Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

oldpainless posted:

I don't know if thats true. It's probably not I mean it's a goddam museum so they probably got their facts straight. I just wanted to be part of the conversation cuz it's been a rough day and I needed some human contact this was a big mistake forget i said everything ok

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't get it.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
High school hatefollow is at it again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that weeaboo Trumpers are a thing that exists.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't get it.

This man loves LeBron James so much that he literally wishes he had given birth to him.

Sometimes you just have to discipline bad children through nuclear annihilation.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 16:25 on May 31, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"I am not ok with militant dictators having nuclear weapons. I would however give them to Trump in a heartbeat."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
"They would have fought to the last person if something awful wasn't done."

We did it y'all. We stopped a war!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chaoticgeek posted:

Not exactly what you wanted, but the sentiment of UGH WHY DO SHEEPLE CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THINGS OTHER THAN THIS THING THAT I REALLY CARE ABOUT is the same:

Matt Walsh is an enormous piece of poo poo and every hot piece he writes is basically 'why care about X when n babies were aborted?'

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Hecuba posted:

High school hatefollow is at it again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that weeaboo Trumpers are a thing that exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXfk5lpLew

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Possibly the best sentence ever uttered on TV.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I love the woman's reaction.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

You read it here, Something Awful ended WWII.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I wish this was still true and no one but those guys wanted to vote for Trump.That way he would not have a serious shot at being elected.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Wasn't Japan in the process of/close to surrendering when the bombs were dropped? I've heard that mentioned a couple of times, but my knowledge of the Pacific theatre is very limited.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Wasn't Japan in the process of/close to surrendering when the bombs were dropped? I've heard that mentioned a couple of times, but my knowledge of the Pacific theatre is very limited.

They actually turned down surrendering a week or two before the bombs dropped.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Many Japanese wanted the war to end and knew they weren't going to win. The Allies had the Potsdam Declaration which was total and unconditional surrender which the emperor didn't agree to. So then the Allies dropped the two bombs after which Japan surrendered.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Many Japanese wanted the war to end and knew they weren't going to win. The Allies had the Potsdam Declaration which was total and unconditional surrender which the emperor didn't agree to. So then the Allies dropped the two bombs after which Japan surrendered.

If memory serves it's a bit more complicated than that; the emperor was mostly just a figurehead. The military had the real power. A ton of high-ranking military people who held a lot of influence thought that it was literally impossible for Japan to lose. When it came to the people who could make the decision to surrender actually discussing actual surrender put one at risk of assassination; it was disturbingly common among this group to suggest that Japan should fight to the last man no matter what the cost.

Even so by the time the bombs were dropped Japan had already had its defense utterly ruined. There were discussions amounting to "we're hosed, let's pack it in" but people wanting to continue the war anyway. Apparently there were also plots to assassinate the emperor and remove the position entirely because he was starting to think "you know we should probably surrender like...real soon."

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Is it just me, or are "ignoring the Holocaust" and "bombing the Japanese" two weird examples to put next to each other? It faults the USA for participating and also not participating in WWII.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves it's a bit more complicated than that; the emperor was mostly just a figurehead. The military had the real power. A ton of high-ranking military people who held a lot of influence thought that it was literally impossible for Japan to lose. When it came to the people who could make the decision to surrender actually discussing actual surrender put one at risk of assassination; it was disturbingly common among this group to suggest that Japan should fight to the last man no matter what the cost.

Even so by the time the bombs were dropped Japan had already had its defense utterly ruined. There were discussions amounting to "we're hosed, let's pack it in" but people wanting to continue the war anyway. Apparently there were also plots to assassinate the emperor and remove the position entirely because he was starting to think "you know we should probably surrender like...real soon."

Yeah, even when unconditional surrender was on the table, there was a near-coup by the Army to stop it. They got as far as taking over the Emperor's palace and NHK before finally being convinced to stand down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%ABj%C5%8D_incident

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn't we modify the whole unconditional surrender part after the bombs were dropped? Part of the debate is whether that would have made a difference before the bombs were dropped.

On the other hand, Japan got nuked and still acted all, "war crimes are so subjective." Germany was a truly defeated nation after WW2. I'm not entirely sure Japan would have been had we not gone nuclear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

trapped mouse posted:

Is it just me, or are "ignoring the Holocaust" and "bombing the Japanese" two weird examples to put next to each other? It faults the USA for participating and also not participating in WWII.

The people who conflate the two usually believe that Japan would have peacefully surrendered without an invasion or bombing and that everyone should have seen "obvious signs" that Jews were being genocided.

As usual, the truth is more complicated than that. The ambiguity of Japanese surrender has already been discussed, but the true magnitude of the Holocaust wasn't really known until GIs started stumbling upon concentration camps. Even the local Jews spent much of the war knowing that they were being taken but not knowing that mass executions were occurring.

Much like the Pearl Harbor conspiracy theories, they rely on hindsight and information that the historical people lacked at the time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The article is about firefighters coming over from South Africa to help fight the fires in Fort McMurray, Canada (which have pretty much destroyed a city and are really loving things up). It's a pretty good feel good story about people from another part of the world coming to help fight a natural disaster. Most of the comments on Facebook about this have been positive and thankful. Please notice I said most.

I figured I would give the idiot the colour black because that seems to be his favourite comment, and at least people were calling him out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is Notch a good example of a Libertarian or would you just call him a FYGM idiot?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

"My post has nothing to do with race. Blacks in South Africa are a very dangerous group."

How can someone even manage to seriously put those two statements right next to each other :psyduck:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

oldpainless posted:

The bombs being dropped were the first steps in the Cold War. America wanted to let Russia, who was going to start operations against Japan shortly, know that they were willing and able to use an atomic bomb on a nation. There was also the added bonus of finally convincing Japan to surrender days before Russia would have been able to claim some sort of cooperative role in the Pacific.

The bombs weren't dropped to "end the war" the bombs were dropped to avoid the next war.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Is Notch a good example of a Libertarian or would you just call him a FYGM idiot?

I don't recall him being a libertarian. I thought he was just a coward.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Despite numerous headlines how OBUMMER wasn't going to apologize for dropping the A bombs the AMERICAN PATRIOTS know ODUMBER can only get his rocks off by secretly apologizing for tragic circumstances 70 years ago. Also lol baracks a muslim. This was posted shortly before the kid was tagged shirtless chugging a bottle of Jameson. What a great memorial day tribute.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

His deal with microsoft is a great example of FYGM. Though he was still sad because even after pocketing ALL the money for himself and NONE for the people who were actually working on the thing, he didn't get to keep their friendship. You really can't have it all :(

Grem posted:

Last page firefighter guy was brought up but I more fondly remember Titanic guy. May they both rest in peace.

Who was Titanic guy?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

nerdz posted:

His deal with microsoft is a great example of FYGM. Though he was still sad because even after pocketing ALL the money for himself and NONE for the people who were actually working on the thing, he didn't get to keep their friendship. You really can't have it all :(

It's the loving liberals that are destroying America. Not the immigrants, or the terrorists, not the government, and not Trump. They have become these giant bigots who can't tolerate the slightest bit of criticism without resorting to violence. They're children who like to throw a fit about anything that doesn't go their way, and at the same time they expect you to go along with all their bullshit.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
Someone shared this on Facebook with me.

A picture of a print out of a Facebook meme. I was going to print the picture and then fax it to my email and then post the PDF here. Decided against it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RareAcumen posted:

Notch isn't a libertarian, he's just the latest example of money and attention amplifying a person's character traits. Donald Trump will do literally whatever it takes to get his face on TV, Elon Musk thinks technology is cool and doesn't care so much about people, Notch is a self-aggrandizing, paranoid misogynist.

If you want a prominent "Got Mine" libertarian, try Peter Thiel, who apparently spends his time and billions of PayPal dollars these days bankrolling lawsuits against people who are mean to him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RareAcumen posted:

The latter. If someone is a Libertarian, they'll let you know.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's the loving liberals that are destroying America. Not the immigrants, or the terrorists, not the government, and not Trump. They have become these giant bigots who can't tolerate the slightest bit of criticism without resorting to violence. They're children who like to throw a fit about anything that doesn't go their way, and at the same time they expect you to go along with all their bullshit.

gently caress Lottery of Babyloned again

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Immolat1on posted:

Despite numerous headlines how OBUMMER wasn't going to apologize for dropping the A bombs the AMERICAN PATRIOTS know ODUMBER can only get his rocks off by secretly apologizing for tragic circumstances 70 years ago. Also lol baracks a muslim. This was posted shortly before the kid was tagged shirtless chugging a bottle of Jameson. What a great memorial day tribute.

Hey be happy with your right wing idiot meme bingo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

The latter. If someone is a Libertarian, they'll let you know.

Okay, gotcha. Great responses all around.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nerdz posted:

Who was Titanic guy?

A Facebook aquaintence of goon Old Memes. He was quirky, spouted off randomly about odd things and had an irrational love of all things Titanic. The books, history, movie, Celene Dion, etc. It was adorable and a breath of fresh air in a thread full of the worst humans imaginable.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Checks out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If God actually cared about abortion he would stop them. Unless of course he is building a fetal army in preparation for the final battle of good and evil.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Besesoth posted:

Notch is a self-aggrandizing, paranoid misogynist.

God drat this description fits so well after his "stop using mansplaining #cuntfused" twitter meltdown.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FreudianSlippers posted:

If God actually cared about abortion he would stop them. Unless of course he is building a fetal army in preparation for the final battle of good and evil.

Head crabs?