Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK. I love everyone regardless of their branch :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
great idea to talk poo poo about the war dead on memorial day weekend right?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lets talk about those dumb asses going to jail / retiring with full benefits after dealing with FAT LEONARD

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
its us. we're the idiots. every single one of us.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

its us. we're the idiots. every single one of us.

agreed

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm the loving big idiot today because a) I own a phillips hue and b) I spent like 30 minutes trying to figure out why two of the lights werent working.

they weren't plugged in :smithicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

this is the dumbest poo poo in this whole dumb circlejerk. does the fact that bomber crews got slaughters in huge numbers somehow diminish the deaths of marines or anyone else? the 8th airforce got it harder than anyone else in the us military. 135000 men served in the 8th airforce and about 19% of them died. by comparison, going off peak numbers of 8.2 million in the army and 475k in the marines, 3.8% of soldiers and 5% of marines died in ww2

what is your retarded point?

I'm dogpiling silly poo poo on the Marines because why the gently caress not. Do you want me to get loving real on it? Sorry I hurt your feelings in the idiot thread. :smith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The F-35 is a dumpster fire entirely (okay, only mostly) because of the Marines' retarded demand that it have VTOL; without that, it would simply be a bad plane. That's all the reason I, a civilian, need to make fun of them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked it when the USMC said so one else was allowed to use MARPAT. It figures the first time they manage to procure something that actually works they decide no one else can use it because of stupid service rivalry bullshit.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

lets talk about those dumb asses going to jail / retiring with full benefits after dealing with FAT LEONARD

if we're talking about people retiring with full benefits, let's not forget the married USAF three-star who will be retiring with full benefits (as a three star) after having admitted to all but loving the wife of a subordinate ever since he was a one-star

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The F-35 is a dumpster fire entirely (okay, only mostly) because of the Marines' retarded demand that it have VTOL; without that, it would simply be a bad plane. That's all the reason I, a civilian, need to make fun of them.

It wouldn't even be a bad plane without the V/STOL bullshit, it'd be a not too shabby not retardedly overpriced/behind schedule strike fighter.

It'd still have some programmatic challenges, but a lot of those are due to the whole SWAT weight reduction effort...which was solely due to the V/STOL requirement.

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked it when the USMC said so one else was allowed to use MARPAT. It figures the first time they manage to procure something that actually works they decide no one else can use it because of stupid service rivalry bullshit.

EAGLE GLOBE ANCHOR BRAH

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Multicam/OCP's look better than MARPAT anyway, they can keep it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

Multicam/OCP's look better than MARPAT anyway, they can keep it

A decade later.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mustang posted:

And then the Marines just didn't exist for 10+ years after the war. Same with the Navy.

So for this dumb game the Army has been in service longer than any other branch.

However we're actually all the idiots for this dumb rear end branch rivalry bull poo poo

US Merchant Marine grabbed a bunch of letters of marque in 1775 and never looked back.

Also had the highest casualty rate in WW2 and recieved no government benefits such as the GI Bill or recognition.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

marine dress blues are based on a hand me down from the US Army regiment/legion commanded by GEN "Mad" Anthony Wayne

here is a good article about how most of the USMC poo poo is made up advertising

https://thepopulist.wordpress.com/never-faithful-the-rivalry-between-our-army-and-marines/

quote:

By way of comparison, General Macarthur’s Army killed, captured, or stranded over a quarter of a million Japanese troops during the New Guinea campaign, at a cost of only 33,000 US casualties. The Navy and Marines suffered over 28,000 casualties to kill roughly 20,000 Japanese on Iwo Jima. Even then, the Army played a greater role than Marines like to admit; the Army had more divisions assaulting Okinawa than the Marines.
:aaa:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

marine dress blues are based on a hand me down from the US Army regiment/legion commanded by GEN "Mad" Anthony Wayne

here is a good article about how most of the USMC poo poo is made up advertising

https://thepopulist.wordpress.com/never-faithful-the-rivalry-between-our-army-and-marines/

I want to believe this article, go army etc., but it gets pretty bad & turns into an exhaustive list of every fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd:sergeantgrampanazifighter1942@aol.com thread ever, relatively quickly.

Even a basic understanding of the Pacific theatre -> a sick KD:R was great, but attrition only went so far, after all we just wanted landing strips within bombing range of the mainland.

But when "Chinese documents" exonerate soldiers in Korea of their cowardice is the moment when I realize this guy's just got an agenda, and he's old and angry:

quote:

Marines claimed that the Army had disgraced itself, and passed on stories of US soldiers throwing down their weapons and feigning injuries. A Marine Chaplain even made statements to the press and wrote an article accusing army soldiers of cowardice.

There were so few officers and men left from the Army task force that the Marine’s claims were accepted as fact. But newly released Chinese documents prove otherwise. The Army task force fought bravely against overwhelming odds before being destroyed, and their stubborn defense bought time for the Marines to escape the encirclement.

etc.

quote:

During Operation Desert Storm 90,000 Marines attacked Iraqi forces alongside over 500,000 US Army and coalition troops. Yet the Marines garnered 75 percent of the newsprint and TV coverage. This was not an accident.

:what:

Anyway, it's all worth it because the comments (all 996 of them) are all from angry USMC vets posting the dumbest poo poo imaginable, in response.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

sorry HCT I'm not trying to hate your fun I just get these from my grandfather all the time and like ugh

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Sour grapes don't make good wine, but they do make world class whines.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

a large part of marine corp bootcamp is storytime with your DI where you learn how fukken badass marines are

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Zeris posted:

I want to believe this article, go army etc., but it gets pretty bad & turns into an exhaustive list of every fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd:sergeantgrampanazifighter1942@aol.com thread ever, relatively quickly.

Even a basic understanding of the Pacific theatre -> a sick KD:R was great, but attrition only went so far, after all we just wanted landing strips within bombing range of the mainland.

But when "Chinese documents" exonerate soldiers in Korea of their cowardice is the moment when I realize this guy's just got an agenda, and he's old and angry:

etc.

Anyway, it's all worth it because the comments (all 996 of them) are all from angry USMC vets posting the dumbest poo poo imaginable, in response.

Zeris posted:

etc.

Doesn't all that just mean that the Army is retarded when it comes to PR? Also there's no such thing as a Marine chaplain lol.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Zeris posted:

lol yup

but it is worth mentioning that the Army guys at Chosin really did get a raw deal for many decades, due pretty much solely due to accounts of the battle from Marine leadership (as well as that Navy Chaplain who really did write the article that the FWD: FWD: RE: FWD: post makes reference to) describing them as cowards who threw down their guns, didn't fight, etc. It wasn't until the mid to late '90s when some historians dug deeper using, among other things, Chinese archival documents, that the record was righted and it was recognized that without RCT-31/TF Faith holding out for four days on the east side of the reservoir (in the process taking horrendous casualties) the entire Marine force would've likely been wiped out because the Chinese would've captured Hagaru-ri at the south end of the reservoir before the Marines had a chance to reinforce it. O.P. Smith didn't recommend RCT-31 for inclusion with the PUC that was awarded to the units that fought at Chosin...it took until 1999 for them to be awarded the PUC for their role in the battle.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Maybe that dumbass should copy paste your stuff because that's a lot more informative and interesting to read

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How true is the stuff about the Marines needlessly poking Al Sadr? I could easily believe it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

marines didn't have the best kdr on iwo jima but we've been trying to pad our stats there ever since

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

How true is the stuff about the Marines needlessly poking Al Sadr? I could easily believe it.

yeah it pretty much happened exactly as gramps laid out in his blog post:

quote:

Senior officers in Baghdad, as well White House officials who discussed the battle in Washington, say the latest fighting began when a Marine patrol drove directly past one of Mr. Sadr's houses in Najaf -- violating an informal agreement that American units would stay away from Mr. Sadr's strongholds, treating them as part of an ''exclusion zone'' that was at the heart of the cease-fire in the city.

<...>

Marine commanders in Najaf acknowledge that they did little planning for the battle, but say they gambled that they could reach the walls of the Old City so fast that they would outrun the political firestorm sure to result.

''We just did it,'' said Maj. David Holahan, second in command of the Marine unit in Najaf.

something something violence of action something enemy on the horns of a dilemma something something

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Reverand maynard posted:

marines didn't have the best kdr on iwo jima Okinawa but we've been trying to pad our stats there ever since

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Best K\D for Iwo Jima is probably the navy, considering that the island got lit the gently caress up for a few days straight

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah im dumb and got the wrong island

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Booblord Zagats posted:

Best K\D for Iwo Jima is probably the navy, considering that the island got lit the gently caress up for a few days straight

the marines are part of the navy, so that ruins that thought

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I saw a marine girlfriend modeling his lance corporal rank top naked then getting hosed.

Only loving new jacks man....

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Soulex posted:

I saw a marine girlfriend modeling his lance corporal rank top naked then getting hosed.

Only loving new jacks man....

You've never wanted to pound one of your boots?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

CMD598 posted:

Also there's no such thing as a Marine chaplain lol.
I wasn't a marine, so maybe I'm missing something. Is it because it's a dual thing with the Navy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaplain_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

chemosh6969 posted:

I wasn't a marine, so maybe I'm missing something. Is it because it's a dual thing with the Navy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaplain_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

The Chaplain of the Marine Corps (only in existence since 2000) is always a navy guy.
The Marines have no doctors, corpsmen or chaplains because they like the idea that every Marine is a rifleman.
Similarly, there are no staff corps (Navy)/special branch (Army)/professional (Air Force) officers, either.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thump! posted:

You've never wanted to pound one of your boots?

I wear a 9.5 wide. Not nearly small enough for me to feel anything :(

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

The Chaplain of the Marine Corps (only in existence since 2000) is always a navy guy.
The Marines have no doctors, corpsmen or chaplains because they like the idea that every Marine is a rifleman.
Similarly, there are no staff corps (Navy)/special branch (Army)/professional (Air Force) officers, either.

I didn't think it was about "every Marine is a Public Affairs Officer rifleman" but that the Marines are supposed to be either (historically) a security and shore assault force for the Navy or (modern) a lightweight rapid-response expeditionary force and either way, isn't designed to be a self-sufficient military branch.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

I didn't think it was about "every Marine is a Public Affairs Officer rifleman" but that the Marines are supposed to be either (historically) a security and shore assault force for the Navy or (modern) a lightweight rapid-response expeditionary force and either way, isn't designed to be a self-sufficient military branch.

Never tell that to the goddam MAGTF commander. Supposedly it gets them pretty upset

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The AF is the only branch that embraces everyone being militarily worthless and just not wasting money teaching cooks and desk jockeys infantry tactics

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TCNs make way better omelettes than junior enlisted do.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

TCNs make way better omelettes than junior enlisted do.

Best french toast I've had in my life was a CS3.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
All the cooks on my boat did breakfast great.

When they showed up on time and I didn't have to cook as the belowdecks watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Booblord Zagats posted:

Never tell that to the goddam MAGTF commander. Supposedly it gets them pretty upset

magtf commander upon being told that he isn't self sufficient.