Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

thechosenone posted:

are there any funny casual rpgs out there worth playing?

play Barkley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scrap Dragon posted:

play Barkley
Fricking hell, I forgot Barkley.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is Suikoden still dead? Just checking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

so uh, have you not been paying attention to news about konami or

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

so uh, have you not been paying attention to news about konami or

Well, is there a Suikoden pachinko machine or fitness club?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Well, is there a Suikoden pachinko machine or fitness club?
No, because it wasn't a major enough franchise for that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
poo poo you're making me want to go into a pachinko parlor just to see if you're actually right

if not, rest assured that i'll happily provide proof of life

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

No, because it wasn't a major enough franchise for that

Maybe not flops like Suikoden I or II but international megahit Suikoden IV and its breakout protagonist "Razro" are cash money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljz4HeYnPmI

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF15's all-male cast dressed very similar looks boring to me and it bothers me that when ever someone says this the same cadre of people get all huffy that JRPG's aren't sexist and Final Fantasy had plenty of lady protags and all this poo poo that doesn't have anything to do with the cast looking like four dudes all dressed the same and that's lame for a series known for having a colorful diverse cast of playable characters, which is something I personally like about the series.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

FF15's all-male cast dressed very similar looks boring to me and it bothers me that when ever someone says this the same cadre of people get all huffy that JRPG's aren't sexist and Final Fantasy had plenty of lady protags and all this poo poo that doesn't have anything to do with the cast looking like four dudes all dressed the same and that's lame for a series known for having a colorful diverse cast of playable characters, which is something I personally like about the series.

I personally like sentences that are shorter than 86 words long.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bloodychill posted:

You don't like all black?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Strange Quark posted:

I personally like sentences that are shorter than 86 words long.

Run-on sentences that are grammatically correct are very much my jam.

Kild posted:

You don't like all black?

Not really. It's a style that I like in small doses.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't even get the "they look the same" thing, they have pretty distinct builds and looks. Like, dapper butler guy does not look at all like burly leather jacket man or scrappy gun dude.
Oh it's about the color black, never mind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Black is boring and I hope we can play dress up with them at least

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't the roadtrip kicked off by his dad dying? They're just wearing mourning cltohes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who says mourning clothes have to be boring?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Being able to play dress up with them LR-style would do a lot for me. I'm still luke-warm on the characters (I like the swarthy big guy and the British guy, not the other two so much) but I can deal with that if the game is fun and the story is good.

I do really hope they improved the VA direction and sound mixing since the first demo released. It wasn't the worst thing ever but I expect more on that front from big games these days.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm sad Sean Bean won't show up to die in the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bloodychill posted:

I understand what you mean though, hopefully the games gives some customization to what your dudes wear. I like the idea of this bro-trip, and hopefully it means there won't be any melancholy romance nonsense or damsels in distress or whatever, just some bros drinking beers and fighting monsters.

Mechanically, it's pretty important to have people look different enough in an action game as you'll want to know exactly who you're looking at when scanning over a battlefield in combat. I haven't played anything but the Platinum Demo, so I can't comment how important that is specifically to this game, but I imagine it's not moot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

but nobody said 'it's about them looking similar' people were going on about whether or not it having an all-male cast was a good thing, full stop

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm gay

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

.... the wordfilter is gone?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

quote his post to reveal the secret

hth

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

.... the wordfilter is gone?

I don't think it affects the properly punctuated version.

im gay
I'm gay

e: nvm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
actually, the word filter can sense when the words are true. modern programming is amazing.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If there's anything Romancing SaGa 2 needs to tell you but doesn't it's that sitting on the throne lets you start public works. This unlocks a few things but one big thing is magic research which is how you learn new spells. You are never told this in-game. It takes a bit for the magic research to become available though, so just check the throne every quest or so to keep the public works train moving.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Fister Roboto posted:

What is dead may never die.

The last Suikoden thing that happened was Suikoden III getting a PSN release. Anything more than that will probably require Konami selling off the IP.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
suikoden 3 AKA spend hours cheesing the lottery to make the game not a slog

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Scrublord Prime posted:

If there's anything Romancing SaGa 2 needs to tell you but doesn't it's that sitting on the throne lets you start public works. This unlocks a few things but one big thing is magic research which is how you learn new spells. You are never told this in-game. It takes a bit for the magic research to become available though, so just check the throne every quest or so to keep the public works train moving.

Do you or anyone else have any other beginner tips? I caved and bought it for android despite the lovely controls/interface but I'm saving it for a long plane flight in a couple of weeks.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I don't want to be too down on FF15 because this is the game we get. It's just that there are so many red flags around it:

-a small cast that hasn't clicked well with a large playerbase yet with the exception of the road trip angle
-director hasn't done a anything very good and notably made Third Birthday
-driving this point home, director said he didn't understand why some players did not respond well to Cidney's design :psyduck:
-first demo was ok but nothing amazing
-second demo was so awful and still had poor performance issues
-the game has been in development a long time, even if you cut out the reboot time. Has had two directors
-current director going beyond "taking fan feedback" and possibly doing some design by fan committee based on wildly different feedback from Japanese and Western players on the demo. This actually worries me more than the other things

Basically I'm hoping the game is good but I'm not liking the odds.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bloodychill posted:

director hasn't done a anything very good and notably made Third Birthday

:yikes:

Third Birthday is easily the worst game I've ever played

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

Oh dear.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People outside of Sometihngawful like Crisis Core a lot

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tae posted:

People outside of Sometihngawful like Crisis Core a lot

I've seen people here say they like Crisis Core a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CC was, and still is to a lesser extent, really popular everywhere I go on the Internet. Plus I believe we had a list of Japan's favorite FF Characters posted just a short while ago in here and Zack topped the list. That was most definitely due to Crisis Core. In fact, people preferring Zack to Cloud was a very common opinion I found everywhere for a long time, which irritated me but that's neither here nor there. Now the aforementioned list was from about 4 years ago, and I've seen more recent lists where Cloud is back on top, but Zack is still hanging in there.

You can find more criticism for it nowadays but I'm fairly certain we're still in the minority and most people really like Crisis Core.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

voltcatfish posted:

Look on the bright side, now the no-female-protagonist thing is really a good thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crisis core is a great game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Crisis Core was pretty good. Doing the quick side missions was a bunch of fun, even if it did make the main quest kinda piss easy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I also think Tabata's involvement is overblown as far as creator goes. The head writers of 15 are Saori Itamuro and Kazushige Nojima. Tabata's main skill is getting projects out the door as a team manager, and he shipped multiple games in a short span during that era of SE when they were busy unfucking themselves from FF14 1.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

I also think Tabata's involvement is overblown as far as creator goes. The head writers of 15 are Saori Itamuro and Kazushige Nojima. Tabata's main skill is getting projects out the door as a team manager, and he shipped multiple games in a short span during that era of SE when they were busy unfucking themselves from FF14 1.0.

This is I think the main hope-inspiring thing about him leading the project. He has a reputation for getting poo poo done and if there's one thing the game needed more than anything else, it was exactly that.

And yeah, I liked Crisis Core. It was a solid game and probably the best thing to come out of the FF7 EU so I'll give Tabata that.