Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

“So-called Top Gear“ has never been more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I watched the BBC version online but I noticed on my DirecTV listings BBC America had the premiere as two hours long. Did they manage to come up with an entire hour of commercials to stick in there, or are they showing Top Gear and Extra Gear back to back and trimming out a third of each to fit commercials into, or some other option?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Extra gear is only about half an hour.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I liked the new track format, with the rallycross-style jumps and mud driving. I thought it was interesting.

I'm trying to think of what else I liked. That Nomad thingie looked like it would be fun to drive. That segment where they invaded the training village in California with the WRX was pretty entertaining.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Wow. I'm not getting out the torch and pitchfork just yet, but this setup is obviously... raw.

I liked the genuine enthusiasm from the Extra Gear crew, Sabine trying to quote Top Gun, and Matt talking to the camera.

Chris Evans needs to play to the camera and not the studio audience. And lose his radio fear of not filling every single second with his own voice. And maybe not so much fake emotion. Chris Harris just needs time to get comfortable in front of a camera crew. Rory is great and why isn't he on the main show.

There are good parts. But not enough of them yet. At least it's still got gorgeous cinematography.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ola posted:

Insecure much?

He's going to meltdown on his radio show today.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Never heard anything of Evans before, made a point not to check anything of his out before TG aired and honestly couldn't imagine he was as bad as people who have already watched this thing were saying...

Watching now and how does this man have a radio show? His voice and mannerisms make me want to force the blunt end of a dinner spoon into my ears.

At least the show still looks nice.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

This is the first time i've watched a Top Gear where the mute button actually improved it.

Couldnt watch the first bit of the Viper section with sound on. Evans is such an absolute cockwad...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I didn't care for Evans all that much either, but Leblanc was kind of stilted too, even in the segments. His face had a "I'm not entirely sure what to do, better smile and nod" look throughout both the studio and film bits.

Just make Extra Gear a permanent trio with Sabine and make that the Top Gear crew, imo. I like Chris Harris.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Evans has an OK radio voice, but on the radio he does not have to shout. When he does, like in this episode, he's grating and insufferable.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Harris sitting in a studio isn't all that great (still fine though). He should be live on the TV behind Sabine and Rory conversing while driving something very fast around a track, then you get the best out of him.

I would watch that news segment.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

There were little nuggets where I thought that maybe given some time that it could work. LeBlanc was great during the filmed bit, but it is really hard to replace the chemistry that came with doing it for so long, and I didn't think that it would be an instant meshing of personalities, but Evans is just tough to want to watch during the studio segments.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

davebo posted:

I watched the BBC version online but I noticed on my DirecTV listings BBC America had the premiere as two hours long. Did they manage to come up with an entire hour of commercials to stick in there, or are they showing Top Gear and Extra Gear back to back and trimming out a third of each to fit commercials into, or some other option?

I watched on bbca last night. There were a poo poo load of commercials. They threw one in the middle of SIARPC for some reason, even. Was the BBC broadcast one only 60 minutes? Then if so, it was a minute of show to a minute of commercial.

Regarding the actual show, the Chris guy seemed like he was on coke, and Matt seemed like he drank a roofie colada. Hopefully they can even out or something.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's gone guys.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think the biggest problem is how jarring it is going from the previous presenters to the current presenters.

Between Clarkson, Hammond and May, Hammond was the shoutiest and he wasn't usually front-and-center. Clarkson and May's style was laid back - they weren't trying to sell you anything. It was more, they were treating you, the viewer, as one of them - a car guy, knowledgeable BUT check out this new Corvette.

With Evans, he's more like a salesman - shouty, assuming you don't know much about cars, hoping you don't know much about cars, p.s. please like us! There isn't a friendship with the viewer, it's more a business relationship where he's trying to sell you on this show. And it doesn't work.

Leblanc reminds me a lot of Adam Ferrara. In a good way, mind you.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
The best thing Clarkson ever did was kill top gear

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I really wanted to like it but chris evans is just so much worse than I expected. There are some glimmers of hope but he's so ridiculously fake and annoying it just ruins everything. Leblanc seems fine, a little forced but he can get a pass for now since presenting a show like this isnt really his thing. I think he just needs a cohost that is actually likable enough for them to play off each other in a genuine way.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Long Francesco posted:

I really wanted to like it but chris evans is just so much worse than I expected. There are some glimmers of hope but he's so ridiculously fake and annoying it just ruins everything. Leblanc seems fine, a little forced but he can get a pass for now since presenting a show like this isnt really his thing. I think he just needs a cohost that is actually likable enough for them to play off each other in a genuine way.

I agree, but what about the new series?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Long Francesco posted:

Agreed. LeBlanc is fine and will likely get better, but would benefit from someone that he had better chemistry with, which is probably anyone but the shouting ginger. That guy is just bad.

The rumors of them not getting along are probably somewhat true. There's just zero chemistry there and it comes off as maybe 'they don't like each other'. They probably get along fine, but there's no magic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tide posted:

Agreed. LeBlanc is fine and will likely get better, but would benefit from someone that he had better chemistry with, which is probably anyone but the shouting ginger. That guy is just bad.

The rumors of them not getting along are probably somewhat true. There's just zero chemistry there and it comes off as maybe 'they don't like each other'. They probably get along fine, but there's no magic.

LeBlanc gets a guest spot on Gran Tour :getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
FACT: Top Gear can be easily fixed if someone lights a giant grease fire in a Taco Bell dumpster and then throws Chris Evans into it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Not a terrible idea.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looks like the reviewers were pretty down it the first episode, which is not surprising at all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CornHolio posted:

Between Clarkson, Hammond and May, Hammond was the shoutiest and he wasn't usually front-and-center. Clarkson and May's style was laid back

Jeremy "POWER!" Clarkson isn't shouty? :raise:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Looks like the reviewers were pretty down it the first episode, which is not surprising at all.

Also worst TV ratings in like 10 years.

The best parts of TGUK were the B-list American actor being as :smugdog: as possible, the middle-aged German woman who mangled Top Gun quotes and made an American fighter pilot puke, and the 2 non-whites who got deported to the after-show ghetto at the end.

:britain:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

howe_sam posted:

He's usually more oafish than brash, a kind of orangutan who learned the received pronunciation, yet sometimes sees a mirror and begins to thump his chest and shout before realizing he's being watched by the handlers.

Hammond was more of the exuberant one who wanted to pretend he was eight years old again

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Well the previous lot did that episode with their mums, I'm sure this could work as well.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

fyodor posted:

Chris Evans' voice is unlistenable. How does he have a career in radio? Or in front of a lense?

edit: that was pretty bad.

It's an indication of how dire British prime time TV & radio was in the mid-90's that he came across as a breath of fresh air back then. Plus he usually had sidekicks & musical interludes to dilute his dickishness.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

howe_sam posted:

He knew when to be quiet. He usually wasn't very shouty in the studio.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I liked Rory over Evans 100 times better as the exuberant host type, but he's such a happy young pup (without a fleet of Ferrari's yet, sadly) so he won't get that top job for a while. I can't think of any aspect of hosting the show that Rory wouldn't have done better except maybe slobbering up to Gordon Ramsey.

LeBlanc is fine he just needs someone to talk smack back to him (like one Jeremy Clarkson.) He would fit right in to TGUSA, and he's a freaking hundred millionaire or something from all his Friends $$$$ so he has got to personally own some ridiculous cars (which I don't think was mentioned). Top and Extra I don't see as living separately for long and we know Harris can be a smartass with random Americans and do road trips like on Drive.

I want Sabine to make me barf.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 31, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Whats been the UK reception of the show, and in particular, LeBlanc?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The UK reception has been identical to the American one, but with the added burden of a large class of people upset because they have to hear people at work talk about Top Gear, and the subclass that is upset to hear people talking about how they luckily dont associate with anyone that would talk about Top Gear.

The Guardian got mad because they were forced to admit they missed Clarkson.

Leblanc is not seen as being the problem with the new show and is not blamed for any of the production missteps and clumsy attempts to address the prior host exodus. Everyone places the blame on Chris Evans.

Source: Red top tabloid websites and /r/britishproblems

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'd like to say that if it were any other show, or if it were a new show, a season or two of refinement would give it a good chance. It's clearly not settled in yet, it's not quite a proper cohesive thing. If it had a time to come together properly, for everything to be moulded into place, for the show to adjust to fit what it's supposed to be, it could be a good show.

I'd like to say that, but unfortunately Chris Evans might just be bad enough to have killed the show before it really starts. I feel like if he was on a reality show, he'd either be voted off immediately or never be allowed to leave, depending on how much torture the show involved. Like, if I'm A Celebrity was the show I'm A Celebrity pretended to be, Chris Evans would spend the next eternity neck-deep in poisonous spiders, gulping down a diet of kangaroo turds and tapeworms.

I'm kinda hoping that they replace him entirely and try to make a watchable show out of Top Gear. It's not going to survive an entire season with him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

shadow puppet of a posted:

The UK reception has been identical to the American one, but with the added burden of already knowing exactly what Evans is like, and being denied the American's faint hope that he might be ok.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tricky Ed posted:

Rory is great and why isn't he on the main show.

Good news!!

https://twitter.com/MrRoryReid/status/737029452652281856

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

How far out are these filmed? When is the first episode that they are filming where Chris Evans is aware of how episode 1 was reviewed? He can barely contain any negative reaction he has to anything so it might be interesting to see his tics and twitches and odd timing ramped up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Someone in here said they filmed four studio segments in a row which doesn't bold well if true.

The second one is probably damage limitations but they could conceivably go back and re-cut the footage/do new voice overs for the others. I think it would have to be pretty loving dire though and if they did it would be an indication that there is very serious problems.

You think they would've done a test pilot to sort out these issues. Anybody watching this can see it isn't working.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Poor Chris Evans. :(

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/31/oops-captain-america-got-blamed-for-how-rubbish-the-new-top-gear-reboot-was-5916126/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

They couldn't keep him at the back of the bus, he's like the Rosa Parks of motoring shows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if they did test it with a carefully curated BBC test audience.