Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

What are you using for data/telemetry? I've thought about doing overlay on our car but right now the only thing we have for capturing data is the Aim Solo. Guys asked me if I could do a video feed and telemetry so I've been looking at options....
I actually haven't been, but I have an AccessPort which I can use for car sensor'd stuff, and was planning on getting a smartphone app, TrackAttack, TrackAddict, or Harry's Laptimer. I may end up doing plugging up my OBDLink and just connecting that to whatever app I run. Phone GPS isn't that great because it doesn't update fast enough, but it'll be decent enough for me until when/if I get a trackday only car and start trying to actually race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
So since you have a reading problem. Plug the loving tire. There is no sidewall damage. Of there was it would have bubbles the first time you filled it. People drive on worse for longer. But your not gonna listen to this post just like the others. So just switch the battery terminals and go splash a puddle on some bus riders the filthy poors.

Edit: this is directed a super agro crag. New page and all.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd trust it more than a donut on the interstate.

If it's on the front then rotate it to the back, that way if it does blow out (it won't) then you can at least keep better control of the car. If you know how to handle a flat tire at speed it's really not that big of a deal.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

SouthsideSaint posted:

So since you have a reading problem. Plug the loving tire. There is no sidewall damage. Of there was it would have bubbles the first time you filled it. People drive on worse for longer. But your not gonna listen to this post just like the others. So just switch the battery terminals and go splash a puddle on some bus riders the filthy poors.

Edit: this is directed a super agro crag. New page and all.

Wow dude no need to be a dick. I am just double checking to make sure I won't die god drat. I like to get info from multiple places since it is hard to tell who is more trustworthy, a salesman or a stranger on the internet.

leica posted:

I'd trust it more than a donut on the interstate.

If it's on the front then rotate it to the back, that way if it does blow out (it won't) then you can at least keep better control of the car. If you know how to handle a flat tire at speed it's really not that big of a deal.

I don't have a square wheel setup.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ, unless you're doing 100+ on the way to work you're not going to loving die just plug the loving tire. If you know how to drive, a flat tire at 60/70 isn't going to do a drat thing other than make you pull to the side and put a donut on.

Also think about what the salesman told you and why he would tell you that. He's a loving SALESMAN.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You should be careful not to stress out over this tire so much.

You know what's good for stress right?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Comic books?

Tire is already flat again in less than 2 hours. Dad is going to drop off his air compressor and a can of Slime for me soon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He should probably bring some holy water and snake oil too.

As long as you're pumping poo poo into the tire that won't do poo poo, might as well cover all your bases.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you want to reassure yourself about the strength of the sidewall deflate another tyre and compare how they feel. If one is significantly softer than the other it's hosed.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Is there something else to use to plug a tire instead? I never had to do it before, so IDK.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well that antique welder works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Comic books?

Tire is already flat again in less than 2 hours. Dad is going to drop off his air compressor and a can of Slime for me soon.

I never tried rolling a joint with pages from a comic book but hey, go crazy dude.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo just plug it. I went three years on plugged tires with my first car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Is there something else to use to plug a tire instead? I never had to do it before, so IDK.

An actual tire plug kit. Actually removing the nail from the tire, and plugging it properly.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Victor-Tire-Tool-Box-Kit/14324186

All slime will do is make the tire shop hate you when you go to get a new tire mounted.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

I never tried rolling a joint with pages from a comic book but hey, go crazy dude.

If it's black and white it works okay. Color burns weird and probably gives you cancer.

I was a stupid child.

But at least I knew how to plug a loving tire.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Lol. Yeah go ahead and put slime in it, great idea.

Sometimes I forget that not all AI posters know what the gently caress they're doing, plugging a tire is basic poo poo like changing oil, I don't see what's so drat difficult about it. Look at the youtube video I posted or search and find the million other videos and web pages on how to plug a tire.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Good to know people in the chat thread will still chimp the gently caress out over non issues. <3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

leica posted:

Lol. Yeah go ahead and put slime in it, great idea.

Sometimes I forget that not all AI posters know what the gently caress they're doing, plugging a tire is basic poo poo like changing oil, I don't see what's so drat difficult about it. Look at the youtube video I posted or search and find the million other videos and web pages on how to plug a tire.

Yeah, I never even heard of that until today. Dunno what to tell ya, now I do. Of course I had already filled the tire up with the green goop so too late now either way.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:ohdear:

Hope you enjoy getting a new rim as well....

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

:ohdear:

Hope you enjoy getting a new rim as well....

Jesus is it really that bad? Is it like corrosive or does it just stick to the rim or something? I will either be getting a new tire this weekend if I want to borrow money from my parents and pay them back next weekend or wait two weeks and pay for it myself so it won't be around for long.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just plug your tire for now and see where that gets you. It may or may not fix your issue but it's $10 and worth a shot IMO.

You could also try going to another tire shop and see what they say about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Jesus is it really that bad? Is it like corrosive or does it just stick to the rim or something? I will either be getting a new tire this weekend if I want to borrow money from my parents and pay them back next weekend or wait two weeks and pay for it myself so it won't be around for long.

Would you fix a bad headgasket with instant fix gunk? Or would you do it proper? The goo stuff for tires is about the same way.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Just plug your tire for now and see where that gets you. It may or may not fix your issue but it's $10 and worth a shot IMO.

You could also try going to another tire shop and see what they say about it.

Yeah, the Sears Auto at the mall was the only tire shop I could find open today. Gonna call around tomorrow. They didn't even have my tire in stock and quoted me $260 installed. TireFairTire quoted mew $230 online and TireRack was obviously the cheapest but didn't include any of the fees a shop would charge to mount and balance it, which from my experience equals out the same as just buying the tire at a brick and mortar store.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CommieGIR posted:

Would you fix a bad headgasket with instant fix gunk? Or would you do it proper? The goo stuff for tires is about the same way.

Not to mention it loves to ruin TPMS.

Slime is for emergencies when you have literally no other option (like, say, the manufacturer didn't give you a loving spare). Not when the car is at your drat house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe he should fill the tire with piss?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've heard it's impossible to clean up to the point where an average tire shop will likely refuse to do it, it'll ruin the tire pressure sensor if you have it and unless you follow the directions perfectly it'll likely throw the tire balance out cause the gunk will end up collecting at one end of the tire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/SpJ0lkWwSIE

Testing a 60+ year old welder of unknown make.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

I've heard it's impossible to clean up to the point where an average tire shop will likely refuse to do it, it'll ruin the tire pressure sensor if you have it and unless you follow the directions perfectly it'll likely throw the tire balance out cause the gunk will end up collecting at one end of the tire.

Well I guess I'll add that to the list of my gently caress-ups that I really can't afford. At least I now know that there are actual tire plugs for plugging tires...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, bad oral hygiene doesn't lead to heart attacks, but we thought it did for the longest time, so that information still spreads.

And I wasn't clear earlier, but no, teeth aren't past the BBB, but the upper molars are very close physically to it, and a root infection can go very badly very quickly. One study recently found gingivitis-causing bacteria in the brain of Alzheimer's patients, but they weren't sure if it was a dental health issue, or an Alzheimer's inflammation issue.

Oral health is important for overall health despite the heart disease/teeth connection being debunked. It's just important for other reasons.

E: I was a page behind. Tire plugs are simple things, and have been around for a century. Go do it on an old tire and you'll see how dead simple they are.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ding dong dell

Goon in a well

:toot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

No, bad oral hygiene doesn't lead to heart attacks, but we thought it did for the longest time, so that information still spreads.

And I wasn't clear earlier, but no, teeth aren't past the BBB, but the upper molars are very close physically to it, and a root infection can go very badly very quickly. One study recently found gingivitis-causing bacteria in the brain of Alzheimer's patients, but they weren't sure if it was a dental health issue, or an Alzheimer's inflammation issue.

Oral health is important for overall health despite the heart disease/teeth connection being debunked. It's just important for other reasons.

Not gum disease. Open root/cracked teeth, etc.

quote:

If left untreated, a severe tooth abscess may become large enough to perforate bone and extend into the soft tissue eventually becoming osteomyelitis and cellulitis respectively. From there it follows the path of least resistance and may spread either internally or externally. The path of the infection is influenced by such things as the location of the infected tooth and the thickness of the bone, muscle and fascia attachments.

External drainage may begin as a boil which bursts allowing pus drainage from the abscess, intraorally (usually through the gum) or extraorally. Chronic drainage will allow an epithelial lining to form in this communication to form a pus draining canal (fistula). Sometimes this type of drainage will immediately relieve some of the painful symptoms associated with the pressure.

Internal drainage is of more concern as growing infection makes space within the tissues surrounding the infection. Severe complications requiring immediate hospitalization include Ludwig's angina, which is a combination of growing infection and cellulitis which closes the airway space causing suffocation in extreme cases. Also infection can spread down the tissue spaces to the mediastinum which has significant consequences on the vital organs such as the heart. Another complication, usually from upper teeth, is a risk of septicaemia (infection of the blood) from connecting into blood vessels, brain abscess (extremely rare), or meningitis (also rare).

Depending on the severity of the infection, the sufferer may feel only mildly ill, or may in extreme cases require hospital care.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

Ding dong dell

Goon in a well

:toot:

If we all pee in the well he'll float to the top.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

https://youtu.be/SpJ0lkWwSIE

Testing a 60+ year old welder of unknown make.

I was going to request video, but you beat me to it. You got some stones testing that loving thing inside your garage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I was going to request video, but you beat me to it. You got some stones testing that loving thing inside your garage.

Yeah, I was waiting for the box to burst into flames. Hence the fire extinguisher sitting close at hand.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Not everyone lives in a goon compound with old tires and rusted put cars to practice poo poo on. And I didn't even know legit plugs were a thing. I had always assumed shops plugged it with something similar to the Slime poo poo. Had no idea it was bad. Already applied it so there is no going back now, dunno how that is goon in a well syndrome. You said to plug it so I did. Just happened to use the wrong type of plugging method. You live and learn, so next time this ever happens I'll do it the correct way.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Slime isn't a goddamned plug you loving walnut.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I was waiting for the box to burst into flames. Hence the fire extinguisher sitting close at hand.

First project should obviously be building a new shell and cart :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Not gum disease. Open root/cracked teeth, etc.

Well, that's any infection with that proximity to the bone, or has the possibility for internal drainage (which is your entire body, right?). I thought the popular thinking was there was a direct teeth -> heart disease shortcut, and it was taught that way for years. But in 2012 we had one study and a few metastudies that showed the correlation was unfounded.

Any infection can lead to sepsis, and nearly any one can lead to osteomyelitis. The heart is naturally the center of all circulation, and blood infections are, well, in the circulating blood. Teeth are clearly the closest to bone, so I understand that concern.

I misread the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Dude I literally just said I didn't know the difference. Like 3 times. Just because I didn't know something existed doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it. This is why I belong to this forum, so I can ask questions like the newb that I am. Sorry I am not an expert backyard mechanic like everyone else and know every little thing and tip and trick. Like I stated, now I know the proper way to repair it and will do so in the future. Dunno what else you want from me... :shrug:

• Locked thread