Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

To keep them from squeaking and driving you insane.

edit: regarding burning crayons, youtube has just shown me that you CAN in fact burn a crayon - if you're super hard up for light but still have a reliable source for ignition. They're very difficult to get lit, and don't last very long (~17min), so almost any type of candle would be much better. Life: grudgingly, partially hacked.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

walrusman posted:

edit: regarding burning crayons, youtube has just shown me that you CAN in fact burn a crayon - if you're super hard up for light but still have a reliable source for ignition. They're very difficult to get lit, and don't last very long (~17min), so almost any type of candle would be much better. Life: grudgingly, partially hacked.
Except that when you burn a crayon it puts off a lot of smoke and smells really bad. Your house will smell of burned crayon for days. Due to its size a crayon is also unstable and prone to falling over which is something that I can imagine an idiot who burns crayons in the first place wouldn't think about before setting his house on fire. Overall it's a dumb idea with no use perfect for this thread.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

walrusman posted:

To keep them from squeaking and driving you insane.

You could also light an oily rag. Life: grudgingly, partially hacked

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

plain blue jacket posted:

You could also light an oily rag. Life: grudgingly, partially hacked

Put the oily rag on a stick before you light it for a portable light source. Walla!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why the gently caress would you just not curl up and go to sleep in a blackout? Take that time to have a goddamn nap you loving weirdass pieces of poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Intoluene posted:

Put the oily rag on a stick before you light it for a portable light source. Walla!
Next up: you can replace your quite heavy flint sword with a much lighter and sturdy bronze blade as long as there's copper-tin ore in the vicinity of your settlement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Picnic Princess posted:

Why the gently caress would you just not curl up and go to sleep in a blackout? Take that time to have a goddamn nap you loving weirdass pieces of poo poo.

Someone doesn't live in the sticks. We've gone without power for days and I don't know about you but I can't sleep long enough to sleep the entire time the sun is down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Senator Sprinkles posted:

It's bothering the poo poo out of me because judging from the light it looks like the latch is outside, and an absent-minded or (mean-spirited) kid could easily lock a pet or another kid into whatever building or shed that's attached to. But that's all I can figure about it :shrug:

A reverse image search brings up a gif that fits in the thread.

#crimehacks

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Thanks for keeping an eye on our bad habits and looking out for us and all but sometimes a motherfucker doesn't want to pay $11 for a cup of warm beer at a lovely concert or ballgame, and sneaking some booze in is a cheap alternative

Posted from my iPhone BoozeCozieTM

I apologize. Please accept this booze smuggling tip as an apology

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's already a real, perfect invention for smuggling alcohol. It's called the flask and they cost next to nothing. Up your flaskmanship skills - every burnt out police detective or journalist can't be wrong!

Some liquor comes in them, so I guess that's your lif#hack. Refill plastic bottles.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

well why not posted:

There's already a real, perfect invention for smuggling alcohol. It's called the flask and they cost next to nothing. Up your flaskmanship skills - every burnt out police detective or journalist can't be wrong!

Some liquor comes in them, so I guess that's your lif#hack. Refill plastic bottles.

It's not always that simple. In places where smuggling alcohol is common sometimes they have people that will lightly frisk you and squeeze your pockets, or make you turn them out, to make sure there's nothing flask/bottle shaped in them (my experience with this has mostly been at college football games) with cops waiting to arrest anyone who tries it, so getting creative is often necessary.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:ughh:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Bath toys get moldy as poo poo because kids leave water in them and also kids chew on them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Meowjesty posted:

I'm worried about you, forums posher GOTTA STAY FAI.

Your liver is a hockey puck.
Duh, that's the alcoholic's pro-est tier lifehack--worried about loving up your liver with constant drinking? Remove it and replace it with whatever's handy! (bonus lifehack: store liver with a few cloves of garlic so you're immune to vampire attacks when you re-install it!)

Golden Goat posted:

I apologize. Please accept this booze smuggling tip as an apology

Needs one of those looping neon crazy straws coming out of the top

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Facebook Aunt posted:

#crimehacks

Which kinda ignores the whole reason those new-style door chains (or any door chains) exist. They're specifically for the purpose of allowing you to open the door a little bit so you can talk to someone on the other side while basically keeping it locked. It's pretty hard to imagine a scenario where anyone could pull off this "lifehack" without someone on the other side of the door immediately seeing what's going on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Banana lifehacks for ants

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Bananas are proof that God wants us to hack our lives.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Because you can buy a single diaper.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Golden Goat posted:

Banana lifehacks for ants

blants

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'll have a number 8 please

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

What about black bananas?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Paladinus posted:

What about black bananas?

All bananas matter, racist.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Facebook Aunt posted:

#crimehacks

I have one of those on my front door. I just tried that trick and it didn't work, the door has to be almost completely sealed before it releases. As it's an outside door, it has a thick gasket around the door that stops the paper as soon as the door starts to touch.

Either way, you can easily bypass it by just putting your knee to the door and the screws will strip.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

#crimehacks: buy a hacksaw.:ninja:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mostlygray posted:

I have one of those on my front door. I just tried that trick and it didn't work, the door has to be almost completely sealed before it releases. As it's an outside door, it has a thick gasket around the door that stops the paper as soon as the door starts to touch.

Either way, you can easily bypass it by just putting your knee to the door and the screws will strip.

You can also kick in doors with the chains and have the same effect

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be perfectly honest, if somebody wants to get into your home, they can. The only way to stop it would be to station armed guards around the perimeter, and even that isn't always effective (see White House security breeches for example).

Your average burglar though? He doesn't want to break into your house, breaking into a house is messy and draws attention. He wants to find a nice unattended, unlocked house where he can walk in and walk out with a pocket full of jewelry or untraceable cash and no one but the victim is the wiser.

So security hax are just wasting your time. Just lock your doors and first floor windows and you're automatically going to stop most potential crime.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Yeah the only time someone tried to break into my apartment was when I left a window cracked open (one of those european style windows that tilts outwards at the top) in my bedroom while i was passed out on the couch in the living room. I woke up to the sound of a guy cutting the screen open and ready to crowbar the window the rest of the way open until I walked in and he bolted. Even in non-america where there aren't so many privately owned guns burglars never want any confrontation, it's not worth it in almost all cases.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

To be perfectly honest, if somebody wants to get into your home, they can. The only way to stop it would be to station armed guards around the perimeter, and even that isn't always effective (see White House security breeches for example).

i always forget my security breeches in the laundromat

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if there's any overlap between the security freaks and the spermjack concerned.
I'm gonna patent security underwear to prevent burglars from stealing your spunk.:cumpolice:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Your average burglar though? He doesn't want to break into your house, breaking into a house is messy and draws attention. He wants to find a nice unattended, unlocked house where he can walk in and walk out with a pocket full of jewelry or untraceable cash and no one but the victim is the wiser.

So security hax are just wasting your time. Just lock your doors and first floor windows and you're automatically going to stop most potential crime.

The best security feature is the lights on and a car in the driveway. 99% of burglars aren't going to touch a house that's got someone inside.

The 1% are the ones who are really dangerous.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kwyndig posted:

One of these PYF threads got onto locks for a bit and convinced me to order some lock picks.

I've only been playing with them here and there, and I've found that it's laughably easy to pick the average lock.

So yeah. Your point is true.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HardDisk posted:

i always forget my security breeches in the laundromat

Haha, way to go me, it's breaches. Stupid English homophones.

CommonShore posted:

One of these PYF threads got onto locks for a bit and convinced me to order some lock picks.

I've only been playing with them here and there, and I've found that it's laughably easy to pick the average lock.

Your average burglar doesn't even carry lockpicks, because the penalties if they get caught are actually greater, in America at least, not to mention, again in America, it counts as 'probable cause' if cops find you carrying the things and you don't have a license as a locksmith.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kwyndig posted:

Haha, way to go me, it's breaches. Stupid English homophones.

Your average burglar doesn't even carry lockpicks, because the penalties if they get caught are actually greater, in America at least, not to mention, again in America, it counts as 'probable cause' if cops find you carrying the things and you don't have a license as a locksmith.

In Canada it's exactly like carrying a crowbar around in terms of legality. If you can demonstrate that you have a lawful purpose for them, you're pretty much fine. The last time I carried them, I was bringing them to work so I could open a filing cabinet that had no key.

The point, however, is that the things we trust to protect us are pretty thin barriers against anyone who actually wants to get in, not that people are going to be picking are locks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Senator Sprinkles posted:

It's bothering the poo poo out of me because judging from the light it looks like the latch is outside, and an absent-minded or (mean-spirited) kid could easily lock a pet or another kid into whatever building or shed that's attached to. But that's all I can figure about it :shrug:

No, but with it being reversed it won't catch when the door opens, so might as well have nothing.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Security life hack- don't have anything worth stealing.

This worked for my old office. They busted in, saw a bunch of ancient CRTs and thousands of back issues of the magazine we published. Walla.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I think I remember that conversation. The big point to learn is that locks aren't really meant to be totally secure against anything. They just provide a deterrent for the majority of criminals, who are too lazy or don't have enough balls to try and pick or break locks and risk getting caught. Only the absolute best locks available are actually reliable means of securing your valuables from picking or smashing.

I think my favorite is this lovely combination lock where jamming a pocket knife between the dials lets you feel the correct position of all the dials in a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLCsA9WxAUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Thanks for keeping an eye on our bad habits and looking out for us and all but sometimes a motherfucker doesn't want to pay $11 for a cup of warm beer at a lovely concert or ballgame, and sneaking some booze in is a cheap alternative

Posted from my iPhone BoozeCozieTM

Yeah buying drinks at venues sucks. Too expensive for a lovely beer. That said just buy alcohol Miniatures (the small single serving bottles), wear a long sock, and stuff a few of them into there. Unless you're going to some really skeevy venue, most places won't check your socks.

Then you can just save the bottles for another time. Alternatively buy a plastic bag flask.