Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sniep posted:

write a distributed map reduce function in Erland

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i would love it if erlang replaced the loving 15-second spin-up of all of these loving ephemeral java turds i have to use every day to cluster compute

idk why those apache morons chose java and then designed a process that emphasizes the gently caress out of all of javas worst qualities

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Corla Plankun posted:

i would love it if erlang replaced the loving 15-second spin-up of all of these loving ephemeral java turds i have to use every day to cluster compute

idk why those apache morons chose java and then designed a process that emphasizes the gently caress out of all of javas worst qualities

it's so the erlangers among us can :smug: and tell them we solved all their problems 30 years ago

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

obstipator posted:

i had to "upgrade :rolleyes:" to mac outlook 2016

I'm about to do this to about five people that already hate me - how bad is it really? I mean Entourage was trash, Outlook 2011 is "okay". Is 2016 really bad again?

fwiw office 2016 on vmware fusion supremacy

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm about to do this to about five people that already hate me - how bad is it really? I mean Entourage was trash, Outlook 2011 is "okay". Is 2016 really bad again?

fwiw office 2016 on vmware fusion supremacy

the only issue i have w/ 2016 that I didnt already have with whatever outlook i was using before is the inability to group automated messages.

other than that, 2016 and w/e prev version is p much the same to me

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
do lcd panels ever alternate lines when updating? i feel like occasionally with fast motion i see what kind of looks like interlacing artifacts (half of the lines are blank/colored like the background under the cursor)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Panty Saluter posted:

do lcd panels ever alternate lines when updating? i feel like occasionally with fast motion i see what kind of looks like interlacing artifacts (half of the lines are blank/colored like the background under the cursor)

no i dont think any LCD panels run interlaced unless somehow you're sending artificial interlaced scan line effect to it, it doesn't even draw lines in sequence in such a fashion.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sniep posted:

no i dont think any LCD panels run interlaced unless somehow you're sending artificial interlaced scan line effect to it, it doesn't even draw lines in sequence in such a fashion.

huh. could be some weird processing thing, this monitor has several features that supposedly improve pixel response but idk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

if you're using an LCD monitor from the 90s or a laptop from the 90s/very early 2000s, you might have an interlaced updating lcd

if you're using anything recent you do not have that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive got a condenser mic hooked up to pc via xlr-usb cable (thats intended for the mic), but in windows its audible only at microphone level set to 93 or higher. thats since i dont have any meaningful amp hooked anywhere, right?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kalstrams posted:

ive got a condenser mic hooked up to pc via xlr-usb cable (thats intended for the mic), but in windows its audible only at microphone level set to 93 or higher. thats since i dont have any meaningful amp hooked anywhere, right?

I'm assuming the USB-XLR cable provides phantom power...there should be a "mic boost" option in the windows sound options under "recording"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

kalstrams posted:

condenser mic? do you have a 48vdc preamp that's powering the mic?

you need to power condenser mics, not just connect them - requires a preamp

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sniep posted:

condenser mic? do you have a 48vdc preamp that's powering the mic?

you need to power condenser mics, not just connect them - requires a preamp

I would think it wouldn't work at all with no phantom but I can['t recall the last time i encountered this

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Panty Saluter posted:

I would think it wouldn't work at all with no phantom but I can['t recall the last time i encountered this

yeah condenser mics work by charging a capacitor and then varying the plate separation, thus causing a current. i dont see how that could work at all without first charging the capacitor up

so since that adapter was made for that mic, presumably it is generating phantom power

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

according to manufacturer, mic draws enough power from the usb bus, so id presume it generates its own phantom power somewhere in there

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm assuming the USB-XLR cable provides phantom power...there should be a "mic boost" option in the windows sound options under "recording"
thats the thing, no mic boost that i see on the 3.5mm stuff

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
it could just be that the adapter cable is a lousy pre. my mbox2 never was much good at providing good gain for a condenser. even the 9v battery powered internal phantom on one mic i tested was better

e: the mbox was bus powered as well, so maybe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

it could just be that the adapter cable is a lousy pre. my mbox2 never was much good at providing good gain for a condenser. even the 9v battery powered internal phantom on one mic i tested was better

e: the mbox was bus powered as well, so maybe
oic, basically not worth the hassle, if i get a preamp i might as well pony up for a better mic, which is not happening before i grind this one into dust

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i wouldnt go that far, a decent pre helps with almost any mic. also yes it will give you room to grow. i dont have any recommendations but im sure there are some ok ones for not insane money

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

let's say I have a .3mm bundle of fibers optic that I need polished down to a very precise bevel between 0 and 45 degrees. the only other thing that would need to be done is breaking off the broken end and removing some jacket, no connector or anything. can I have this done for less than the five grand I'm currently being charged?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just get some sharp scissors

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

let's say I have a .3mm bundle of fibers optic that I need polished down to a very precise bevel between 0 and 45 degrees. the only other thing that would need to be done is breaking off the broken end and removing some jacket, no connector or anything. can I have this done for less than the five grand I'm currently being charged?
very precise polishing is the majority of your costs, but 5 grand sounds too much, unless you have lots of fiber to cut and polish at lots of different angles

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's per probe, and done by the microscope manufacturer in Europe. my boss and I suspect they're way overcharging us. all we need is a broken-tipped fiber bundle refinished into a 0 or 45 degree bevel. I figure it would be too expensive equipment and training/personnel wise to do ourselves, but should be dirt simple and cheap for a place already set up to do this

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it's per probe, and done by the microscope manufacturer in Europe. my boss and I suspect they're way overcharging us. all we need is a broken-tipped fiber bundle refinished into a 0 or 45 degree bevel. I figure it would be too expensive equipment and training/personnel wise to do ourselves, but should be dirt simple and cheap for a place already set up to do this
i can try to get you better price estimate if this can wait a few days, i used to sell fiber optics

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kalstrams posted:

i can try to get you better price estimate if this can wait a few days, i used to sell fiber optics

that'd be super! it's not time-sensitive rn

pm me if you need more details

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

you're not talking about networking fiber, are you? because if you're just terminating fiber it's a hell of a lot easier to use mechanical splices instead of polishing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

endomicroscopy, so the tip has to be optically perfect

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that'd be super! it's not time-sensitive rn

pm me if you need more details
not much more details needed, ill get back to you in some day or two i think

curiosity's sake, that microscope manufacturer comes from which country?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you guys!!! i figured out my outlook issue you guys!!
the trick is to send a references header filled in with a message id for a email u want to be the start of a convo. u do all the stuff server side and then outlook will handle it the way u want bc outlook doesnt have that feature

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

endomicroscopy, so the tip has to be optically perfect

yeah no hairs or anything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gently caress, what's the poor man's simplified autocad for os x (like visio on windows)

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

kalstrams posted:

gently caress, what's the poor man's simplified autocad for os x (like visio on windows)

is a browser based visio alternative ok? ive used https://www.gliffy.com/ for a network diagram before and it seemed ok

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lazydog posted:

is a browser based visio alternative ok? ive used https://www.gliffy.com/ for a network diagram before and it seemed ok
yes but that's diagrams, not poor man's cad (think of drawing a house plan)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

sketchup

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thanks! installed dad seems to be liking so far and it's simple enough for him tho throw up a mockup garden plan

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

kalstrams posted:

installed dad

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

so what

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

what's the yospos approved password manager? do they all support iphone now too?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teen bear posted:

what's the yospos approved password manager? do they all support iphone now too?
1password for i-bone, lastpass works too. keepass is more like just rear end

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
So I have an external hard drive with two had drives and a raid setup but something seems to have gone wrong with the raid bit. I've checked both hard drives and they are both fine but they aren't syncing with each other. What should I do, wipe one hard drive and then put it back in clean? will this sort it out or is there a chance I will gently caress up all my data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

teen bear posted:

I have always found keepass to be needs suiting. Plus your going to be :tinfoil: about the :yaycloud: it should probably be your password manager.