Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xinder posted:

Speaking of 0083, is it really as bad as people say it is? I was planning to watch the compilation movie, but it's difficult to find.

I just finished watching the series last week. No, it isn't terrible, not that does not make it very good either. It's pros and cons are both very apparent and it is a middling show at best. Considering how the 90s Gundam OVAs were completely screwed with behind the scenes meddling and director changes, it's about as good as we could get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Monsha and everyone else joined the titans in the end, hopefully everyone got wiped out during zeta.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ka0 posted:

Monsha and everyone else joined the titans in the end, hopefully everyone got wiped out during zeta.

The craziest thing about Monsha is that, for being such a colossal douchebag, he's not wrong about Kou.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

Gorgeous battles, interesting supporting players, awful leads, and an incomprehensible plot twist at the end. Oh, and both of the best characters die pointlessly.

(The fact anyone likes a hypocritical poo poo like Gato never ceases to astound me.)

I'm like Kai: I hate Zeon.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm like Kai:

this is the best screenshot i ever ripped from 0079

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kai is great I hope he never dies when I am watching any of these shows. I would be devastated.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

PBS Newshour posted:

Kai is great I hope he never dies when I am watching any of these shows. I would be devastated.

I have this odd thing where i'd like him to be a (probably still somewhat reluctant) MS-piloting protagonist, whilst knowing that would be a backwards step as a character. He's a pretty badass journalist though.

That's a pretty good setup for a side-story manga actually, has anything like that been done. I quite enjoyed the Ghiren Assassination Plot and Johnny Ridden's MSV series (which I think might have got canned? Stopped seeing updates) even if there is a recurring thing where Zeon suits are painted in Gundam colours. Gouf White Rose Custom does look awesome actually.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Kai is officially the second best MS pilot on White Base, in the Origin. It's also not just by default, he's genuinely good. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Kai is officially the second best MS pilot on White Base, in the Origin. It's also not just by default, he's genuinely good. :v:

I thought Sayla caught up with him later.

But yeah. It's great to see Kai going from "Tactical manuever: COWER ON THE FLOOR FIRING BLINDLY" to "Do I have to do everything around here?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

He's pretty good in the TV series, too, particularly after Dublin.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

Sayla didn't get a MS and still out killed him. She flew that glorified jet fighter.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Sayla didn't get a MS and still out killed him. She flew that glorified jet fighter.

she gets an ms in origin

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

She does, and gets a custom CQB GM as a result.

Kai fights the entire war, including Solomon and A Baoa Qu, in a Guncannon.

Granted, in Origin, the Guncannon gets overhauled when the GM gets deployed and it's more like a GM cannon than what it was at the start of the war, but it's still impressive.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 29, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Kai's effectiveness comes from the fact that he fights like the rear end in a top hat he is. He's pretty good at the whole shooting thing, but a lot of the Guncannon's more memorable antics comes from Kai just taking what opportunities he notices. The Guncannon absolutely should not be kicking suits or shoving them off cliffs but Kai does it because he knows how to get away with it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
0079 made me like Kai a good bit already, but I wasn't really a fan until he showed up in Zeta. White suit in the Amazon? Why not?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xinder posted:

Speaking of 0083, is it really as bad as people say it is? I was planning to watch the compilation movie, but it's difficult to find.

I'd just watch the show. The movie makes the plot even worse and cuts a lot of the gorgeous visuals.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BizarroAzrael posted:

I have this odd thing where i'd like him to be a (probably still somewhat reluctant) MS-piloting protagonist, whilst knowing that would be a backwards step as a character. He's a pretty badass journalist though.

That's a pretty good setup for a side-story manga actually, has anything like that been done. I quite enjoyed the Ghiren Assassination Plot and Johnny Ridden's MSV series (which I think might have got canned? Stopped seeing updates) even if there is a recurring thing where Zeon suits are painted in Gundam colours. Gouf White Rose Custom does look awesome actually.

If I recall correctly there's a G Generation game which has a route where Amuro dies at the beginning so Kai steps up and becomes a super newtype hero pilotting the Nu Gundam.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ActionZero posted:

If I recall correctly there's a G Generation game which has a route where Amuro dies at the beginning so Kai steps up and becomes a super newtype hero pilotting the Nu Gundam.

I think I remember reading that it was a book (or maybe it's been both) and possibly it was the RX-78-3.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

(The fact anyone likes a hypocritical poo poo like Gato never ceases to astound me.)

Gato is one of the most one-note and flat characters in the history of the franchise, which is both impressive and loops around to becoming somewhat entertaining.

"Gato, what do you want for breakfast?" "SIEG ZEON!" "What do you want to watch tonight?" "SIEG ZEON!"

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I remember reading that it was a book (or maybe it's been both) and possibly it was the RX-78-3.

One of the G Generations requires Amuro to die like he did in the novel to get to a route where you play as some of the villain characters by way of Cima taking the Delaz Fleet and rounding up a cool crew with no weenies allowed.

Edit: At least that's what I remember. Don't know too much about it other than broad stokes,

The GIG fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 29, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

Gato is one of the most one-note and flat characters in the history of the franchise, which is both impressive and loops around to becoming somewhat entertaining.

"Gato, what do you want for breakfast?" "SIEG ZEON!" "What do you want to watch tonight?" "SIEG ZEON!"

The big problem is that there appears to be more going on with Gato, but he just gets no screentime to justify it and he comes off flat. If they had taken those stupid episodes with Kelly and his Mobile armor out and focused them on Gato and his experiences at Solomon and A Baoa Qu, there might have been more to him. Because the idea of the Solomon Sea is pretty fascinating. A ship graveyard leftover from the solar array blast, killing on a scale not seen since the beginning of the war, and the psychological impact that could have on a person. Instead, Gato is just extremely loyal to Delaz, and the solomon sea has nothing for him except causing him to wax poetic bullshit the whole time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

One of the G Generations requires Amuro to die like he did in the novel to get to a route where you play as some of the villain characters by way of Cima taking the Delaz Fleet and rounding up a cool crew with no weenies allowed.

Edit: At least that's what I remember. Don't know too much about it other than broad stokes,

It's G Generation DS

Basically you have to complete the requirements for Amuro to launch in the Alex instead of the Gundam and then the battle either goes him winning (canonical routes) or him dying which results in a whole bunch of plot twists. It leads to what is called the Rival Route where rather than the usual protagonist ships you end up with the Dominion and Natarle and mostly villains who are struggling to deal with a hosed-up world. You also don't get the original protagonist IIRC, you get by with like Johnny Ridden and the EA Boys. Late in the story though you're joined by Kira, Athrun and SUPER NEWTYPE KAI SHIDEN in the Nu Gundam.

Kai can join in other routes but he isn't a super newtype who gets access to the full power of the Nu Gundam.

G Gen DS was pretty great and I wish I hadn't lost my copy. Cross Drive is a lot less interesting.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I prefer to believe Kai uses his newtype powers and the Nu Gundam's funnels to precisely shoot dozens of pilots in the balls at the same time. Really , super newtype powers opens a lot of doors for next level dickishness.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

I prefer to believe Kai uses his newtype powers and the Nu Gundam's funnels to precisely shoot dozens of pilots in the balls at the same time. Really , super newtype powers opens a lot of doors for next level dickishness.
On the flipside, would you really give Super Newtype Kai Shiden the keys to Angel Halo?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

On the flipside, would you really give Super Newtype Kai Shiden the keys to Angel Halo?

Guy has a soft spot for women and kids. He'd probably just do the right thing and let everyone out before dropping that nightmarish creation through Earth's atmosphere (ideally onto a major Zanscare base).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Absolutely yes with no hesitation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The mere presence of Kai would have made Victory Gundam a lot more bearable to watch.

Bonus points if he's the same age as he was in Zeta without explanation.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Raxivace posted:

The mere presence of Kai would have made Victory Gundam a lot more bearable to watch.

Bonus points if he's the same age as he was in Zeta without explanation.

Nanomachines,son? Minovsky Particles? Newtype bullshit?

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 29, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd like to think he'd just refuse to age in order to spite everyone else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The GIG posted:

Super Newtype Kai would be the best because, with someone like Amuro, if you're a villain you can process it as "Ah, yes. My Worthy Rival.Truly, I'm glad you arrived. Only you can really appreciate my genius."

Kai?

"Oh, gently caress's sake. It's this rear end in a top hat again."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Super Newtype Kai would be the best because, with someone like Amuro, if you're a villain you can process it as "Ah, yes. My Worthy Rival.Truly, I'm glad you arrived. Only you can really appreciate my genius."

Kai?

"Oh, gently caress's sake. It's this rear end in a top hat again."

I like that in the novels Kai went and rejoined the Federation while everyone else defected to Zeon entirely out of spite. He rejoined the losing side specifically to get his chance to gently caress Char's poo poo up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Or he could just be one in a long succession of clones/gholas.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I like that in the novels Kai went and rejoined the Federation while everyone else defected to Zeon entirely out of spite. He rejoined the losing side specifically to get his chance to gently caress Char's poo poo up.

What, everyone on White Base?

I'm thinking I should watch the MSG movies again. Or should I actually watch the original TV incarnation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

What, everyone on White Base?

I'm thinking I should watch the MSG movies again. Or should I actually watch the original TV incarnation?

In the novels, the White Base defects from the Federation to Zeon after assisting Char in assassinating the remaining Zabis. Zeon wins the war and goes on to oppress the people living on Earth (they start calling them 'moles' instead of 'spacenoids') The sole exceptions are Kai, who is the strongest remaining Newtype and who recognizes Char for the complete shitfest he is, and Sayla who peaces out to get away from the war entirely. (Amuro and Hayato are both killed in action.)

This isn't how it goes in the show. And honestly, the movies are fine. The TV incarnation has some good moments but the movies capture most of them.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Char's Counterattack but instead of the twofold plan of getting everyone to leave Earth and having one last fight with Amuro, Char's dropping Axis entirely in the hopes he'll finally loving kill Kai.

Kai proceeds to shoot off the Sazabi's limbs and slap Char around with it's own arms.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

Char's Counterattack but instead of the twofold plan of getting everyone to leave Earth and having one last fight with Amuro, Char's dropping Axis entirely in the hopes he'll finally loving kill Kai.

Kai proceeds to shoot off the Sazabi's limbs and slap Char around with it's own arms.
I would gladly pay serious money to see Kai trolling the gently caress out of Char.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

0083 is worth watching for the mechanical design alone. You've got cool variants of grunt suits (powered gm, bitter zaku), awesome mobile armors (Val varo, neue ziel) and other neat poo poo like the gerbera...and that's not even mentioning the gundams.

kou is a huge wiener though. I always thought gato came across as the true protagonist of stardust memory, mass murderin and all. He even gets the girl! (sorta)

On a somewhat related note does anyone have a gif of the scene where the zeon pilots are all sentimentally smiling at the attack signal flare? I always really liked that bit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AradoBalanga posted:

I would gladly pay serious money to see Kai trolling the gently caress out of Char.

We are not worthy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anthrovore posted:

0083 is worth watching for the mechanical design alone. You've got cool variants of grunt suits (powered gm, bitter zaku), awesome mobile armors (Val varo, neue ziel) and other neat poo poo like the gerbera...and that's not even mentioning the gundams.

kou is a huge wiener though. I always thought gato came across as the true protagonist of stardust memory, mass murderin and all. He even gets the girl! (sorta)

On a somewhat related note does anyone have a gif of the scene where the zeon pilots are all sentimentally smiling at the attack signal flare? I always really liked that bit.

The true protagonist is Cima, and we both know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

In the novels, the White Base defects from the Federation to Zeon after assisting Char in assassinating the remaining Zabis. Zeon wins the war and goes on to oppress the people living on Earth (they start calling them 'moles' instead of 'spacenoids') The sole exceptions are Kai, who is the strongest remaining Newtype and who recognizes Char for the complete shitfest he is, and Sayla who peaces out to get away from the war entirely. (Amuro and Hayato are both killed in action.)

This isn't how it goes in the show. And honestly, the movies are fine. The TV incarnation has some good moments but the movies capture most of them.

What happens to Bright? :smith: