Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Why can't you stupid liberals just stop saying mean things about us. Only we can say mean things! You're the ones that are supposed to be tolerant and forgiving and take the burden of others, so take all the burden I put on you and smile correctly when I do!

I have about 4 boomarked links of campuses and other organizations shutting down BDS stuff and pro-palestinian initiatives, to e sent to people who whine at me about PC/freeze peach crap.

I get told 'It's completely different' a lot, but never got an explanation of why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sephyr posted:

I have about 4 boomarked links of campuses and other organizations shutting down BDS stuff and pro-palestinian initiatives, to e sent to people who whine at me about PC/freeze peach crap.

I get told 'It's completely different' a lot, but never got an explanation of why.

i have stuff like this, or steve salaita getting sacked at UIUC, or the professor at U of wisconsin who got harassed for tweeting stuff negative about walker, or how the michigan state legislature is trying to cut $400m from michigan state's budget over their labor history classes

these fucks never actually whine about THOSE when it comes to free speech; it's as if what they really mean to say is "shut up you uppity n*ggers/chinks/wetbacks/dykes/fags/whatever"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

personally, i read that as "white people favor meritocracy, it's just that they'll bend the criteria to come up with a definition of the word that benefits them the most"

You are both right. The study in question found that whites would profess to favor an admissions system that weighed GPAs and test scores highly, but would switch to one that emphasized more extracurriculars and leadership positions when informed of how many Asians there are in the UC system.

edit:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i have stuff like this, or steve salaita getting sacked at UIUC, or the professor at U of wisconsin who got harassed for tweeting stuff negative about walker, or how the michigan state legislature is trying to cut $400m from michigan state's budget over their labor history classes

these fucks never actually whine about THOSE when it comes to free speech; it's as if what they really mean to say is "shut up you uppity n*ggers/chinks/wetbacks/dykes/fags/whatever"

Yeah. The UNC system was forced by the legislature to shut down 3 centers that did not rely on state funding because those dealt with things like poverty or biodiversity. A Kansas professor was suspended for tweeting anti-NRA stuff. But of course that the right and the "very serious person" liberals like Friedesdorf and Maher would instead freak out over the Emory trump thing that turned out to be mostly false

http://www.snopes.com/emory-students-trump-graffiti/

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 30, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:perfect:

America should be a meritocracy, now let's get rid of the 14th amendment's guarantee of birthright citizenship because my kids shouldn't have to compete with the children of immigrants!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sephyr posted:

BDS is different because it has actually been working, at least a shitload better than your average fringe leftist cause. Plus Zionism is one of the innermost, most untouchable planks of Jon Chait/Serious Person liberalism. If BLM ever came up with a successful way to challenge the authority of the police and prison system and starts implementing it themselves, I would fully expect to see the same kind of shocked op-eds denouncing the new leftist totalitarianism. Supporting such movements until the exact moment when they begin to actually succeed is the entire point; It lets liberals take the moral high ground and political support from the left while at the same time not have to make any kind of political sacrifice that would harm the status quo which has been so rewarding for them

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Conor Friedersdorf is not a liberal. He's a libertarian.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Looks like Drudge is having a nice Memorial Day.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wow suddenly "Kentucky man swerves wildly through park on a Saturday after the bars close" is national news and not just something as surprising as the sunrise

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yesterday, I flicked on my car radio and managed to find my way to Sean Hannity's show. He was in pure smug douchebag mode, like always, but he was interviewing a bunch of women that had accused Bill Clinton of sexual assault in the 90's. "Hillary says that rape victims deserve to be believed... unless they're accusing her husband, that is :smug:"

Now, I was way too young when these accusations were coming out to really pay attention to them, and they pretty much vanished as soon as Republicans were able to nail Clinton with the Lewinsky blowjob. Was there any validity to the accusations, or was it the Benghazi of the 90's?

It's just hard to find much information about them without it being completely politicized. While I do believe that rape victims should be believed, their stories made Clinton out to be some sort of cartoon villain. One of them claimed that the Clinton political machine is still having her gang-stalked, and kidnapped her cat recently just for revenge. It stunk of a constructed story aimed at taking down Clinton, not actual testimony.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Trump could for real actually choose Gingrich as his VP and they'd still be obsessing over Clinton's past.

The GOP would have two dudes that have been through three wives each, cheated on all of them, and Gingrich is known for chewing through prostitutes. It's like the ultimate version of accusing your opponent of your own faults.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Can someone link me a 'best of' from Scott Adams blog? I know he's said some pretty horrendous stuff in the past but his blog has shitloads of entries so it's pretty difficult to wade through.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I see that Atwater's strategy has evolved.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/hes-american-cnn-host-rips-katrina-pierson-for-mexican-racial-attack-on-trump-u-judge/

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yesterday, I flicked on my car radio and managed to find my way to Sean Hannity's show. He was in pure smug douchebag mode, like always, but he was interviewing a bunch of women that had accused Bill Clinton of sexual assault in the 90's. "Hillary says that rape victims deserve to be believed... unless they're accusing her husband, that is :smug:"

Now, I was way too young when these accusations were coming out to really pay attention to them, and they pretty much vanished as soon as Republicans were able to nail Clinton with the Lewinsky blowjob. Was there any validity to the accusations, or was it the Benghazi of the 90's?

It's just hard to find much information about them without it being completely politicized. While I do believe that rape victims should be believed, their stories made Clinton out to be some sort of cartoon villain. One of them claimed that the Clinton political machine is still having her gang-stalked, and kidnapped her cat recently just for revenge. It stunk of a constructed story aimed at taking down Clinton, not actual testimony.

The short answer is that Juanita Broaddrick's claim is credible but not proven, and the other two are pretty loving dubious.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

A rare bit of solid interviewing from CNN though.

quote:

“I don’t know if he’s Mexican,” Pierson quipped. “I don’t know his heritage or his descent.”

“Okay, for the record, he’s American,” the CNN host said, concluding the interview.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

My general take away has been that Broderick is the only accuser who has a credible claim but there's also no clear evidence to support it. It's clear Clinton slept around and it's creepy and "sexual harassment-esque" given the power dynamics but the idea that he's a rapist only seems to be supported by one woman's claim and then a couple of others who changed their stories or were found to have holes in the stories.

But of course Sean Hannity is of the mind that Clinton is a clear pedophile because he's one of countless people who flew on that guy's plane (including, I think, Trump). So I can only imagine what you heard on his show.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Levantine posted:

Good on that guy.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Levantine posted:

There was also the other Trump spokesperson in the last few weeks that went on CNN twice and when asked questions about his campaign bunted to Trump.

:v:"What does Trump think of X?"
:geno:"Well, since I'm not Trump, I can't speculate for his line of thinking."
:confused:"You're from the Trump campaign right?"
:geno:"Yes, I am"
:v:"So what did Trump mean when he praised dictator Kim Jong-Un?"
:geno:“Well, I’m not going to speculate on what he meant specifically by those points, but generally he wants to have an open dialog to repair relationships with leaders throughout the world.”
:crossarms:"Again, you represent the Trump campaign?"
:geno: “I do represent the Donald Trump campaign, you’re 100% correct. However, I cannot speculate based on another person who works for the campaign’s remarks and what they meant by those.”

I feel like at this point Trump's campaign is just loving with them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There really isn't a good answer to "should rape accusers be given the benefit of the doubt and bypass due process" that makes everyone happy. Rape is really, really hard to prove and easy to dismiss, which discourages victims from coming forward. And sometimes every MRA's wet dream occurs, a false accusation - this could destroy someone's life. So what do you do?

I don't think there's any convenient way for Clinton to address this subject, and being a women's candidate there is also no convenient way to skirt around it. Basically the planets aligned and gifted Clinton an opponent with his own sketchy past, though Drumpf's at a natural advantage due to his base generally not giving a poo poo. It could have been a lot worse, though.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, we can have a lovely conversation about what rape is and the validity of accusation and what not that I'll regret if we want, but I really feel compelled to say that regardless of your definitions, having sexual relations with your intern as the loving president of the US is sketchy as gently caress on many many levels. There is absolutely substance in this case to talk about with regard to William Jefferson Clinton being a really bad person.

Does this have anything to do with Hillary Rodham Clinton? gently caress if I know, and it's complicated by the fact that the people who seem to care most are political adversaries of mine in other arenas.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rick_Hunter posted:

That's all they've been doing the whole time, Trump included. They aren't going to commit to anything and his supporters don't care since they're projecting all of their anger onto Trump.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Rick_Hunter posted:

:geno: “I do represent the Donald Trump campaign, you’re 100% correct. However, I cannot speculate based on another person who works for the campaign’s remarks and what they meant by those.”

Na, the problem is that Trump never takes hard positions on anything and he constantly changes his mind. If a spokesman says something firm, he'll contradict it within days if not hours. For the most recent example, look at the Bernie debate brouhaha.

On one hand, I'm kind of glad that he's indirectly dismissing the whole "flip-flop" bullshit, but on the other, he's a complete policy disaster as a result.

The media and/or Hillary need to begin pointing this stupidity out.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Octatonic posted:

So, we can have a lovely conversation about what rape is and the validity of accusation and what not that I'll regret if we want, but I really feel compelled to say that regardless of your definitions, having sexual relations with your intern as the loving president of the US is sketchy as gently caress on many many levels. There is absolutely substance in this case to talk about with regard to William Jefferson Clinton being a really bad person.

Does this have anything to do with Hillary Rodham Clinton? gently caress if I know, and it's complicated by the fact that the people who seem to care most are political adversaries of mine in other arenas.

I've been thinking for some time now that, given the power dynamics involved in the relationship between Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky, that if that were a modern Scandal, ( that is if the Scandal was happening right now in an alternate Earth where Bill Clinton is currently President) it really would have resulted in Bill Clinton being run out of office in disgrace.

American culture at presentire would not have dismiss that incident so easily. We would have cared very little about the infidelity or the lying, but the abuser-esque power imbalance in that relationship would be absolutely unacceptable to the modern left. I think Bill Clinton would be run right out of the party if it were all to happen today.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2016

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Prester Jane posted:

I've been thinking for some time now that, given the power dynamics involved in the relationship between Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky, that if that were a modern Scandal, ( that is if the Scandal was happening right now in an alternate Earth where Bill Clinton is currently President) it really would have resulted in Bill Clinton being run out of office in disgrace.

American culture at presentire would not have dismiss that incident so easily. We would have cared very little about the infidelity or the lying, but the abuser-esque power imbalance in that relationship would be absolutely unacceptable to the modern left. I think Bill Clinton would be run right out of the party if it were all to happen today.

In a vacuum, maybe. In the context of the endless manufactured and diminishing scandals that preceded it? Probably not I think. The left was hardened into being reflexively defensive and dismissive of the non stop right wing witch hunts and I think if the whole sequence played out today it wouldn't change much.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

In a vacuum, maybe. In the context of the endless manufactured and diminishing scandals that preceded it? Probably not I think. The left was hardened into being reflexively defensive and dismissive of the non stop right wing witch hunts and I think if the whole sequence played out today it wouldn't change much.

I think Bill is actively engaged with women's rights and sensitive to public norms and today would see a secretary as off limits for precisely those reasons.

As you noted, society has made progress since the 90s. Taking the discussion from "wives aren't allowed to say no" to "no means no" to "yes means yes" has been big social strides. Some older guys are adapting to it better than others and bill isn't one of the blow hards freaking out about it.

Edit: for spelling and also to note that marital rape was literally legal in parts of the US in 1978 and is why I exist. The conservative argument for it was that you agreed to it when you married him. Which was why when my dad was told he was ineligible for a promotion to the executive level without a child ( we only promote stable family men ) he unilaterally ended my mother's legal career through non-consensual pregnancy. No fault divorce also wasn't a universal thing yet and he told her that if she lost me he would sue for divorce on the grounds that she had aborted his child ... A public shaming which would get her fired and shunned so there was no path of action that would get her job back. Just a choice between public humiliation and private humiliation.

This was the world Bill Clinton grew up in.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 30, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hispanics will love him! I mean he'll obviously never accept them or their children as actual Americans no matter how hard they work and the first time they inconvenience him he'll be on the national stage calling them un-American, but still they're gonna vote for him like whoa!!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

McAlister posted:

Edit: for spelling and also to note that marital rape was literally legal in parts of the US in 1978 and is why I exist. The conservative argument for it was that you agreed to it when you married him. Which was why when my dad was told he was ineligible for a promotion to the executive level without a child ( we only promote stable family men ) he unilaterally ended my mother's legal career through non-consensual pregnancy. No fault divorce also wasn't a universal thing yet and he told her that if she lost me he would sue for divorce on the grounds that she had aborted his child ... A public shaming which would get her fired and shunned so there was no path of action that would get her job back. Just a choice between public humiliation and private humiliation.

:stare: Jesus, thats loving horrifying

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Luminous Obscurity posted:

:stare: Jesus, thats loving horrifying

Yeah let's just so that there are some really, really good drat reasons feminism happened.

That isn't even the worst sort of thing that happened. Nowhere near.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

McAlister posted:

( we only promote stable family men ) he unilaterally ended my mother's legal career through non-consensual pregnancy.
You just reminded me of some details from deep in my past, my late sister's first marriage. She married extremely young (both of my sisters were married by 18, and not due to pregnancy) back about 1979. Her husband worked for an old-school manufacturing company. A big one, in the Midwest.
They had two kids together and I think the marriage lasted about seven years or a little longer before things were untenable and they split up.

Soon after the divorce, her ex-husband was called into a meeting with his manager and, despite working for them as his first job and doing great work for them and being loyal to the company, he was summarily fired. The simple reason was that he was divorced, and that meant he was incompatible with the company. I have no idea if he was aware that that was likely to happen, I never asked him.

To be fair to him, he has turned out over the years to be a better and better father and a decent man. They were just so young, and really, both of my sisters married too young due to my emotionally abusive Dad (who also worked for the same company, until he had 29 years there and was almost fully-vested in his retirement and they eliminated his job description right before he could hit his 30 years, this would have been about 1989.)

lovely companies are lovely. KILL ALL UNIONS.

P.S. - He's anti-union.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh latest article about the gorilla that was killed at the zoo

While You Were Crying Over a Dead Ape, 125,000 Babies Were Just Murdered

quote:

Those of us who do not want to go along for the ride can only stand firm and continue reasserting the most basic and self-evident truths. In this case, the truth that human life is more valuable than animal life. All of the animals in the entire world are not worth one child. All of the beasts that have ever existed do not equal the life of even the most despicable person. There is no question that an ape should be killed to protect a child. Indeed, if it were necessary, I would personally kill a thousand apes to protect one child, and I would feel no remorse at all.

Beyond that, one abortion is a greater tragedy than the extinction of an entire species of animal. A million dead kittens or a hundred thousand butchered elephants do not even come close to matching the horror of one slaughtered baby. If you cannot see it that way, you are a confused and morally corrupt person. But all the same, I would choose your life over that gorilla’s. I would choose it over every gorilla on Earth. Because no matter how unconcerned you may be about the lives of other people, you are still a human being. And that means something to me, even if it doesn’t mean anything to you.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/while-you-were-crying-over-a-dead-ape-125-thousand-babies-were-just-murdered/

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/while-you-were-crying-over-a-dead-ape-125-thousand-babies-were-just-murdered/

As if he gives the slightest drat about any life that he can't use for his pitiful moralizing. Note that he and so many others never say anything about the hundreds of millions of existing children starving or abused worldwide, no. Gotta spend all our time worrying about embryos.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This reminded me to ask, where can I find accurate statistics about abortion? Growing up Catholic, I feel like I can't trust anything on the subject.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Matt Walsh posted:

All of the beasts that have ever existed do not equal the life of even the most despicable person.

I don't know about that. Humans have caused massive amounts of misery and suffering. much more than "beasts" have. And unlike animals, they know better.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's one of those dumb philosophical digressions, like how many people would you run over to not run over a baby. in reality, there's no such clearcut choice where one would have to weigh 100,000 'beasts' against 1 human life or something. we r plenty capable of having our cake and eating it too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There are plenty of beasts that are way more useful and important than Matt Walsh. I'm guessing that Japanese cat that jumps into boxes is more useful to society than anything he contributes.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Soon after the divorce, her ex-husband was called into a meeting with his manager and, despite working for them as his first job and doing great work for them and being loyal to the company, he was summarily fired. The simple reason was that he was divorced, and that meant he was incompatible with the company. I have no idea if he was aware that that was likely to happen, I never asked him.

You feel like you are telling the plot of a horror story when you say poo poo like that don't you? How do you explain that to people who didn't live it? Employers using pay checks to leverage cultural conformity among their employees didn't start with hobby lobby. Not by a long shot.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radish posted:

There are plenty of beasts that are way more useful and important than Matt Walsh. I'm guessing that Japanese cat that jumps into boxes is more useful to society than anything he contributes.

The hair on my rear end is more useful and important than Matt Walsh.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

McAlister posted:

You feel like you are telling the plot of a horror story when you say poo poo like that don't you? How do you explain that to people who didn't live it? Employers using pay checks to leverage cultural conformity among their employees didn't start with hobby lobby. Not by a long shot.
Beg your pardon?

You related an anecdote about employers and culture. It reminded me of one, and I shared it. Was I not supposed to?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Radish posted:

Actually Walsh will be forgotten in the trash heap of history while Maru will be long-remembered as a pop culture icon. Imagine that, being worth less than a cat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

Maru is a slightly mobile world heritage site.

Edit: also, if you ask authorities on the topic, almost everyone is worth less than a cat.

Cats are the authorities on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dr. Faustus posted:

Beg your pardon?

You related an anecdote about employers and culture. It reminded me of one, and I shared it. Was I not supposed to?

I think McAlister's just trying to commiserate over the fact that when you actually tell stories like that they're so Kafkaesque that they'd be unbelievable if you hadn't personally experienced it.