Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

This thread is more mad about their chosen hobby than the xbone thread, somehow

What's going on with the xbone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

It sucked real bad. It maybe still sucks, idk. They're going to release a new one, on account of the current one sucking real bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

it has the wrong kind of ram and no games, apparently

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Lmao at the dude whose clearly never read a financial report offering his opinions on a financial report he misread

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I'm glad we can drag out that discussion and maybe have another argument, this place is too positive.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ButtWolf posted:

What's the funnest deck you've played/built? Links please. Want to try some new stuff.

Kitchen Table Fog

9 Plains
9 Forest
4 Sunpetal Grove

4 Elixir of Immortality
1 Torpor Orb
4 Fog
4 Holy Day
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Wrath of God
3 Angelsong
3 Dawn Charm
3 Moments Peace
3 Defend the Hearth
3 Howling Mine

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just think it's funny seeing earnings figures presented on a fantasy magical wizard art background.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

So with that in mind, let's get back to the original point - Magic the Gathering should completely deepsix their business model and cannibalize their existing revenue streams to turn MODO into Hearthstone to maybe (if their user base recovers) hit roughly the same revenue Hearthstone is getting?
You held this shortsighted position with regards to the reserved list as well (yeah I'm going there :can:). Replacing their business model & revenue stream is a good idea if you the replacement is superior. So lets compare the merits:

Current system:
Pro - if it ain't broke don't fix it
Pro - showing deference to current playerbase's regards for the value of their collections keeps them invested
Con - low usage, low growth
Con - people love to poo poo on it

New system:
Pro - massively massively higher usage
Pro - consistent revenue from a subscription model. Depending on popularity massively increased overall revenue.
Con - One time costs of developing new platform, increased costs to cover scaling from larger player base
Con - have to phase out people's current collections somehow

Also don't latch on to the comparison with hearthstone. The only reason I bring HS up is because it's the only currently extant example that is an alternative we can point to. The goal would not be to recreate hearthstone or hope to achieve the success hearthstone has, the goal would be to eclipse it by doing something new and better.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You held this shortsighted position with regards to the reserved list as well (yeah I'm going there :can:). Replacing their business model & revenue stream is a good idea if you the replacement is superior. So lets compare the merits:

Current system:
Pro - if it ain't broke don't fix it
Pro - showing deference to current playerbase's regards for the value of their collections keeps them invested
Con - low usage, low growth
Con - people love to poo poo on it

New system:
Pro - massively massively higher usage
Pro - consistent revenue from a subscription model. Depending on popularity massively increased overall revenue.
Con - One time costs of developing new platform, increased costs to cover scaling from larger player base
Con - have to phase out people's current collections somehow

Also don't latch on to the comparison with hearthstone. The only reason I bring HS up is because it's the only currently extant example that is an alternative we can point to. The goal would not be to recreate hearthstone or hope to achieve the success hearthstone has, the goal would be to eclipse it by doing something new and better.

We just figured out that there's easily $250m / year in Magic the Gathering sales, I don't get how that's low usage, and they had 182% growth from 2008 to 2013 in the Magic brand.

The Con of "have to phase out people's collections somehow" is pretty loving huge.

Seriously, your entire argument lives in a butt

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel relatively confident in saying that the influx of players to, say, a 30/month for a standard deck (or even all standard legal cards??) model will likely outweigh the exodus of players with massive online collections.

It's not like the people who are on MODO just to play magic are gonna leave if it gets cheaper, and I'd assume that the majority of players on the client are there for that reason.

E: That is, if the value of a collection drops to 0, that happens whether the players stick around or not. I'd assume a large portion of players will just treat it as a particularly obnoxious sunk cost and remain anyway, and a smaller portion will be angry enough at wotc to refuse to continue using the client on principle alone.

E2: It's also worth noting that the money spent on standard decks doesn't even directly go to WotC, which it would in a subscription-based model: it goes to the secondary market, who jack up prices after they get the stuff from WotC. Unlike physical businesses, which provide advertising, play space, and a way to actually sell product, I can't exactly see a reason from the WotC side to make sure the online secondary market continues existing.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 1, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dude you are so not getting it. Magic as a whole grew that much, but who knows how much of that was online? IMO little considering the quoted growth in wpn locations and events. This, during a period where blizzard went from zero to extremely significant revenues by any measure in the same market, by targetting casuals. Their current strategy is fine for the addicts but without growth their just going to get elbowed out of mindshare.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

ButtWolf posted:

What's the funnest deck you've played/built? Links please. Want to try some new stuff.

Legacy UG 12 Post. Tank damage until you drop a Primeval Titan that turns the game around! Go over Blood Moon game 2 by Show and Telling in an Emrakul! Be a dick by Karakas-Newlamoging away all your opponent's lands! Experience the Cold War but with Godzillas instead of nukes in the mirror! Have plenty of time to go to the bathroom after getting stomped by fast combo!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Dude you are so not getting it. Magic as a whole grew that much, but who knows how much of that was online? IMO little considering the quoted growth in wpn locations and events. This, during a period where blizzard went from zero to extremely significant revenues by any measure in the same market, by targetting casuals. Their current strategy is fine for the addicts but without growth their just going to get elbowed out of mindshare.

Yeah, MODO is like 30-40% of their sales.

But the two business models are intrinsically linked. If you have super cheap subscription magic, that completely cannibalizes the paper market, and you kill off all the casual consumers to build a tournament focused online subscription game.

MODO isn't for casuals, but the paper game is, and Duels and whatever the gently caress they've got now are their casual digital products. You want to cannibalize all of that for subscription based MODO that isn't going to be more casual friendly at all, it's just going to be cheaper for the hardcore players.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Pretend I linked Maze'z End, which I still have built on a shelf somewhere.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah, MODO is like 30-40% of their sales.

But the two business models are intrinsically linked. If you have super cheap subscription magic, that completely cannibalizes the paper market, and you kill off all the casual consumers to build a tournament focused online subscription game.

I can think of exactly zero casual players I know who would stop playing paper magic even if there was a cheap online experience.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so apparently eldrazi displacer and reality smasher are playable cards in vintage

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

I can think of exactly zero casual players I know who would stop playing paper magic even if there was a cheap online experience.

You wouldn't know them. I'm talking about the giant portion that never steps into a game store and registers a DCI number, the giant big box market they talk about.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

I'd give serious thought to signing up for a Standard subscription model, because I don't have the time or resources to keep up with a Standard environment that changes every six months, and I feel like I'm missing out on a big part of the game because of this. That said I would still attend the one or two Modern and EDH events my LGS does each month because I already have those decks built, the events occur less frequently, and if I miss a few in a row I haven't completely missed out on a given permutation of the metagame.

Obviously one data point does not a trend name, but the idea isn't without merit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The MODO secondary market is some extremely weird guys, but also it's secretly a lot of real life vendors.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sigma-X posted:

You wouldn't know them. I'm talking about the giant portion that never steps into a game store and registers a DCI number, the giant big box market they talk about.

Why would they want to become shut-in computer nerds instead of hanging out around the kitchen table with friends?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

I guarantee the margins for the product that ends up in a big box store (which these days are premade decks and gift boxes mostly) are poo poo compared to what they could make if they converted literally all of those customers over to the online product they could just play with their friends that way.

I would be willing to bet that Target gets better margins than your local game store, which is paying ~72-75 per box, or around 2 bucks a pack. If you don't think Hasbro would LOVE to cut out the middleman and get everyone who is paying for packs at Target to just give them 2 dollars a pack straight up, you are insane. Those are literally the exact people they would love to create an online game for that could get those people to push their spending directly to them.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Telex posted:

I guarantee the margins for the product that ends up in a big box store (which these days are premade decks and gift boxes mostly) are poo poo compared to what they could make if they converted literally all of those customers over to the online product they could just play with their friends that way.

I would be willing to bet that Target gets better margins than your local game store, which is paying ~72-75 per box, or around 2 bucks a pack. If you don't think Hasbro would LOVE to cut out the middleman and get everyone who is paying for packs at Target to just give them 2 dollars a pack straight up, you are insane. Those are literally the exact people they would love to create an online game for that could get those people to push their spending directly to them.

Your argument is to remove those margins though and only ever collect $30/month from hardcore players, creating a huge barrier to entry for new players, removing gifting (seriously look at their Q4 compared to Q1), and piss off everyone who has ever bought cards.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Unless someone different is in charge I don't think the people involved with modo who have spent the last several years desperately trying to get people to buy stuff straight from the shop are going to want to change to a subscription plan. They'd love to sell that poo poo for Magic Duels, I am sure.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

rabidsquid posted:

This thread is more mad about their chosen hobby than the xbone thread, somehow

I like Magic and play Overwatch on my Xbox One: The All-In-One Entertainment Device from Microsoft.

I've even played Magic ON the thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

I like Magic and play Overwatch on my Xbox One: The All-In-One Entertainment Device from Microsoft.

I'm sorry for your experience.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

Your argument is to remove those margins though and only ever collect $30/month from hardcore players, creating a huge barrier to entry for new players, removing gifting (seriously look at their Q4 compared to Q1), and piss off everyone who has ever bought cards.

Your argument is that. My argument is that the casual players who don't even net Hasbro 30/mo would net them a significantly larger amount of money per customer than they're getting right now.

My argument is that by creating a casual friendly free to play product that has the option to graduate into higher tiers of spending, while pushing all the margins down to almost nonexistent already sunk costs of existing R&D would boost the overall revenue coming in from MTG products by significantly higher amounts than they would lose by any whiny babbies complaining about this and that, of which I'd even go so far as to say there wouldn't be any real complainers if the product was done right, nobody lost their existing collections and product was cheaper to buy online. Who would be against that? If you're seriously arguing against a cheaper product with more players, you're gonna be in a significant minority.

Also, there's these "gift card" things, maybe you have heard of them. I don't know if they're popular in your area or not. I also heard even Gamestop is selling Steam cards and steam products because they realize there's good money in selling gift cards instead of selling actual physical game product. Who knew!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Soul Glo posted:

I hope you have a good time. Is Magic Duels on there or is it something else

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

ButtWolf posted:

This Nekusar deck which fills your opponent's hands, then smashes them in the face with their own hands. "Not the cards! NOT THE CARDS! AAAAAAH! THEY'RE IN MY EYES!"

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

I had a casual 60 card deck back when I started around World wake. I don't remember the specifics, and I'm on mobile so I can't look cards up. Something like :

4 Llano war elves
4 nest invader
Other small creatures and creatures that made small tokens, especially Eldorado drones
4 enchantment that did damage to opponent if you swung a creature under two power
4 enchantment that did damage when you sacrifice a creature and paid 2
4 beast master ascension
Land

I also had another deck that was similar, but instead of the attacking enchantments, I used rampaging baloths, avenger of zendikar, and WARP WORLD.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Pretend I linked Maze'z End, which I still have built on a shelf somewhere.

Maze's End turbo fog was hella fun. So many opponents were impressed with the deck (whether I won or not.) It was funny that you could actually have your opponent in suspense playing fogs and activating your Maze's End. It was a very inefficient clock but a less insufferable one than trying to outlast your opponent with Elixir of Immortality or something like that.

So who here has tried to play Maze's End in modern and how bad was it?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

In a world of ghost quarters for manlands, Maze's end runs sad.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Deckit posted:

In a world of ghost quarters for manlands, Maze's end runs sad.

That's why Life from the Loam exists.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zemyla posted:

That's why Life from the Loam exists.

But then I can just run Aggro Loam?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I was running a horrible loving mono-white fog deck in modern that was pretty hilarious. 3 font of mythos, 4 howling mine, temple bells, isochron scepter, 16 fog effects, plains, elixir of immortality, a very few dudes with effects to lock out your opponent from casting poo poo. It won by making your opponent discard down to 7 every turn and eventually mill them out. If you got out all your howling mines and fonts, and temple bells, you could make them draw up to 14 cards a turn, and win each round 1-0. It's best against aggro decks like affinity and infect, and really depends on good draws.

I love spirit-breaking decks like that, so I also built Maze's End fog in RTR-Theros standard, and the Hold The Gates-lingering Souls deck in Inn-Dragon's Maze standard. I also ran a land destruction deck in RTR-m15 standard that was pretty hilarious.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

just rust posted:

So who here has tried to play Maze's End in modern and how bad was it?

Sphinx's Tutelage is a better wincon for modern turbofog unfortunately

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

ButtWolf posted:

For Ravnica/Theros standard, I had a white-red enchantment deck that was based around swinging with a Nyx-Fleece Ram enchanted with Ethereal Armor.

2x Gideon, Champion of Justice

4x Eidolon of Countless Battles
2x Heliod, God of the Sun
4x Nyx-Fleece Ram

4x Arrest
3x Assemble the Legion
4x Banishing Light
4x Chained to the Rocks
4x Ethereal Armor
4x Pacifism
2x Sphere of Safety

4x Mountain
11x Plains
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
All these old deck lists make me wish LGS's held retro formatted FNM's

This seems like it'd be fun and most of the cards could probably be had cheaply

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 1, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

so apparently eldrazi displacer and reality smasher are playable cards in vintage

The vintage pros not knowing what the eldrazi cards did by name/art was cute

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
My funnest deck is a casual one I play with 5-6 friends featuring Invisible Stalker, Whispering Madness and Notion Thief. Everyone discards their hand, I draw ~35 cards and even eventually land a Laboratory Maniac.

Or, it's the one with Guttersnipe, Curiosity, and a bunch of rituals, Seething songs, preordains, etc. I cast Pyretic Ritual, you each take 2, I draw 5 cards and make 3 mana, rinse/repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elyv posted:

Displacer is a bit surprising but I can totally see smasher. It's just a big dumb hasty hard to kill idiot in a format where your most common removal spell is Sudden Shock.

• Locked thread