Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Poetics are just for Ironworks gear it seems? So I can store them up from roulettes and use them for my various alts to go from 50-60 instead of MB gear which I already burnt my money on kitting out my main class?

I still have oils and things in my inventory that I don't quite know what they're for but I think they're for a weapon you could get in one of the 2.X patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Poetics are also for the level 60 anima weapon. If you have any designs on that, start buying the Unidentified ______ at the Poetics vendors - need 20 of each.

If you're currently leveling a character, then yeah, Poetics gear + Carbontwine/Carboncoat will last you through level 55.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zolthorg posted:

Poetics are just for Ironworks gear it seems? So I can store them up from roulettes and use them for my various alts to go from 50-60 instead of MB gear which I already burnt my money on kitting out my main class?

I still have oils and things in my inventory that I don't quite know what they're for but I think they're for a weapon you could get in one of the 2.X patches.

You should also not buy marketboard gear. Ask a goon crafter. It is stupid easy/cheap to poo poo out HQ gear at almost any level. I made an entire ilevel 115 set for my monk yesterday mostly with mats I had laying around and about 10k in gil.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

New Additional items on the mog stuff from some other holiday events. 5 dollars for a panda minion

...wait 2 dollars for a dance emote....poo poo

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

You should also not buy marketboard gear. Ask a goon crafter. It is stupid easy/cheap to poo poo out HQ gear at almost any level. I made an entire ilevel 115 set for my monk yesterday mostly with mats I had laying around and about 10k in gil.

If there are any goons who want to craft level 50 sets I want to get working on my
Paladin/Warr, Monk, Dragoon and Archer again at some point soon as I've done too many roulettes on my main class and i've only just gotten Leviathan unlocked at level 52 already D:
I also have BLM at ~basically 50,

The crafted stuff should be Cross class which would cover Drk and Mch too I guess

I have WHM covered and I'll worry about SMN again when I get to whatever the Heavensward/60 equivalent of darklight is

This is a serious proposal to do business by mail D: I can get the stuff by checking the market boards and mail it to whomever with gil and get it back.
I'll try asking next time im playing as well, but its usually the same people on during the night so if they're not omnicrafters or any crafters i'll have to find people on here/ffgoons

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zolthorg posted:

If there are any goons who want to craft level 50 sets I want to get working on my
Paladin/Warr, Monk, Dragoon and Archer again at some point soon as I've done too many roulettes on my main class and i've only just gotten Leviathan unlocked at level 52 already D:
I also have BLM at ~basically 50,

The crafted stuff should be Cross class which would cover Drk and Mch too I guess

I have WHM covered and I'll worry about SMN again when I get to whatever the Heavensward/60 equivalent of darklight is

This is a serious proposal to do business by mail D: I can get the stuff by checking the market boards and mail it to whomever with gil and get it back.
I'll try asking next time im playing as well, but its usually the same people on during the night so if they're not omnicrafters or any crafters i'll have to find people on here/ffgoons

Just ask in FC chat. If you're wanting a full armory chest, that will probably take some time and might cost you a bit, but you will save so much compared to buying the stuff off the marketboard.

For example, in the TPT company chest you can grab a 115 of pretty much any job's weapon. We try to help people out as much as possible.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 31, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just ask in FC chat. If you're wanting a full armory chest, that will probably take some time and might cost you a bit, but you will save so much compared to buying the stuff off the marketboard.

For example, in the TPT company chest you can grab a 115 of pretty much any job's weapon. We try to help people out as much as possible.

I'm in DGKK and actively trying to talk to the freecompany about story quests as they come by and not really getting anyone to engage with. Is TPT more active with people who are working on content? also where even is it if I wanted to switch over, I only knew how to remember 9/11 for DGKK

I'm carting around 900k gil, so I can afford to spend up to like 800k of that to save enough for teleports

The process I used for getting stuff off the mb for Scholar was to spend no more then 25k for important pieces or ~15k for lesser pieces, so if you multiply that out by..
Tank set / Int set / Agi set / Str set, it would be way more then 800k off AH including the extra like 40k per weapon (I haven't even checked for all the specs yet, some weapons might be pricey I assume)

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 31, 2016

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nuebot posted:

Honestly the only problem is that it just runs like poo poo. I was doing fine and then suddenly my stamina just disappeared. Like I didn't get hit by an item or anything, it just started vanishing. Jumping is delayed by like a full second and good luck guessing if your chocobo is actually turning until it's too late. Maybe it's all just on my end I guess, but it's abysmal.

EDIT: Now I have a turtle. Awesome.

The main thing with racing are that you don't have true, direct control over your bo. It will automatically run forward and turn with the track, so you don't really have to worry about steering. Pushing left or right really just changes which invisible lane the bo will run forward in. Pushing up sprints, but quickly wears out your bird and will drain your endurance if you do it too much. Early on in a new race rating will be harder since opponents will have higher stats than you and force you to sprint more to win. Inherited skills that restore stamina help a ton here.

While I said you don't technically need to steer, sticking to the inside of the track does get you to the finish line faster so you'll want to move to the lane closest to the next turn whenever possible. The exception is if there is another bird in front of you. There actually is collision detection and another bo moving more slowly than you will block you / make you waste a dash panel, so you'll want to go around them.

It sucks that there is such a delay on jumping, but you pretty much have to get used to it.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Unknown Quantity posted:

I mean I for one picked BRD to main partially because even counting cross-class skills it only needs 31 buttons to function and I can use 32 comfortably on PS4. It technically uses 32 but I don't really even need the fifth cross-class skill and can just put LB or a food item there instead. Minuet already makes things complicated enough due to being unable to use my off-cooldown stuff while channeling a skill and my connection not allowing stutter-steps in any capacity. Adding even more buttons to finangle would just be terrible.

I use 16 buttons (+summons and buffs on another page) for scholar on ps4 :getin:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zolthorg posted:

I'm in DGKK and actively trying to talk to the freecompany about story quests as they come by and not really getting anyone to engage with. Is TPT more active with people who are working on content? also where even is it if I wanted to switch over, I only knew how to remember 9/11 for DGKK

I'm carting around 900k gil, so I can afford to spend up to like 800k of that to save enough for teleports

The process I used for getting stuff off the mb for Scholar was to spend no more then 25k for important pieces or ~15k for lesser pieces, so if you multiply that out by..
Tank set / Int set / Agi set / Str set, it would be way more then 800k off AH including the extra like 40k per weapon (I haven't even checked for all the specs yet, some weapons might be pricey I assume)

you wouldn't need to spent even 100k to get all the mats to fully deck out everything in 115 gear. TPT is usually pretty good about helping newbies.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

zolthorg posted:

TPT has a bunch of people working through content for the first time, but that's led to a strict no-spoiler policy. So, it might be even worse since conversation about story quests will get actively shut down rather than ignored.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

zolthorg posted:

What timezone do you play in? I'm usually willing to help with story stuff, and if you're just at Leviathan I'd be more than willing to help.

I'm Garmr, btw. :buddy:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it looks like the ffgoons offsite is eating poo poo atm

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Velthice posted:

it looks like the ffgoons offsite is eating poo poo atm

There's an ffgoons offsite?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Thundarr posted:

The exception is if there is another bird in front of you. There actually is collision detection and another bo moving more slowly than you will block you / make you waste a dash panel, so you'll want to go around them.

I actually didn't know about this at all, thanks for the tip.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SilverSupernova posted:

There's an ffgoons offsite?

I knew what I meant, that's the important part

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Finally got over the hump of disinterest in this game, mainly because the sub I paid for actively started this weekend. Plan for now is to take THM to 30 and then Archer to 15, after that maybe some tanking or healing Classes to diversify my dungeon queues to make farming GC tickets a little more lucrative.

Seems like there is a lot of content ahead of me (I just met the Sylphs a few quests back) so I kind of get that feeling I did when WoW first launched that I have a lot to see and do.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Melchior posted:

Finally got over the hump of disinterest in this game, mainly because the sub I paid for actively started this weekend. Plan for now is to take THM to 30 and then Archer to 15, after that maybe some tanking or healing Classes to diversify my dungeon queues to make farming GC tickets a little more lucrative.

Seems like there is a lot of content ahead of me (I just met the Sylphs a few quests back) so I kind of get that feeling I did when WoW first launched that I have a lot to see and do.

There's a shitton of content ahead of you.

The dungeon queues aren't really big enough to speculate in though, I think. If you like playing BLM then that's what I'd stick with if I were you. Branching out is cool, but bear in mind that the first levels are always the least interesting. (Do what you WANT, though, is what I'm trying to say)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Tanking is instaqueue but people kinda expect tank to know everything, healer queues are pretty fast too. If you just wanna kill poo poo, kill poo poo though. You don't need to do that many dungeons while leveling, just every couple of levels or so, and endgame is mostly chatting and waiting for stuff anyway.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I find that, for EXDR and Midas normal at least, my queues are actually faster as DPS than they are for healer nowadays. (Tank beats both soundly, either way.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Join goons, piggyback off their tank or healer queues, play the class you want

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Best one yet.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
You can get so many GC seals from high level FATEs and Expert Delivery as any class that I wouldn't recommend rolling Tank/Healer just for GC purposes.

Edit -

jyrque posted:

You also actually need like 2000 tokens to buy your first mount which isn't that much. The GC hunting log is there for easy tokens.

Even better, it's 200 now.

isk fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 31, 2016

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
You also actually need like 2000 tokens to buy your first mount which isn't that much. The GC hunting log is there for easy tokens.

My suggestion is to just keep progressing MSQ as black mage when you unlock it. You can queue to a dungeon while doing quests and FATEs so dps queue isn't that big of a thing. By all means check out all jobs that interest you but don't feel like you have to synchronise leveling all jobs. Actually it's the best scenario to have a single job at max level first so you can enjoy that sweet armory xp bonus (+100% for any disciple of war/magic class that is lower level than your highest one).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hey all, just letting you know that I know ffgoons is down. They migrated the server to a new thing and it appears to have broken things, and I am still trying to figure out how many things it even broke or what's going on so I have no ETA for recovery yet, but I am working on it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

You don't need any combat class at max level to get the armory exp bonus, you just need a combat class that is a higher level than your current combat one. Having a Gladiator at level 10 and a Marauder at level 20 gives the Gladiator the +100% EXP bonus and the Marauder gets no bonus. The bonus drops to +50% EXP for classes that are lv50+.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mallamp posted:

Tanking is instaqueue but people kinda expect tank to know everything, healer queues are pretty fast too. If you just wanna kill poo poo, kill poo poo though. You don't need to do that many dungeons while leveling, just every couple of levels or so, and endgame is mostly chatting and waiting for stuff anyway.

What is there to know about tanking anyway? I kind of want to try it once I get my pugilist up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nuebot posted:

What is there to know about tanking anyway? I kind of want to try it once I get my pugilist up.

Tanking is mostly about just making enemies hit you instead of everyone else. Everything else stems from that. You do have to understand things like damage mitigation, enemy ability timing, mob facing, things like that. If playing a PLD or DRK you need to learn MP management, moreso DRK than PLD, since you need MP to make enemies hate you more than everyone else. Most of this you can pick up as you go after you do Hall of the Novice for tanks.

Also being appropriately up to date on gear is most important for tanks.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Nuebot posted:

Tanks are generally considered the defacto dungeon leader, because they set the pace of how encounters are managed. It's usually expected you know where to go, which enemies are the most dangerous (for marking purposes), and that you know all the boss gimmicks.

As far as actually doing the job goes, all you really need to know is that your primary job is to keep enemies engaged with you instead of your healer. Keep the enemies pointed away from your party, generally, and rotate your threat combo through enemy groups, mixing in your AoE threat generator, like Flash or Overpower, or whatever Dark Knights have. If you're not leveling Gladiator/Paladin, get it to 22 anyway, for Provoke, because it'll be useful for the other tanks, and is essential at higher-level content. Once you get your DPS/Threat stances around level 30/40, it's generally smart to have your threat stance on for trash packs and the start of a boss fight, then switching to a DPS stance once you have a good threat lead on the boss.

Once you get the basics down, it just becomes a matter of learning to adapt to changing situations. I've only got experience tanking LLDR, so I can't speak to raid tanking, but it's not been nearly as intimidating as it can sometimes seem to new players. Besides, most people are good, so if you tell them you're a new tank they'll be a bit more forgiving.

Kwyndig posted:

Also being appropriately up to date on gear is most important for tanks.

Yes, this is important. Tanks, more than any other job, benefit from keeping their left-side gear as up-to-date as possible, to keep your defense and vitality high.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 1, 2016

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Tank is the secret Easiest Role, in my opinion as someone with nearly all 3 at 60. The ability to simply just do your job requires by far the least amount of effort. However, Tanks also have an incredibly high player skill ceiling when it comes to being a Great Tank, even more so than some DPS jobs. If you want to be the best Tank you can, that's when you need to learn when you should and shouldn't be in your tank stance, so you can contribute more damage to speed things up. This usually coincides with knowing a specific battle, and how your cooldown management should go. You want to effectively be in your Tanking stance for as little as possible. Usually at the start of a boss fight to build up initial enmity, and then treat it as a defensive cooldown afterwards. Unless a DPS is creeping up on overtaking the attention away from you, then jump back in it for a couple of enmity rotations and drop out again.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It's also about knowing where you should place/face bosses to let your DPS do their jobs. At first, the only thing to consider is pointing the boss away from the group, but later fights involve pulling the boss around so melee DPS can hit their positionals, or turning a boss towards your casters so they don't need to move to worry about a mechanic that's coming up.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ffgoons update: they're working on my server and have been for a while but still no word on what's wrong or an ETA for recovery.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is the FFXIV triple triad site broken for anyone else?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Looks like ffgoons is back up but I haven't gotten any further info from the hosting provider about what's going on and I'm assuming they're updating the ticket as I type, so hopefully it stays up?

e: My guess is that they migrated it and used the ORIGINAL system version image that I started the server with forever ago, which is Ubuntu 8.04. I have since upgraded it because 8 loving years is a bit long even for an LTS but I don't think that quite transferred in whatever their migration process is. I would not be surprised if the hours of radio silence other than "we're working on it" is them manually updating to a more recent LTS, heh.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 1, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

This is pre DRK(i think), but is still relevant as far as i know.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

zolthorg posted:

Do the Coils of Bahamut. Get Final Coil gear. It'll last you for most of HW.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

SonicRulez posted:

Do the Coils of Bahamut. Get Final Coil gear. It'll last you for most of HW.

It's easier to just buy the Ironworks gear (and augment it). Final Coil gear is the same ilvl (except for the weapon), except its very likely you will get hosed by RNG and either never see it, or lose the roll to someone else in the group.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

DarkstarIV posted:

It's easier to just buy the Ironworks gear (and augment it). Final Coil gear is the same ilvl (except for the weapon), except its very likely you will get hosed by RNG and either never see it, or lose the roll to someone else in the group.

Yes, but Final Coil gear looks nicer. If you were gonna augment the stuff, you'll be doing Coils anyway, no? To get Carbontwine and stuff. Plus the weapon is actually better than an augmented Ironworks weapon. You can do it with goons if you're really worried about getting screwed by RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

A typical night in Alex Savage:

Thanks Shaezerus!

• Locked thread