting is that I should play with a bunch of bots for thirty minutes because what? Sportsmanship? No. Not a %^-*ing chance. Even if they aren't bots: you are suggesting that I play with some idiots that don't know how to stand on a !@#$ing point and fight there?

Are you moronic?

You may imagine that there aren't bots in Overwatch at the moment, but then it would be the only game in history if that were the case. That put up against Blizzard's TERRIBLE track record with managing that particular issue... well... let's just say that YES: the ep penalty is a terrible and draconian measure.

edit: You know what would actually be better? Oversite and better matchmaking algorithms... but then again that would also COST MORE MONEY.]

Man, I can't even google the source for this one.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bolivar posted:

I liked how none of the monkeys got a card :gary:

the system has a clear anti-ape bias

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Verranicus posted:

Are you moronic?

Source your quotes

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I dunno he makes some good points. Plus that Overwatch -> Oversite transition actually had me nodding my head stroking my long beard in agreement.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just find it funny how angry people are that there's a leaver penalty.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i can't even imagine how different a game this thing is on the consoles.

Like, torb must be a loving nightmare, same with bastion, and Pharah must be a god drat shitshow to try and play.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I cannot get good with Reaper. gently caress me

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I just find it funny how angry people are that there's a leaver penalty.

There is?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
why would someone bot in overwatch. there's not really anything to gain.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i can't even imagine how different a game this thing is on the consoles.

Like, torb must be a loving nightmare, same with bastion, and Pharah must be a god drat shitshow to try and play.

I mean I know you can't tweak the sensitivity on a controller so you have to slide your entire arm across a desk to move the analog stick but some people are ok at aiming on a controller

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Help Im Alive posted:

some people are ok at aiming on a controller

hahah that's not bad, tell another joke

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean I know you can't tweak the sensitivity on a controller so you have to slide your entire arm across a desk to move the analog stick but some people are ok at aiming on a controller

Someone post that S76 PS4 beta video again it's so good

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

There is?

Yes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
*blinks through hero as Tracer, slowly rotates around to shoot them* I'm so good at fps games!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samara posted:

Not if you can't teamwipe with reaper.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Samara posted:

It helps to load up a custom game for the maps you're having trouble on and just spend some time figuring out fancy Shadow Step locations, to flank without anyone noticing. It still won't help much if you can't track bodyshots, though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Someone post that S76 PS4 beta video again it's so good

Is that the one where he pops visor before rounding a corner on an absolute hunch and by the time he sees an enemy there's a quarter second left

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
After reaching level 30 I have determined that the most fun heroes in the game are:

1) Mei
2) D Va
3) Roadhog
4) Mercy

Zen would be up there if he were a bit faster he just feels slow as hell.

Thanks for reading my list.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

man, I love playing Zen, but god help me if there's a widowmaker at any skill level on the other team. he's just a big, slow, easy target.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

but honestly, why would i play any other support when lucio exists

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
because mercy owns

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

man, I love playing Zen, but god help me if there's a widowmaker at any skill level on the other team. he's just a big, slow, easy target.

What if Zenyatta is left in his current state in the hopes that a team will go all Zenyatta so Reaper can finally get that "kill 3 guys without reloading" achievement

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

because mercy owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

but honestly, why would i play any other support when lucio exists

Mercy can fly and her pistol actually owns