Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kind of like how Josuke used Soft & Wet to pull all the oxygen out of Yagiyama's body. There's no real reason why he couldn't have done that to Damo or anyone else he comes up against. If there's a potentially overwhelmingly powerful way to use your ability, brush it under the table

About Josuke's suffocation stunt...

I think Josuke had to touch Yagiyama for that to work, AND they were underwater. He was basically suffocating Yagiyama much faster. If he had tried that on Damo or the Aphex twins, I guess not much would've happened, they just would've gasped for air a short while and that's that. I mean, it's not like doing that to Yagiyama instantly knocked him out... That's my justification, anyway.

Also, I believe Soft & Wet has to touch something either by hand or with its bubbles to work? I guess bubbles were too slow, and Josuke never touched Damo due to Vitamin C and Damo's rad coin trick.

It's not like Soft & Wet isn't insane enough once he touches someone, anyway. Aside from that blood bubble stuff, he can just instantly blind anyone. I'm sure we're gonna see even more insane concepts being "stolen" towards the end of the story...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Well, it kills Yagiyama because he's underwater and rockmen collapse underwater without oxygen because of some respiration crap the manga itself explains much better than my memory ever could. Even in a person in fresh air though, it'd be a fucker and if he can take the oxygen from your bloodstream, there's no real logical reason why he can't take something else equally important.

That said, Soft & Wet's plunder ability is 100% ranged and doesn't require Josuke or the Stand's hands to touch its target at all. His first usage of it is to drain a boatload of water from a police woman from long away. I believe it's meant to be part of Kira's contribution to Soft & Wet, in addition to the bubbles violently exploding.

I want him to steal the concept of「TIME」from the final boss' stand. And fill a room with his bubbles and change every single one of them in a Sheer Heart Attack.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, it kills Yagiyama because he's underwater and rockmen collapse underwater without oxygen because of some respiration crap the manga itself explains much better than my memory ever could. Even in a person in fresh air though, it'd be a fucker and if he can take the oxygen from your bloodstream, there's no real logical reason why he can't take something else equally important.

I found the flaw in your reasoning :v:

That said, Soft & Wet's plunder ability is 100% ranged and doesn't require Josuke or the Stand's hands to touch its target at all. His first usage of it is to drain a boatload of water from a police woman from long away. I believe it's meant to be part of Kira's contribution to Soft & Wet, in addition to the bubbles violently exploding.

I want him to steal the concept of「TIME」from the final boss' stand. And fill a room with his bubbles and change every single one of them in a Sheer Heart Attack.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I suppose only the bubbles have to touch something to steal it. That might be an explanation for why he didn't use it against Damo: his bubbles were already stealing something (moving the Hato sludge through the chimney), and even if he had tried, I guess punching goes faster than shooting bubbles? :shrug: Point in case: almost all successful stealing moves that Josuke pulls off are either him touching the target directly, or sneaking unnoticed bubbles somewhere.
I, too, look forward to the absolutely insane poo poo Soft & Wet can get up to. We've only hit the tip of the iceberg...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He wasnt really plundering Hato though, he'd scooped her goopy everything up into a bubble and just used it like a container.

When it boils down to it, everything is in the service of telling a good story so ability limits or things that should but don't happen are for that. Because if we are in logic world, DIO kills Polnareff on the stairs, he kills everyone in the coffin room, he punches Kak's head off, he murders Jotaro instantly in the one on one, also Dio never becomes a vampire and gets sectioned for killing Danny.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 29, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was always under the assumption that Act 3 could do other things (like everything Act 2 could do for instance) it just... didn't. Act 2 was a lot cooler, unfortunately, and I liked its design a lot more than Act 3's.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I'm not sure what it says in the translation you read, but in the raws, he specifically says he stole the air from Yotsuyu's lungs, rather than from his bloodstream or body in general, and that's why Yotsuyu is coughing up bubbles instead of bleeding them out of every orifice. That said, if he can drain the water from someone's body, I suppose there's not really a reason why he can't instantly desiccate someone to kill them.

And "Surii furiizu" is definitely a half-rhyme in Japanese. It also made a lot more sense once I realized how similar スリー and フリーズ look visually. ス is just フ plus an extra line.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 29, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As far as I understand it, people don't exactly remember the previous universe (except for Emporio and Pucci who were at the heart of the event and survived) they just kinda subconsciously know what's going to happen because technically they've been through it all before. And that way they can come to terms with everything that's going to happen to them before it actually happens.

And the 2nd reset is way different to the first because Pucci and MIH die before they can complete it so it just messes everything up and basically creates something super different rather than an exact copy. Irene and friends are just like replacements I guess of the prison gang who didn't make it through the universe hyper reset because MIH killed them itself, but even though there is no reason they should all be in the same place or know each other or be connected at all gravity draws them all together anyway.

Being at the heart of the event makes sense, and I do recall the line about how everyone's "spirit" already knew how things would play out in the first Pucciverse. I guess I just wonder if Irene existing means that there's something to preserve/save Jolyne and Jotaros' "spirits", or are they just Dead dead ala Jonathan/Caesar/half of part 5. At least the Duwang Gang probably made it through the transition unscathed, if I understand MiH and that scene with the ant properly.

And I know there's debate as to whether parts 7 and 8 are actually in the reset universe or in another universe altogether. I've heard a couple spoilers of how D4C works so maybe it'll get explained there, but it seems odd and to have a part end with a Universal Reset, then have the next part begin in a New Universe, but not have the new universe be related to the universal reset. Since they're back to back, there's no way Araki could have Forgotten.

Does any of this stuff get explored in parts 7 and 8?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Making a list of parallels between this and DiU would be interesting.

I only just remembered RHCP parallels the TV World victims.

- a group of youths (Rohan is 20, so technically a youth) work together to track down a serial killer in their small town using the ghostly manifestations of their psychic will, or something like that
- said serial killer is a misanthrope pretending very hard to be a normal person in the community
- delinquents/delinquent-type characters
- older mentor type who is the protagonist's uncle/nephew who accidentally neglects his young daughter due to work obligations
- some very superficial name similarities that are more like coincidences, like Josuke and Yosuke or Yukako and Yukiko edit: hell isn't your uncle-nephew's first name Ryotaro in P4?

It's been a while since I've played the game, so that's all that comes to mind for now. Some major differences I guess would include the fact that the 'whodunnit' aspect of DiU gets explained to the reader pretty much right away and we even follow Kira's misadventures for a while, instead of getting the Culprit reveal at the very end. Also DiU doesn't totally fudge the landing on its overall messages and themes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dias posted:

That's my theory too. "oh poo poo echoes 2 is kinda stupid let me nerf this poo poo", a la "oh poo poo this guy can incinerate everything can't he"

The thing is, it's not like when Koichi gets ACT 3 it's like that permanently, he can shift back to Act 1 or 2 if he wants (I'm sure I remember him doing it at one point because Act 1 has such a better range), so it doesn't really limit his power really other than he just doesn't do it anymore.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Magenta Magenta's known for having a really obnoxious grating voice, the only man capable of playing him is Bobcat Goldthwait

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Archenteron posted:

Magenta Magenta's known for having a really obnoxious grating voice, the only man capable of playing him is Bobcat Goldthwait

And if they can't get Bobcat perhaps Justin Roiland would suffice

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just curious if anyone's seen any reaction from Japan on the Eyes of Heaven game?

For what it's worth I enjoyed the heck out of all star battle, and I really would like to get eyes of heaven, but I thought I heard rumblings that it was even worse than all star battle?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Ineffiable posted:

Just curious if anyone's seen any reaction from Japan on the Eyes of Heaven game?

For what it's worth I enjoyed the heck out of all star battle, and I really would like to get eyes of heaven, but I thought I heard rumblings that it was even worse than all star battle?

Eyes of Heaven is basically just All-Star Battle with a team-up mechanic and more playable characters.

So, it's not worse, per se.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Isn't it also a 3D Arena fighter with tiny animal characters?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ASB was fun to play now and then with friends and helped get a few of mine into the series. EoH doesn't have local multiplayer though does it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ineffiable posted:

It sold worse than All Star Battle by a significant margin and no one over there seemed to care about it even a little. From what reception that could be gathered up it's pretty much "It's average and boring."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EoH does not have local multiplayer.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Isn't it also a 3D Arena fighter with tiny animal characters?

There's only one tiny animal character. Petshop can basically ignore the game's stage design though because flight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone made a wish on a monkey's paw for the anime to be good, so the tradeoff is that the modern games have to suck

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That doesn't stop people from buying them though

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I've never played any of the games but they got Rikiya Koyama to do two takes of Kira's boner line and that alone justifies everything. I will self-immolate in protest if they replace him with a different actor for Kira.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rikiya Koyama is p godlike as Kira, yeah

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yuki Ono is doing a great job as Josuke though it's a shame that it feels kind of "dirty" about how Wataru Hatano didn't get the role. (With no knowledge of how the casting went ofc). Koyama feels necessary for Kira to me, I really hope they don't drop him. I want Koyama for Kira 8 too. I'm not massive into Mitsuaki Madono as a whole for Josuke 8 actually.

These UJ commercials are different voice acting but basically the same animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXE5m-L4II4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNhJM7T1Fw

This Daiya though is 10/10

e: Also there's probably going to be another one of these in this weeks episode.
Italian Food AND a new JoJolion CM :allears:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 30, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

multijoe posted:

Act 2 could probably have taken on Kira by itself

Possibly. It dealt with SHA pretty well until a last second excuse freed it up.

The only thing is that Killer Queen is a short range power-type Stand and Act 2 can only throw one SFX at a time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Killer Queen's got a considerable speed and power advantage over Act 3, and it's implied to be the fastest and most powerful physically version of Echoes. Killer Queen's actually pretty slow and weak for a power stand but still a league above Act 3. It'd probably be able to catch and kill Act 2 without much effort.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Act 3 can use any pun Koichi can think of. Koichi is just really bad at puns.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really like that when Josuke and Kira finally do a classic Stand rush, Killer Queen just can't compare and gets wrecked. Forcing Kira to rely on things like using the length of his arm and Josuke's height to determine how far to launch an air bomb and the whole Did I Turn Okuyasu Into A Bomb Or Not is so so much cooler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That part of Highway Star where Josuke figures out how much time he can make spare by moving at 80 kp/h in comparison to HS's 60 and then he stops and he gets mad because it just warps next to him anyway.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

That part of Highway Star where Josuke figures out how much time he can make spare by moving at 80 kp/h in comparison to HS's 60 and then he stops and he gets mad because it just warps next to him anyway.

I like the part immediately afterward where he casually ruins two people's lives via phone theft.

(he didn't even need to steal the 2nd one but cmon the guy was on a roll)

Highway Star is so loving good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Josuke being an accidental rear end in a top hat is a pretty great running gag, tbh.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

standard owl posted:

- a group of youths (Rohan is 20, so technically a youth) work together to track down a serial killer in their small town using the ghostly manifestations of their psychic will, or something like that
- said serial killer is a misanthrope pretending very hard to be a normal person in the community
- delinquents/delinquent-type characters
- older mentor type who is the protagonist's uncle/nephew who accidentally neglects his young daughter due to work obligations
- some very superficial name similarities that are more like coincidences, like Josuke and Yosuke or Yukako and Yukiko edit: hell isn't your uncle-nephew's first name Ryotaro in P4?

It's been a while since I've played the game, so that's all that comes to mind for now. Some major differences I guess would include the fact that the 'whodunnit' aspect of DiU gets explained to the reader pretty much right away and we even follow Kira's misadventures for a while, instead of getting the Culprit reveal at the very end. Also DiU doesn't totally fudge the landing on its overall messages and themes.

What I'm getting from this is that Nanako's going to be a loving hardcore badass when she grows up

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I guess I'll wait for eyes of heaven to be on sale, and not to expect anything more than just a fanservice game.

Which is what all star battle kind of was anyway.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
the only good things about eyes of heaven are the team combo attacks and the music

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So many duos missing DHA's really, really ought to have had them, even if there's no manga panel to base it on, including

Jonathan/DIO
DIO/Diego
Josuke/Josuke
Josuke/Jotaro
Jolyne/Joseph+Josuke+Jonathan
Johnny/Jonathan
Iggy/Jotaro
Ice/DIO
Kira/Kosaku

Basically, everyone.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Jonathan riding Slow Dancer wielding Bruford's sword

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's really no reason there aren't more crossover DHAs or even one some Hero/Villain combos like Jonathan/Dio or Jotaro/DIO or fuckin idk Hol Horse/Mista poo poo. Just like be a little bit more inventive guys, come on.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They could have just not had the time or didn't want to spend any more on recording lines or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure development time and cost factored into it, but if their gimmick was this team thing a lot of it feels like an after thought. It's weird hearing about the game's developmental process and how they seemed to want to inflate their character roster and story mode more than anything involving how the game was going to work as a game. That's CC2 though so I'm not too surprised.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

49 people: This game kinda sucks as a game.
1 person: I wanna play as Diego.
CC2: Play...as....Diego.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/asikoh009/status/737816332822007809

Someone at David Productions is ready for Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Archenteron posted:

Magenta Magenta is every parent's dream.