Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
What did you fuckin sacrifice to the dark lords for this luck!? Fuckin A

Also. Asriel, Ursa, Realga, Stardust, Nadia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results are:

quote:

Tyler: 11
Phoebe: 7
Jackie: 5
Ursa: 5
Nadia: 4

Colette: 3
Asriel: 3
Sophie: 2
Stardust: 2
Rheine: 1
Realga: 1
Freyja: 1

Anyone not listed has no votes.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Five votes for Milly, because it feels like we never use her

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Another five votes for Milly. If she's not gonna be helping the guild obliterate bosses with obscene ease, then she's gonna have to put in some leg work and explore like the rest of 'em.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Five votes for Ursa I wanna see the bear

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Tyler x5.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that was still a pretty nice stomp of a boss fight. Melee alchemists are surprisingly viable.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Rheine x5

Because princess is the best class.

Glazius posted:

Wow, that was still a pretty nice stomp of a boss fight. Melee alchemists are surprisingly viable.

This is about where they start falling off a little bit, but if you have a chaser party they're still ridiculous because by themselves they can enable a bunch of chases. Compression is just a really powerful buff for single targets, and it's what keeps the formula alchemists rolling.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Voting is closed...much to my chagrin. Why, you may ask?

quote:

Tyler: 16
Ursa: 10
Milly: 10
Rheine: 6

Nadia: 4
Asriel: 3
Colette: 3

Anyone not listed has no votes.

I have both Phoebe and Ursa on the same team, two buffing supports, and Tyler and Rheine with only the Preludes for setup for Spear Assist or Link Order. This should be interesting.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Looks like it's time to respec Ursa as a claw Beast! :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 43: A Castle in the Stars

Okay, new rule: we are done picking parties by drawing straws.
I hate agreein' with Milly... But she's right. Somethin' tells me we're gonna regret this.
Eh. Between the bear's claws and my shield, we'll be fine.
Rrer!
I would've appreciated at least a brief respite...

This party sucks and I hate you all. At least I'm only stuck with this for two floors, and we don't have any Ginnungagap to do this time.

Phoebe is largely unchanged, aside from maxing out Sentinel Guard. If you haven't read the Protector post yet, Sentinel Guard reduces all damage to the party for one turn, in addition to setting the party's defensive values (VIT, DEF, etc.) to the same as the caster's. The downside, though, is that it disables all other shield skills for one turn.

Ursa has been considerably reskilled. Because having both her as a tank and Phoebe on the same team would be redundant, I opted to instead invest in her claw skills--which are all pretty much trash, but whatever, better than nothing.

Tyler is basically no different. I ran out of points to put into Phys ATK Up, so I put some points in HP Up.

Milly has some more points in Song Mastery, and has maxed out Skanda Ensemble, which increases the turn speed of buffed allies for one turn. It's fairly useful for ensuring slower party members, like Hexers, act before enemies.

Rheine literally has not changed.

Incidentally, buy a ton of Blast Grenades before exploring the Heavenly Keep. Trust me.

Ye gods, this is the floatin' castle? Looks more like a less-rundown Ginnungagap instead.
So... Did the Duchy give us anything for finding this place?
No. Our mission is to acquire the Grail of Kings--to save the Duke.
Greaaaaat. Gods dammit, I was hoping to book it as soon as they beat that giant bird.

Least the Overlord knows how to make a place look classy.

Forest Bat
HP: 486, STR: 37, TEC: 28, VIT: 28, AGI: 42, LUC: 28
Skills:
  • Harsh Buzz: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict head bind on the party, with a 30% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Bat Fangs. 40% chance. Sells for 601 en. 3 needed to make Exorcist Vambrace (+25 DEF, +10 HP). 6 needed to make Sonic Claw (+140 ATK). 1 Bat Fang and 1 Ironwood needed to make Dotanuki (+148 ATK).
    "Fangs of a bat living deep in the forest. Commonly used for making new weapons."
Damage resistances:
100% 125% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 100% 100% 50% 100% 150% 50%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

A seemingly harmless forest resident, though some claim it transforms into a terrible monster!

Forest Bats are a nuisance to most parties and big threats to parties with multiple caster classes (Medics, Alchemists, War Magi, Sovereigns) because of Harsh Buzz. There's one other big thing about them, but we'll see it later.

I guess one of the nice things about stacking two buffing supports is that I can raise everyone's damage and raise the front line's defense in the same turn, before any enemies can act.

Our front line being made up of three very durable classes, one of which is a Protector, is kind of nice as well.

Right through the sides!

GrrrOOR!

If there's only front line enemies, too, Tyler and Ursa can generally either kill them all or whittle them down pretty heavily.

I want Phoebe to learn Parry, so I start investing in Phys DEF Up. Level 1 unlocked Provoke, which I don't care about.

The hell are these doors made from? They've got light pulsin' through 'em.

Okay, who pissed off that thing?
Rrr...
It resembles a Byeah, but far less comical and with two...swords made of light?
This place is givin' me a headache now...

Sky Metal Knights patrol a preset path, but will aggro you if you enter their cone of sight, and then pursue you until you leave the room.

This one's easy to dodge because of that small impassable pillar, but I wanted to map out the other side first.

That plant seems...evil.
How the hell can yeh tell?

Mandrake
HP: 456, STR: 36, TEC: 29, VIT: 28, AGI: 31, LUC: 30
Skills:
  • Last Cry: Does nothing for one turn. Can be interrupted by Blast Grenades, which will stop the skill and stun the enemy for one turn. Uses the head. Attempts to instantly kill the entire party, with a 120% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Mandrake Root. 35% chance. Sells for 608 en. 1 needed to make Lochaber (+138 ATK). 5 needed to make Rune Circlet (+30 DEF). 20 needed to make Mandrake Pin (Immunity to instant death). 3 Mandrake Roots and 2 Black Carapaces needed to make Awl Pike (+135 ATK).
    "Mandrake root shaped like a human leg. Eerie, and said to draw bad luck."
  • Conditional: Bound Root (Kill while fully bound). 100% chance. Sells for 1880 en. 1 needed to make Queen's Whip (+213 ATK, +10 Force gain).
    "A root bound so firmly as to be immobile. The Mandrake's power is sealed within."
  • Ingredient: Mandrake Leaf. 1-3 given. 1 needed to make Stone Galette (Western Food 5; +10 TEC). 5 needed to make Nozuchi Soup (Chinese Food 5; forces ailments/binds to wear off after 3 turns). 2 needed to make Zhulongbao (Chinese Food 5; +80% head bind resistance).
    "Grows at the tip."
Damage resistances:
125% 100% 100% 125% 50% 50%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50%
50% 0% 50%
50% 50% 50%

A plant whose shriek is said to bring death to those who hear it.

Mandrakes are why I said you should bring tons of Blast Grenades with you to the 5th Stratum. Last Cry is basically guaranteed instant death if the Mandrake gets it off...but that's something that shouldn't happen, since you should have Blast Grenades. Don't be like me my first few times playing the game, and not bring Blast Grenades, meaning any encounter with a Mandrake was a race to kill it on the first turn.

Mandrakes were considerably worse in the original EO2, where Last Cry (called Shriek there) was only a 35% base chance, but didn't require a turn be spent charging it, and even worse, the Mandrake AI in that game gave them a 50% chance to use it when the player was blindsided.

Gem Lizard
HP: 655, STR: 41, TEC: 30, VIT: 32, AGI: 33, LUC: 28
Skills:
  • Headbutt: Uses the head. Deals 160% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member. Attempts to stun the target, with a 40% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Plum Hide. 45% chance. Sells for 619 en. 1 needed to make Dead Whip (+126 ATK). 3 needed to make Reptile Cuirass (+57 DEF). 9 Plum Hides and 1 Blue Carapace needed to make Ninetails (+138 ATK).
    "A coarse, plum colored hide. With proper treatment, it makes weapons or armor."
  • Conditional: Blue Head Gem (Kill while head is bound). 80% chance. Sells for 1650 en. 1 needed to make Glow Brace (+20 HP, +30 TP).
    "Stone taken by binding the lizard's head. It can be used to make a protective bracelet."
  • Ingredient: Jewel Skirt. 1-4 given. 3 needed to make Triple Salisbury (Western Food 5; restores 3% max HP, 1% max TP at end of turn). 4 needed to make Zhulongbao (Chinese Food 5; +80% head bind resistance). 3 needed to make Gem Nikogori (Japanese Food 5; quadruples inflict chance of disable items).
    "Cut from the plump belly."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 125% 50% 50% 50%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 50% 100% 50% 100% 100%
100% 100% 0%
100% 100% 100%

A reptilian creature with a perfect gem embedded in its head.

Gem Lizards are a pretty big nuisance. For one thing, they cut all elemental damage in half...not that it matters for this party. Secondly, Headbutt both deals not-insignificant damage, and can stun, which can really suck if they stun the wrong person. It's not AS likely as it could be, since their LUC is kind of on the low end and the base chance is 40%, but you should still be wary of it.

Brrgh!

If there's one thing I can give to stacking both a Protector and Beast in the same party, it's that Ursa is incredibly difficult to kill.

Something tells me plants don't normally suck in that much air.

Ursa's semi-low AGI and LUC along with claws having -1 base accuracy compared to swords means her missing is a bit more common compared to everyone else.

I don't wanna know what that plant was breathing in for.

Just keep some Blast Grenades on you at all times, and Mandrakes shouldn't pose much of a threat.

Somethin' tells me we're not gonna be able to give this one the ol' loop-de-loop.

I can't get past that Sky Metal Knight without killing it, so back to the other one we go.

Heheh, this one's almost--

Aw crap.

Oh poo poo, oh gently caress.

Run run run!

That tin can's blocking the way!

Eh. We'll know better...next time...
Grror...
Don't let the Overlord...get me...

The attack buff part of Slaughter Blade is just insult to injury.

Now is not our time! Quickly!

You wanna try carrying three bodies all the way back to the Pole with this thing on us, or do you just wanna Thread out?
The latter.

Back we go.

Alright, let's try this again.

In basically every EO game, the rule of thumb with FOEs that take one step for every step you take is that, if there's a small pillar like the one here, you have to lead the FOE around the pillar to progress.

Once you've gotten the Sky Metal Knight to loop around the pillar, you're good.

Fantastic.

We now have two Sky Metal Knights to get around.

This is what you DON'T want to do: aggro both of them at once.

Thankfully, with the two of them in those positions as I enter the room, I can just run straight to the door.

Aw gently caress, the ONE enemy I didn't want to see with this party.

Iron Tortoise
HP: 2073, STR: 50, TEC: 35, VIT: 38, AGI: 21, LUC: 37
Skills:
  • Cripple: Uses the legs. Deals 150% melee STR-based Bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms and legs, with a 40% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 110 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Black Carapace. 75% chance. Sells for 1300 en. 1 needed to make Safeguard (+43 DEF). 3 Mandrake Roots and 2 Black Carapaces needed to make Awl Pike (+135 ATK). 5 Black Carapaces and 2 Coal Bones needed to make Black Collar (+61 DEF).
    "Blue-black carapace covered in spikes. Its hardness makes it difficult to shape."
  • Ingredient: Tortoise Meat. 3-6 given. 3 needed to make Triple Salisbury (Western Food 5; restores 3% max HP, 1% max TP at end of turn). 5 needed to make Tortoise Takikomi Gohan (Japanese Food 5; 80% chance to add 7 levels to a Grimoire upon generation).
    "Tender meat in a hard shell."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 125% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 100% 50% 50%
50% 50% 0%
100% 50% 100%

Centuries-old and still as violent a hunter as it ever was!

This party legitimately cannot kill this thing before it kills them. Cripple hurts far too much and arm binds completely shut down everyone on the front line. My only option here is to run--any time I run into an Iron Tortoise with this party, I just run.

Flee!

I apologize if it seems like I'm not even making an effort, but trust me, these things are a pain to deal with even with good parties.

The hell is this? A nest made outta bird spit?
You better keep that thing away from me.

This is a chop point, incidentally.

SYSTEM: The front of the box displays pictures of three strange-looking dishes. Under each image is a glowing protrusion with a name. You are curious about the machine, and tempted to push the protrusions with the names written on them.
So, uh, what's this thing got written on it?
I'm unfamiliar with this ancient script, unfortunately.
Lemme see. Hmm... "Dark chicken soup," "Muddy miso soup," and "Srimuang tom yum goong."
Those last two just sound like gibberish. How about that chicken one?
SYSTEM: You cautiously press on the protrusion, which elicits a chirping sound followed by a deep growling noise from somewhere!
Grrr... Rrr?
SYSTEM: Though you draw your weapons out of caution, all that emerges from the giant box is a paper container of warm soup! A delicious smell wafts from it, causing your stomachs to gurgle. Yet it is missing something; there are no ingredients in it.
What kinda chicken soup doesn't have any chicken?!
SYSTEM: You examine the picture of the dish closely and see that it uses the breast meat of a black chicken. But as you have no such ingredient, you simply sip the soup as is. The taste is slightly bland, but the soup's warmth seeps through your body, melting away your fatigue!

SYSTEM: You look to the box again and find that the pictures have vanished. It now only displays the words, “That's all for today!" It seems you may return here for more soup tomorrow... You think it might be a good idea to mark this place on your map as you return to exploring with a fuller stomach.

W E L P

loving GREAT.

Rrrgh...

Strong turtle...

This is why drawing straws is a terrible idea!

If I die one tile away from the Geomagnetic Pole I swear to loving god

Get outta the way!

That was closer than I would've liked.

Lochaber (+138 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Mandrake Root.

Dead Whip (+126 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Plum Hide.

Metal Tweed (+44 DEF) is unlocked by selling 1 Gum String.

I could take the stairs, but there's one area I want to map.

Tyler got a level up from a boring random encounter, which just goes into HP Up.

SYSTEM: Clad in fine armor, and with a sword resting at its side, you conclude that this must be the remains of an adventurer. It looks like it's been here a long time. Perhaps another explorer reached the flying castle before your arrival?
Aw, what? We weren't the first ones up here?
SYSTEM: Something stirs in your memory. You recall something Cass told you... Indeed, before the Labyrinth is discovered, there was an adventurer who set out to reach the castle in the sky. Perhaps this skeleton is what remains of the explorer Cass spoke of.
What an amazing person, traversing the Labyrinth up to the castle on their own...
SYSTEM: If you think this skeleton is what remains of Cass's old friend, then you can leave the coin here to settle his debt...
Seems pretty clear to me.
SYSTEM: You kneel to place the coin in its hand, and find it grasping a scrap of parchment. As you scan it, you realize you were correct... It appears to be a letter, likely written shortly before death...and it's addressed to Cass himself!
Bingo.

SYSTEM: You leave the gold coin in the skeleton's hand in exchange for the parchment, and offer a silent prayer. You set the parchment carefully in your bag, and take your leave of the place.

I have made a very big mistake. Remember how the Ladybug enemies would summon other enemies if they were alone?

What is THAT?!

Forest Bats do the same.

Except infinitely worse.

I hate...this castle...
This isn't how I pictured it...

Uh-oh. The swirling red vortex is back. Time to fix everything.

Cursed Knights are FOEs from the next floor that you really don't want to screw with. They have 62 STR, and to give you an idea of their primary gimmick, Dark Blade inflicts blind on targets it doesn't kill...and it has a 200% base chance. The Cursed Knight's other skill inflicts instant death on hit targets if it doesn't kill them, again, with a 200% base chance. The gimmick there is that it has 1 base accuracy--but remember, blind disables evasion. You also can't bind its arms--it's immune to arm binds. F U N.

Let's pretend nothing happened, and we just proceeded normally after giving the coin to the skeleton.

Another chop point.

I used the stairs at this point to reset my encounter meter.

Those who have fallen to earth. What are your feelings on the dispensation of nature?
Bwuh?
Was that even a sentence?
The...disposal of nature?
SYSTEM: The question perplexes you, but the mysterious voice has not finished speaking...
The dispensation of nature is death. Those who live will one day die. It is inexorable. What if you could defy it, however...thereby overthrowing death itself?
Who cares?
Turnin' into a monster doesn't sound much like defyin' death to me.
I have researched the problem of death for many aeons. You shall be put to good use. The greater one's vitality, the more effective the sacrifice...
In yer drat dreams. Yeh ain't takin' me, dead or alive!
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice falls silent once again. You have no choice but to press onward...
Heh. I must've gotten t' him.
I'm sure this weirdo with a god complex was totally intimidated. Yeah.

Before we return, there's something we missed...
SYSTEM: It seems to have been neglected for years, but it somehow manages to catch your interest. Though pressing it seems to accomplish nothing, before long a disembodied voice sounds.
Listen, all of you. Our...country has completely...vanished... Our old home...has no more meaning... A new leader must now... I... I will create an ark...new utopia...
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice abruptly ends there. You cock your head, marveling at the strange phenomenon, before returning to your quest.
Brrh?
I'm as weirded out as the bear is.
What was that about a country completely vanishin'?
I have an idea as to what this might be, but... No, never mind.

Well, that was certainly a thing.

Reptile Cuirass (+57 DEF) is unlocked by selling 3 Plum Hides.

Oh, yeh're back. Did...did yeh find anythin'?
A skeleton. In the floating castle.
The skeleton had this letter on its person.
...? This is... Heh. That bastard. Waitin' til now to send me any kinda word...downright rude. ...Heh! At the end of the letter, the kid reminds me to pay off my end of the debt...! Well... I shouldn't call her a kid.
Hrr?
...Hey, Lumen. I talked about my bet, yeah? If she won, I'd give her one gold coin. That's all. If I won...she was gonna help me run the Stickleback Bar, and settle down to start a life with me.
Ahh, now I get it. I see what the point 'a this was.
...Nice girl, huh? Did what she wanted, didn't care what anyone said, and was a drat fine swordswoman to boot. ...Guess that's why I fell for her. ...Well, yeh won, yeh dumb kid. I paid off my end of the bet.
Crrs...
That's...
...Thanks, Lumen. 'Cause of yeh, I kept my promise. Well! That's enough gloom and grumblin'. Here, yer reward...!
N-no need. W-we already...got one...
Bwrrrrhrhrhrrr!
Oh, great, Tyler and the bear are sobbing like babies now.
Wh--What're yeh talkin' about, “yeh already got one"!? Bah! Yeh chumps! Guess I can't help myself... Maybe I've just got a soft spot for crazy folks. Ah, I don't know why I put up with yeh! Take this and get goin' already! Haw haw haw!

A good reward for a simple quest.

I do like that the game gives Cass a little bit of backstory, even if it's just in the confines of one quest. It's part of why he's my favorite bartender/quest giver in the EO series.

In any case, time for town dialogue.

You found the castle, right? An honest-to-goodness legend! Can you imagine my surprise when I heard that!?
Kinda, maybe? As neat as it is, it's just yer average Tuesday for us.
You children are incredible! I always knew you could do it! Great job! I'm so proud of all of you! You can't take a step outside without hearing all about your adventures! When I went to go get some supplies a little while ago, I heard them talking about how some explorers found the castle! You should have seen their faces when I told them that I actually know those explorers in person. Bahaha! You're still exploring the castle, right? Well, remember to look after yourselves, alright, dears?

Fairly decently... Aside from the giant off-pink tortoises. Those are giving us a great deal of trouble.
I'm so glad that the ones to find the castle were the people I've gotten to know so well! Whenever someone asks me about it, I can't help but brag about all your adventures you've shared with me. So please, keep coming to our shop...and tell me more stories!

Oh, I know. Why don't you tell me about your travels, then.
Any real reason why?
...Well, there's been a lot of customers lately that want to hear stories about you. It's a bit annoying when I'm busy with all the cooking...but I suppose it's not too bad.
Tryin' to engage the customers more. I can get behind that.

Campaigns. Why are two of them missing, you may ask?

That's why.

A giant group plus a festival equals cash for Eddy.

I heard the Grand Duchy sent some guards up there... Think they'll be all right?
Uh, why do yeh ask?
...What do yeh mean “why"? I'm worried 'cause not all the guards are as strong as yeh. And plus, the flyin' castle...well, it's flyin', right? Hey, quit smirking! I'm gettin' to my point. Something that huge is just floating in the sky... And from what I hear, the thing's ancient! If an army of folks just waltzes on into a flyin' clunker like that...yeh don't think it'll just plummet, do yeh?
Well, that is certainly a terrifying thought...
See, I'm worried 'cause yeh lot might get caught in it if it happens. Ain't I got a heart of gold? Oh, but if it does happen, don't go bringin' the whole thing down on my head! Haw haw haw!

Exhausted Tramonte:

Cass. Brandy Stimulant, pronto.
Whoa!? M-My nose...! Gah, what is that? I'm tearing up!!! H-Huh...? Wait, when did I get back to the bar? I remember I was fighting against the Cursed Knight all day... Did you come to wake me up again?
Brngor.
Sorry for always causing you trouble. Today, I was actually trying to get a Bound Shard. Geez, those Cursed Knights are strong... I had to get him while his head was bound..,but he was really tough. I wonder if Lilly will like this? Tch, I dunno... She probably can't eat this...but I think it'll be fine for her!
EAT it?! What the gently caress?!
Tyler! We are in a public place!
How else am I supposed t' respond t' being told a girl eats shards of a monster's armor?!

I want to know how, exactly, Tramonte not only managed to kill a Cursed Knight, but get its conditional too.

Freckled boy:

Oh, Lumen... Geez, don't you guys ever stop and take a rest or anythin'...? I mean, I was supposed to be the one that discovered the flying castle!

Oh, right, I need to send the Byeahs on a foraging mission after I finish talking to everyone.

If you have the time, would you care to try some tea? A neighboring country has just sent us some exquisite new blends.
That sounds absolutely heavenly after today. I accept your request, Minister!
...Hm? There seems to be a smudge on your sleeve. See, just here. Would you like me to have some new clothes prepared for you?
Oh, that's not necessary. I have several more dresses, all similar yet distinct from this one.
Yeh've spend more on yer wardrobe that I have on spears.
Hm? Oh, this is nothing. It is only natural to provide all accommodations for the heroes of High Lagaard. Ah, here they are now. Follow her to the changing room. We shall talk once you have changed. I'll hear no protests, now.
Well, if you insist...
Well then, Guild Lumen, we will meet again shortly. I expect great things from you.

Here are the intermediate results of the Byeahs' virtuous mission.

Melputteh (+132 ATK) is unlocked by selling 4 Gum Strings.

Iron Saker (+131 ATK, +5 VIT) is unlocked by selling 1 Light Chip.

Virtuous mission complete!

Here yeh go, ten bundles of not-wood.
Hrm. Good work. I did say this would be ideal, but I hardly imagined you would actually gather this much. I suppose I should have expected as much from the guild that reached even the castle in the sky. I'm glad to have asked you. Normally we wouldn't rely on explorers to this extent, but since it's for their sake as well, I can hardly object. ...When someone freezes, we usually find them first thing in the morning. I'd rather not wake up to that, hm? Anyways, I appreciate your cooperation. I left your reward with Cass already. Please collect it when you feel ready. Goodbye, then.

Oh, yeh're back. How was it?
We probably saved a bunch of people from freezin' to death this winter. So, nothin' big.
Hah, makes sense. Even the finest wine freezes in a Lagaardian winter... Probably a good idea to make sure we're prepared. ...That lady puts in requests, but when the explorers aren't up to snuff, she barges in and starts yellin' at me! She got named second-in-command to some order of knights off in another country. Yeh don't want to get her angry. Don't get me mixed up in this! I ain't dealin' with her. Yeh're the only ones I could send to take care of this. Well, yeh did a good job. Here, take yer reward! I'll be seeing yeh next time!

We get more Metopons, Unihorns, and EXP for turning in 10 Ironwoods.

Song Mastery now gives a 90% speed increase to song skills instead of 80%.

White Noble's static heal now heals for 3 more.

I turned in those earlier quests to make room in our quest log for these new ones (ignoring The beautiful princess and The Test of Courage).

Healing innovations:

Ah, that quest... It's from the same hospital as before. Yeh'd be perfect to handle this one. I haven't got the details, but I hear they've discovered some kinda new medication. The Trader shop's plannin' on lendin' them a hand, so maybe it'll give the economy a little kick as well... Anyways, head to the Sitoth Trading. They can tell yeh more there. G'luck!

We'll get on that in a bit.

Adventurers' Bond:

Takin' that one, are yeh? It comes from a pretty experienced bunch. They were gonna just take care of it themselves, originally, but things got messy, and now they need a hand. The client's over there, drinkin', so ask him about the details, awright?

Again, we'll get on that in a bit.

I retook The Test of Courage for reasons I...don't entirely remember, upon reflection, so we'll take on Small comforts later.

No. We took on that quest--the one about new medicine, or something?
Ohh, you came for the quest! Hee hee, it always feels like a weight off my shoulders when you're the ones helping us! So, about the request... Right now, the healers at the Hospital are trying to develop a new kind of medicine. But the ingredients they have now aren't all that potent, so we'd like to help them out by supplying something more effective. And we've heard that there could be some amazing materials somewhere in the flying castle! I'd like to ask you to bring back 1 Life Honey, if that's okay. Life Honey can be gathered by Taking. Once you gather it, please sell it to the store. I'm sorry we have to keep coming to you for help, but please do your best...oh, and make sure to come back safe!
No need to worry about our safety for this--we have the Byeahs for this kind of need.

We'll watch the Byeahs' Second Virtuous Mission, plus 22F, next time!

I cannot wait to be free of this party.

Rea fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 26, 2016

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Mandrakes are why I said you should bring tons of Blast Grenades with you to the 5th Stratum. Last Cry is basically guaranteed instant death if the Mandrake gets it off...but that's something that shouldn't happen, since you should have Blast Grenades. Don't be like me my first few times playing the game, and not bring Blast Grenades, meaning any encounter with a Mandrake was a race to kill it on the first turn.

Mandrakes were considerably worse in the original EO2, where Last Cry (called Shriek there) was only a 35% base chance, but didn't require a turn be spent charging it, and even worse, the Mandrake AI in that game gave them a 50% chance to use it when the player was blindsided.

You don't 100% need them if you have a class with a lot of slash or fire damage, and are quick about taking them down. Most of the damage classes can do that. It is still definitely helpful to have a few just incase multiple use it at the same time.

Unfortunately, uh, you don't have the luxury of damage right now. :v:

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
I feel the need to defensively point out that I am not fully responsible for this party, only one of my votes made it in.

But it's still amusing to watch the struggle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ah, the Fifth Stratum. Best Stratum theme in the game, but it's a terrible place to go through.

You know you're in for a rough time when the first FOE is a giant robot dual-wielding lightsabers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
There's a !GAUNTLET up there you missed.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

theshim posted:

There's a !GAUNTLET up there you missed.

You'd think by this point I'd be able to consistently remember what names I assigned icons in FaceCopy. :shepface:

Fixed.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I get the feeling we'll be seeing Ranger will be fixing the world several more times over the course of the next floor. gently caress some of these floors in here.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 26, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. They dump all those killers on you right at the doorway? The castle is a different place entirely.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 44: Big Ball Bomb

I told yeh all that puttin' these magic two-way display things in the Byeahs was a good idea.

That's right, the Byeahs were the first ones to set foot in 22F proper, since the Take points had materials I needed for an ultimately-failed experiment.

That thing looks kinda familiar. Heck if I can remember where, though.
Just looking at it's making me really angry.
SYSTEM: In that case, there is no cause for alarm. You put the armor out of your mind and return to your investigation.

Well, the game's being kind of truthful, but believe me, these are not just inanimate statues.

SYSTEM: A short distance away is an inexplicable object floating in the air.

It appears to be constructed of a similar material to the silver light sword-wielders from the previous floor. Perhaps it serves a similar purpose?
SYSTEM: Just as you are about to approach the mysterious floating object, it makes a sudden noise and begins to move!

The he--

SYSTEM: The explosion was quite powerful... It was potent enough to disintegrate the armor, and surely enough to vaporize you as well. The floating object seems to have been a bomb to ward against intruders. You suspect you have not seen the last of these bombs, and vow to take even more caution in your search for the Grail.

Bombs are a first for the EO series: a dynamic obstacle. They move 3 spaces forward from their spawn point, and if you end up on the same axis as them (meaning you are on the same X or Y plane as them), they will change direction and head for you. If you collide with them, your entire party takes 100 damage.

They can also destroy any FOEs in their path, as we just saw. This will be the core of pretty much every FOE puzzle in the Heavenly Keep from here on out.

Their spawn points look like that.

Byeah. Byeah byeah byeah.
Byyyyyeah.
Okay! ...Anyone got any clue what they just said?
They got a fruit that looks powerful.

5th Stratum Take points are incredibly important, because of the fact that they give Odd Fruits.

And that's why.

Hamao (restores 100 HP, 20 TP to one party member) is unlocked by selling 1 Life Honey.

Metopon (purges all enemy buffs and debuffs) is unlocked by selling 1 Wild Rose.

Flame/Frost/Storm Jar (deals 220% ranged TEC-based Fire/Ice/Volt damage to all enemies) is made from 1 Odd Fruit. I've talked about it before, but these things combined with the Strawberry Daifuku food and Compression equals big damage for Stardust.

Unlocking Hamaos meant we finished Healing innovations.

Now, I just have to bring these to the hospital! I'll do my best! Ehehe...the healers at the hospital are kind of strange sometimes, huh?
Byeah.
Everyone just brightens whenever I talk about you. It's strange...whenever your name comes up, I end up smiling. The doctors, too... Hee hee, even Mister Cass!
Byeah.
Is, uh... Is Abigail okay? She's talkin' to the Byeahs like we're there.
Thinking about the forest and all its danger is exciting, but for me, it's more interesting just spending time with you like this... Thank you so much! Please help us out again next time!

Welcome back. How'd it go? Heh, I guess I can tell by just lookin' at yeh. Yeh know, that chump from the hospital stopped by again. He stuck around to chat a little. The guy said that because of all the different stuff yeh brought 'em, they can make new cures that could save lives. From now on, he says, they're gonna have better medicines to help yeh lot out.
Well, the pre-made medicine is certainly helping us when the straw-drawing results in teams like this.
...Yeh know, if yeh lot are so nice all the time, folks feel obligated to pay yeh back! Relax and think of the lives yeh saved, eh? Even the Trader's little missy's taken a real shine to yeh lot, hasn't she? Well, anyhow, good work! Here's yer promised reward! Haw haw haw haw haw!

Cass, we are not your trash can, please deposit your trash elsewhere.

Still working towards Parry.

An extra 1% max TP for Ursa.

Now that I've cleared out a space, let's take on Small comforts.

Hey, I've been waiting for yeh! This quest comes from the inn. Yeh know that little missy from the inn? Seems she's been gettin' a bit sick lately.
Quona does look pretty flimsy.
I ain't the most sensitive about this kinda thing, so I didn't notice...and she's good at hidin' stuff anyway, so... Uh...sorry, got sidetracked. Forget it. Here's what yeh need to do. The girlie needs medicine, but there ain't enough ingredients around.
Rrr?
The ingredients they need are 2 chunks of Yellow Gelatin, and 3 Mandrake Roots. Once it's all gathered, just bring 'em to the inn. The innkeeper's makin' the medicine, and the kid'll have to drink it! It's for that little missy. Hurry up and go get them ingredients, would yeh?

We'll see the enemies Yellow Gelatin comes from on 22F.

Also, note that while Small comforts is active, Quona cannot be at the inn's front desk.

At this point, I just walked around 1F for several in-game hours to pass the time to finish the ad campaign, and hopefully Haute cuisine.

1800 en short. Is there somethin' nearby that I can stab t' let out my anger?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I did some upgrades at this point. Every area that isn't fully upgraded is now one upgrade away from being fully developed. Those final upgrades are not cheap, mind--the North Ward costs 69k en to finish, Uptown costs 58k, and the South Ward costs 50k.

I cooked because I could.

Nest and Mushroom Soup restores 20 Force to someone when they have an ailment/bind inflicted on them. Like every other food of this nature, it's garbage.

Zhulongbao gives the party 80% resistance to head binds. This is pretty useful for parties with multiple classes that rely on the head--Medics, Alchemists, War Magi, Sovereigns, etc.

Ignoring the big group in Uptown might've been a mistake, but none of the foods they'll eat overlap with the other groups in the area.

While I'm clearing out the quest log, might as well do Labyrinth groundskeeping.

SYSTEM: Do you remember the quest you accepted at the bar? The farmers asked you to prune some of Yggdrasil's branches from a few places in the forest. This seems to be the place they mentioned... You can choose to prune the branches, and apply the tonic that Cass gave you.
Alright, everyone take a different part of the branch! ...This means you, Milly.
Rrgh.
SYSTEM: You take a moment to prune a few branches that are extending into the air outside, and apply the tonic you received. After bundling up the cut branches, you set off on your way to the next location.

'S one down. Let's get the next one.

Rinse and repeat.

SYSTEM: You have pruned all the branches from the places that had been pointed out to you. This completes the quest. However, you still appear to have some tonic left... You can choose to look around for other overgrown branches, or you can return and report your progress at the bar.
Well, I've got nothin' better t' do. How about we go branch huntin'?

You pretty much have to kind of find this spot by luck. You can check this spot before taking on Labyrinth groundskeeping, and the game will give you dialogue about overgrown branches here, but again, there's nothing otherwise indicating this spot is special.

Hrrrroor...
I'm with the bear. Let's hurry this up so I can get some sleep.
SYSTEM: You take a moment to prune a few extra branches that are extending into the air outside Yggdrasil. One of the branches is practically the size of a tree itself... It would make a fine source of wood for the town stocks.
That oughta be enough t' make at least five houses--
SYSTEM: However, at the final chop, the branch sags with a groan of wood, and snaps off...plummeting down towards ground level.
...Whoops.
Nice going, Spearman.
Whaddya want from me? Prunin' branches ain't exactly the same as stabbin' monsters!
SYSTEM: Nonplussed, you watch the branch vanish from sight. After a moment, you deem it a lost cause, and sheepishly apply the tonic. You have now used up all the tonic, and gathered a great amount of lumber. All that remains is to return to the bar when you have time, and report your progress!

Hey, welcome back! Did yeh cut down enough branches? Haw!
Oh, has word of our...mishap spread back to town?
See, it was hilarious. Yeh know how yeh dropped down a whole drat tree...?
It was just a drat branch!
Wait, what? That was just a branch!? Well, whatever. Anyway, the wind took it pretty far, and it ended up crashin' right through a roof! There's a huge hole now!
Orrh. Rrrps.
...Yeh're kiddin', right? Please tell me we didn't just destroy some smelly unfortunate's house.
Eh? Oh, does it sound like I'm scoldin' yeh? Baw haw haw! Nah, relax, it's not a big deal. Nobody got hurt or anythin'. First of all, nobody's gonna blame yeh if they got no idea yeh dropped the drat thing... And more importantly... I hate the old bastard whose roof yeh wrecked, anyway! Haw haw haw! Yeh did great! Just great! Ah, yeh should have seen his face...! I'm glad I asked yeh lot. There's a lot more sunlight around the place now, so they're even talkin' about expanding their fields. That huge branch was probably in the way. With all the wood from yeh and the other guilds, we can fix everythin' and then some! The farmers are so happy, they're callin' yeh the 'herald of the sun'. Fancy. They gave yeh a nice fat reward as well. Make sure yeh accept people's gratitude, yeh hear me? I'll be lookin' forward to workin' with yeh again next time!

2% more extra max HP for Tyler.

Hey, look, another one of these voice box things. Who wants to hear some more static?
SYSTEM: It seems to have been neglected for years, but it somehow manages to catch your interest. Though pressing it seems to accomplish nothing, before long a disembodied voice sounds.
Environmental changes...still happening...everything...inevitable extinction...
Ex...tinction? What the hell?
Elite researchers...every nation...human...genome recombinant... I...machine's...body...human weakness... Live...eternally...
This is soundin' pretty familiar.
If...must live...become king...new lands... Genes...human cells...split...immortality... In...this world...live... Telomere...improve...
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice abruptly ends there. You cock your head, marveling at the strange phenomenon, before returning to your quest.

Well, no time like the present to explain some backstory.

The setting of every EO game (barring EO5, from what we've seen so far) is Earth. Y'know, our Earth. The one you're living on right now. EO2U has referenced this maybe one time (Cass talking about Ontario in his dialogue for Hidden Hot Springs), and it's not brought up at all in the original EO2, EO3, and EO4. However, it was a key plot point in EO1, even if it wasn't revealed until the last stratum. For those of you who haven't played EO1 or EOU, the 5th Stratum in that game is called Lost Shinjuku; as in, the actual location in Japan, all but directly stating that Etria exists on top of the ruins of modern Japan.

Additionally, right before you fight EO1's final boss, he tells you the history of EO's setting:

quote:

Long, long ago... A civilization greater than our own flourished. Its people had solved all the world's mysteries and had power to rival the gods. This power was called science. Mankind gained dominion over nature and life itself. But humanity's technology also cast a dark shadow over its future. Their forecasts and projections increasingly showed their own imminent demise.

In destroying the environment, humans were making their own habitat unlivable. The danger was realized too late, and billions died in the resulting climate change. Mankind faced extinction, but there were those who refused to give up, and kept fighting. By integrating their own technology with the laws of nature, man attempted to restore the lost balance.

This was the Yggdrasil Project.

(Everything after that is relevant only to EO1.)

Basically, we hosed everything up in a future not far off from the present day, and pollution plus climate change nearly exterminated humanity, which led to the Yggdrasil Project, spread across seven different locations on the planet. While only Etria and an unseen town called Gotham were stated to be Yggdrasil Project locations in EOU, EO2U's Story mode (not to give away too much) also states that Lagaard's Yggdrasil is part of the project. Armoroad (EO3)'s Yggdrasil has nothing to do with any of this, mind you, and EO4's Yggdrasil is similar to the ones involved with the Yggdrasil Project, but as far as I can tell, it's not related.

What does any of this have to do with that dialogue just above, or EO2's setting as a whole? Aside from "Environmental changes...still happening...everything...inevitable extinction," refer back to the intro text in the OP, which was part of the original EO2's intro:

quote:

When civilization sunk beneath the seven seas, deep forests spread across the five remaining islands.
Only the chosen ones escaped the waters in their castle stronghold.
Eventually, the waves overtook even the last five islands...
And the castle was all that remained.
After the passing of ages, the people of the floating castle chose to descend upon their mother soil.
These are the chronicles of the land of High Lagaard.

Basically, the effects of climate change manifested in Lagaard (which, going by the location and climate, is probably somewhere where Russia (maybe Siberia) presently is) as massive flooding. To escape this, a group of people built an ark--the Heavenly Keep--and went to the skies. Dubois and Gradriel have both mentioned this, but after a while, some of the ark's residents' descendants chose to go back to Earth, presumably after the flooding had subsided and the climate had been partially fixed by the Yggdrasil Project, and founded High Lagaard. The only hanger-on was, evidently, whoever ended up becoming the Overlord that's still taunting us as we go through this place.

For a series whose main setpiece is very much directly taken from Norse mythology, EO2's backstory and even some stuff in the postgame is weirdly Judeo-Christian.

How can so many mutations of a single gelatinous creature exist?

Yellow Gel
HP: 464, STR: 41, TEC: 31, VIT: 30, AGI: 27, LUC: 31
Skills:
  • Paralyzing Fluid: Used upon death. Uses the head. Attempts to inflict paralysis on the party, with an 80% base chance.
  • Power Gel: Uses the head. Deals 5% melee TEC-based Almighty damage to one enemy. Increases the targeted enemy's physical/elemental damage by 50%, and their AGI stat by 100% for 4 turns. Has a 30% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Yellow Gelatin. 35% chance. Sells for 625 en. 1 needed to make Gastraphetes (+114 ATK). 5 Ironwoods and 2 Yellow Gelatins needed to make Steadfast Axe (+146 ATK).
    "Faintly luminescent nucleus. If treated properly, it can make a powerful weapon."
Damage resistances:
50% 50% 50% 125% 125% 10%
Disable resistances:
100% 150% 0% 50% 100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%
100% 50% 50%

An oozing gel creature that uses its body to restrain enemies on the battlefield.

Yellow Gels are very much support monsters, and really irritating ones that you should kill last. Having them buff up other enemies (usually) isn't as bad as most likely having 4 or 5 party members paralyzed.

I will note that Power Gel is one of two very special skills that has a special buff effect. Instead of increasing the target's action speed, like the game says, it actually multiplies their AGI stat directly. This doesn't mean a ton for enemies, but Power Gel and the other skill like it are very popular for parties that have Survivalists and Gunners, since it functions as both a 30% normal damage buff, and then an extra 60% AGI boost. (Note that those numbers probably do not result in a 108% damage buff for AGI attackers, since a 60% increase in AGI most likely does not equal a 60% increase in damage.)

Beast Dance has whiffed on me a lot (off-screen), so I decided to try a different method of using Ursa.

Expert teamwork, Ursa!
Rrr!
What, I don't get any thanks?

That damage is comparable to Beast Dance, but keep in mind that Link Order II is only at level 5, I think, and more importantly, can't ever miss.

Huh. Can't move.

This is why I said you should leave Yellow Gels for last.

Most of your party being paralyzed is so much more dangerous when the Yellow Gel is accompanying an enemy that isn't just another Yellow Gel.

Black Wing
HP: 900, STR: 48, TEC: 33, VIT: 35, AGI: 38, LUC: 35
Skills:
  • Beaked Rush: Uses the head. Deals 140% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy at all levels.
Drops:
  • Normal: Coal Bone. 40% chance. Sells for 622 en. 1 needed to make Hamonhirumaki (+154 ATK). 4 needed to make Black Chausses (+21 DEF, +10 HP, can be equipped by Beasts). 5 Black Carapaces and 2 Coal Bones needed to make Black Collar (+61 DEF).
    "Charred bone fragment of a Black Wing. It's brittle, and hard to work with."
  • Ingredient: Black Breast. 2-3 given. 3 needed to make Ominous Aspic (Western Food 5; restores 2% max TP every 10 steps). 3 needed to make Triple Salisbury (Western Food 5; restores 3% max HP, 1% max TP at end of turn). 3 needed to make Beggar's Fowl (Chinese Food 5; +80% fear resistance). 2 needed to make Sky Chawanmushi (Japanese Food 5; adds 0-5 levels to new Grimoires).
    "Tenderloin from a dark bird."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 125% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 100% 50% 50% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%
50% 100% 100%

A deathly dinosaur that can prey on multiple targets at once.

Remember Wild Wings from the 1st Stratum? Remember how they were pretty big pains? Black Wings are literally just Wild Wings with higher stats.

I coulda lived a long, happy life without ever runnin' into one'a these birds ever again... Oof...
At least you are protected by Phoebe...

At least I'm not hurting for elemental coverage--Phoebe has access to the Preludes for each element, even if Ice and Volt Prelude are both at level 1.

A'ight, how about yeh just put that beak down?

At least Beaked Rush isn't instant-kill territory any more.

This is the last bomb puzzle in the stratum that only involves dodging bombs, instead of blowing up FOEs. There's probably only of these because you can just eat the bomb damage and go on, especially if you have a Medic.

There's also not a lot you can really do with these kinds of puzzles.

Grrt. Mrrr.
At least this one appears to be another statue.

How about you just keep your hoity-toity trap shut next time?
SYSTEM: The air about this armor is very different from before, and you feel a sense of menace directed at you! What you had taken for a decorative suit of armor was in fact a monster set to eliminate intruders!

SYSTEM: Though you have seen for yourself how the floating bombs can easily obliterate the armor threatening you now... You must take pains to avoid both this monstrous armor and the flying bombs as you search for the path to a new floor.

And so begins the first FOEs plus bombs puzzle.

Cursed Knights have pretty simple movement rules: they'll aggro on you once you're in their direct line of sight, and then take one step toward you for every step you take.

Anyone just hear a big boom?
I hear one less pair of big metal boots stomping around.

Well, that one was pretty easy.

There's a Take point in a small room to the right of that area, incidentally.

I went back to town to restock on Somas, since the bombs were draining me dry very quickly.

Hamonhirumaki (+154 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Coal Bone.

I get that this place had t' hold a lotta people, but did the ceiling really need t' be this high?

You've got a lot of room to move in this area, so blowing up both of the Cursed Knights is super easy.

Baiting both of the knights into being in front of the bomb spawner is the easiest way to go about this.

Same deal as the other ailment gasses: 40% base chance to inflict curse on all enemies. Blech.

You gotta be loving KIDDING ME

Phoebe! Where's yer drat shield?!
Eh. It ain't gonna save us.

OH gently caress I ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE L BUTTON AND STARTED AUTO-BATTLE

Told ya...
Brrrorgh...

I just...wanted t' be a hero...
drat nihilistic philosophy...

Take me...but do not forsake...my friends...

Another red vortex? But I just fixed everything yesterday.
Oh, come on, do whatever you do, quickly. I was in the middle of reading...things.
You're still reading that saccharine story about the ghosts?
...Okay, a) how did you get here, b) how do you know about that story, c) no.
Is it the one with the red-haired girl and time travel? And the guy who gives everything weird names?
Just fix the stupid universe already.

For the record, that idiocy happened because I disabled the confirmation prompt for auto-battle while I was grinding everyone for Harpuia. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SETTINGS, FOLKS.

I didn't mention it earlier, but when you aggro one Cursed Knight in a room, they will all aggro on you.

This particular area's the last one on the floor, but it's pretty annoying due to how wide it is, plus how little walking room you actually have.

Left left left!

Never saw it comin', heh.

Second verse, same as the first.

Are there any monsters that actually have brains in this place?

The Cursed Knight on the far right...just killed itself, I guess, since I never saw it show up on the map screen.

Incidentally, like how Petal Bridge floors were circle-shaped, Heavenly Keep floors are all oval-shaped.

Your form surpasses that of any ordinary man... But have you no interest in attaining even greater power? In immortality?
Go screw yerself. What yeh're offerin' isn't immortality.
SYSTEM: The question rings in your ears as if a corporeal presence had spoken it not two feet away.
Have those who have fallen to earth forgotten the terror of the shadow of death? Influential men, mighty kings... All who gained power shared the same dream in their hearts. Immortality. Countless men yearned for it, and each faced death in turn regardless.
The plural of anecdote is not data.
The Grail of Kings I have obtained is what gives humans the power to overcome death. Do not approach me lightly. On this very floor is one who was once a veteran explorer... Through the power of the Grail of Kings, he has been granted might beyond his human form...
Ah, great, another one.
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice takes on a slightly taunting tone, as if amused.
I look forward to seeing your mere human's strength pitted against its almighty power...
SYSTEM: The voice falls silent. Whatever it spoke of is beyond your understanding... But from what you could deduce, a fearsome enemy awaits you on this very floor! Your heart races as you proceed through the Labyrinth with the utmost caution...
Well, might as well see what horror's awaitin' us this time.
Aren't these big monsters usually on the last floor of a stratum?

Just when yeh thought these bomb rooms couldn't get any bigger.

I've said it like three times already, but I'll say it again: what the hell is that?!

Have you realized yet, those who have fallen to earth? You look upon the Juggernaut! This dreadful beast has been granted immortality and now guards my research! Now begin the dance! Show me whose might shall win the day: yours, or my own creation's!
SYSTEM: The voice speaks with a ghastly cheer before fading away. It would seem that your only avenue forward is to defeat this monster... But beware! You can easily believe that this monster is far stronger than anything you have faced thus far! It will take all your strength and expertise to stand against it!
How about we get back to town and put together a party that's less prone to destroyin' the universe?
I concur. ...Destroying the universe?

GODDAMMIT. If I had loving appealed to the big group in Uptown instead of trying to appeal to multiple groups I probably would've gotten enough to finish Haute cuisine.

If some of my decisions seem weird, keep in mind that I'm trying to appeal to multiple groups.

Hanna's still saying her Small comforts dialogue.

Hmmm, it's not coming out... You might have to give this one a thorough washing.
Washin' this armor takes a lotta time. I'll get to it eventually.
I got most of the mud off, though you should have Hanna wash this for you once you get back. She'll make it squeaky clean! Oh, there's even mud on your face, too... Um, if you don't mind... There! All clean! Hee hee...well, I can't help you all when you're off exploring... So I'm just glad to know that I can still be helpful...in my own little way. I guess that's a little silly, huh? Eheheh. I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

“What are you hungry for?" “How about some Forest Cuisine?" ...I'm starting to hear that everywhere these days. I never thought the people would accept these exotic dishes so...naturally. Something about it feels good. ...Actually, I'm very pleased.
Well, some'a the dishes actually look pretty normal. Maybe that's got somethin t' do with it.

Kinda strange when yeh think about it. When I heard that yeh made it to the castle, I thought I was hearin' things. But look at how things are now. I'm so used to seeing yeh head off to that castle. Hasn't even been that long since it was discovered, but now everyone acts like they knew about it the whole time.
Well, technically, everyone did know about it the whole time, in a different capacity.
You just love your technicalities, don't you?
Think about it though. Even as we speak, that castle's just floating up above us. Kinda makes yeh shiver, doesn't it? I guess folks can get used to anything...

The Gallant ronin is part of Adventurers' Bond, so let's just talk to the Haughty doctor.

I'd say I'm rather unexciting, and my methods of exploration are thus similarly unexciting. That's simply my way, but... I... I suppose that's not quite true. No matter how slow I go, something about the flying castle is truly heart-pounding. Lumen, you're also exploring the castle, yes? Have you seen those Solo Bombs already?
Plenty of 'em.
Those things will attempt to rush you, so the first one I saw gave me quite a fright. But if you examine its movements, you may notice... there are some places that it can't enter. Perhaps it can't do sharp turns. Tch. I'd rather not think about it... hm? Oh, did someone as unexciting as me just advise the famous Lumen...? Ah, I... Perhaps I might be somewhat impressed...

We're starin' down another big monster. Giant graysish-black deal. Tons of tusks and horns.
I was researching the texts at the Duke's Palace on a whim... and I came across a phrase that might be of interest. “In the center of the Heavenly Keep, the Black Beast waits to punish the wicked." ...If the winged ones from these texts actually existed, it seems likely this Black Beast exists too. Keep it in mind. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

...Apropos of nothing, are your parents in good health?
I should hope so. If my parents were to succumb to an illness right now, there would be no-one to occupy the throne...
Man, I haven't talked to my mom and dad in years.
We were just thinking of keeping a record of you and your achievements here in Lagaard. I will take it upon myself to complete this record, even if it takes a lifetime. But your journey is not over... Hm. Where will it end, I wonder?
I'm gonna go with what hat guy 'n his friends are doin': keep goin' till I get bored.
Ho ho, I'm certainly looking forward to writing this one. I expect great things from you, Guild Lumen.

That's all for now. Next time: the sole 23F quest, finishing up some other quests, and after that, Juggernaut.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 31, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Juggernaut pre-fight overview

Juggernaut
HP: 72000 (can be lowered to ~43200), STR: 60, TEC: 45, VIT: 49, AGI: 28, LUC: 51
Skills:
  • Berserk Cry: Uses the head. Increases all party members' and Juggernaut's physical/elemental attack by 100% for 6 turns. Has a 10% speed modifier.
  • Tusk Strike: Uses the head. Deals 115% melee STR-based Stab damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has a 10% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Brandish: Uses the head. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 20% base chance. Has a 10% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Eradicate: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Reduces hit targets' physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 10% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Putrid Breath: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict blind and poison on the party, with a 25% base chance and 60 base poison damage (around 98 adjusted for level). Has a 10% speed modifier.
  • Violent Cry: Uses the head. Used if any party member has any buffs 5 turns after Berserk Cry. Dispels all buffs on the party and deals 30% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to anyone who has buffs dispelled. If Juggernaut uses Violent Cry, he will follow it up on the next turn with King's Rush.
  • King's Rush: Uses the legs. Deals 250% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Attempts to bind all body parts of hit targets, with a 10% base chance. Has a 10% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Reckless Barrier: Uses the head. Used in response to being damaged with Fire/Ice/Volt. Increases Juggernaut's physical/elemental defense by 75% for 6 turns. Has a cooldown of 3 turns or so, where Juggernaut will not recast it if he is damaged with Fire/Ice/Volt again/
Drops:
  • Normal: Guardian Skin. 100% chance. Sells for 8700 en. 1 needed to make Guardian Staff (+143 ATK, +60 HP, +5 TEC).
    "Sturdy hide fitting for a guardian beast. So hard, some smiths refuse to work with it."
  • Conditional: Sky Metal Tail (Kill while legs are bound). 100% chance. Sells for 17500 en. 1 needed to make Sky Metal Mail (Ronin ultimate armor; +92 DEF, +3 STR, +3 AGI).
    "Tail said to be made of the mythical Sky Metal. Gained by sealing the limbs of the juggernaut."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 150% 150%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 0% 75% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%
AI pattern:
  • Normal loop:
    • Turn 1: Berserk Cry
    • Turns 2-6: Attack, Eradicate, Tusk Strike, Putrid Breath, or Brandish
  • If any party member has any buffs at the end of turn 6, Juggernaut will cast Violent Cry, and then use King's Rush on the next turn.
  • If the above condition is not triggered, Juggernaut will cast Berserk Cry on the next turn instead, and start a new loop.
  • Juggernaut prioritizes normal attacks on the first loop, but starts using skills much more often on subsequent loops.
  • Skills listed in the loop are ordered roughly based on how Juggernaut prioritizes them.
  • If Juggernaut has both the conditions for Reckless Barrier and Violent Cry triggered on the same turn, he will cast Violent Cry, ignoring Reckless Barrier. This does not activate the cooldown.

An ancient protector, dreaded for its tough skin and myriad of horns and claws.

(I apologize for the lack of a fancy render, but my 3DS model viewer doesn't map Juggernaut's textures to his mesh correctly.)

Juggernaut is my favorite boss in EO2U, and very high on my list of favorite bosses from the entire series. He doesn't have any summons to deal with, first off--that's already a huge plus in his favor. Secondly, who doesn't like a boss that gives you an almost-free 100% damage buff? Thirdly, instead of being a test of how well your party can wipe out summons before a designated "gently caress you" turn, Juggernaut tests you on how well you can create a party that can handle a fairly varied skillset, and work around both limits on how you can use buffs, and a direct counter to the most effective method of damaging him.

I really can't tell you a lot more about his skills that you couldn't infer from the descriptions, so just one more thing: notice how Juggernaut has only 28 AGI, and all of his skills have 10% speed modifiers. He's basically the single slowest enemy in the game, and even our slowest party members (Colette, Jackie, pretty much any staff user) can probably outspeed him.

So, let's move on to party member descriptions, shall we?

Damage dealers

Zack: Zack can use the chasers again, but the party needs to specifically be built around that, or else he's going to be near-dead weight.

Freyja: Juggernaut having 25% resistance to head and leg binds means inflicting them is kind of a pain in the rear end, meaning Freyja will basically need Sophie, but otherwise, Ecstasy is as ridiculous as it ever was, especially with the Berserk Cry buff. She's unfortunately pretty susceptible to being either severely injured or even one-shot by Juggernaut's stronger skills.

Stardust: Stardust is pretty much the best option for damage against Juggernaut, due to his severe elemental weaknesses, but she'll either need Rheine in the party, or I'll have to stock up on a bunch of Metopons.

Asriel: Asriel is certain an option. He can't really take advantage of Juggernaut's elemental weaknesses, unfortunately. He's also ever so slightly more susceptible to being pasted by certain skills.

Jackie: Jackie can easily exploit Juggernaut's elemental weaknesses, much like Stardust can, and she can even probably avoid the normal Charged skills extra damage penalty, because Charged skills actually have higher speed modifiers than all of Juggernaut's skills.

Tyler: Anyone with access to elemental damage is pretty good in the Juggernaut fight, even if Tyler's overall damage output isn't as great as some other party members. His high HP and average VIT mean he's less susceptible to being suddenly pasted than most other party members.

Ranger: Ranger's entire thing is heavy elemental damage. You thought you saw some big numbers before? Berserk Cry + Transform already means Ranger deals triple the damage he normally does, and god help us all if he gets paired up with Milly.

Defense

Phoebe: Front Guard cuts down on Juggernaut's damage a significant amount (it's a 70% reduction at level 20), and hell, I could even use Perfect Defense if I want to get lax with dispelling Berserk Cry and make Juggernaut waste a turn doing nothing with King's Rush.

Ursa: Ursa can tank Tusk Strike, and probably Brandish (as long as her arms don't get bound), but Eradicate will almost certainly kill her. True Endurance, like Perfect Defense, can let me make Juggernaut waste a turn basically whiffing King's Rush.

Support

Nadia: Juggernaut's AGI being low, combined with some of his skills having lower-than-average accuracy means Nadia can try dodge-tanking with Chain Dance, and then follow it up with burst damage from Hazy Arrow, which will hurt like hell with Berserk Cry. Blind and paralysis, additionally, are useful ailments against Juggernaut.

Realga: Realga is mostly useful for keeping Ursa alive if she's brought along. Aside from that obvious use, she can also easily patch up non-lethal damage, especially if Phoebe is spamming Front Guard. She can also fairly easily get rid of arm binds from Brandish, and ailments from Putrid Breath.

Milly: Juggernaut already takes care of giving us a normal attack buff, meaning Milly's primary use is casting Preludes on our big damage dealers, and using a Fantasia (probably Shock Fantasia) to make Juggernaut even weaker to a given element.

Sophie: Sophie is our single best bet for getting the conditional now and not having to worry about it later. Creeping Curse also means that Juggernaut's 25% resistance to several good disables isn't as bad as it could be. Head binds, in particular, almost completely shut Juggernaut down, since almost all of his normal skills, along with Violent Cry and Reckless Barrier, rely on the head.

Colette: Barrier doesn't have that many uses in the Juggernaut fight, since none of his disables have high enough base chances for me to be particularly worried about them. Ailing Slash will hurt like hell with Berserk Cry, I can say that much.

Rheine: Rheine is, bar none, one of the best supports for Juggernaut. She can use Ad Nihilo Juggernaut to get rid of his Berserk Cry and Reckless Barrier buffs, White Noble to get rid of Berserk Cry before the Violent Cry turn (and Eradicate, if applicable), Prevent Order to prepare for Putrid Breath, and Link Order to contribute some extra elemental damage. This is one of the few times in the game where I'd say stacking Milly and Rheine isn't that big a deal, since they both have very different roles in the fight.

Vote for a maximum of five party members, at least one from each category. Don't vote for the same party member more than twice, though--that did not work out so well last time.

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 31, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Wait, what? That was just a branch!? Well, whatever. Anyway, the wind took it pretty far, and it ended up crashin' right through a roof! There's a huge hole now!
Orrh. Rrrps.
...Yeh're kiddin', right? Please tell me we didn't just destroy some smelly unfortunate's house.
Eh? Oh, does it sound like I'm scoldin' yeh? Baw haw haw! Nah, relax, it's not a big deal. Nobody got hurt or anythin'. First of all, nobody's gonna blame yeh

Cass' dialogue repeats twice here, and Ranger's portrait is missing in his dialogue.

Ranger, Milly, Jackie, Ursa, Sophie

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Cass' dialogue repeats twice here, and Ranger's portrait is missing in his dialogue.

Ranger, Milly, Jackie, Ursa, Sophie

I noticed the stray !RANGERs before you posted them, but I didn't notice the Cass repeat. Thanks.

(I should really just delete that stupid hat portrait, I always get tripped up by the fact that I had to rename Ranger's normal portrait to !RANGER1 because of it)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Freyja, Sophie, Phoebe, Asriel, Jackie

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Ranger, Phoebe, Tyler, Stardust, Milly. At this point, I want another bloodbath.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ranger, Jackie, Stardust, Pheobe, Milly. All the damage! :black101:

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Jackie, Ranger, Phoebe, Milly, Rheine Let's just ruin this thing's day.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Asriel, Zack, Realga, Ursa, and Nadia.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ranger, Nadia, Phoebe, Rheine, and Colette. Go Story Mode on this thing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results are:

quote:

Ranger: 5
Phoebe: 5
Jackie: 4
Milly: 4
Ursa: 2
Asriel: 2
Nadia: 2
Rheine: 2

Colette: 1
Zack: 1
Tyler: 1

That's a lot of characters with two votes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. Is this the first mid-stratum boss? And it's a real whopper, too.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

If you don't count Guild Esbat as "mid-stratum" (they are on the same floor, after all), then yes, it is.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Nah, EO1/EOU had Royalant/Queen Ant on the 2nd floor of the 3rd Stratum as well. EO3 and EO4 don't have mid-stratum bosses, though (not counting side quests), probably because of the shorter strata lengths in both of them.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Ranger, Jackie, Phoebe, Rheinex2

I'd say Princess is fairly important for this battle, since it's much better to have their full skillset than just the Clearance grimoire the game gives you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have a SLEEP on Black Wing.

Bring Ranger and Milly. I want big numbers. Phoebe and Sophie can come too since only one side really needs big numbers. And I guess Rheine can help on the big numbers train too.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Realga, Ursa x3, Ranger I still wanna see the bear actually do tanking

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Allstone posted:

Realga, Ursa x3, Ranger I still wanna see the bear actually do tanking

I'll take 2 of the Ursa votes, the Realga vote, and the Ranger vote, but you can only vote for a character twice. Do you want to vote for someone else, or just have the vote be my choice?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Actually, no, never mind, I'm closing voting.

quote:

Ranger: 8
Milly: 5
Rheine: 5

Ursa: 4
Sophie: 3
Asriel: 2
Realga: 2
Nadia: 2
Tyler: 1
Colette: 1
Zack: 1

I just finished a pretty good test run with the winning party of Phoebe, Ranger, Milly, Jackie, and Rheine, and I felt it was actually a pretty good fight! Still over pretty quickly, but not as quickly as stuff like Basilisk or Scylla.

Choice quotes selections of me shouting at Fetus and Hivac from various test runs:

quote:

9:20 PM - Ragnar Homsar: I am killing Juggernaut
9:20 PM - Ragnar Homsar: very quickly
9:20 PM - Hivac: lol
9:21 PM - Ragnar Homsar: okay never mind
9:21 PM - Ragnar Homsar: Eradicate killed Phoebe and Jackie
9:21 PM - Ragnar Homsar: from full HP

quote:

9:24 PM - Ragnar Homsar: JACKIE
9:24 PM - Ragnar Homsar: PLEASE
9:24 PM - Ragnar Homsar: SHE WHIFFED BOTH ACTIVATIONS OF BURST SHOT
9:24 PM - Mega Fetus: YES
9:24 PM - Mega Fetus: YES
9:24 PM - Mega Fetus: I knew my character would do me proud!
9:24 PM - Mega Fetus: :3

quote:

9:28 PM - Ragnar Homsar: I FORGOT TO DISPEL
9:28 PM - Ragnar Homsar: RECKLESS BARRIER
9:28 PM - Ragnar Homsar: BEFORE CRUSADE
9:28 PM - Mega Fetus: WOMP WOMP WOMP

quote:

9:50 PM - Ragnar Homsar: WHAT THE gently caress
9:50 PM - Ragnar Homsar: OH MY GOD
9:50 PM - Ragnar Homsar: STUNNING JUST DELAYS KING'S RUSH
9:50 PM - Ragnar Homsar: IT WORKS ON THE SAME RULES AS KINGLY FIRE

That last one was a bit of a rude surprise; the @wiki (or at least what I can decipher of its Google Translate spew) didn't mention that.

Rea fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 31, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'll take 2 of the Ursa votes, the Realga vote, and the Ranger vote, but you can only vote for a character twice. Do you want to vote for someone else, or just have the vote be my choice?

Sorry, my bad. I'll try and read the voting rules better next time.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Actually, no, never mind, I'm closing voting.

I just finished a pretty good test run with the winning party of Phoebe, Ranger, Milly, Jackie, and Rheine, and I felt it was actually a pretty good fight! Still over pretty quickly, but not as quickly as stuff like Basilisk or Scylla.

Choice quotes selections of me shouting at Fetus and Hivac from various test runs:

That last one was a bit of a rude surprise; the @wiki (or at least what I can decipher of its Google Translate spew) didn't mention that.

I ran a party that wasn't anywhere close to having the damage to take out the Juggernaut or even anything to deal with his skills on my classic run, and boy was I sad when I got owned by King's Rush after blowing a Riot Gun charge on him. It's kind of lovely it works that way because that almost mandates having a tank to null the damage. At least the game is nice enough to toss you appropriate grimoires sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

SC Bracer posted:

I ran a party that wasn't anywhere close to having the damage to take out the Juggernaut or even anything to deal with his skills on my classic run, and boy was I sad when I got owned by King's Rush after blowing a Riot Gun charge on him. It's kind of lovely it works that way because that almost mandates having a tank to null the damage. At least the game is nice enough to toss you appropriate grimoires sometimes.

I mean, I had Rheine and White Noble at the ready, I was just getting lax with dispelling Berserk Cry because I was sure I could completely stop Violent Cry with War Song and King's Rush with Supreme Bolt.

In the end, the recorded fight basically came down to Ranger shredding off around 15000 HP from Juggernaut with an Accelerate combo + Crusade, and then Jackie finishing off Juggernaut with Supreme Bolt. If the fight had gone on for even one turn longer, I probably wouldn't have made it.

Also Fetus theorized that the reason Eradicate hurts so much is that it applies the defense debuff before dealing the damage, and while that sounds plausible, it'd also be the only case of that happening in the entire game.

(Fun fact: I couldn't actually do anything with Shock Fantasia because Ad Nihilo dispels both buffs and debuffs, meaning any time I purged off Berserk Cry or Reckless Barrier from Jugg, it would also purge off Shock Fantasia.)

• Locked thread