Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mike Hanford introduced a new character, he was the best. They all seemed energized, Scott didn't even complain about not having anything to talk about. I'm sure the 11 year old in the front row helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ElCondemn posted:

Mike Hanford introduced a new character, he was the best. They all seemed energized, Scott didn't even complain about not having anything to talk about. I'm sure the 11 year old in the front row helped.

I thought it was a great show. Hilarious all around. Was Lauren's character new, as well?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
For those listening on Howl, how bad was all the stuff with audience members getting out of their seats during the Detroit show to listen to? I've never been to a live comedy show at a theater where that many people got up for drinks/restroom/whatever before.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all were right about the Four-and-a-half-vel episode, I ended up really enjoying it. It wasn't nearly as much of a rehash as the others and brought a new bunch of weird stuff to the table.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

I thought it was a great show. Hilarious all around. Was Lauren's character new, as well?

Yeah, I think so, but I think she's done a similar character before so it was a little confusing.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
scraeyps

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tim Baltz is destroying this tour

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
This morning I listened to the MBMBAM episode with Lin-Manuel Miranda where the McElroy brothers sing a parody of that song from Guys and Dolls. Then in the afternoon I listened to the Fourvel episode and there's Scott and ALW and the stabby lil' orphan doing the same drat song. The universe is telling me something but I don't know what.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Place a bet on Paul Revere.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Mr. Squishy posted:

You might be onto something. He's no bum steer.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'd go with Valentine.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Tim Balls is the breakout star of 2016 cbb, like Jon Garbus in 2015. Feels thrilling to be there at the ground floor.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

kdrudy posted:

I'd go with Valentine.

He is the odds-on favorite. A guy has him figured at five to nine.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I was at the Oakland show, and his basketball character just blew me away. "From Crush to Slampiece to Life Burden: The Skip Dribbles Story"

Work Friend Keven posted:

Tim Balls is the breakout star of 2016 cbb, like Jon Garbus in 2015. Feels thrilling to be there at the ground floor.
And he's definitely the best part of BDP

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 27, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So are the live shows all done and dusted? Is now the time to get that free month of Howl Premium to check them all out? (Is on Android now, yes?)

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

VagueRant posted:

So are the live shows all done and dusted? Is now the time to get that free month of Howl Premium to check them all out? (Is on Android now, yes?)

Well, Howl is actually free for everyone right now. Just download the mp3 and put it on your phone. Might want to save that free month for when they maybe fix that.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Work Friend Keven posted:

Agreed

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Back To 99 posted:

Well, Howl is actually free for everyone right now. Just download the mp3 and put it on your phone. Might want to save that free month for when they maybe fix that.

Or you could just loving pay $4 to people you like for 50+ hours of entertainment

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I don't actually like the Scripps Publishing Corporation, just for the record.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Personally I love faceless corporations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

anotherone posted:

Or you could just loving pay $4 to people you like for 50+ hours of entertainment

gently caress that, I'm a caricature of a NYT op-ed about millennials and I'm not gonna freakin' pay for content!!!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
you can't put a value on comedy, man

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mike Hanford's singing candy manufacturer character better stick around.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 30, 2016

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mike Hanford's singing candy manufacturer character better stick around.

And I want his tire-riding wife to come on too!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i very much enjoyed kate berlant on today's episode

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The Atlanta show with PFT as the Contraptionaire is an instant classic. My god what an amazing episode.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

cams posted:

i very much enjoyed kate berlant on today's episode

She is delightful. A couple years ago she was touring with Father John Misty and it was great.

Also I know there are some DC people here and Chris Gethard chat was recent. I just found out he'll be at the Arlington Drafthouse in early July!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Weird Al always comes off as strangely guarded and kinda distant to me. He seems really friendly but somehow not in a genuine way

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I agree and assume it's because he's been dealing with obsessive nerds for like 30 years and this is how he copes

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you like Kate Berlant, watch her and John Early's episode of Netflix's The Characters.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

I agree and assume it's because he's been dealing with obsessive nerds for like 30 years and this is how he copes

Yeah, definitely. I read something from his Wikipedia page i think where he, at some point, purported to eat hot dogs by using a twinkie as a bun and when he became a vegetarian he had to tell his fans he'd still eat them but with veggie dogs instead

He never ate those loving things in the first place but he has the kind of mondo-nerd fans who must assume he actually lives the waaaaacky lifestyle his stage persona allegedly does

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Riptor posted:

Yeah, definitely. I read something from his Wikipedia page i think where he, at some point, purported to eat hot dogs by using a twinkie as a bun and when he became a vegetarian he had to tell his fans he'd still eat them but with veggie dogs instead

He never ate those loving things in the first place but he has the kind of mondo-nerd fans who must assume he actually lives the waaaaacky lifestyle his stage persona allegedly does

UHF was definitely a documentary and you can't tell me otherwise

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Oh ha i totally forgot it was from that

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Riptor posted:

Weird Al always comes off as strangely guarded and kinda distant to me.

This is how he comes off to me, too, particularly in interviews and on the podcasts I've heard him on. He keeps his image so squeaky clean that he'll laugh at jokes but rarely play along if they're of questionable content. Sorta like the one guy in college who would hang out with you and your friends and he'd laugh at your jokes but he always seemed uncomfortable, then it turned out that he was a Jehovah's Witness.

I still like Weird Al a lot though, I think the TV show will be a good fit for him although I'll miss Kid Cudi.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I think it's just because we don't hear anyone on the podcast with his level of fame plus younger fan base so he has to interact with it differently. No one's going to make a bit deal about UCB regular Paul Rust doing a freestyle rap about being a pedophile. Amy Poehler is the only other person I can think of with a similarly high profile but I think she gets more leeway to be gross and silly as an improviser.

Also I wouldn't call Weird Al squeaky clean because when you see him live one of his songs does involve him humping the audience members' faces.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Amy's pretty filthy in her improv and has never shied away from that perception as far as I know. I don't think she's ever actively tried to have a squeaky-clean image, that perception just comes from her playing such a sweetheart on Parks & Rec for so long. Al has pretty actively catered to that squeaky-clean idea his entire career.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think he's even spoken on the show about file sharing sites having vulgar songs misattributed to him, and that having a real effect on his reputation. He's probably had to work extra hard to keep up his image since then, and seems more guarded because of it.

e: Also, I'm not sure "squeaky clean" is necessarily right. He's not Fred Rogers. He's just a family act, is all.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Amy's pretty filthy in her improv and has never shied away from that perception as far as I know. I don't think she's ever actively tried to have a squeaky-clean image, that perception just comes from her playing such a sweetheart on Parks & Rec for so long. Al has pretty actively catered to that squeaky-clean idea his entire career.

Yeah, I added her because I realized she's a famous person who is on the show a fair amount and couldn't ignore that but yeah she can get away with a lot.

SpacePig posted:

I think he's even spoken on the show about file sharing sites having vulgar songs misattributed to him, and that having a real effect on his reputation. He's probably had to work extra hard to keep up his image since then, and seems more guarded because of it.

e: Also, I'm not sure "squeaky clean" is necessarily right. He's not Fred Rogers. He's just a family act, is all.

Despite the hump dances yeah, my husband pointed out once that his most suggestive lyrics is "'cause I'm stranded all alone at the gas station of love/And I have to use the self-service pumps"

That said, I'm finally listening to the episode and he's not shying away from much so far so it may be more on the listener's end.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah he doesn't clam up or completely shy away if things get crude, but he's also not going to push things there either (like say, Jason Mantzoukas). I mean this episode he was joking with Scott about forcing the crew to have unprotected sex with him. It's just like most funny guests who aren't playing a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Was this supposed to be a Thursday episode? They mention the show premieres "tomorrow" a few times