Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

My opinion of Rika has gone up and will continue to go up if she can deliver more zingers.

Is it the beetle one? I bet it's the beetles.

e.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Seriously Mika has the best VISUAL stat in my heart.

Where does her hair go when she puts on that hat though.

Where everyone's identities go when they put on glasses.

Polsy posted:

Miria slams the front door and wakes it up, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Yeah, that sounds familiar now you mention it. I really need to rewatch that.

All three, actually.

Futaba Anzu posted:

but i agree that s2 is a hella lot weaker than s1 purely because of the overarching drama story they decided to take it in. I know that a show can't just coast off doing the same exact thing and has to change things up season by season, but in CG's case where there's just so many more interesting idols that haven't been covered in S1. It might have been beneficial to do just that and copy S1's "unit of the week" format with new idols instead of, well, doing kind of the same thing as that but being constantly marred by the looming drama brewing in the background. But then in that sense it just kind of makes it that much harder to ever really escape from that schedule in the future in case you ever did want to get into some drama, unless they decided to just cut a bunch of units from the story for no reason.

That's mostly an issue with it being CG, though. They'd need a gundam-sized run to give everyone even 10 minutes, so you end up with a few as a core + the periphery of "also popular, but not these ones" for the second half. Plus, they really do seem to like having an actual story for these, rather than running a gag show with a 100+ cast, because I don't really think that would work at all, whereas "there are idols and also a story" is probably a good hook even for a channel-flipper or whatever.

Really, the most annoying bit to me about the second half is that it's ever so neatly summed up as "differences in management philosophy, but also these two are acting like they dated in college and had a real bad breakup." That said, trust the producer who's sorta rubbish at dealing with people to not just roll over for the new bossmanlady. That's kinda a silver lining.

I'm really tempted to say that the actual worst bit about the second half is that it just sorta plonks in Mishiro and her corporate shakeup more or less out of the blue, but since I actually knew gently caress-all about IM@S when I was watching it first1, about half of its drama in its second half was equally out-of-the-blue, and honestly, it's way worse than Mishiro's stuff. Yes, she's a hamhanded rear end and not at all good at managing people, which isn't really a great quality for someone running a talent agency; but for all her issues, she probably wouldn't have someone loving kidnapped and left on a mountainside. Or try to crush someone with the paparazzi.

Plus I mean, since she is also perfectly capable of speaking in idiot metaphors about fairy tales and dreams and ash, I imagine she also knows how chess works.
Kuroi.png

1Actually, I didn't know anything coming into CG either, and helpfully forgot most of the finer details during the intermission between the two. This probably also helped. Not having expectations makes things a hell of a lot more enjoyable. Like, I'd probably enjoy a lot of it far more now, since I actually know who most of these people (even when they show up for about three seconds) are. And there's absolutely something to be said for watching something again later. I'm [very slowly] rewatching IM@S, and there's a ton of stuff that's pretty nicely foreshadowed and woven in between whatever story is that week's actual focus; none of which is obvious at all unless you have at the least a general idea of where the story is going. But I don't think you can actually have that experience for CG (without rewatching) unless most of the scenario is from the mobage.

Look, this is what happens when you try to cram yourself into something too small.

As for the bit about units, I'm kinda tempted to say that they mostly don't matter. I mean, NewGen gets a lot of focus because kinda-sorta protagonists and also reasons, but they mostly feel like a flimsy excuse to stick people together and to fit the insert song in. Like, if I think of anything about Anzu, it's never about Anzu from Candy Island, it's Anzu who for some reason is playing at being Yoda. Which I guess works because she's one of the older people in the Cinderella Project. And the Cinderella Project is really what the focus is, more than any particular idol, or 346 productions, or a given unit. Units are only really important to the extent that chopping them up makes for more tasty drama and more "ha ha ha I am the wicked stepmother, here to trample on your dreams. gently caress variety shows, Showa's over. Ha ha ha." I mean, obviously I can't say they're entirely unimportant because they do make up pretty much the entirety of the second half's dramatic backbone, but somehow despite that, they feel entirely unimportant.

Ah, found some notes. They included the phrase "one [cardboard] idol at a time." That was from the Nana episode, amidst some concern about her wrist. Also around there: I can't believe i watched more than a single episode of Million Doll. Jesus.

Hahaha "Wow. Every time she comes home, that baby starts crying." Ah, that reminds me, am I the only one who kept seeing the loving Doomsday Clock every time they'd cut to a clock slowly inching to the top of the hour? Because goddamn.

I'm assuming CG II 5 is ep. 17? The only thing that I took note of (besides Anzu actually being 17, which I thought was a joke) is that Chieri kept talking about a frog-san. Kinda wanna rewatch that to see what's up with that. And to see if there was anything else to that besides "look, here are those guys again, now they're doing something different. Look, they're fine, suck it up you two be like kawaii boku

Man, looking at some of the stuff I have written down here, I also was pretty down on most of this… although I guess it's obvious that really stupid poo poo tends to stand out more. "A star hidden behind clouds isn't there," indeed. Christ.

I will note that it took me until II-11, which is apparently episode 24? to notice that Uzuki's ponytail was a knot. Which is weird, because I really like her hair, and you'd think I'd've noticed that earlier.

Anyway, if that's how the numbering is, I think episode 19 is a thing you will like, ZEO. At least I'm pretty sure the one I have listed as 2-6 is what I'm thinking of.

What the gently caress. Just goes to show you can't trust someone playing a psp in in what i certainly hope is a ship of some sort

ee. https://twitter.com/syakebentou/status/736890546937942016

I mean my TL was pretty full of KareNao before, but now…

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

puchimas style cg series imo

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

I can't believe i watched more than a single episode of Million Doll. Jesus.

lol, same

quote:

I'm assuming CG II 5 is ep. 17? The only thing that I took note of (besides Anzu actually being 17, which I thought was a joke) is that Chieri kept talking about a frog-san. Kinda wanna rewatch that to see what's up with that. And to see if there was anything else to that besides "look, here are those guys again, now they're doing something different. Look, they're fine, suck it up you two be like kawaii boku

It starts at 14, 17 is the Miria/Mika/Rika episode and 18 is the Kanako/Chieri episode (I don't know why 'Kanako' is my default name for her when it should be Mimura for consistency). Frog-san is technically from the Candy Island S1 episode but chances are they re-explain it in the episode on the off-chance you're only watching the second half.

But yeah, he'll appreciate 19.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Regardless of any other factors, I cannot, on principle, dislike any episode that has Sachiko in it. I could live with every episode having her in it. I love that all the units with her in it have to have "Cute Me" somewhere in the name.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Futaba Anzu posted:

puchimas style cg series imo

I'm pretty sure we would all watch the hell out of this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Also last day for your SR Nico friends (if you don't already have her). I'm gonna sticker up afterwards and get a ticket. Gonna grab a ticket in SS as well; haven't decided who for though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am going to need to use loveca to get SR nico. I'm just two prizes away :smith:

I guess if I use less than 5 it'll be like getting a SR for cheap.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
We all know what happened when Uzuki met Rin in the park in episode 1. Shimamu took a flamethrower to Rin's cold, cold heart. Now, what would have happened if Sachiko had been in her place?

Danbooru link for translation

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

idgi nothing awful happened to kawaii boku????? I think maybe some panels are missing

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenostein posted:

idgi nothing awful happened to kawaii boku????? I think maybe some panels are missing

flash flash flash flash flash

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sylphid posted:

Did you read the doujin Sexy Akiba Detectives TL'd a couple weeks ago?

Whoa no what

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Whoa no what

Last Note. It's a good one.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sylphid posted:

We all know what happened when Uzuki met Rin in the park in episode 1. Shimamu took a flamethrower to Rin's cold, cold heart. Now, what would have happened if Sachiko had been in her place?

Danbooru link for translation

Oh man, I saw another one a while back. I'll link it when I get home soon.

Also, CURRENTLY AT 131k, GOING TO HIT 150k FOR SAFETY
NICOOOOOO

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

I mean, not that I don't love my current one, but this one would be acceptable if I were in the mood to change.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Sachiko + Rin: a two-parter.
Part 1 Part 2

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Cutie Panther is my favorite chart from this medfes. Easily.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

flash flash flash flash flash

is this cyberbullying?
did you do this too

graybook posted:

Sachiko + Rin: a two-parter.
Part 1 Part 2

ah, balance is restored

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenostein posted:

is this cyberbullying?
did you do this too

ah, balance is restored

Lo kirari being the only one not mislabeled

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Got another 5 tickets and did a ticket pull.

Healer boo, but it's pretty cute.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I just got the event Nico.
My first event specific SR.
Also got 2 Alpacas total out of the event. One was a random draw.
Got a ton of Loveca, as I max bonded ALL my 2 star normal draws. I would only be getting to about 50 total after the event. I am sitting on 172 now.
I had a lot of girls that needed max bonding.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i started playing SIF again after watching LL for the first time. now i have Opinions about the cards i get.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i started playing SIF again after watching LL for the first time. now i have Opinions about the cards i get.

ikr

Lead currently at 10k and hopefully rising. Gives me about an hour buffer on my competitor.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Sidenote that was a very sweet Shiki x Fre-chan.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Sidenote that was a very sweet Shiki x Fre-chan.

Akiba Detectives are doing the Lord's work when it comes to TLing idol doujins (with some very good Rin x Uzuki things now, as well as that one).

Oh, and yuri boat girl doujins too, of course. I feel this should go without saying.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

I have to say, the Riina episode was my favorite S2 drama of the week. The issue was foreshadowed adequately, you could have expected something like that even without Mishiro, and the payoff scene is kind of great.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
What a bad translation. It was an obvious Aikatsu reference.

Zenostein posted:

What the gently caress. Just goes to show you can't trust someone playing a psp in in what i certainly hope is a ship of some sort
She's in a tank on top of an aircraft carrier so you're kind of right :v:

Zettace fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 30, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
A day late but still great.

May your twisted science prosper for many years to come, Ichinose Shiki.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't feel up for liveposting or effort posting today since I gotta go back to work tomorrow.

It's a long weekend next week though cause it's Korean Memorial Day on Monday, so I'll finish my long post sometime during the week and see if I can finish S2 during the long weekend.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I have successfully met my goal.

Hit 150k, beat out the other person by about 18k points.

Final placement, rank 131.

For Nico.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Well done. You're still crazy for going hard through that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graybook posted:

I have successfully met my goal.

Hit 150k, beat out the other person by about 18k points.

Final placement, rank 131.

For Nico.
Congratulations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Now I'm gong to bond each of those SR copies to push Nico to top bonded idol on my profile.

I have avenged myself from last time. I am content.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ended up ranking 1453. Would've den fine with ranking lower but I leveled up off of my last gem so that boosted me a bit.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
No, children, no! Avert your eyes from the light! The radiance is too much for you!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And at a single stroke,

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It gets better!

An idolized Umi SR!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

No, children, no! Avert your eyes from the light! The radiance is too much for you!

Oooooooh poo poo congrats!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This UR train's got no braaaaakes!!!!!!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Tricolor oh maaaaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005