Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Tonight I played Zarya for the first time since the game actually released (because the other times I played her didn't go so good)

I tried to get a lot more on-the-spot with using her barriers only after people started taking damage and holy poo poo is she ever the pick for comps that just pick whatever and then mash faces into places they do not belong.

Maybe you win, maybe you don't, but you do have fun and kill lots. You also really surprise Reinhardts who don't realize they just charged your beam up to 100 after hitting you twice with your bubble up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Why is Skirmish mode even in the game? It's actively worse than just letting me open boxes and browse skins

It's a holdover from other team shooters for whatever reason.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Can you level up or earn loot boxes playing against the AI? I want to try some new characters; but I don't want to let the team down, and still come away with something.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Bill NYSE posted:

Can you level up or earn loot boxes playing against the AI? I want to try some new characters; but I don't want to let the team down, and still come away with something.

At a slower rate, but yeah

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

for some reason my most average deaths on a character is Reinhardt (9.02). zenyatta is one of my lowest (5.27).

my two favorite characters, junkrat and reinhardt, both have my lowest win percentage (43%)

why am i bad at the characters i love :(

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
What does a vote for Epic/Legendary even do? I never see a +xp bonus for it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Akumos posted:

What does a vote for Epic/Legendary even do? I never see a +xp bonus for it

It does nothing but make people feel good.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Gives you the horn

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So just life TF2, the Egypt map is the worst one in this game.

What a loving chore to play no matter what team you're on.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXWN_4y7WI
Did this get posted? tl;dw: Hanzo has insane hitboxes for headshots, including Torbjörn's extending 1' over his head, and Widowmaker and Tracer having head hitboxes wider than their shoulders.

e: missed an 'l'

This explains a lot. Thanks. I was dueling a Hanzo at midrange as widowmaker yesterday and got owned, now I know it was bullshit head hitboxes vs pretty honest head hitboxes. I had several shots that I was shocked weren't hits.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Internet Kraken posted:

So just life TF2, the Egypt map is the worst one in this game.

What a loving chore to play no matter what team you're on.

I like it the best :)

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Pakled posted:

It does nothing but make people feel good.

lmao seriously

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm high...noon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h46xc6uaXbM

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was convinced that the votes would give you an exp boost if you hit the 5 or 10 vote marks until I actually looked at my exp bonuses today

kind've a bummer but I guess people would just vote for themselves if you got something out of it

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I think Blizzard should take a page from the Rocket League book in regards to POTG. All players can click to skip it. If every player on the server gives zero shits about what the POTG is it gets skipped. There's so much down time between matches that any effort that might trim that time down a bit would really be appreciated. Of course, just like Rocket League, some rear end is going to force us to sit through the whole thing (especially if they are featured) but at least there's a CHANCE we can get that 20 seconds of our lives back.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Finally got this in the OP. Couldn't come up with a silly title all afternoon, so I just went with what I had.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Yeah, that's the thing which sucks about turret (Bastion might as well be one) plays of the game.

Some grumble about it and others might say they're mad.

Really, they're just lamenting 20 seconds lost to yet another turret doing the predictable.

Also, since we're unable to skip it, I kinda wish PotG was weighted more to show a winning team's plays. Seeing some McCree Deadeye 2 people away from the objective is silly.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone know if his grenades explode on direct hits with enemies? I can't tell in the bot practice mode, all damage in there seems like it registers a second late.

I keep trying to use Lucio's alt as a Pyro airblast and use it to deflect grenades.
It's also going to take my brain ages to realize the OW Egypt map isn't the TF2 one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Whenever you get the potg and it's a horrible and boring play of the shame, you should have the good grace to be embarrassed for yourself in chat.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Whenever you get the potg and it's a horrible and boring play of the shame, you should have the good grace to be embarrassed for yourself in chat.

I once got potg as Pharah, but my wireless keyboard bugged out during the play and I just fell into a corner and had no idea where I was and took a second to get my bearings.

Had a few laughs

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You mean when you pull out a riptire, only manage to kill an unaware Reinhardt showing up right in front of you looking for health, get shot execution style by lucio... But your corpse kills three more people in the process?

:eng99:

Honestly I wanted my more embarrassing death to be Potg from the enemy. I mined Reinhardt into the air but was too close so I went up to... And he proceeded to aircombo me to death with his hammer :downs:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i die an embarrassing amount to junkrats corpse grenades

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Sometimes they just kinda line up for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpnfYcZBPTI

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Sometimes though you get a POTG where Toblerone ults and goes ham and cheese on the enemy team with his hammer. Makes it all worth it

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I got a triple kill as Lucio while standing on the payload less than 3 meters from the last point (we were on defense) and at the same time I dropped my ultimate on our whole team. The triple kill won us the game because we were in overtime and that cleared away the last of the enemies.

POTG was a Genji double kill.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it true that Torb's turret will use a med pack to heal its self if you build it on top of one?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

DrPlump posted:

Is it true that Torb's turret will use a med pack to heal its self if you build it on top of one?

It's probably true but I can't think of a scenario where the turret would be both on a medpack and in a useful spot

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Daric posted:

It's probably true but I can't think of a scenario where the turret would be both on a medpack and in a useful spot

First point in Volskaya, inside the little building would be okay I guess.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DrPlump posted:

Yes, I just saw a video of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlbw14S1rak

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Or maybe all three of the Ilios points, since they all have med packs behind a wall on the other side of the point.

Not great spots, there's many better spots that still don't quite work due to the game mode, but it may get a kill or three there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've been playing like utter poo poo the last 3 days and every game my team loses.

I think it's related to the poo poo I'm dealing with IRL right now or to the lack of playtime caused by the aforementioned poo poo, I wonder if I should take a break from the game for a bit.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 31, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've been playing like utter poo poo the last 3 days and every game the team loses.

I think it's related to the poo poo I'm dealing with IRL right now or to the lack of playtime caused by the aforementioned poo poo, I wonder if I should take a break from the game for a bit.

This was me last night. I took like a 2 day break and came back to find that I was absolute garbage. Didn't win a round out of like 10 games. Take a break, then play Tracer and murder everyone.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Its a computer program picking the replay, not a spectator and if the biggest kill got the potg every time it'd be ten times more boring than it is now.

I had what felt like 7 kills with a soldier76 ult and a few regulars and a riptire triple kill gets the potg. Cest la vie, save it your own dang self if it was so good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got potg twice today as Mercy for doing some sick resurrection poo poo. Feels good, man.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've been playing like utter poo poo the last 3 days and every game my team loses.

The matchmaking is just hosed or not working at all. I'm objectively horrible and sitting at around a 14 wins over 50 quick matches so far (and a smaller amount but similar ratio in the arcade mode brawl thing, but not sure that's recorded anywhere..?) and it's often just a complete stomp. It's just getting rolled time after time with maybe one hard earned win an hour, and it's intensely frustrating. If the game were any less fun I'd have just given up at this rate, but even when I'm enjoying a relatively fair match there's still a sour taste since I know the next four are just gonna be assrapings. :( I'm kind of hoping something kicks in later, if it stays like this Blizzard is going to bleed away a lot of the non-hardcore sorts.

(Also I've only gotten a single thing better than blue from a loot box, and it was a highlight intro. Maybe the game just hates me specifically. :geno:)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The fact that PotG doesn't always reward you makes it more satisfying when it captures your sick nasty Geni kill spree where you cut down 4 guys with your ult and reflect McCree's fan fire into the last two guys :hellyeah:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Asimo posted:

The matchmaking is just hosed or not working at all.

It works, but it takes a pretty long time for your MMR to finally settle. It took me in the range of 350-400 games before my win rate finally started to approach 50% in closed beta. I'm currently up to about 200 games now, and hovering around the 50% mark, but I mostly owe that to having become a much better player since when I started playing in closed.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Vince MechMahon posted:

I got potg twice today as Mercy for doing some sick resurrection poo poo. Feels good, man.

I've had 4-5 Mercys get potg today by shooting (and missing) people until the rest of the team dies and THEN using rez, just for the team to die to 1-2 ultys right on top of us. People are trying to play the potg system that doesn't effect how fast they level or if they win or not and it's making me angry at videogames.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is like the other day when on a losing match I get a card as Hanzo for my 11% accuracy and it's like drat Overwatch you could have just kept this between us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lant posted:

I've had 4-5 Mercys get potg today by shooting (and missing) people until the rest of the team dies and THEN using rez, just for the team to die to 1-2 ultys right on top of us. People are trying to play the potg system that doesn't effect how fast they level or if they win or not and it's making me angry at videogames.

I got the Hanzo "Superior" PotG screen thing, then bought the Lone Hunter skin. The next game I very specifically let my team get poo poo on in the really closed alleyway in King's Row so I could get a 4-man ult so everyone had to see my cool new skin/victory screen combo. It was worth it.