Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Reaper is good when the other team has a lot of tanks yeah. Particularly Winstons since he does basically zero damage to you, and he can also just burst through Zarya's bubbles and kill her without a care (with good tracking). He's at his weakest against heroes like McCree who can disable him or highly mobile characters like Lucio and Tracer (Winston being the exception to this because he's huge and dies fast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You also, in general, want maps/points like King's Row or the hangar on Gibraltor where there's a million places you can potentially drop down from onto the enemy team to use Death Blossom. It's rare that you'll actually get to do the lazy Reaper thing where you waddle up and hit Q and get a full team wipe; you generally need the advantage of surprise via dropping from a height or hiding in a corner somewhere.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Is there a way to turn up the volume of the hit sound? I can't always make out whether a hit landed or not.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Your Computer posted:

I tried asking earlier with no answer, so here goes again

What are the best maps/situations for Reaper? I've finally gotten the white mariachi outfit so it's time to reap, but on every map I have a hard time picking him since I feel like I'd do a better job with other heroes (mostly Junkrat).

Attack? Defense? KotH? Assault? Payload?

I've found him to be a solid pick in most roles. On maps with tough chokepoints you can just ghostmode or teleport through them and flutter off to a side route like it ain't no thang, and then just go run around their backline and pick people off. King of the Hill maps are pretty good too since he's got decent sustain and the points are going to keep people in close range.

Specifically you'd definitely want him against tanks, since he'll melt them. Faster characters like Tracer or Genji can give you some trouble and you'll have to pick your moments for how to engage them. Also Pharahs will be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

" It can be a wave-based cooperative game."

I would like this very much.

Mann vs Mann, I guess.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Is there a way to turn up the volume of the hit sound? I can't always make out whether a hit landed or not.

I dunno but the crosshairs turn into an x if you land a hit (and they turn red if you got a headshot)

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Can someone tell me how demanding this thing is for net strength? Like, if my Internet dips and disconnects while playing Dota 2, should I even bother?

The game basically refuses to disconnect you.

I've had extended points of playing with 800 ping because I felt like watching a stream on the other monitor even though my Internet can't handle two things at the same time, and while I couldn't actually move for all the rubber-banding, the game sure let me stay connected.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I've been having the framerate drop like hell on the nepal maps, it runs splendid around 100 fps on every other one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Thanks random Tumblr artist for my new iPhone wallpaper.

Got it from here and braved bad fanart/head canon posts doing a random search: http://fuckyeahoverwatch.tumblr.com/post/144363110264/the-iris-embraces-you-carmessi

Edit: Also horse pics, because I guess there's a horse also named Zenyatta...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 31, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thanks random Tumblr artist for my new iPhone wallpaper.

Got it from here and braved bad fanart/head canon posts doing a random search: http://fuckyeahoverwatch.tumblr.com/post/144363110264/the-iris-embraces-you-carmessi

:zenpop: :zenpop: :zenpop:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Macaluso posted:

Why is the concept of the voting cards that do nothing but allow you to give someone a "hey good job" so confusing for people? I swear it gets asked every other page what the point of them are

Yeah, I'm going to put something in the OP about it when I get home since I want a screenshot, and I'm not going to do any image editing on my phone.

Ddraig posted:

People have been complaining about the lovely POTG algorithm for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRC9ErlgP8

You'd think it would be pretty high up on their priority list based on the fact it's displayed to everyone in game, and is often the source of a lot of videos etc.

The thing with the PotG system that I think most people miss is there's different types of PotG. They added these at the same time they worked on the PotG algorithm during the beta. It's not easily noticeable, and I think Blizzard needs to add a voiced callout along with the text on the bottom right.

Javes posted:

Where do you see what your worldwide rank for a character is?

It's on some wildly inaccurate website that only looks up and updates people who have chosen to check their rank, so it probably represents all of 1% of Overwatch's population with old, no longer applicable data for half of them.

chumbler posted:

Healing as a character role is dumb and bad and almost always the worst thing about every game it is in.

For you, which is fine. There's a lot of people that like it, which is also fine.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
Holy crap, i seem to be #84 Zarya on PS4 in the world. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/psn/global/StoicFnord/heroes/5

Ask me anything about the best Support hero.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Sorry, but

Onean posted:

It's on some wildly inaccurate website that only looks up and updates people who have chosen to check their rank, so it probably represents all of 1% of Overwatch's population with old, no longer applicable data for half of them.

:(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I tried asking earlier with no answer, so here goes again

What are the best maps/situations for Reaper? I've finally gotten the white mariachi outfit so it's time to reap, but on every map I have a hard time picking him since I feel like I'd do a better job with other heroes (mostly Junkrat).

Attack? Defense? KotH? Assault? Payload?

flank people and kill winston forever

he's at his best when he's close and personal but he's also slow and has bad range so you want to teleport behind people and attack when they aren't looking. he's good on any map

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Best/stupidest round ever. Wasn't easy when they started rolling 2 turrets and bastion but we stuck with it all the way through.

StoicFnord posted:

Holy crap, i seem to be #84 Zarya on PS4 in the world. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/psn/global/StoicFnord/heroes/5

Zarya seems impossible to me. She's fine once you get your charge up but she is so weak until then and good luck never dying ever while carefully throttling the damage you receive. The people I was playing against understood exactly how Zarya worked and would stop shooting me the instant I popped the bubble so I couldn't build charge.

How does the bubble absorption work? Does it absorb a certain number of shots and get more charge based on how much damage was absorbed, or does it absorb infinite shots just for the brief window it's visually active?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sanctum posted:

Zarya seems impossible to me. She's fine once you get your charge up but she is so weak until then and good luck never dying ever while carefully throttling the damage you receive. The people I was playing against understood exactly how Zarya worked and would stop shooting me the instant I popped the bubble so I couldn't build charge.

How does the bubble absorption work? Does it absorb a certain number of shots and get more charge based on how much damage was absorbed, or does it absorb infinite shots just for the brief window it's visually active?

While I'm garbage with the short time I've attempted her- EDIT: Oh shows what I know. Being able to eat and ult and it's short duration certainly gave that prior impression though.

By the time anything can crack your shield, it's going to be gone all on it's own.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sanctum posted:

Best/stupidest round ever. Wasn't easy when they started rolling 2 turrets and bastion but we stuck with it all the way through.

Bubble absorbs 200 damage max, but doesn't overflow. IE: if a single attack does 600 damage, the bubble immediately breaks but all the damage is blocked.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It absorbs 200 damage. Any single hit over that will still be absorbed, so you can still use it to eat an ult and walk away unscathed. E: fb

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
really? so you can just barrier against a dva ult? that rules

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

StoicFnord posted:

only ranking by max points earned seems like a weird decision to me

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
But does the bubble remain active until that damage has been absorbed, or just for the second or so the bubble is visually there?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Noob-wrangling is like pulling teeth. I played with a friend and his friends and led them to break a Bastion/Torbjorn nest and even win Anubis 2, which is nigh impossible with inexperienced players. But then we started playing koth and the listening went out the window and now they have a Lucio vs. our Mercy and they have Actual Fighting Characters vs. our Torbjorn etc. We did a payload and I knew from the start it was doomed because of the team selection but the only way to fix it would be intense micromanagement and I'm not gonna be that guy.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Onean posted:

The thing with the PotG system that I think most people miss is there's different types of PotG. They added these at the same time they worked on the PotG algorithm during the beta. It's not easily noticeable, and I think Blizzard needs to add a voiced callout along with the text on the bottom right.

Maybe they should just redo the formatting on the special title because it's really unreadable most of the time.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

jopo posted:

also junkrat and tracer ults

you can also absorb the damage a reinhart charge does but it's possible the bubble duration will expire before you hit a wall, however you can assist allies who are about to get wrecked

her bubbles also remove the freeze that mei does and prevent stuns

zarya rules

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sanctum posted:

It has 200 health, but it doesn't bleed over into health. So if you have 1 point of damage left on it, and you get headshot by widowmaker, it will just destroy the shield and that's that.

Basically it powers up your cannon 3 points for every 5 points of damage it takes and it lasts for 2 seconds. The projected barrier should be the first one you use as it has a lower cooldown than the self one. Basically put it on someone at the frontlines who is actively being shot at, and you'll soon be at 50% charge. This increases your damage substantially.

When you're going in for the kill place the barrier on yourself. If they fight back, they'll die quicker, if they don't, you'll melt them all the same. Rinse and repeat.

Zarya is very good for pushing and building momentum but you kind of need your team to be as aggressive as you are or you'll hit a brick wall.

e: We had a great match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VHEbrxZXKI

Winston is already OP at KOTH, so how about five Winstons? Count the ragequits.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

jopo posted:

Block Roadhog ults like

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Gimnbo posted:

Maybe they should just redo the formatting on the special title because it's really unreadable most of the time.

That would help, but people would still miss it. I really think they each need an audio callout.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Bubble absorbs 200 damage max, but doesn't overflow. IE: if a single attack does 600 damage, the bubble immediately breaks but all the damage is blocked.

Seeing Junkrat's and DVA's ultimates makes me :smug:. I run right into them!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I played Lucio. Doing 18,000 healing and taking 51% of the teams damage while having 0 deaths is just so much fun. Plus his shield counters like all of the other ultimates.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a cat on an apple posted:

The game basically refuses to disconnect you.

I've had extended points of playing with 800 ping because I felt like watching a stream on the other monitor even though my Internet can't handle two things at the same time, and while I couldn't actually move for all the rubber-banding, the game sure let me stay connected.

I don't really think that's better, just being a bullet sponge for everyone else. Like, at what level of ping would it become unplayable?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I played Lucio. Doing 18,000 healing and taking 51% of the teams damage while having 0 deaths is just so much fun. Plus his shield counters like all of the other ultimates.

I'm almost positive the "% of team damage taken" card means you healed that percent of the team's damage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What is "on Fire" and how do i do it?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://gfycat.com/OffbeatCloudyDogfish

Here's another amazing POTG.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

I don't really think that's better, just being a bullet sponge for everyone else. Like, at what level of ping would it become unplayable?

It's less ping and more about if you're dropping packets, mostly. If your ping is stable, you should theoretically be fine up to 250ms ping, but when my Internet flickers over to 200 ping I experience a tiny bit of rubber-banding. I can still kind of play around that, but it's annoying enough. Usually I play at 100ms ping which if you're not tethering from your phone like me you should consider that "high ping" to start with.

I think the best measure you could get without playing it yourself is to just consider the frequency of your Dota 2 disconnections would roughly be the frequency of being rubber-banded suddenly. If you can get back into Dota 2 quickly after disconnecting, then the rubber banding might not even be noticeable!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Bust Rodd posted:

By doing well, basically. It's for getting a bunch of points in a certain amount of time. Doing damage and healing earns points, so if someones on fire they're probably doing a lot of that in a short time.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The OP of this thread posted:

What do those numbers next to my Eliminations mean? / What is that bar beneath my health?

The numbers with a flame icon you see attached to things like eliminations, objective contributions and healing are On Fire points. They contribute to the On Fire bar under your health and once you reach the point marked by the triangle you will have a fiery halo around your character portrait on the Score screen. On Fire points will decay rapidly, so you cannot stay On Fire the whole match just from a single good ultimate. When attached to an Elimination, the number is the percentage of damage you contributed to killing that player.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Fire is an arbitrary scoring stat that roughly determines how well you're doing by performing more or less to your role - enemies that die give you Fire points relative to how much damage you did to them, standing on the Objective gives you Fire points, blocking with shields as a tank and healing as a support and etc..

It doesn't affect anything in game but it more or less replaces what other games would have in showing player KDAS (Kills/Deaths/Assists/Score). If you want to know who has momentum and is "carrying" the enemy team and should be focused, then just hold tab and look at whose portraits are on Fire. They're the ones that are contributing to the team the most (probably).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

"With a cooldown of 6 seconds and a 100% chance to kill almost every hero in the game even with zero follow-up from your teammates Roadhog's hook is the epitome is low risk, low skill - high reward. Especially given that a skilled Roadhog can already one-shot any 200 hp hero from about 15m with a properly aimed right-click.

I've seen people give the hook a pass because it has to be aimed, but I really don't see the difficulty level of aiming the hook matching up even remotely close to the outcome; especially since it's faster than plenty of projectiles in the game."

Yes, Blizz. Nerf Roadhog of all people.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

If it's one of the top posts on Reddit you can assume we've already seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Also I love right clicking with Lucio and sending people off of ledges. And knocking them away from their sweet setups.

Oh you just hooked me and wanna shotgun me? Try doing that from like 8000 feet away sucka LUCIO AWAY PUMP IT UP!