Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Rain is a core feature in racing, where the series allow races in rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Rain races are better than dry races.

:agreed:

I wish all sims had rain.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

njsykora posted:

Rain races are better than dry races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Iaz1-8VC0

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

GhostDog posted:

I put up a practice session. Session settings as they will be in race (200% tire and fuel usage), track is fast as I suspect it will be after practice/qualifying.

Curious, why 200%?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

xzzy posted:

Still can't figure out why sim fans think rain in a race is a core feature for a quality game. It fucks up everything awesome about racing.
Because it adds a certain thrill of being able to drive those conditions and not risk life and limb in the process? Dynamic weather also, at least for endurance races, is kind of neat because it can add pit strategy to the mix where you're trying to plan your pit around the weather showing up.*

* Unless it's PCars when pits were broken as gently caress for months; then it can be miserable.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just like the sound of rain.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wet races in forza 6 are dope

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

Because it adds a certain thrill of being able to drive those conditions and not risk life and limb in the process? Dynamic weather also, at least for endurance races, is kind of neat because it can add pit strategy to the mix where you're trying to plan your pit around the weather showing up.*

* Unless it's PCars when pits were broken as gently caress for months; then it can be miserable.

Not even endurance, it adds strategy thinking to short races where there'd otherwise be none. I did some Ginetta Junior races in PCars a while back and being 10 minutes into a 20 minute race and having done my mandatory stop when it started raining forced me into thinking about whether it would be worth it to try and keep it together on slicks or go back in for wets. It's one of the things rFactor 2 does really well with the dynamic track creating a dry groove which you can run slicks on, but increases the risk if you're going off-line onto the wet track for overtakes. I hope to see more people push for it as more games get dynamic tracks.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Curious, why 200%?

Our races are so short, at 100% tire and fuel is a non-issue, and I'm trying to find a value where a 1-stop strategy might have some use. The problem is I'd have to run a hundred laps per car to find a really good value, so 200% is just an experiment. But since we're going to stay in the Toyota for a while, maybe I can adjust it according to feedback between races.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Automobilista is 20% off. Not a lot, but then again it's rather cheap to begin with.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Did laps of Brands Hatch in Assetto Corsa until I ran out of gas. The physics seem so much better than Project Cars in general.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Results for Race 1:

We need more people next time.

Also, how do we score?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I finally finished a goonrace! :toot: I might not've finished dead last if it weren't for a fly attacking me mid-drift too.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Results for Race 1:

Also, how do we score?

I was wanting to participate but I had plans and had to leave right at 17:30.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I might be able to make it for race 3... or 4... hopefully...

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I uh... I hit the cough syrup a little too hard.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

GhostDog posted:

Results for Race 1:

Also, how do we score?

Apologies for mumble hiccup, haven't used it in a few months but I promise I'm not a lady who's entire vocabulary is limited to 'trial software' or something. I don't even know what trial software she was talking about..? Might have been pointed at voicemeeter input somehow but I had that closed, so maybe she was angry. Didn't think to check on it after I put the headset on :v:

Good race though, even if I scrubbed it up good compared to my qualifying/practice, but first time going wheel to wheel in VR was absolutely epic :toot:

Race 2 still gonna be ae86, or changin' it up?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
ae86 championship bayBE

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I had work meetings. I really did plan on making this one since I loving love the idea of mini championships.

Winner should be able to pick next championship car.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I forgot to do the waking up thing

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

GhostDog posted:

My motherboard is in California. The rest of my computer is in my living room, in Massachusetts.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll try to make next week. Got pretty burnt out on racing games.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I might be able to make it for race 3... or 4... hopefully...

Jamfrost posted:

I uh... I hit the cough syrup a little too hard.

Norns posted:

I had work meetings.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I forgot to do the waking up thing

Kilonum posted:

My motherboard is in California. The rest of my computer is in my living room, in Massachusetts.

Goetta posted:

I'll try to make next week. Got pretty burnt out on racing games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlJ4Bw3N8bg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Does AC work in VR yet?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Does AC work in VR yet?

It works with oculus 1.3, not updated for Vive yet. The main setup menus are not VR, though the in game apps and menus are working.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Phuzun posted:

It works with oculus 1.3, not updated for Vive yet. The main setup menus are not VR, though the in game apps and menus are working.

Sweet thanks, I'll play later then, I always really liked AC in VR

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For anyone interested in doing Assetto Corsa in VR, I highly suggest using Virtual Desktop (I don't know if big screen works the same way in this case, but give it a try as it's free). Put your Rift on and launch Virtual Desktop. Open up assetto corsa and go through the menus like normal. When you go to drive, the rift will automatically switch to running AC in VR. When you quit out back to the menu, it will automatically load back into Virtual Desktop. If you get a black screen, press the oculus button twice on the remote.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Started looking for tracks for the AE86, trying to stay under 2 km (1.25 miles) otherwise people just get lost in the wide expanses. If participation takes up we can switch some longer tracks in, particularly that Suzuka that was linked earlier because it's good.

Kunos:
Vallelunga Club
Magione
Brands Hatch Indy

Mods:
Mills Metro Short
Baskerville
Autodromo Geraldo Backer
Hero Shinoi Circuit (this one I could do with opinions on because I can't decide if it's terrible or not)
Miseluk (a bit long, but is a public street track which I like)

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

For anyone interested in doing Assetto Corsa in VR, I highly suggest using Virtual Desktop (I don't know if big screen works the same way in this case, but give it a try as it's free). Put your Rift on and launch Virtual Desktop. Open up assetto corsa and go through the menus like normal. When you go to drive, the rift will automatically switch to running AC in VR. When you quit out back to the menu, it will automatically load back into Virtual Desktop. If you get a black screen, press the oculus button twice on the remote.

I didn't spend much time trying to use virtual desktop with my dk2 and AC, it didn't work like this for me though. Any idea what the double oculus button push is doing, since I don't have that? Perhaps the same as double xbox one button press?

Also, Assetto Corsa runs way better than Project Cars in VR. Using the Oculus Debug Utility allows you to increase the rendering pixels to make it look easy better too.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Phuzun posted:

I didn't spend much time trying to use virtual desktop with my dk2 and AC, it didn't work like this for me though. Any idea what the double oculus button push is doing, since I don't have that? Perhaps the same as double xbox one button press?

Also, Assetto Corsa runs way better than Project Cars in VR. Using the Oculus Debug Utility allows you to increase the rendering pixels to make it look easy better too.

Yeah, the Oculus button is the same as the xbox one home button.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Phuzun posted:

Actually the latest AC updated added an option in oculus.ini in the cfg folder to force render res without having to use the debug tool.

Really makes a difference though, huh? :) Even just oculus home looks better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phuzun posted:

When was this? Was it a long time ago before Oculus Home came out? I'm not entirely sure why it works this way but I'm glad it does. Pressing the Oculus home button (or the xbox button on an xbox controller) just brings up the Oculus menu that allows you to exit to Home, bring up the IPD adjustment guide and reset the tracking center. Pressing it again goes back to Virtual Desktop and fixes whatever bug it was that caused it to go back to a black screen.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so gsync is amazing. Got myself a 1440p 144hz monitor with Nvidia magic. poo poo is incredible and has breathed new life into my gtx 970. Pcars and Dirt Rally play anywhere between 45-70 fps without any downside. All of it is incredibly smooth.

Good upgrade. Almost like going from HDD to SSD.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

When was this? Was it a long time ago before Oculus Home came out? I'm not entirely sure why it works this way but I'm glad it does. Pressing the Oculus home button (or the xbox button on an xbox controller) just brings up the Oculus menu that allows you to exit to Home, bring up the IPD adjustment guide and reset the tracking center. Pressing it again goes back to Virtual Desktop and fixes whatever bug it was that caused it to go back to a black screen.

Okay, that makes sense since it seemed to begin loading and then quit back to the "desktop". I've only been using my DK2 for racing sims, haven't finished Chronos. And I don't ever use an xbox controller when racing.

Due to upcoming schedule changes, I might be able to join in some goon races on Sundays. Anything is better than the a.i. in Assetto Corsa. Don't even think about racing cars with the same model as your own, they will ride right into you until you lose enough time that an overtake won't happen.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hey so gsync is amazing. Got myself a 1440p 144hz monitor with Nvidia magic. poo poo is incredible and has breathed new life into my gtx 970. Pcars and Dirt Rally play anywhere between 45-70 fps without any downside. All of it is incredibly smooth.

Good upgrade. Almost like going from HDD to SSD.

Which monitor did you get?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Goetta posted:

Which monitor did you get?

Acer XB271hu

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Assetto Corsa:
    Sunday 06/05, 20:00 GMT
    Toyota AE86 Tuned (street tires) at Brands Hatch Indy
    Qualifying/Practice: 19:30
    Race: 20:15, 25 laps (ca. 25 mins)
    200% tire wear and fuel usage

Went with Brands because everybody knows it/it's quick to learn. I suspect some people don't have much time to learn a new track this weekend.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I will have my motherboard back either Friday or Monday. Even if I get it Friday, no guarantee that my computer will be working on Sunday.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I'm out of town again so someone else will have to finish last and crash into people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Welp, I'm out. Won't be home to sign for the motherboard, so I'm waiting until Monday.