Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Grammaton posted:

Imagine a team of 6 Zenyattas. Everyone has a healing orb on him. Every enemy has a debuff.

imagine being soldier 76 or tracer or widowmaker facing this team

im hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one zenyatta works and is very good depending on your team composition

six zenyattas can only work if the other team is phenomenally bad

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My only complaint with this game right now is the balance of the support classes.

Symmetra is obviously not a healer, they need to make her turrets provide passive healing or something.

Lucio and Mercy are the only ones that feel like 'true' healers in that they have the mobility/range to get to injured teammates and provide substantial healing.

That's the issue with Zenyatta (aside from the incredibly poo poo health, which makes any class ambushing him instant death). He simply can't do anything but die if a Winston/Tracer/Reaper/whatever gets in his face while his teammates are otherwise busy. Lucio can speed up and try to run, wallriding to safety. Mercy can try to fly away. Zenyatta has a painfully slow walk back from the spawn room.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Why does everyone want to make "support" mean "healbot"?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Grammaton posted:

Imagine a team of 6 Zenyattas. Everyone has a healing orb on him. Every enemy has a debuff.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have done this. It does not end well.

Same on a Dorado map. It was a short match, but funny as hell. :unsmith:

At least we actually moved the payload to the second turn. :v:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
It might be kind of intersting if Zenyatta's debuff was to enemy DPS rather than enemy damage taken. That would provide some escape, and might be more useful (when combined with the friendly healing orb).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Who doesn't? Healing is real handy.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
pls make widow only silhouette people currently in her scope namaste

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Lady Naga posted:

So that when symettra is picked people don't go 'oh good i can play hanzo now instead of a healer'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Healing as a character role is dumb and bad and almost always the worst thing about every game it is in.

ImPureAwesome posted:

So that when symettra is picked people don't go 'oh good i can play hanzo now'

You say that like people who pick Hanzo need a reason to allow themselves to do so.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jimbot posted:

Who doesn't? Healing is real handy.

There are already two healers, there are other unique and fun things you can do within the categorization of support without just slapping on a powerful heal. I really hope that once they release a few more characters they add subclasses to each role so people stop whining about it.

chumbler posted:

Healing as a character role is dumb and bad and almost always the worst thing about every game it is in.

I love healing in MMOs because I get to be an asset to the team without learning the maps or worrying about mobs :kiddo:
The fast queues are just icing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I think it's fun

Sniping is a lot less interesting

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

while the Genji on the enemy team will always be Frank Jaeger incarnate.

check out this sick Genji PoTG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59RpoI4ieAw&t=480s

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I hate repeating myself but I would probably enjoy playing Mercy a lot if her equipment sounded a lot more impactful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

There are already two healers, there are other unique and fun things you can do within the categorization of support without just slapping on a powerful heal. I really hope that once they release a few more characters they add subclasses to each role so people stop whining about it.

I just wish they'd have "support" and "healer" as two different categories so people wouldn't get mad that there's no healer, but then be happy when someone switches to Symmetra.

Also healers are fun and I wish they'd add more :3:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mercy is by far my favorite character, so gently caress people who say healing is boring

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

I think part of it is that, particularly on consoles, it's still a new game and Symetra and Zenyatta are more difficult to use effectively than Mercy and Lucio.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

In a perfect world Symettra would be in defense, Zarya would be in support, Zenyatta would be good and people would know having more than one support is a good thing, but alas League of Legends ruined everyones brain.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
:yeah: to whoever was saying follow the loot train, I got Torb's pirate skin and started playing him, GEEZ does he do some surprising damage. It's rough actually hitting someone with his primary fire since the drop is so bad, but his secondary fire is incredible in close range and the armor packs are really, really helpful for someone like Zenyatta or Widowmaker.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Sym and Zen being support alongside the more obvious Mercy and Lucio can be a bit odd. The latter two are pretty clearly there for healing and buffs, but the first two are kind of disjointed by comparison. The Swedish Dwarf is a bit odd in that respect too, given he's classed as a builder but has a really solid (:haw:) buff ability and is hamstrung if you rely on the turret.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

I love healing in MMOs because I get to be an asset to the team without learning the maps or worrying about mobs :kiddo:
The fast queues are just icing.

For all the complaining I do about Symmetra, I'd be fine if they left her kit the same except making her E something more useful and less busywork-y. I do agree that having a Support being pure healing would be dumb but having a Support without healing is just as dumb. I'd say a team really only needs one support, two is icing. But when it comes to Symmetra you'll always need another.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
They should also make it so that reviving teammates causes a giant pillar of light to erupt into the sky with sweet-rear end sound effects.

I am like 90% sure the class distinctions will make a whooooole lot more sense once they add more heroes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Weird but symmetra and zenyatta are already good, just harder to play than mercy or Lucio

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

:yeah: to whoever was saying follow the loot train, I got Torb's pirate skin and started playing him, GEEZ does he do some surprising damage. It's rough actually hitting someone with his primary fire since the drop is so bad, but his secondary fire is incredible in close range and the armor packs are really, really helpful for someone like Zenyatta or Widowmaker.

If you get good at using his primary fire it's pretty great though.

I fought against this one Torb who was obviously way better than any of the rest of us, and he probably sniped more headshots than the Widowmaker.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Jimbot posted:

I'd say a team really only needs one support, two is icing. But when it comes to Symmetra you'll always need another.
Zenyatta on his own will have a very hard time keeping people up, as well. I've had a lot of success with Zen/Lucio on a team, Lucio's passive healing keeps people up while Zen can add additional healing to people getting focused while he sticks his borb on enemies and proceeds to countersnipe dumb hanzos.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Like once they add two or three more dudes where healing isn't their primary thing people will be like "oh, so having more than one support is good and cool, awesome".

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Zenyatta is my favorite character design, and I actually had a decent game with him yesterday, but I wish he was a bit better!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Andrast posted:

Mercy gets her ult up really fast. When I started playing Mercy I was really conservative with it and now half my resses are a like one guy.

There's really no point in saving it when you are going to have it up on the next push anyway.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/05/25/optimal1

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I cannot believe Penny Arcade is still going on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zenyatta can heal people but it's not his only role like with mercy. he supports other healers really well but he doesn't work as the only one on the team. he deals good damage and can increase the damage other people do while helping your mercy or lucio keep people alive. he's a more generalized support that can rotate roles easily as needed

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How long does the leaver exp penalty last? Didn't even know that was a thing and I dropped out of a bunch of matches today because holy poo poo stop putting me on Hollywood game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I do wonder if the game would be better or worst were you to lose your Ultimate charge on death.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Zenyatta on his own will have a very hard time keeping people up, as well. I've had a lot of success with Zen/Lucio on a team, Lucio's passive healing keeps people up while Zen can add additional healing to people getting focused while he sticks his borb on enemies and proceeds to countersnipe dumb hanzos.

This is true, but he can at least heal and bounce his orb around. It's a heck of a lot better than 25 regenerating health. That 25 helps Zenyatta something fierce but otherwise I haven't found it very useful, to be honest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

poptart_fairy posted:

I do wonder if the game would be better or worst were you to lose your Ultimate charge on death.

Worse, the game would become an insane snowball and also it'd feel a lot worse to die (I have the hours in medic and emotional scars to prove this). I think ult charges too quickly across the board but ult loss on death would be pretty miserable.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

It would be atrocious. Ultimates are already kinda snowbally as they are: winning a teamfight decisively means that you've got a significant amount of an ultimate leg-up on your opponents as it is, and completely losing your ultimate on death would swing that even further in favor of the "winning" team.

Ultimates are also there to smooth out rough patches in play. The majority of ultimates in the game are very fire-and-forget and require minimal twitch targeting. Even if your gameplay is off in that particular round and you're dying left and right, you can still bust out a good Junkrat ultimate and help your team get to the finish line. Losing your ult charge on death would make games where you're doing badly feel even worse.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 30, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

Worse, the game would become an insane snowball and also it'd feel a lot worse to die (I have the hours in medic and emotional scars to prove this). I think ult charges too quickly across the board but ult loss on death would be pretty miserable.

I am fully char-UAAAAAUGH *fizzle*

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can someone tell me how demanding this thing is for net strength? Like, if my Internet dips and disconnects while playing Dota 2, should I even bother?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried asking earlier with no answer, so here goes again

What are the best maps/situations for Reaper? I've finally gotten the white mariachi outfit so it's time to reap, but on every map I have a hard time picking him since I feel like I'd do a better job with other heroes (mostly Junkrat).

Attack? Defense? KotH? Assault? Payload?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Your Computer posted:

I tried asking earlier with no answer, so here goes again

What are the best maps/situations for Reaper? I've finally gotten the white mariachi outfit so it's time to reap, but on every map I have a hard time picking him since I feel like I'd do a better job with other heroes (mostly Junkrat).

Attack? Defense? KotH? Assault? Payload?

Dealing with tanks and assorted backline annoyances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Play Symmetra and see how things feel when you have no ultimate charging while your current one is up. Apply that to every hero.