Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Jack Trades posted:

Also none of Xrd's characters really spoke to me. There's no Q, Vega, Balrog, Cody, Big Band or Nero in there. Everyone is way too anime for my liking.

the running theme among all these characters is hanging back and throwing out strong pokes & xrd has like six characters that can do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The adjective "anime" is meaningless, is more my point

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

The adjective "anime" is meaningless, is more my point

It is. I just read it as "flamboyant and probably fanservicey as gently caress" and it usually translates well enough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
it never fails to astound me that there are SFV players drawing breath on this planet at this very moment who refuse to play anime games on basis of not liking titty when loving Laura exists in SFV

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Xrd definitely subscribes to patchwork game design school (you lose meter if you walk backwards too much? What is that horseshit?) and it's got way too many over-complicated systems.

melty bloods mechanics are way more confusing than GG, all the little intricacies involving how meter is built and how people take damage aren't required reading for low/mid level players and every other mechanic is just "push button combo at this time to do thing"

meanwhile melty requires you read a wiki to understand what each moon style does for you because they change so much yet explain so little

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 31, 2016

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is Ibuki playable yet?

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

So let me get this straight, the planned dlc releasing this month is no dlc, but they did confirm ibuki will be out by June 30th? I requested and received the dlc schedule capcom put out themselves earlier in the thread, and essentially they can't stick to their word?

I'm not surprised really, I just quit playing this game season pass be damned.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Negative penalty is like a complete non-issue in Guilty Gear and could probably be removed without much issue. The rest of the mechanics do a good enough job of promoting the desired style of play that it seems superfluous, to the point I doubt the majority of players ever think about it until the one time in a thousand games when the warning pops up in a situation you were running away for 10 seconds to win by timeout.

But it's also weird to me that so many people complain about it, especially in lieu of the easy targets in XRD like Blitz or Danger Time. Whining about Guilty Gear mechanics/characters and then bringing up Melty Blood is funny, though. Definitely a game with very simple mechanics and inspired and interesting character design!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

melty bloods mechanics are way more confusing than GG, all the little intricacies involving how meter is built and how people take damage aren't required reading for low/mid level players and every other mechanic is just "push button combo at this time to do thing"

meanwhile melty requires you read a wiki to understand what each moon style does for you because they change so much yet explain so little

I can explain all you need to know (as a beginner) about MB moons in a sentence tho. Crescent is the base mode, Half is simplified, you auto-burst at full meter and can't hold shield, Full doesn't have Reverse Beat so it has overall better normals, kinda good if you're coming from other airdashers or even SF. It's grooves, just read up on how they affect your favorite character or if you can't be bothered, pick Crescent.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dias posted:

I can explain all you need to know (as a beginner) about MB moons in a sentence tho. Crescent is the base mode, Half is simplified, you auto-burst at full meter and can't hold shield, Full doesn't have Reverse Beat so it has overall better normals, kinda good if you're coming from other airdashers or even SF. It's grooves, just read up on how they affect your favorite character or if you can't be bothered, pick Crescent.

I know how they work, I'm talking from the perspective of a new player.

You're also criminally simplifying things, each groove mostly/completely changes properties of your normals, what normals and specials you even have, how meter building works, how bursts work, how shield works, your aerial movement and how much guard bar you have.

This isn't like cvs where they just add new options onto a base character chasis, they completely change how the character plays and yes you can "just read up on how they affect you" but you can also "just read up" on what negative penalty is so that's not really relevant

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

AnonSpore posted:

it never fails to astound me that there are SFV players drawing breath on this planet at this very moment who refuse to play anime games on basis of not liking titty when loving Laura exists in SFV

Laura's design is definitely as fanservice-y if not worse than most of the female Xrd cast. To make matters worse she's pretty forgettable; she's just "that one titty jiu jitsu lady" to me :v:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Negative penalty is like a complete non-issue in Guilty Gear and could probably be removed without much issue. The rest of the mechanics do a good enough job of promoting the desired style of play that it seems superfluous, to the point I doubt the majority of players ever think about it until the one time in a thousand games when the warning pops up in a situation you were running away for 10 seconds to win by timeout.

But it's also weird to me that so many people complain about it, especially in lieu of the easy targets in XRD like Blitz or Danger Time. Whining about Guilty Gear mechanics/characters and then bringing up Melty Blood is funny, though. Definitely a game with very simple mechanics and inspired and interesting character design!

because negative penalty has been in the game for like over a decade so pretty much everyone has heard from All The Good And Smart Players that negative penalty is BAd

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Definitely a game with very simple mechanics and inspired and interesting character design!

m8 don't be talking poo poo about melty's character design

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

I know how they work, I'm talking from the perspective of a new player.

You're also criminally simplifying things, each groove mostly/completely changes properties of your normals, what normals and specials you even have, how meter building works, how bursts work, how shield works, your aerial movement and how much guard bar you have.

This isn't like cvs where they just add new options onto a base character chasis, they completely change how the character plays and yes you can "just read up on how they affect you" but you can also "just read up" on what negative penalty is so that's not really relevant

So think MKX variations. I'm just saying both games are arcane BS but you really don't need to understand every single arcane detail to pick them up. I mean, if you're just getting into the game, isn't that sentence basically how you'd answer "so what are these moon things"?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play marvel

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fereydun posted:

play marvel

play skullgirls it's a better marvel

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dias posted:

So think MKX variations. I'm just saying both games are arcane BS but you really don't need to understand every single arcane detail to pick them up. I mean, if you're just getting into the game, isn't that sentence basically how you'd answer "so what are these moon things"?

in melty blood if you don't understand what specific defensive mechanics you can use then you're gonna spend the entire round blocking.

guilty gear has that same problem to (but to a lesser degree) but "hit these two buttons to parry" always works the exact same way. meanwhile in melty how shield works and what you can get from it heavily changes between groves. if you don't think that's more complicated idk what to say

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dias posted:

real quotes, real people

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Play Smash, it's got the best roster in fighting game (or video game) history

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Play Smash, it's got the best roster in fighting game (or video game) history

Actually that was Ehrgeiz: GOD BLESS THE RING

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

It's not nice to troll tabs

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

@StreetFighter 15m15 minutes ago
We wanted to clear up the confusion around the release of Ibuki in #SFV. She will be released alongside Story Mode at the end of June.

@StreetFighter 13m13 minutes ago
We'll have a blog with more info surrounding the June content and other topics the community has brought up in the next day or so.

@StreetFighter 13m13 minutes ago
Moving forward we will work to communicate information surrounding content releases in #SFV at a much more rapid pace.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dias posted:

Please don't troll

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/737720093652570112

:laffo:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I hope they try to justify the 8 frames

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ah, gently caress this.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Think of it this way you're getting bonus content in June because there wasn't even a character planned in the first place, just story mode!!

Wow!!

I love street fighter vee!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

If I could refund this game I probably would. I even like the actual game but it's like Capcom is actively trying to make the player base smaller and more angry.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What about daily challenges

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah fuckin capcom

i love how it's put out in a tweet, the most spineless way to communicate this

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Did they leave a skeleton crew to put together these updates? What's going on?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Did they leave a skeleton crew to put together these updates? What's going on?

making a fg character takes a shitload of time and planning one for once a month with their small pool of resources probably didnt account for literally any hiccup ever and they probably got resources diverted bc sfv didnt sell very well since they forgot to make the game in the first place

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Waiting patiently for KoF14, Revelator and Tekken 7.

Save us from this lovely rushed fighting game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I could probably design an SFV character in unity in two months

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

What about daily challenges

Your challenge is to maintain interest in the game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Your challenge is to maintain interest in the game.

whoops i lost the game

Markzillla
Aug 31, 2001

No update this month AND they waited until the very last day of the month to tell everyone? gently caress's wrong with these clowns?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

they waited for the final 12 hours of the month to do it which is pretty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

making a fg character takes a shitload of time and planning one for once a month with their small pool of resources probably didnt account for literally any hiccup ever and they probably got resources diverted bc sfv didnt sell very well since they forgot to make the game in the first place

I would agree with you on the first part but SFV doesn't have any character unique mechanics and everybody has like 2 specials and a V-Trigger, the complexity of the character by character design has been super limited so far. It makes me think the situation is like 4 people in a Tokyo basement somewhere hitting the server reset button once a week in between non-stop working sessions to just get something out the door at the end of the month