Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Give McCree a lasso that works like Roadhog's hook please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

brennon posted:

I find it strange that they didn't put ANY of the contrivances other games put in to make sure snipers aren't just death gods (ballistic drop, camera shake on taking fire, forced zoom-out to work action, cross-hair waver, high refire time, immobility).

I replied to Countblanc last night I think about this but there definitely is camera shake when you take damage while scoped in. It's not as strong as it is in other games, though. It's most apparent when you're taking repeated Soldier/Lucio/etc pot shots.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you gotta gently caress up real hard to die to a lone symmetra as basically anything even if she gets the jump on you

Our team's best player, who mains Genji et al, gets POTG as Symmetra frequently. She's a small model with very forgiving lock-on cones, and the beam damage ramps up to absurd levels and transfers easily. The time to power-down the beam is really forgiving, it's like 1-2 seconds THEN ramps down at the same speed it ramps up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

:gizz:

I need a bigger, blacker emote here.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah hog is best in skirmishes where everyone is a bit on their own. He's good with other self sufficient heroes and on both maps where it's absolute chaos.
Try to stick near corners to can duck behind and learn the right click. Zarya is probably the worst for you, Zen can be a big problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

enemy team goes 3 reinhardt on defense

we go... 2 hanzo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

loving murder me in my sleep please

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

One thing that seems to be common in videos and clips of people doing really well is that they aren't being shot. They're running around (sometimes right in the middle of mayhem) shooting everyone around them but they aren't actively being attacked by anyone. I find that I am constantly being attacked by someone, so my time to live is typically very brief. I'm not sure how other people can go unattacked for long periods of time so they get the chance to use their skills.

It's the main reason I took to picking Winston and just flinging myself into the middle of the enemy team over and over again since I was going to get melted anyway. I did manage to get a few good plays out of that strategy since when he drops in he gets alot of attention which ideally means the rest of your team gets a break.

The last character I tried was Symmetra but needing to be literally right in front of an enemy to hit them with the beam resulted in getting one shotted by... everyone? It seemed any character I attacked could instakill her. I wound up scattering turrets around and popping orbs off in random directions.

On Winston, that's basically the entire idea behind the guy. The only way to stop him from jumping into a team's squishy side is to kill him before he gets there and that's difficult (assuming everybody's playing reasonably intelligently). He actually does exist to disrupt and sow chaos but he has the kit to allow him to not only escape and survive after diving in but also to give his team a precious moment of not being shot at. And when he's not being a really buff flanker he's also great at playing the objective.

Symmetra has the ability to shoot balls that go through walls, players, and reinhardt shields with her RMB. They're slow but they're there and sometimes you can land a decent hit on somebody who didn't expect it. So she actually does have long range options, even if they're more for applying pressure, keeping the other team's heads down, and building up ult rather than outright killing people. Usually. Imagine it being kinda like a Hanzo ult that has no telegraph and a smaller hitbox.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Roadhog is also really good against flankers that try and jump in and kill your healer, which is a pretty strong trait.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level
Speaking of Roadhog, I have a question on how his hook works.

Say I'm a Genji that just got hooked by one. Am I able to press and hold "E" while being hooked to queue up my reflect, so that it comes out as soon as the stun is up? Or do I have to just spam it hoping I get it off before he blasts my face?

I seem to never be able to get a reflect off after being hooked, while as playing Roadhog opponent Genjis seem to be able to get them off reliably. I know about the whole thing with people coming out of stuns quicker if hooked from further away, and maybe that's just it, but I just want to know if I'm missing something.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kashuno posted:

Why do so many people compare mei to mccree that comparison makes no sense

probably because they're the lockdown cc classes, no one cares about roadhog

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

CardTech posted:

Speaking of Roadhog, I have a question on how his hook works.

Say I'm a Genji that just got hooked by one. Am I able to press and hold "E" while being hooked to queue up my reflect, so that it comes out as soon as the stun is up? Or do I have to just spam it hoping I get it off before he blasts my face?

I seem to never be able to get a reflect off after being hooked, while as playing Roadhog opponent Genjis seem to be able to get them off reliably. I know about the whole thing with people coming out of stuns quicker if hooked from further away, and maybe that's just it, but I just want to know if I'm missing something.

Roadhog's hook stun has a fixed timer. If it's at close range, you're basically hosed. If it's at maximum or near, there's a very good chance the stun will end before it's pulled you fully in, at which point you can reflect him or do whatever.

The most fun thing to do is to reflect his whole hog and watch as he goes into orbit as you reflect his very inaccurate spread directly back at him in a laser beam of knockback death.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Symmetra has the ability to shoot balls that go through walls, players, and reinhardt shields with her RMB. They're slow but they're there and sometimes you can land a decent hit on somebody who didn't expect it. So she actually does have long range options, even if they're more for applying pressure, keeping the other team's heads down, and building up ult rather than outright killing people. Usually. Imagine it being kinda like a Hanzo ult that has no telegraph and a smaller hitbox.

Pretty sure Symmetra's balls don't go through walls.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Attention: putting 5 players behind a bastionReinhart (why do I keep doing this) shield and slowly walking forward doesn't work (especially on capture/koth). All you're doing is presenting a giant 2000 hp target for the enemy team to shoot at. You need people to flank, run forward and get some kills, etc.

Edit: I should take my own advice.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 30, 2016

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Kashuno posted:

Why do so many people compare mei to mccree that comparison makes no sense

For a bit her M2 was basically McCree's M1 before it got falloff damage, which made it way to good when combined with everything else she could do and lead to her getting falloff on it. Outside of that nothing at all.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

you gotta gently caress up real hard to die to a lone symmetra as basically anything even if she gets the jump on you

I golded damage with Symmetra a couple days ago because I microwaved Roadhog solo. Twice.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Soothing Vapors posted:

probably because they're the lockdown cc classes, no one cares about roadhog

It's because they're the best duelists

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ddraig posted:

Roadhog is the master of punishing over aggressive playing. He can turn a minor overextend into a death spiral that can't be recovered from.

He's very much a defensive tank and works best when you are either up against a very uncoordinated team that spills in all directions/trickle in, or by covering the flank routes and pulling key targets out of coordinated pushes. Some of the best plays I've had are getting around the side of a push and pulling their healer out and one-shotting them, then watching the entire push crumble

Star did a pretty good video on his strengths/weaknesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDx1Oy92v7I

Star has been streaming drat near everyday since OW came out.
Plays a l o t of MCree despite bitching about him all the time but there isn't much hero variation where he plays.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

totalnewbie posted:

Attention: putting 5 players behind a bastion shield and slowly walking forward doesn't work (especially on capture/koth). All you're doing is presenting a giant 2000 hp target for the enemy team to shoot at. You need people to flank, run forward and get some kills, etc.

reinhardt

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

didnt know fire strike did aoe damage : 0

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Pretty sure Symmetra's balls don't go through walls.

Oh you're right

Well I was drunk and at least my team was probably very confused

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

In non-Widowmaker conversation, where is Roadhog strong? Of all the tanks he's the only one I don't really see a lot of big advantage to. He soaks a ton of HP and is very durable but he also builds enemy ults like woah

What the hell does this even mean? Since when does damage taken build ult? I don't remember that ever being the case.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Though considering how much I do drink and how well I manage to do with Widowmaker, maybe she does need a little tuning down...

Kamikaze Raider posted:

What the hell does this even mean? Since when does damage taken build ult? I don't remember that ever being the case.

He means the other team builds ult from hurting the roadhog player.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He means the other team builds ult from hurting the roadhog player.

and roadhog is gonna just eat E all the time so you can give A LOT of ult build to the enemy team

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Part of me wants ult charge to be built off of % health damage rather than raw number damage, but I'm not sure if that would unfairly punish low health people/reward spam classes with insane charge rates. It just feels dumb that often, as a tank, you are just charging their ult by taking incidental fire.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TheTatteredKing posted:

It's because they're the best duelists

They believe in the heart of the cards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I mean the enemy damaging him builds their ults.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Everything about this is amazing. loving :lol: at the idea that the Tracer should be allowed to rewind out of Junkrat's trap.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

brennon posted:

Part of me wants ult charge to be built off of % health damage rather than raw number damage, but I'm not sure if that would unfairly punish low health people/reward spam classes with insane charge rates. It just feels dumb that often, as a tank, you are just charging their ult by taking incidental fire.

Sorta, but most of the tanks have ways of mitigating damage. Armor mitigates damage and thus gives less ult than if they hit someone else, and obviously barriers fully negate ult gain. That's one of the big reasons Roadhog feeds ult, he has zero mitigation mechanics and in fact inflates his own health pool. I do think ult charge should probably be reduced by 10-15% across the board though, it doesn't make for terribly interesting pushes when both teams have 2-3 ults ready every time and a few people are just going to get hard CC'd/killed instantly for every major team fight.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Everything about this is amazing. loving :lol: at the idea that the Tracer should be allowed to rewind out of Junkrat's trap.

I mean it's weird thematically that Tracer cannot but balance wise it's absolutely fine. Existing in a world where you think Tracer needs buffs must be incredible, however.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

If you lose as Tracer you should be able to rewind + disconnect

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
junkrat remains too much fun

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

If you lose as Tracer you should be able to rewind + disconnect

Rewind remains active for 3 seconds after death, allowing a resurrect.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Blizzard probably set Windowmaker's expected K:D ratio to 3-2, and since there's so many lovely pubbies bringing it down, they'll probably buff Widowmaker in response. Balance guys!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

ok but what if tracer could rewind back in to a junkrat trap

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok but what if tracer could rewind back in to a junkrat trap

I want to see a junkrat make this happen

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Symmetra definitely is bottom of the barrel tier. I've tried the tips people gave but it still doesn't do anything against people with eyes and below average reflex. Her turrets can give you an indication where people are coming from, but it's hardly any consolation for the damage they do, how long they last and how long it takes for them to refresh. Her ultimate is limited use on top of the fact that you don't build it up while you have a transporter up which is really bad design choice. Her E is busywork, simple as that. Useless to boot. Her only saving grace is her alt fire but if I wanted to spam my alt fire down a causeway I'd play Widowmaker and shot-shot everyone with hitscan rather than a slow moving orb.

I tried, guys, I really did. You may score some kills, your transporter does some good and I've had a few POTG but that was due to the fact that the team I played with were phenomenal and when you have that kind of team any hero you play as would shine. She really needs a new kit, something that's worth a support role and not a mishmash of ideas that are no good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Doot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohb7qvPxDZQ

/edit: whoa? I think it uploaded like crap? The first 7 seconds appear frozen here

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Every time I've tried playing Tracer I've been awful, but moreso than any other character, I get wrecked by good Tracers so often. I think I'm bad at estimating the distances of my blinks, because every time I do a blink in combat, I just disorient myself and spend just as long trying to relocate my opponent as they do trying to find me, if not longer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In my first game back playing as Bastion on King's Row I rarely died, we won, and I got the PotG. Although we didn't win much after that match I didn't do my usual dying over and over. I tried to get sneaky and pick my engagements, I used the crouch to be a little quieter while moving when I knew there were lots of flankers and I managed to be in the right spot at the right time for my team a few times. Even managed to repeatedly take out one of those players that seemed addicted to hunting me down. I changed positions regularly and used a quick shift to reload when I knew action was imminent.

The only long range positions I took with Bastion were when the enemy was close to delivering the payload and I wanted to keep breaking their Reinhardt's shield. That worked well and he was forced to run around in the open and stop protecting his team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Ciaphas posted:

enemy team goes 3 reinhardt on defense

we go... 2 hanzo

He's a big fat target as Lucio (and probably Hanzo) (and Zarya). Treat him like the Dark Souls boss he is, get behind him, and shoot him in the rear end.