Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pilchenstein posted:

I really want to know what that last panel in the Squires is referencing.

Adam Goodes is an aboriginal AFL player who used to play for the Sydney Swans. During a match in 2013 against Collingwood a 13 yr old girl called him an ape. Goodes heard her and reported it to the match officials who removed her from the stadium. Collingwood officially apologised to Goodes for her racism, the teenage girl apologised saying she didn't know it was a racist comment. Goodes accepted the apologies and asked the community to support the girl instead of blaming her.
For the next two years Goodes was regularly booed by fans of teams he was playing against. This came to a head in 2015 where Australia had a big loving talk with themselves essentially asking, guys are we racist? Or is the real racist the black man who had a 13 year old girl thrown out of a match for calling him names, because that's, you know, heavy-handed and that's really why we're booing him?

Yeah.

Goodes has now retired but continues to campaign for aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander rights.

eta: a quick comment on the plain packaging you were talking about earlier. Australia has had plain packaging on cigarettes for a while now and the design that UK is planning looks to be the same as over here. Drab olive green was chosen because it was considered as the most unattractive colour in existence.

Helith fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Now they just need to put the warning message in a big red circle on the front and back to get people's attention.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So who's the guy smiling ignorantly at the horrified looks in the last panel? I'm guessing not Goodes given the complexion.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tesseraction posted:

So who's the guy smiling ignorantly at the horrified looks in the last panel? I'm guessing not Goodes given the complexion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ahh, thanks! Sorry I lost it over the page.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the rise of Donald Trump – Donald Trump took a wrecking ball to the political establishment as he got more primary votes than any Republican in modern history – all with no political experience"

Telegraph:

Boris Johnson as PM is 'horror scenario', says Juncker EU aide

The i paper:

Hiroshima memory must never fade, Obama says on historic visit

Times:

After Hokusai.

Mail:
Mac on... the impact of French strikes on the Bank Holiday weekend

'Spending your bank 'oliday in France, eh? Ooh 'ow I love to talk to 'andsome Eenglish men...'

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... the impact of French strikes on the Bank Holiday weekend

'Spending your bank 'oliday in France, eh? Ooh 'ow I love to talk to 'andsome Eenglish men...'

Mac hasn't ever seen an actual woman before, right? I mean an actual alive real human person walking around kind of woman, he drafts these characters based on hearsay and tales passed down through the generations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Mac hasn't ever seen an actual woman before, right? I mean an actual alive real human person walking around kind of woman, he drafts these characters based on hearsay and tales passed down through the generations.

Vat are yoo talking about, hon-hon? I would have ze sex wiz zat woman, oui.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nobodyssweetheart posted:

You mean other than the obvious confidence trickster posing as a sex worker who stole all his holiday money the one time that he went to Europe, which is why he now hates foreigners?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Britain and Libyan refugees – In practical terms, David Cameron’s thinking doesn’t really add up: a western warship can do little to stop the methods smugglers use to send people to sea"

Telegraph:

EU referendum: Miliband 'call to arms' for young voters

Times:

Stephen Collins:

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Guavanaut posted:

You mean other than the obvious confidence trickster posing as a sex worker who stole all his holiday money the one time that he went to Europe, which is why he now hates foreigners?
Mac was on a special trip to Paris to see the very real glamour ladies at La Cage aux Folles.

Oy, what a punim.
I missed you, Ed Cartooniband. Even in BOB form

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 29, 2016

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"David Cameron's referendum nightmare - Chris Riddell on alooming crisis for the prime minister"

Sunday Telegraph:

Chris Evans says new Top Gear will be 'less blokey' and have none of Jeremy Clarkson's 'naughty schoolboy' jokes

Independent on Sunday:

Zika crisis: WHO rejects 'move Rio Olympics' call

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"David Cameron's referendum nightmare - Chris Riddell on alooming crisis for the prime minister"

for the love of god chris how many loving times must you make this one cartoon

e: actually looking back it's been a good year or so since he did his last Nightmare Monsters cartoon so i guess this has been a creative time for him.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 29, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well it was a recurring nightmare...

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Conservative party's divisions – The EU referendum has caused rifts in the Tory party, with backbenchers calling for the prime minister’s resignation"

Telegraph:

Independent:

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
Is there anything else going on or is it going to be Brexit cartoons up until June 24?
I like the googly eyes on the Rowson one

e- had the date wrong

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 31, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We might get lucky and have a terrorist attack or something else to relieve the monotony but we're into the Purdah period which prevents the government from making last-minute announcements to make us all happy to be in the EU.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Tory disarray over EU referendum – Conservative party turmoil escalates with open call for David Cameron to quit" Also Harambe gorilla killing: Zoo defends shooting

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Goya.

Times:

Mail:
MAC ON... People smugglers

Guardian Sport:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So hyped for every single political cartoon being this.

Mac's will be a big breasted woman devouring an ethnic stereotype.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was thinking that the Cronus painting surely isn't that popular but.. apparently it is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Getting some mixed messages from that Mac.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian Sport:

Holy poo poo, that last panel is ♪good, good, good, good, good, good, good. ♪

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

OwlFancier posted:

I was thinking that the Cronus painting surely isn't that popular but.. apparently it is.
The loop will complete when Chris Riddell draws someone having a nightmare of Cronus devouring his children.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's EU campaigning – David Cameron hailed ‘proud Muslim’ Sadiq Khan as he shared a platform with the new London mayor to launch the Britain Stronger in Europe battlebus"

Telegraph:

EU referendum: Concern over immigration delivers a 'significant' poll boost to the Leave campaign as voters react to claims over UK border control

Independent:

Battle of Jutland centenary marked

Times:

After Hassall.

Mail:

Guardian Australian Sport:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was a bit curious about Khan's face here when I saw it this morning, but more and more it does seem like the "I HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE" 1000-yard stare.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

British cartoon culture lesson #1: there are, in actual fact, only about twenty or so pictures from the past that have ever been made, ever. Somehow at least three of these are all Low's Rendezvous.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Angepain posted:

British cartoon culture lesson #1: there are, in actual fact, only about twenty or so pictures from the past that have ever been made, ever. Somehow at least three of these are all Low's Rendezvous.
We get at least one of these every year, usually during the party conferences.

And the political opponents carving up the globe... Plum Pudding In Danger? That one totes on the regular.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 2, 2016

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Australian-style immigration system – Adopting an Australian-style immigration system could ‘crash our economy’, David Cameron has warned"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
MAC ON... Immigration points system

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
MAC ON... Immigration points system

I'd actually visit if their border control was that chill.

Oh, wait, "12 pints and you're in." It's a no-Muslims thing. gently caress off, Mac.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Guavanaut posted:

Oh, wait, "12 pints and you're in." It's a no-Muslims thing. gently caress off, Mac.

To be fair, I'm perfectly willing to believe that Mac doesn't know Muslims don't drink alcohol.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

If you look at the picture the pints are for the border guards who are all drunk and the family in the background are bringing another box of beer.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Guavanaut posted:

I think you're over thinking it. I read it as border control drinks twelve pints and just waves anyone in.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

"pints system" - it's an Australian accent joke. Good grief.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At first reading I just thought it was an Australians are drunks joke. Then Australians are drunks and their officials are easy to bribe.

Looking at the worried looking stereotypical Islamic family in the corner though, I wouldn't put it past Mac making a "you have to drink 12 pints to get in, checkmate Muslims" crack.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
Yes, yes... Mac is terrible but there's a more pressing issue: Why do these crocodiles have only one nostril? :iiam:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You guys do see the family carrying a case identical to all the opened ones, don't you? Its obviously a "pay the beer toll" thing.

And as always I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Mac at least always has the decency to include a joke in his comics, as opposed to, in this case, Brookes. So he's an Australian crocodile who eats refugees, but he doesn't want a points system? Guh?

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cliff Racer posted:

You guys do see the family carrying a case identical to all the opened ones, don't you? It's obviously a "pay the beer toll" thing.
Yes. But it's clear from how little effort went into clearly staging it that Mac's mainly highlighting the hilarity of a points/pints Australian accent joke (as Wolfsbane said up there) which only half works. If they were immigrating to South Africa then we'd be in business.

Also in my vocation as cartoon fact-checker: those cases only have 9 beers in them. That Muslim family better have three more in their plaid luggage or it's off to Nauru!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also the family in the corner looks so similar to a Farside style stance that I'd almost want to say it could have been traced except Mac's never done that before.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The real mindfuck is that Mac is implying the Australian system is somehow lax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on John Major and George HW Bush's relationship – A freedom of information request has revealed the close relationship between the former prime minister and former US president"

Telegraph:

Donald Trump to visit UK on day of EU referendum result

Independent:

Jeremy Corbyn says 'overwhelming case' for staying in EU

Times:

Mail:
MAC ON... Crossing the Channel