Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I spent the afternoon completing all of the sidequests I had missed in preparation for Blood & Wine. When I completed the DRM tower quest, the game and my Steam client hard crashed. I'm just gonna pretend that was intended by the developers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm about to wrap up Witcher 1 and this is good to know, since I'm jumping right into Witcher 2 after that.

Really glad for the input I got on playing the first one. I've been having quite a bit of fun, although did anybody else feel like resolving the Human-Vodyanoi conflict in Act IV was a little...subdued? My resolution was to literally ask for a token of peace from Julian(?) and the Vodyanoi priest, turn the items in to the Lady of the Lake, and presto, problem solved. It didn't really seem like there was much of a conflict. Nothing like the Scoi'atel/Order issue, at least, and most of the humans seemed more preoccupied with things like the wedding than with whatever issue was transpiring between the two groups.

What you did was the neutral option. You could've also either sacrificed the village prize cow to the vodyanoi or just killed the vodyanoi and their god outright.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A nice thematic detail I have noticed, but a lot of the major quest givers in this game (and subsequently a lot of quests) pertain to fathers and daughters. The Baron and Tamara for instance, and there's this Jarl and his daughter...it's a neat touch, the world echoing Geralt's own feelings pertaining to fatherhood. Since Geralt's inner monologue isn't readily known to us, it's kind of interesting to see things that might echo his own feelings in the world around him. A daughter who resents a father who wasn't always there, a father who cannot control his daughter as she's grown old--all things that Geralt himself is likely having internal conflicts about over the course of the game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Helith posted:

The steam page for Blood and Wine says it unlocks in 19 hrs for me, I'm guessing it'll be the same the world over, so eastern Australia should get it about 8am tomorrow.
I'm guessing the patch could come with the expansion for those that pre-ordered it or separate for those that haven't.

I have an exam at 8 in the morning tomorrow. :negative:

Guess I'll at least have something to look forward to when I finish.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I just grabbed this game on the psn sale since it seemed like such a good deal. Ive been playing lots of Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Doom and going from those games to this is jarring in terms of the clunky controls. Can someone give me some tips on what I should be doing in combat because playing it like dark souls (rolling around and strafing while locked on) had me killing the first monster by the skin of my teeth.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rally posted:

I just grabbed this game on the psn sale since it seemed like such a good deal. Ive been playing lots of Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Doom and going from those games to this is jarring in terms of the clunky controls. Can someone give me some tips on what I should be doing in combat because playing it like dark souls (rolling around and strafing while locked on) had me killing the first monster by the skin of my teeth.

Proper preparation helps for a lot. You basically die to everything super easily at first, so just do the tutorial quests, gain exp, and take some of the perks to get some extra vitality. Dodging isn't like Dark Souls, you don't quite have i-frames, but the dodge has a sort of curve to it, so you want to dodge around enemies, not away or directly towards. Use magic strategically.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My local sfuff seller (they used to sell PC parts, nowadays they sell basically everything) just sent me an email that they have B&W for sale. I think they are taunting me and really want to start playing now. Or at least preload :v:.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rally posted:

first thing you do is go to preferences and change the control style from default to the new batman style so that geralt's momentum doesn't fling him past everything you try to walk up to

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

rally posted:

First, go in the settings and look for an option called Movement Response or something like that, turn it to Alternative. You'll feel the difference.

As for combat, preparation is the key. Initially you're super vulnerable so pick your fights wisely.

Circle button dodge is your bread and butter, use it to dodge around until you're in a favorable position and then strike and reposition. Never end up in the middle of a pack of enemies, and if you do dodge around until you're safe.

Your X button roll is useful for avoiding big, strong attacks and lunges from huge creatures, but most of the times you should be using the dodge: it's quicker and allows for more accurate motion, while the big roll just flings you in one direction.

Combat principles from Souls still apply: as I wrote above, don't get surrounded, seek favorable positions and don't be overly eager while attacking; even only one enemy can take you by surprise and gently caress you up.

One combat principle that doesn't apply: don't lock on when fighting groups! It reduces your ability to dodge because it becomes relative to the targeted enemy and you don't need that, but you do need to move in any direction at will to avoid being swarmed. When attacking, it kinda sorta works like the Batman system in that you direct the control stick in the direction of the enemy you want to attack and Geralt will go that way. Mind, it's no magic auto targeting, so if you point in a bullshit direction you'll miss.

Brew olis and potions, and use them! All those that you can find. Loot chests around POIs, buy them from vendors.

And, obviously, get familiar with enemy attack patterns. Learn to be careful when Drowners jump back, they're about to lounge back at you. Learn to be careful when loving wraiths start teleporting around and dodge like a madman.

For groups of bandits... here's a fun thing you can do: get the arrow parry skill to level 2, then Jedy the arrows back at them. For me this turned bandit groups from a chore into a pleasure. Also, when you no longer need it, you can eventually respec, some vendors sell a potion for that.

Edit: more stuff!
The bestiary tells you enemy vulnerabilities; entries get added to the bestiary after you fight a creature once.

Use all three tools at your disposal. As i said, brew oils and potions, but bombs and decotions too. You only need to brew things once and then they refill with you meditate, by the powers of alcohol.
And you have a crossbow too; not massively effective but it has its uses.

And explore all of White Orchard's POIs, it's worth it.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 30, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Save shielded humanoids for last, and favor quen over other spells. It's a get out of jail free card if you gently caress up, you'll be thankful for it.

Priority should go something like

magic -> ranged -> melee -> shielded melee.

This is just for humanoids but humanoid encounters are often group affairs, you'll be much happier with bowmen/crossbowmen dead, and shield guys take a bit of riposte/parry work that's a far sight more difficult when everybody else is still alive.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A nice thematic detail I have noticed, but a lot of the major quest givers in this game (and subsequently a lot of quests) pertain to fathers and daughters. The Baron and Tamara for instance, and there's this Jarl and his daughter...it's a neat touch, the world echoing Geralt's own feelings pertaining to fatherhood. Since Geralt's inner monologue isn't readily known to us, it's kind of interesting to see things that might echo his own feelings in the world around him. A daughter who resents a father who wasn't always there, a father who cannot control his daughter as she's grown old--all things that Geralt himself is likely having internal conflicts about over the course of the game.
There's also something much closer - the Emperor being Ciri's actual father. There's an interesting step dad - deadbeat real dad dynamic to it which makes you at times feel for the Emperor even when you know he's an rear end in a top hat. Add to it the fact that both Geralt and Yen are infertile and this game touches some themes I've never seen in the medium before.

There's a lot and I mean a lot things in this game that can be read between the lines, thigns that are communicated but not explicitly stated and it's thanks to incredible character building. It's like they created characters so believable and psychologically robust that they end up being more than what's actually shown on the screen. You start wondering about their decisions, interpeting their facial expressions in scenes, building your own interpretation of their motivations. You basically see them as people to a much greater extent than in most games and that's an insane achievement in the medium as a whole.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Do you guys think cheatengine can tick "quest complete" boxes for me?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Do you guys think cheatengine can tick "quest complete" boxes for me?

Completing quests is a more fun way of getting those boxes ticked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Quote-Unquote posted:

If you look up a few posts, you'll see that the NPC that ends the quest has vanished from the game. These sort of things can be solved with console commands in Fallout but I don't know the limitations of Cheatengine for such wide manipulations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quote-Unquote posted:

He can't complete a Witcher 1 quest because of a bug...

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

If you look up a few posts, you'll see that the NPC that ends the quest has vanished from the game. These sort of things can be solved with console commands in Fallout but I don't know the limitations of Cheatengine for such wide manipulations.

Ah, thought you were talking about Witcher 3 as lots of people seem to get cross about having failed quests

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

the chest that contains the enhanced feline boots seems to have bugged out and ticked itself as looted even though I don't have the diagram and the quest still points me to that cave. I'm guessing this is one set I have to forget about?

EDIT-turns out the quest marker is actually the one broken and I looted the chest already.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 30, 2016

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Lurdiak posted:

I got Dandelion's lute back for him but now I can't find him. I keep going back to the inn at various hours and I can't find the fucker. Does he need it or not?
If you've got more quests left in the act try finishing them up first. It might've clashed with some other quest somehow. I had a similar problem with another quest near that tavern but the npc reappeared after a few quests for me.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I found it but the quest is bugged for me :( I'll never save them pigs

What happened? That's one of my quests and I know there's a bug where some guys get flagged as immortal, but if you leave the area (fast travel to be sure) and return, it should work.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The patch seems to be out on PC, 2.5 gigs.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Witcher 3 downloaded 2.5 gigs from Steam and now reports as version 1.21.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My God, help me to survive this deadly love.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Watch out as people on the Steam forums report performance drops and crashes after installing the patch. Some of it may be due to mods but still it's a bit risky atm.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Palpek posted:

Watch out as people on the Steam forums report performance drops and crashes after installing the patch. Some of it may be due to mods but still it's a bit risky atm.

Gonna have to install it for Blood and Wine anyway, so...

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Was it confirmed anywhere that in NG+ the Blood and Wine recommended starting level is 70? I would assume so, what with the level cap being 100 now?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Palpek posted:

Performance does seem a bit worse from the few minutes I spent running around, but nothing dire. Game wouldn't even boot for me until I uninstalled all my mods so I'm gonna wait to play for a bit in the hopes that a couple key ones get fixed quickly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Friendly HUD and The Enhancement System don't work atm.

Better Trophies and all of my aesthetic mods(lore accurate geralt, hd reworked, better blood, etc) work fine though.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rolling Scissors posted:

Was it confirmed anywhere that in NG+ the Blood and Wine recommended starting level is 70? I would assume so, what with the level cap being 100 now?

Really? I've done everything apart from one or two side quests (which'll net me a point or two XP each) and most of the treasure ?s in Skellige (done all the monster nests and abandoned settlements, since they remain good XP) and I'm barely level 69.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

What happened? That's one of my quests and I know there's a bug where some guys get flagged as immortal, but if you leave the area (fast travel to be sure) and return, it should work.

That happens, if I come back they're level 4 and I can attack them, but it still doesn't do anything, they stand around not reacting and Geralt is stuck in combat mode. Some people had some luck reinstalling and verifying caches and what have you so I'm going to try that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

hopterque posted:

Performance does seem a bit worse from the few minutes I spent running around, but nothing dire. Game wouldn't even boot for me until I uninstalled all my mods so I'm gonna wait to play for a bit in the hopes that a couple key ones get fixed quickly.

Performance is worse because the patch resets post-proccessing configuration and turns on nVidia Hairworks.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That happens, if I come back they're level 4 and I can attack them, but it still doesn't do anything, they stand around not reacting and Geralt is stuck in combat mode. Some people had some luck reinstalling and verifying caches and what have you so I'm going to try that.

That sucks man, it's a problem with the way they get their immortality flag removed, but it *should* be fixed if you leave and return. Not sure why it wouldn't work, lemme know if you figure it out. You should also drop a line to our customer support people, they are very good and might have a solution I don't know of.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
got a question about the expansions, i've not played either and i was thinking about saving them for a ng+ or a fresh start but i don't have time for how long witcher 3 is right now, but some things i read seem to suggest blood and wine takes place after the main game? is there any official word on that? i was thinking of loading up my post-end save and just doing hearts of stone and then going straight into blood and wine but i'm a sucker for plot consistency and will get annoyed if everyone is talking about the wild hunt still loving poo poo up (hence why i was going to save the expansions for some time in a ng+)

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

got a question about the expansions, i've not played either and i was thinking about saving them for a ng+ or a fresh start but i don't have time for how long witcher 3 is right now, but some things i read seem to suggest blood and wine takes place after the main game? is there any official word on that? i was thinking of loading up my post-end save and just doing hearts of stone and then going straight into blood and wine but i'm a sucker for plot consistency and will get annoyed if everyone is talking about the wild hunt still loving poo poo up (hence why i was going to save the expansions for some time in a ng+)

Both expansions are intended to be played postgame.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Deakul posted:

Friendly HUD and The Enhancement System don't work atm.

Better Trophies and all of my aesthetic mods(lore accurate geralt, hd reworked, better blood, etc) work fine though.

Good to know on Better Trophies. Always Full Exp is super broken now. I think Autoapply Oils is too. I may kind of hold off a bit to continue my game until some of the QoL mods are fixed.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jizz into Darkness posted:

Both expansions are intended to be played postgame.

huh, well then. time to get my install ready. thanks!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Vikar Jerome posted:

The problem is that the level requirements in NG+ get boosted so you'll have to (almost) complete the main quest in NG+ again to even reach the proper level to play the expansions. They're very much a separate thing though and there's no Wild Hunt in them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PC version doesn't auto detect my ps4 controller as a ps4 controller anymore so its using xbox prompts. No biggie but this should be something you could toggle in the options.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Anyone have any suggested alchemy-own all builds I can try for my new game+?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I played through the game back when it first launched. Are there any 'Must-have' mods that people recommend to use? Mainly interested in cosmetic or QoL improvements, rather than grand gameplay changes.

Planning to do a second play-through with the new DLC quests and two expansions. Both expansions are meant to take place post-game, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Patch is out on ps4