Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

How come beer doesn't come in more sweet / fruity flavors? I've been drinking not your fathers because it's smooth and super sweet, and I'm wondering why more aren't like this.

Try pale ales. They tend to taste fruitier, though that's only really if you have a beer palate already I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
That is the worst possible answer

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

JesustheDarkLord posted:

That is the worst possible answer

Ok. "If you're already drinking beer and want something fruitier, try pale ales. Otherwise, try cider or wine. Some beers do indeed taste fruitier, for beer. It doesn't usually come in different flavours because good beer is just water and grain flavoured with hops. If you want a sweeter drink and aren't into beer then that's fine too."

fishmech posted:

The reason water works for flowers is that it's the simplest way to keep them from wilting, supplying them with water, since they're still a bit alive.

Vegetables meanwhile usually aren't going to rot less just because there's water, and some of them will rot faster.
Sure, but how come it doesn't work, though?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

People put flowers in water to make them last longer. How come we don't put vegetables in water, in the fridge, to make them last longer?
You can put some vegetables in water to make them last longer. Celery, carrots, scallions, herbs, etc. Why some and not others, I have no idea.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Tecate is super sweet.

Also super gross.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

hooah posted:

What kind of plant is making these purple flowers? There's a lot of them in the area and I don't remember seeing them in past late springs.

Looks like some kind of wild phlox to me, pretty close to this one: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PHPA9

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

photomikey posted:

You can put some vegetables in water to make them last longer. Celery, carrots, scallions, herbs, etc. Why some and not others, I have no idea.

Cool! It was actually scallions I was thinking of, since the outer layers tend to dry up and need chucking out before I manage to get through the whole bunch.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Just keep a jug of long island iced tea in your fridge at times, swig as necessary.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

How come beer doesn't come in more sweet / fruity flavors? I've been drinking not your fathers because it's smooth and super sweet, and I'm wondering why more aren't like this.

If you want something sweet and alcoholic, you could always try a wine cooler. There are also plenty of hard ciders around if you don't want to look like a 17 year old girl.

I've tried a few summer brews where they just stuck some fruit flavoring in, and it just tastes like rear end. rear end with a hint of lemon, but still rear end.

Citrus with hops is not a great flavor combo.

There's also the issue that sweet drinks tend to make hangovers worse. There are few things worse than a Margarita hangover.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 31, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

photomikey posted:

Probably something to do with whether their water system is still intact.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

If you want something sweet and alcoholic, you could always try a wine cooler.

Or just actual wine, if you want something fruit flavored and alcoholic (and there are plenty of wines that are very sweet)

That said I disagree that beer and fruit don't go well together. Fruity lambics can be great. And while citrus doesn't work well with hoppy beers, it does go extremely well with wheat beers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Hyperlynx posted:

Ok. "If you're already drinking beer and want something fruitier, try pale ales. Otherwise, try cider or wine. Some beers do indeed taste fruitier, for beer. It doesn't usually come in different flavours because good beer is just water and grain flavoured with hops. If you want a sweeter drink and aren't into beer then that's fine too."

Dude, he said it is the worst possible answer because Pale Ales are more bitter and less fruity than other types of beer. For christ's sake, an alternate name for Pale Ale is Bitter!. It's so distinctly more bitter than normal beer that they loving named it bitter. I'm probably falling for the troll hard here, but I seriously want to know on what planet a pale ale is a sweeter, more fruity beer option.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Captain Bravo posted:

Dude, he said it is the worst possible answer because Pale Ales are more bitter and less fruity than other types of beer. For christ's sake, an alternate name for Pale Ale is Bitter!. It's so distinctly more bitter than normal beer that they loving named it bitter. I'm probably falling for the troll hard here, but I seriously want to know on what planet a pale ale is a sweeter, more fruity beer option.

I also liked "[beer] doesn't usually come in different flavours".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

:confused: pale ale can certainly have fruity flavors. and yes, it's also quite bitter. bitter and fruity/sweet are not opposites, many actual fruits are bitter. and many actual bitters are made out of fruit.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 31, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Cool! It was actually scallions I was thinking of, since the outer layers tend to dry up and need chucking out before I manage to get through the whole bunch.
Scallions are a weed. If you buy a bunch of them for a quarter, put them in a potted plant in your windowsill, and water it every few days, you will have scallions for the rest of your life. They will outgrow the pot. I just learned this last year. How I got to 39 and never knew this, I'm not sure. And saving the quarter isn't even the issue, it's having fresh scallions and not limp ones that is the payoff here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ras Het posted:

I also liked "[beer] doesn't usually come in different flavours".

I notified my local CAMRA officer and he says they'll be breaking his legs by sundown.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hyperlynx posted:

Sure, but how come it doesn't work, though?

Fruits and some vegetables aren't plants like a cut flower is. A fruit itself doesn't have its own water transportation system, and even if it did it wouldn't matter since a ripe fruit is essentially already dead and done. Stuff like celery and carrots could since they're actually core parts of the plant (celery is stalk, carrot is root) and have everything necessary to make use of having water available.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the scam here? I keep receiving email from some chinese source saying a company there has sought to register my company's .com name there as .cn and .hk names. They allegedly want to confirm that this company has the right to do that. I can't figure out what their angle is and how they will extract money from me if I respond.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

photomikey posted:

Scallions are a weed. If you buy a bunch of them for a quarter, put them in a potted plant in your windowsill, and water it every few days, you will have scallions for the rest of your life. They will outgrow the pot. I just learned this last year. How I got to 39 and never knew this, I'm not sure. And saving the quarter isn't even the issue, it's having fresh scallions and not limp ones that is the payoff here.

This. This is what Stupid/Small Questions thread exists.

Have you tried anything else, and more importantly, how come everyone does not already know this. (My first blush guess is that scallions can kill cats if the eat them, but)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what's the scam here? I keep receiving email from some chinese source saying a company there has sought to register my company's .com name there as .cn and .hk names. They allegedly want to confirm that this company has the right to do that. I can't figure out what their angle is and how they will extract money from me if I respond.

Probably just making sure you aren't intending to break into those markets and thus subject them to a lawsuit over who has the rights to the name? Could just be them being over-cautious.

e: yeah or that vvvv especially if they keep sending it without saying who

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 31, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They want you to buy the name. There probably is no one else is interested in buying it but they figure you might thing, "well someday I might do business in China!" and pay the money just to squat on it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

They want you to buy the name. There probably is no one else is interested in buying it but they figure you might thing, "well someday I might do business in China!" and pay the money just to squat on it.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

Have you tried anything else, and more importantly, how come everyone does not already know this. (My first blush guess is that scallions can kill cats if the eat them, but)

Just about any root vegetable will sprout if you stick part of it in the ground, provided it hasn't been cooked first of course. We've got garlic, onions, scallions, and leeks growing in our garden (granted these are all closely related plants), but you can do the same with carrots and potatoes too. Carrot blossoms smell just like cooked carrots :3:. Never tried beets or turnips or anything like that, but it's worth a shot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Because marketing booze to children is frowned on?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

There's also the issue that sweet drinks tend to make hangovers worse. There are few things worse than a Margarita hangover.

If "sweet" in the dominant flavor in your margaritas then you have bigger issues than hangovers.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Because marketing booze to children is frowned on?

I'm not sure why you are equating "fruit flavored" or "sweet" with "marketing to children" since literally every wine that exists is entirely fruit flavored and lots of it is sweet, same with many liqueurs, and very little of it is marketed to children.

And, as many people have pointed out, fruit flavored/sweet beer exists and is actually pretty common.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Earwicker posted:

I'm not sure why you are equating "fruit flavored" or "sweet" with "marketing to children" since literally every wine that exists is entirely fruit flavored and lots of it is sweet, same with many liqueurs, and very little of it is marketed to children.

Vaping

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Earwicker posted:

Or just actual wine, if you want something fruit flavored and alcoholic (and there are plenty of wines that are very sweet)

That said I disagree that beer and fruit don't go well together. Fruity lambics can be great. And while citrus doesn't work well with hoppy beers, it does go extremely well with wheat beers.

Counterpoint: Grapefruit Sculpin IPA by Ballast Point owns.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Muttonchips posted:

Seeing as this thread is over 1000+ pages long, which question has been asked the most number of times?

Probably something about Excel.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jake Snake posted:

Looks like some kind of wild phlox to me, pretty close to this one: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PHPA9

Maybe, but it seems that at least that kind of phlox has five petals per flower, whereas the ones in my area (at least in my yard) only have four petals:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Where is your area? Could it be Dame's Rocket? If not, you can use that website to ID it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
e: double post

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone know any good exercises for someone who is depressed? Not looking to lose weight specifically, but to increase what little stamina/strength i have.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rabbit Hill posted:

Where is your area? Could it be Dame's Rocket? If not, you can use that website to ID it.

That might be it, thanks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ash Crimson posted:

Anyone know any good exercises for someone who is depressed? Not looking to lose weight specifically, but to increase what little stamina/strength i have.

Go running.

But not near any cliff-tops, okay?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Bravo posted:

v:shobon:v I'm being serious. I find Little Creatures, 4 Pines, James Squire and Sierra Nevada pale ales taste fruitier than other types of beer. To me, Sierra Nevada tasted of passionfruit. But there's every possibility that I'm accidentally beer snobbing hard here.

quote:

no different beer flavours
OK, poorly worded. I meant you (I?) don't usually see, say, strawberry flavoured, mango flavoured, grape flavoured.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

v:shobon:v I'm being serious. I find Little Creatures, 4 Pines, James Squire and Sierra Nevada pale ales taste fruitier than other types of beer. To me, Sierra Nevada tasted of passionfruit. But there's every possibility that I'm accidentally beer snobbing hard here.

I agree, I'm not a big pale ale fan but some of them definitely have a fruity taste. I'm not really sure what that poster is getting at by emphasizing bitter because there are all kinds of drinks and foods that are both very bitter and very sweet at the same time, it's so common we should really have a word for it..

Hyperlynx posted:

I meant you (I?) don't usually see, say, strawberry flavoured, mango flavoured, grape flavoured.

Strawberry is one of the most common flavors of lambic. Grape is not all that rare either.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Earwicker posted:

I agree, I'm not a big pale ale fan but some of them definitely have a fruity taste. I'm not really sure what that poster is getting at by emphasizing bitter because there are all kinds of drinks and foods that are both very bitter and very sweet at the same time, it's so common we should really have a word for it..

Strawberry is one of the most common flavors of lambic. Grape is not all that rare either.

Oh, I see! I guess I am in fact not beer snobbing hard enough... Come to think of it, I have tried kriek cherry beer. I assumed that was due to a special type of hops, rather than actually putting cherries in it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

kapalama posted:

Oh holy poo poo, I missed this. I gave the dried, wrinkled scallion skins to my cats, who ate them. gently caress. That was a few evenings ago, and they seem fine, so I guess they dodged a bullet?

e: phoned the vet. They're probably OK; I'm to keep an eye on them and only panic if they get worse.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L1tr0PIx20

Does anyone have the Vine with this dancing guy in a green polo and khakis, and the speed and colors are distorted so it goes with some kind of funky remix playing in the background?

The lyrics sound like "shup, dobbadoobadop. Shup, two, three, ye-ah. Shobbadooba dop. Shup, dootdoot how I love ya" and there's a whipcrack when he points up.

Also I think the name of the vine was "Dream Feet" but written in nonstandard characters.

Edit: The reason I couldn't find it is it wasn't a Vine after all. http://wunkolo.tumblr.com/post/140900519952

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 1, 2016