Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Also Fetus theorized that the reason Eradicate hurts so much is that it applies the defense debuff before dealing the damage, and while that sounds plausible, it'd also be the only case of that happening in the entire game.

I was wrong about this. Eradicate does not do that. Juggernaut just hits really really hard. Most of his attacks will one shot your party members. But Eradicate is an AOE, so it killing your party members is much more noticeable.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Note that, like Kingly Fire, you can stop King's Rush with a well-timed leg bind.

This is particularly fun if you deliberately don't dispel Berserk Cry and just deal a bajillion damage instead :unsmigghh:

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

theshim posted:

Note that, like Kingly Fire, you can stop King's Rush with a well-timed leg bind.

This is particularly fun if you deliberately don't dispel Berserk Cry and just deal a bajillion damage instead :unsmigghh:

I would have loved to have known that when I first fought Juggernaut. Actually, there were a lot of things I wish I had known during that fight, like what actually caused him to use Violent Cry and subsequently King's Rush.

It was a really, really tough battle not knowing that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Red haired girl? Time travel? A guy who gives things wierd names?

I cannot literally believe you referenced Steins;Gate of all the things you could have referenced. I am in shock.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
e: this was dumb

Rea fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm going to try and predict where Armoroad and Tharsis are in the real world, going by climate and location.

Armoroad: Warm, on the sea. Going by this, basically gives us nothing. My top choices would have to be either rogue Californian coast, a Caribbean island, or Greece.

Tharsis is a bit trickier, but my gut says either somewhere in China, or possibly the Great Plains of America (Somewhere near Colorado or Wyoming).

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Junpei posted:

I'm going to try and predict where Armoroad and Tharsis are in the real world, going by climate and location.

We have a Megathread for this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Whoops, my bad, just piggybacking on what Ragnar said about Etrian being in Shinjuku and Laagard being in Russia.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Well, I must admit, binge-reading this LP has made my last two work shifts a hell of a lot more entertaining. Fetus's EO2 LP is what got me interested in the EO series at all (and of course I'm following the EO3 LP as well), but seeing the differences between the remake and the original is really interesting. Your narrative is well done, too. Great job so far Ragnar, looking forward to the next update.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Interesting thing to note: Etrian Oddyssey Untold is on sale for $10 on the eShop, and Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold is also on sale for $35! If you enjoy the LP, this is a good chance to try to get into the series, the Untold games story modes offer a comfortable pace for learning the games without being too intimidating.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 45: The "Invincible" Jugga Blubba

I get the feeling it'll be a while before we can take on all of those rhinos...
Perhaps we should just take care of that quest where another guild requested our assistance... Oh, I believe that's the client!

This party is something I put together in a failed attempt to try and get the best reward for The test of courage. That didn't pan out, so we might as well just do this one.

Gallant ronin:

Oh, did you have something to say?
We took on your quest. What dumb task've you got for us?
Oh, you're here to assist? That'll be a great help. You see, our guild accepted a quest to exterminate certain monsters somewhere on the 20th floor. It turned out to be a pair of birdlike monsters. It ended up more trouble than it was worth, but we took them out.
So where do we come in?
Well, be patient. I'm still telling my story. There's something a little unusual about these bird creatures, and how they operate... Three pairs of them move as one group. And since we defeated only one of those pairs, there are two more to go...in other words, four birds left. I'm guessing it's because we took down a pair already, but the other birds are laying low, sticking to their nest. Looks like they're fairly riled up, though. If we just met them head-on, things might get unpleasant. Worst case, they might head to the lower floors and cause a lot of damage.
New explorers could use some practice.
Not everyone can just turn into a monster and shred everything in sight, you weirdo.
We should finish them off before they do... But of course it wouldn't be that easy. The two pairs split up to move.
Well, we already have experience killing gigantic eagles. Leave it to us.
Whoa there, hold on. Relax. We do need your help taking down the monsters, but since they split into two groups, we must do the same. If the plan works, our group and your group will defeat the two monster duos simultaneously. The birds we'd like you to go after are here, on the 20th floor.

Our guild will handle the birds on the opposite side. Once we notice that you have entered the 20th floor, we will take action. Good luck!

Our job is to kill these two Enraged Raptors. You've already seen what it's like to fight these things, so I'll just skip ahead.

SYSTEM: Cautiously, you ensure that the beast is no longer a threat... You've done it! The quest has been completed! Standing with pride over your quarry, you hear cheering and celebration from a distant room...

SYSTEM: Perhaps noticing your inquiring gaze, a gunner girl gives you a broad grin, waving her arm in farewell. The ronin client, and indeed the rest of his guild, appears to be all smiling with relief and triumph. You wave back to your colleagues. Their task complete, the group uses an Ariadne Thread to return home. You see them off. You may now return to town at your leisure to report.

Aw, welcome back! Seems like the quest was a big success! Between yeh lot and that guild, I knew I didn't have to worry about a thing!
You seem like you've known them for a while.
Oh, yeah, we're old buddies. Heck, I was the one who told 'em to put up a request when they were havin' problems. And now yeh finished a difficult quest in double time, all thanks to me! The Stickleback's reputation is flyin' high! Heh...but that ain't important right now. Here, take yer reward. See yeh!

Rheine's level up is irrelevant, for reasons you'll see later.

This is the only quest from 23F.

Ahh, that one! I've been saving it for yeh lot! It's from the Explorers Guild. Remember when yeh helped them get our stocks ready for winter? But now, any other guild I send their way gets rejected for not bein' good enough! It's all yer fault! Yeh set the bar too damned high!
Can you really fault us for being too good?
Anyhow, they won't accept a middling job anymore. It's yeh lot or nothing. Wh--Augh! Speak of the devil! Look, uh, I'll be in the storeroom! This is yer responsibility to deal with!

Why would we be digging wells?
Ahem... Guildmaster Marion, are you the one that filed that request?
Ah, the quest you're looking at comes from me. So, he finally gave it to someone competent... I insisted that he hire you for the job, but he kept telling me you were busy. That's all very well if we had other guilds of your caliber, but it appears we are not so fortunate. I grew tired of Cass's wheedling, so I came here directly. Ah, but I digress. The request, then. A noble acquaintance of mine recently had a daughter... I occasionally see her when visiting the family manor, but she seems terribly shy.
But babies are always shy. Except for monster babies.
She recoils and screams at even her maid if she so much as tries to breastfeed her. The sight of me sends her into hysterics, too. But if she's to go out in public, she'll need security. And she's not making it easy on us. However, there is one thing that calms her down...animals.
Babies. Can't understand them.
If she sees a dog or a cat or somesuch, she'll start to gurgle and coo and forget her fears completely. Now, I've heard that some guilds employ trained animals.
I don't know if I'd call Ursa a "trained animal" so much as "a person that happens to look like a bear," but in a sense, yes.
Some are so useful in the Labyrinth, they're treated as full-fledged members, with all the benefits and paperwork that entails. So I'm looking out for any guild with a trained animal to assist us.
How come you can't just raise one yourself?
What? Why don't I raise one myself, you ask? Well, that is... I myself...don't care for animals. It's the fur, you see. No, it's nothing to do with the feel, or the smell, it's just... I can't stand the beasts! Look! All I need is a combat-ready animal! Understood?
Loud 'n clear.

So, what were yeh asked to do? Heh...bring her an animal, huh? I see, I see... Yeh know, it might not have to be an actual animal. Sounds like it just has to look like one, see?
We have no need to resort to disguises--we have a perfectly capable bear waiting for active duty.
Awright, get it done! If yeh mess up here, it's my rear end on the line too!

Cass was referring to an alternate way out in case you haven't been training a Beast. We don't need to do that, though!

Oh, yeh guys... Gah, dammit, she's here! Make sure nobody steals nothin'! I gotta run! Stealthy, now, stealthy...
Cass, I swear, this is the most irrational--

I certainly hope you haven't forgotten. Time is of the essence.
One bear, ready to go.
Hrror!
Hmm...? A-Ah, yes...this one will do. Gah! Don't let it get any closer! I told you, I'm not too fond of animals... A-Anyway... I'll accept this one for now. I suppose I'll be, ah...taking it with me...nngh.
Rrror?
Give me an opponent to fight and I'll make short work of him, but this... Well, I'll contact you when the job is done. Tell Cass to pick this beast up afterward. Immediately. And...not a word about any of this.
It would be quite low of us to spread around one's emotional weaknesses.
Urgh...so much fur... Stop shedding this instant, you beast! Argh...!
Rrrrrrer?
I knew I could count...ugh...count on Lumen.

But I honestly didn't expect that. Who'd have thought that animals were her weak point? Now that's news yeh can use... Haw!
AHEM. CASS.
Ahh, come on now, I won't do anything. Yeh know me. But yeh know, I do get a mite lonely here... Maybe it's time I got a dog for the place. Yeah...a big, shaggy dog. He could take care of burglars, rowdy drunks, unwelcome guests...yeh name it. Right?
Dogs're nice, yeah. Got an ol' basset hound back home. Been with me ever since I was a baby. Had to leave him back at home because he'd just get protective and bark at everything in sight if I brought him here, ha.
Haw haw haw! Looks like yeh've turned out pretty useful for me again. Almost makes me want to add a little bonus to yer reward. Only almost, though. Why don't yeh and I have a niiiiice long wait until the work's done with? Catch up, have a drink! Haw haw haw!

She tried to play it cool, but I could see her sweatin'. Haw! "Take this furball away this instant!" Haw haw haw haw haw! She was completely losin' it! Ahh, I haven't had so much fun in a dog's age, and it's all thanks to yeh lot!
Ba-dum-tish.
Keep up the good work, friends! Haw haw haw!

Medica IVs restore 500 HP to one party member. I'm not gonna show how I invested Phoebe's skill point, because...

Why oh why did I get stuck with this brainless danger again? And why is SHE here?
These two must compensate for the trauma they inflicted on Zachary and Tyler last night.
Why am I being blamed for Ranger trying to teach Zack and Tyler how to cook steak while transformed?!
But all I remember before going to sleep was spilling orange sauce on Realga and her steak.
'Least the two girls of the hour seemed to enjoy that mess in the end.

Meet the Juggernaut party. It only has two damage dealers plus Link Order, but that's fine, because Milly and Ranger are an incredibly lethal combo, especially when Juggernaut's gimmick is factored in.

Holdin' a dinner for two on the last floor of the 4th Stratum... 'Least Jackie knows how to pick good scenery.

Phoebe's unchanged aside from another point in Phys DEF Up. She has an Arm Guard on because arm binds completely shut her down, and Juggernaut's capable of inflicting them.

Orange sauce is too tangy for my tastes. Maybe if I mixed peaches in to make it sweeter...

Ranger just has more points in Force Mastery, really.

Getting called in for every almost every big monster is really getting on my nerves.

I rested Milly to reallocate her Shelter Song/Fire Prelude points into Volt Prelude and Shock Fantasia. I also maxed out Skanda Ensemble since it's useful in more than a few situations.

You try to give your friends just a little push in the right direction, and then everyone gets upset at you. Bleh. At least my plan's working so far...

Jackie is the same level she was for Harpuia. I got lazy with grinding her.

I have always stated that sovereignty is divinely granted, but if that Overlord is truly a god...

Rheine is, much like Phoebe, unchanged.

Let's get on with it, then. Juggernaut is completely stationary at the moment, but that will change shortly.

What we have to do is draw a bomb over here, and then draw it towards Juggernaut.

Like so.

Doing this knocks off around 10% of Juggernaut's HP, but also causes him to aggro to you. This is a very bad thing, since Jugg is REALLY fast. He needs to take a turn to change direction, but at the moment, he takes 3 steps towards us every two steps we take.

I'm really terrible at this puzzle, to the point that I have a solid 3 minutes of raw footage of me just meandering around, trying to hit Jugg with more bombs. All you need to know about Jugg's bomb puzzle is that he will swat away any bombs that collide with him from his front, and every time you hit him with another bomb, the number of steps he takes for every two steps you take goes down by one.

Once you hit Juggernaut with bombs four times, he stops moving, and the bombs will no longer spawn.

Before we fight him, though, I'm pretty beat up from the bombs. What was that blue Pole at the start of the floor?

SYSTEM: You are tempted to reach out towards the pillar of light, though you wonder if you shouldn't ignore it and proceed onward.
Eh, what's the worst that could happen?

SYSTEM: When the light fades, you find that your wounds have been mysteriously healed. It seems that this pillar, unlike a Geomagnetic Pole, has the power to restore one's health. You curiously touch the blue pillar once more, but nothing happens. It may be that you need to give it time to recharge before you can heal yourselves again. Upon reaching that conclusion, you decide to return to the task at hand.

The blue Pole functions as both a once-per-24-hours heal, and a save point. The save point part is very useful, since Juggernaut and the bomb puzzle reset when you leave the floor.

Time t' fight.
Let's give whoever was turned into this thing the eternal rest they deserve!
Does EVERYONE have to shout something long-winded before each big monster?! Gods.
Your shouting was longer than Jackie's.

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Juggernaut :siren:

A quick refresher on Juggernaut's stats:

quote:

Juggernaut
HP: 72000 (can be lowered to ~43200), STR: 60, TEC: 45, VIT: 49, AGI: 28, LUC: 51
Skills:
  • Berserk Cry: Uses the head. Increases all party members' and Juggernaut's physical/elemental attack by 100% for 6 turns. Has a 10% speed modifier.
  • Tusk Strike: Uses the head. Deals 115% melee STR-based Stab damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has a 10% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Brandish: Uses the head. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 20% base chance. Has a 10% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Eradicate: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Reduces hit targets' physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 10% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Putrid Breath: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict blind and poison on the party, with a 25% base chance and 60 base poison damage (around 98 adjusted for level). Has a 10% speed modifier.
  • Violent Cry: Uses the head. Used if any party member has any buffs 5 turns after Berserk Cry. Dispels all buffs on the party and deals 30% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to anyone who has buffs dispelled. If Juggernaut uses Violent Cry, he will follow it up on the next turn with King's Rush.
  • King's Rush: Uses the legs. Deals 250% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Attempts to bind all body parts of hit targets, with a 10% base chance. Has a 10% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Reckless Barrier: Uses the head. Used in response to being damaged with Fire/Ice/Volt. Increases Juggernaut's physical/elemental defense by 75% for 6 turns. Has a cooldown of 3 turns or so, where Juggernaut will not recast it if he is damaged with Fire/Ice/Volt again/
Drops:
  • Normal: Guardian Skin. 100% chance. Sells for 8700 en. 1 needed to make Guardian Staff (+143 ATK, +60 HP, +5 TEC).
    "Sturdy hide fitting for a guardian beast. So hard, some smiths refuse to work with it."
  • Conditional: Sky Metal Tail (Kill while legs are bound). 100% chance. Sells for 17500 en. 1 needed to make Sky Metal Mail (Ronin ultimate armor; +92 DEF, +3 STR, +3 AGI).
    "Tail said to be made of the mythical Sky Metal. Gained by sealing the limbs of the juggernaut."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 150% 150%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 0% 75% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%

Phoebe has nothing better to do on this turn.

Ranger will prep Delayed Chase, like always.

It didn't occur to me until halfway through the fight, but Shock Fantasia's debuff gets purged off by Ad Nihilo, and since Rheine is going to be using Ad Nihilo a lot, well...

I'd rather wait for Berserk Cry before using Burst Shot.

Rheine, similarly to Phoebe, has nothing better to do.

Oh, hey. Would ya look at that.

That was incredibly unlikely, to say the least. Not only is Shield Smite's arm bind chance terrible at level 1 (25%), but Juggernaut has a 22 LUC advantage on Phoebe.

Zip-zap!

It's...decent damage, but Juggernaut has a whopping 43200 HP right now. How will we ever fix this?

Am I crazy, or did that thing's skin just turn to rock?

Oh, right, before we fix our damage situation, Jugg casts Reckless Barrier, since we hit him with Volt damage. Nothing Ad Nihilo can't take care of, even if it will purge off the Shock Fantasia debuff.

Anyway, yeah, fixing our damage.

MAKE YOUR OFFERINGS, RANGER IS HERE!

This is how we fix it.

Juggernaut will cast Berserk Cry this turn, so I have Milly just put Volt Prelude on Ranger.

And Rheine'll take care of that pesky defense buff.

Ahem, ah... "In your face!"
That almost sounded natural.

THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE!

That's nice damage...but it could be better.

I feel... PUMPED UP! OH YEAAAHHHH!
JOIN ME IN THIS SLAUGHTER!
Fantastic, now there's two of them.

Oh, thank you, Juggernaut. In case you missed the stats above, Berserk Cry buffs your party and Juggernaut's damage by 100%--it doubles your damage.

Juggernaut's going to actually start attacking now, so I have Phoebe start using Front Guard.

I should've just kept using Thunder Wave, honestly. Blade Recoil is at a lower level than Thunder Wave is, plus Juggernaut's TEC is lower than his VIT.

NOW it's Burst Shot time.

Only the normal amount of pain, if you please!

WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO HURT?

Yeah, I would've gotten more by just using Thunder Wave. Oh well, 2700 damage is nothing to scoff at.

EEEEEYAHAHAHA! EAT LEAD DEATH, YOU FREAK!

Compare that to Jackie's damage output earlier.

We're dealing good damage, but Juggernaut's not close to dying right now. I have Ranger use Extend, as a result.

Warrior Song will get cut down to 60% of its normal effect (24%), but whatever, I want to squeeze out as much damage as I can.

I feel no rush of murderous rage, but I do feel a pleasant surge in power!

Two normal attacks, both on Ranger, who has Self-Regenerate and just heals them up at the end of every turn. Juggernaut isn't exactly using his turns well.

I've lowered Juggernaut's HP enough that I know for a fact that he's about to use Eradicate, which is very capable of leaving most of the party severely hurt, and Jackie severely dead, so I have Phoebe use Sentinel Guard, in combination with Shield Protect, because there isn't a lot of time left in the fight anyway.

I have Milly turn on War Song to pause everyone's buff durations, and to prepare for Violent Cry. She'll also heal Ranger's TP, since he'll run out otherwise.

I'VE GOTCHA IN MY SIGHTS!

I also have Jackie turn on Action Boost, so she can get the most out of it before I use Supreme Bolt.

Nothin' to fear.

Oh my god that's a massive increase from earlier.

Jackie's close to matching Ranger's damage!

Sentinel Guard took a LOT of the hurt out of Eradicate. It's a 40% reduction to all damage at level 20, in addition to "setting the party's DEF to the user's" (whatever that means on an internal level). With Shield Protect, the 60% damage our party would've normally taken gets further reduced to 30%.

To ensure nothing goes wrong on this turn, I have Phoebe break out Perfect Defense. Remember, Perfect Defense is not technically a shield skill, and is not disabled by Sentinel Guard!

This is gonna be fun.

Uh-uh, no takebacks.

War Song stopped Violent Cry from dispelling our buffs--it's easy to forget that it does that, honestly, since there's so few situations where this would be useful.

I'd normally be worried that Juggernaut's about to use King's Rush, but it doesn't matter in this situation.

Because he's about to meet a very gruesome end.

Alright, people, step it up.

Oh dear GOD.

I TAKE MY OFFERINGS...

BURNED!

OH, JUGGERNAUT, WHO WILL THEY EVER FIND TO REPLACE YOU? ANYONE! HAHAHAhahaha... Woooooah, that was weird.
Thank you for snapping out of it.

Ranger is very strong, what can I say?

So...it seems no monster of my devising can deter you. Then you leave me no choice. Come to the 25th floor, the pinnacle of my stronghold. I have opened the way. Abandon any hesitation and come to me. As Overlord, it falls to me to end your journey myself. One way or another, I shall use the Grail of Kings to instill new life in you...
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice fades away with this ominous promise.
Nope, sorry, can't die yet. Got big, important plans that need fulfilling.
SYSTEM: It seems you are drawing near to the dread Overlord and the Grail of Kings he wields. You consider returning to town and stocking up on provisions before proceeding...

The room to the left of the Juggernaut arena has Japanese Food 5 in it.

This isn't actually the way forward, but I am nothing if not thorough.

This Mine point is basically the only thing in this area.

That encounter meter is dangerously in the red, and I do not want to risk dying after beating Juggernaut. Back to town we go.

Oh, come on.

I upgraded the North Ward because we had surplus funds.

The Gourmet King is in the North Ward, so I just tossed in the most expensive food I had available.

And the other ones.

Guardian Staff (+143 ATK, +60 HP, +5 TEC) is unlocked by selling 1 Guardian Skin. That is an absolutely massive TEC bonus, meaning this is probably the staff you'll be using on anyone that can equip them for quite a while.

That's all for now! Next time: 24F. Only two floors left before the final boss.

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 21, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hey hey, being halfway through the stratum means it's new party time again!

There's not much I can say about characters that you can't already guess by this point, so just vote for a maximum of 5 party members, with a maximum of two votes for a single character.

That's not all, however! There's one extra corollary to this voting session: it's also time to vote for the Overlord party! I am deliberately withholding information on Overlord, except for these factoids:

• Overlord has one elemental weakness, and that is 125% resistance to Volt. He has 100% to everything else
  • Overlord is immune to sleep and curse, and resists more ailments than he's neutral or weak to
  • He has predictable, party-target Fire/Ice/Volt nukes
  • He has not one, but two types of summons

5 votes maximum, at least one character from each category, max three votes per character. I'd prefer if you don't just duplicate your votes, but hey, I can't stop you.

Also note that I reserve full right to call a re-vote if I feel that the party from this voting session is incapable of killing Overlord.

If you need a refresher on categories:

Attack: Zack, Freyja, Stardust, Asriel, Jackie, Tyler, Ranger
Defense: Phoebe, Ursa
Support: Nadia, Realga, Milly, Sophie, Colette, Rheine

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Asriel, Realga, Phoebe, Ranger, Jackie

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

quote:

Huh! That's neat.

Freyja, Sophie, Ursa, Colette, Realga

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Kemix posted:

Asriel, Realga, Phoebe, Ranger, Jackie

BlackPersona posted:

Freyja, Sophie, Ursa, Colette, Realga

Are both of your votes for both the 24F/25F exploration party and the Overlord party, or do you want to vote separately for the two parties?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like the theory that the Juggernaut is Apicius, even though I'm pretty sure there's at least two contradictions to that in the game.

Second Half: Jackie, Ursa, Sophie, Freyja, Asriel

Overlord: Ranger, Phoebe, Freyja, Realga, Rheine

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Are both of your votes for both the 24F/25F exploration party and the Overlord party, or do you want to vote separately for the two parties?

I missed we were voting for the Overlord party as well.

Exploration party: Asriel, Realga, Phoebe, Ranger, Jackie

Boss party: Stardust, Asriel, Phoebe, Milly, Realga

Kemix fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 4, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like the theory that the Juggernaut is Apicius, even though I'm pretty sure there's at least two contradictions to that in the game.

I thought he was Hrothgar on my first run through, but then I learned what happens to Hrothgar in Story mode and was disappointed. The hair is vaguely similar, and the Overlord describes Juggernaut as a protector.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That also could have been a really neat and cruel twist.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That was actually a popular theory that was going around when EO2 first came out. Mind you that game didn't have a Story mode, so Hrothgar was as good as dead there and so there was nothing contradicting that theory until EO2U came along.

Both: Freyja, Asriel, Ursa, Realga, and Stardust.

Might as well end things off with the starting party.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

That was actually a popular theory that was going around when EO2 first came out. Mind you that game didn't have a Story mode, so Hrothgar was as good as dead there and so there was nothing contradicting that theory until EO2U came along.

Yeah, I'm voting for this too. This should be an interesting finale for the main game.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Oh, didn't know we could vote for different parties. But yeah sure both parties

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

First Party: Zack, Tyler, Frejya, Ursa, Realga.

Overlord: Colette, Realga, Ranger, Phoebe, Sophie.

There's only one thing I want to see with this second party, and I'll be damned if it doesn't happen.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I concur with this.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Book ends!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I rested Phoebe to reallocate her Shelter Song/Fire Prelude points into Volt Prelude and Shock Fantasia.

Look, I know names are hard but that's not Phoebe.

But at least you're not forgetting to give people armor anymore.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

RareAcumen posted:

Look, I know names are hard but that's not Phoebe.

I don't even have an excuse for that one--I'm pretty sure I was 100% awake when writing that part. :downs:

Fixed.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results for the exploration party:

quote:

Realga: 7
Ursa: 7
Freyja: 6
Asriel: 6
Stardust: 4

Jackie: 2
Sophie: 2
Zack: 1
Tyler: 1
Colette: 1
Ranger: 1
Phoebe: 1

Current results for the Overlord party:

quote:

Realga: 8
Stardust: 5
Asriel: 5
Ursa: 5
Freyja: 4

Phoebe: 3
Sophie: 2
Colette: 2
Ranger: 2
Milly: 1
Rheine: 1

Anyone not listed has no votes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 17: Flame Demon

Before we go fight the Flame Demon, let's do some more cooking. I went ahead and got the last ingredient I was missing for these recipes.

...Sorry to keep you waiting. Here you go. It turned out pretty well.
...? This is a bit different from the pudding I know.
Is it? I've never seen pudding before.
Yes. To start, the ingredients are quite different as well. First, you would mix flour with beef tallow, then--
Hold on, there! We talking about sweets here, aren't we?
Yes, we are. Did I say something wrong?

You did.
You don't use beef tallow in sweets, right? Wouldn't you use butter?
Huh? But... in my country, that was normal.

Keep going.
Yes, I shall do so. You then add eggs, sugar, some brandy, and dry fruits... Mix them all together and boil.
Then, when it's cooked, you hang it in a well-ventilated place--
H-Hang!?
Yes, you hang them? For about... a month?
...Arianna, you're not trying to fool us, are you?

Dialogue merges here.

Don't be so suspicious of her. Arianna's recipe does exist. This recipe was arranged that so the pudding can be made with much more ease.
I see... The stickiness of the original isn't bad, but this is pretty good in its own right.
Soft and tasty.
Huh...!? U-Um... Where are... our servings?
I was wondering why you two weren't entering the conversation. Why're you eating without us!?
...I'll cut some more slices for you guys.
This'll go on the menu, and I see that some of you already like it, so order it again.

This triples the rate of rare breeds appearing. Handy if you want to go grinding.

...Sorry to keep you waiting. Here you go. It turned out pretty well.
I helped out this time.
Huh!? What'd the hell you do!? Your mother has told you over and over not to touch raw ingredients!
The old man getting that mad... Is Chloe's cooking THAT bad?
Dame Chloe likes to eat, so I would assume she wouldn't make a blunder out of her cooking.
Eating and making are two different things. She thinks it's funny to start throwing random things into the pot.
Trand doesn't trust Chloe at all. Trust me.
Fine. Trand doesn't get to eat. Knight, wanna eat?

There are two different skits depending on which choice you make.

...I'll eat!

...... ......! The chewy and sweet dango matches well with the tangy sauce... It's quite delightful!

Mm-hm! The dango that I skewered are delicious.
Skewered...? Um, does that mean... that Dame Chloe simply skewered the finished dango?
...I originally asked her to roll the dango, but that turned out to be quite a disaster. This is not only for you, but the prototype for the customers, so I limited her role to that.
Kid... That was a fine decision you made.
So, seeing that there's no problem with the taste, I'll add it to the menu. Feel free to order it whenever you feel like.

I refuse!
Chloe hates Knight. What about you, Flavio?
...Er, well... I think... I'll pass, too.
You are too cruel, everyone! Dame Chloe worked so hard to make them for us.
If you are all going to not eat, then I shall eat them myself!
Arianna... Thank you.
......!
These dango are very delicious! The sauce is sweet and fragrant, and the dough is chewy. This is amazing!
Mm-hm!
Arianna can have all of it.
Huh? What about us?
...There's none for those who refused.
That was your own fault this time.
Whenever you feel like it, you can order ones I made from the menu.

This can come in handy if you want to snag kill with Curse damage conditionals. It's also really handy for a couple of cheese strategies that involve the Curse ailment.

...Sorry to keep you all waiting. It turned out pretty well.
My, how cute...! It is a pretty color.
The texture is interesting. Jiggly, glossy... and sometimes lumpy.
W-Wait, Dame Chloe! You must first enjoy the presentation of the cooking...
Oh, it's already a mess...
It's the same when you eat it. I don't mind the looks.

I agree.
Right?

Looks are part of the taste.
That's a lie. You can make something pretty, but if it can't be eaten, it can't be eaten. Chloe... has been fooled before.
...Oh yeah. You bit into a bar of soap, saying it looked like cheese, huh?
That soap is an unforgivable crime.

Dialogue merges here.

But... Dame Regina worked so hard to make it pretty, I wanted to eat it tidily.
...You don't have to mind it that much. Losing its shape is the fate of all dishes.
The problem is you, Chloe. Your pre-meal snacking is the issue.
Chloe eats when Chloe wants.
Wha-- Hey, you're eating too much! Leave some for me, will you!?
Survival of the fittest.
Hey, don't take the plate and run! Wait!
Don't run in the restaurant!
*sigh* I added this to the menu, so next time, eat with a little more composure.

Increases the party's resistance to Paralysis by 80%. Handy for exploring and a few fights. With that, we've completed all the recipes for the 2nd Stratum.

Welcome! Oh, is this about the request...? I'm so sorry, but it looks like you already sold us everything we needed. So we're all set for materials... There's nothing else we need from you. I should have looked at the stock more carefully! This is all my fault! I'm so, so sorry! But Cass should still have your reward, so you can get it from him at the bar. I can't tell you how sorry I am about the mix-up...

And Abigail's dialogue if you already fulfilled the requirements for the Smithy Tompson's request. There's nothing else left in the Stratum, so it's time to fight Flame Demon.

Okay, we're right at Flame Demon's door, so let's see how Guild is doing.

I have Owl Earrings on everyone since that will be important for this fight. And I am using the TP Up food because Knight really can't outlast Flame Demon. Okay, let's get this started.

In the center of the falling red leaves, you detect an intense malevolence beyond any you've faced until now.

The Flame Demon...

Though the Flame Demon clearly notices your intrusion, it placidly stands its ground. The only emotion it displays is the quiet arrogance of a creature of power.

Looks like it's not going to budge until we make our move.
Then let us take the initiative!

The girl boldly declares her intent and takes a step forth. In your view, you wonder if Arianna may be a bit too worked up...

You're not alone, Arianna.
Hmm?
Knight's right.
There's four of us. We'll manage.
Probably.
C'mon, just 'probably'...?
Such brave compatriots...
...Yes, you're right.

The woman smiles warmly to her guildmates after their show of support. You face a dreadful opponent, but there is no need to fear. Take up arms and fight alongside your guild!

Flame Demon
Level: 29
HP: 8790
STR: 26
TEC: 24
VIT: 24
AGI: 17
LUC: 22
Skills:
  • Madness Roar: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict panic on the entire party, with a 45% base chance. Has a 90% speed modifier.
  • Terror's Embrace: Uses the arms. Deals 170% melee STR-based Bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Has a 60% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Inferno Strike: Uses the arms. Deals 350% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to one target. Has a 60% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Kingly Fire: Uses the legs. Deals 300% (on first cast) or 450% (on subsequent casts) ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the entire party. Has a 10% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Dispersed Cruelty: Uses the head. Reduces each party member's physical/elemental attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier.
  • Call Ally: Cannot be disabled. Summons Flame Cubes. Summons 1 Flame Cube to the front row on the first attempt, summons 2 Flame Cubes to the front row on the second attempt, summons 3 Flame Cubes to the back row on the third attempt.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 125% 75%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 50% 0% 50% 50% 0%
0% 0% 10%
25% 75% 50%

Before I get too deep into this boss fight, let me ask you a question. For those of you that have beaten the post-games of the Etrian series, did you enjoy the pattern based true final bosses? If so, great! Because for some stupid reason, Atlus decided to make nearly every boss fight in this game like that! The result is that the boss fights in EO2U are mostly garbage. Now every boss fight is a trial and error fight! Better break out the notebook and pencil, kids. Because chances are you're going to need those if you're doing these blind.

Because I know exactly what Flame Demon is going to do, this fight isn't going to be much of a problem. Unfortunately, that's a big problem with the boss fights now that they're pattern based. Once you figure out the pattern (Or looked them up like a coward), they are mind numbingly easy if you have to tools to deal with the pattern. As I am about to demonstrate here.

Just like I planned!

Oh that's nice.

I have absolutely nothing to worry about on this turn, thanks to Flame Demon using Madness Roar, which my party is completely immune to.

Wow. Yeah, damage wise, I should be fine during this fight.

By the way, if you're playing Story Mode, I hope Scarlet Rain isn't your favorite track.

Because if you're playing story mode, there's a small chance that you may be hearing this song a majority of the time instead.

Also I hope you have a Protector, because a majority of the boss fights in the game were balanced with the assumption that you would have one in the party. Totally not restrictive at all. Seriously, some of their attacks aren't survivable without specific skills from the Protector's skillset.

Okay, let's get some damage going.

Hmph.

Pfft.

That averaged to around 320 damage from Ice Wave, which is a bit less than what Chloe is dishing out. A little girl with a sword is more powerful than a guy with demon powers.

But that's why you set up stuff like Delayed Chase and the like with your Fafnir.

Flame Demon just lost around 1200 HP in one turn. Yeah, time and resources are not going to be an issue here.

Here's the cons of working with only one party instead of multiple in an EO LP. Your basic strategy essentially stays the same throughout most of the essential fights. Why fix what isn't broken and all that?

It'll be a while before Flavio really becomes a damage dealer. Survivalists are not a bad class in EO2U. They're actually really powerful, so don't be too down on using one. Please do not make the mistake of reclassing Flavio into a Gunner or Hexer just because Survalists were garbage in EO2 and EOU. I have seen several players do that and make things much harder for themselves in the end.

While Chloe may seem like an impressive damage dealer early on, she's much better as a support in the late-game. Not because her damage falls off late, but because she has far more of an impact supporting her party. Flavio will take up the role of the secondary damage dealer instead at that point, which is why I don't recommend reclassing him.

Everyone avoided Terror's Embrace there.

Aaaand this is where the fight really starts going downhill in terms of quality.

Flame Cube
Level: 28
HP: 580
STR: 22
TEC: 21
VIT: 22
AGI: 17
LUC: 22
Skills:
  • Explosion: Used on the same turn as Kingly Fire. Used immediately after Kingly Fire. Cannot be disabled. Deals 800% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to each party member. Kills the Flame Cube after use.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 0% 150% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 75% 50% 50% 100% 100%
50% 50% 50%
100% 100% 100%

800% TEC-based Fire damage. That is one of the strongest attacks in the game, and is just flat out overkill. It's to ensure that you get killed by Explosion if you ignore the Flame Cubes, even if you stack up Fire resistance effects. So taking these out is your first priority. Due to the nerfs the elemental walls got in the Untold games, Fire Wall won't protect you against them since they'll block Kingly Fire instead.

Meteor Smash should easily dispatch the Flame Cube.

That would be Sagittarius Shot coming down. Not impressive damage, but his skills are at a really low level right now.

Softening up the Flame Cubes.

Yeah, that took care of it. Really would have liked to hit Flame Demon with that instead, but I didn't have a choice there.

Still, Chloe is making sure that we don't fall behind on damage.

And now it's back to this. I used Transform early because I really want to blow through this fight as fast as possible.

Thanks to Accumulative Resistance, Blind doesn't have much of a chance of landing right now. So I'm switching to Paralysis.

Success!

AHAHAHA, really? I didn't need the Paralysis to proc there, but it's still nice.

May as well power up Flavio.

Chloe status: Still hitting like a truck.

If you haven't taken out the Flame Cube yet, do it quickly once you see that message, unless you want to see the Game Over screen on the next turn. Also yeah, status effects can't prevent this sequence of events. (though Leg Bind can prevent Kingly Fire.)

Knight is stuck with casting Delayed Chase + Freeze Sabre until his Force builds back up.

While you don't exactly need Fire Wall to block Kingly Fire, it is the best way to do so. But if you don't have that, Fire Mists + some Fire resistant equipment may suffice. Though you should probably have everyone defend on that turn for good measure.

Force Boost!

I'm gonna stack AOE Attack Orders on the party for a few turns. This is to deal with Dispersed Cruelty later on.

Okay Flame Demon, do your thing.

Ech. Without Transform, Knight really isn't that impressive.

Though Delayed Chase still hits plenty hard.

A reminder that a little girl is outdamaging Knight.

Kingly Fire may be Flame Demon's “big attack”, but the Explosions from the Flame Cubes are the real worry in this fight. Oh, by the way...

I damaged Flame Demon so much during her second phase, that I skipped the third phase entirely! :haw:

Force Boost!

Now I'm breaking out Flavio's Force Boost to deal with the Flame Cubes.

The Flame Cubes are about halfway dead, meaning that Knight and Chloe can just focus on Flame Demon.

Inferno Strike is coming out this turn (assuming that Flame Demon doesn't get her turn canceled thanks to Paralysis.)

I will use all my might!

I'm using Arianna's Force Boost to restore the party's TP. Though to be honest, I really don't need Proof of Nobility in this fight. Even in Story mode, its usefulness falls off as the game goes on. (Where in Classic Mode, its never useful at all.)

This amount of TP is overkill.

I almost feel sorry for Flame Demon. She didn't really hit our party that often during this fight.

Here we go again.

Paralysis wore off, and I don't want Flavio to waste this turn using status effects that have a very small chance of landing. So I'm gonna have her shove Axcelas down Knight's throat. Unlike EOU, Axcelas are very useful in this game in case you want to refill your Force gauge fast in an emergency.

Protecting the party from Kingly Fire again.

Letting it all out!

Flavio's Force Break can easily dispatch the Flame Cubes and deal heavy damage to Flame Demon in the process.

Arianna joins in on supplying Axcelas for Knight to funnel.

The bombs have been defused.

Once again, Kingly Fire didn't touch the party.

Since Flame Demon is no longer affected by any ailments, I'm breaking out Chloe's Force Boost so she can continue running the pain train.

Bertrand joins in on the “Knight chugs Axcelas all day” party.

May as well throw out a Blind Arrow, but discounting LUC, Flavio only has a 12% chance of landing the ailment.

Thanks for the free turn.

Err, mostly. I forgot to put an Owl Earring on Arianna, not that it matters at this point.

Haha, wow. I did so much damage to Flame Demon in her 4th phase, that she only did got 1 turn off in her 5th phase before going to her 6th phase.

Gonna have Bertrand cure Arianna.

I probably didn't need to do this, but whatever.

Oh no, my back row lost their attack buff. Whatever will I do?

You got the wrong row Flame Demon.

No more games.

But enough messing around. It's time to finish this.

Pictured: Playing Flame Demon like a fiddle.

Yeah, that's not gonna help at this point.

We won!

Yeah, I just had Knight guzzle Axcelas just so he could dunk on Flame Demon in style. :smug:

If you know the attack pattern of a boss, then you can dance circles around them, like I just did. Flame Demon is a warning of things to come, so if you had trouble with her, you may want to rethink your skillsets and stuff.

The moment you lower your guard, you feel a tremendous rush of power... Some strength not your own is drawing out further power from within!

Oh boy. Extend is only available during Transform, and it resets the duration of Transform back to 3 turns, essentially letting you have 5 turns of uptime with it.

Are you okay...?

Noticing that you had gone still the moment the demon was defeated, the woman addresses you with no small concern.

I'm all right.
I see. Thank the heavens...
Well, our victory over the Flame Demon went just according to plan. How're you feeling, Knight?

You take your friend's inquiry to mean curiosity as to whether any change has occurred in you. You say that you have indeed gained more power, just as the mysterious voice said.

Then... that means we can move on.
Yes! And thus perform the ritual...!

With the fierce battle over and another step taken toward her goal, the woman smiles cheerfully to you.

Okay. Let's stop back in town first, though.
Yes. Then, Ginnungagap.

You decide to return to High Lagaard with your comrades as they happily chat amongst themselves.

Well, we're done with the 2nd Stratum now.

Onto the 3rd Stratum!

It appears to be the mysterious moving plant monster.

Looks different from the one we saw before.
Huh? How's that, now?
Dame Chloe, you have quite a remarkable memory! How amazing.
Yep. I'm amazing.

If you have to say it yourself...
Is that wrong?
Yup. Wrong. Very wrong.
Trand, you didn't even remember. I don't want to hear it.
Dunno what you're talking about. I remember it perfectly well.

In the midst of your conversation, the plant seems to react, vibrating slightly in response to your voices.

You know, this situation... feels really familar, for some reason...

It's the exact same enemy as the Yggdrasil Bud, only with a different name and model. Just kill it and take your prize.

But we did get some ingredients.
Exactly. Let's go back and eat.
Any excuse to go eat...
It's fine. I can go eat at any time.
Well, as expected, Dame Chloe! Certainly we can always rely on you.
What exactly are you talking about...?
Anyhow, no point just standing around like this. We might as well get moving, huh, Knight?

You nod, agreeing with Flavio, and set back out on the path through the Labyrinth.

Anyways, further on in the Labyri-

Yeah, let's go report in and then head to Ginnungagap to see if we can move on with the ritual. We didn't come here to investigate the forest, after all.

Your comrades persuade you to return to High Lagaard rather than press on.

Fiiiine.

I want to rest first.
Are you weary, Sir Knight?
We can report to the Grand Duchy at any time. Let us rest before we do so.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 7, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Voting isn't over yet, and I don't mean to disrupt it. But Ragnar wanted me to post this now so I can start playing catch up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love Chloe's monotone grring.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
How the hell do you build Survivalists so they actually contribute to fights? Flavio always feels like such a load. Early game, he doesn't have enough TP to contribute to fights and late, he does less damage than Arianna. He's basically only good for putting blind on any enemy so Chloe can do fuckhueg damage to everything.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

FriskyBoat posted:

How the hell do you build Survivalists so they actually contribute to fights? Flavio always feels like such a load. Early game, he doesn't have enough TP to contribute to fights and late, he does less damage than Arianna. He's basically only good for putting blind on any enemy so Chloe can do fuckhueg damage to everything.

I always built him to be a support rather than anything else. Tossed him some Hexer Grimoires and Curb Attack Up during the story so that he had more things to do, and usually had him set up for dodge tanking with Trick Step and using Hazy Arrow whenever he can. Didn't actually go for Chain Dance that often for him, but it and Scapegoat seems pretty decent from what I've seen of Ragnar's class showcase of them. And there's always the Swap Step option and throwing in the odd Sagittarius Shot or item when it's needed. And setting up for Chloe, like you said.

Basically fast and dodgy support helps out, especially when Flavio can throw in status ailments.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

FriskyBoat posted:

Hazy Arrow and Sagittarius Shot are both good tools for dealing damage. Sagittarius Shot can get an extra hit in if you start it before your Force Boost, and your Force Boost can pretty much guarantee easy Hazy Arrows if you get the aggro onto your Survivalist or you're up against an enemy with AOEs. Otherwise, I find Survivalists are more appropriately used as an offense/support hybrid, and I typically had Flavio with a Triple Charge grimoire throwing out Blind/Paralyze/Sleep Arrow or Feast. He definitely has the luck stat to make use of other status grimoires too, for when Blind/Paralyze resistances build up or if your enemy is immune to them.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Well, everyone that wanted to vote seems to have voted, so I'll close the votes. The final result for both parties is:

Freyja, Asriel, Ursa, Realga, Stardust.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 46: Queen of Pain

Ah, it feels like I haven't fought for eons.
It's only been a month or so, Asriel...
Rrr.
On the other hand, it feels like it's only been a day since I was last fighting.
There's only two floors left, Realga, just persevere through it.

Meet the final party for the main story: the same one that we started with.

I forgot to record everyone's new builds. Whoops. I'll do it at the start of the next update.

Okay, very funny, who fudged the campaign sales numbers?
Um, there's a big mountain of ental over here...
Yeah, yeah, I know you think you're a laugh rioooooabbbahuggbaduvoooo...
I'm starting to wonder if she has a fainting problem...

Well, that met the deadline for Haute cuisine and then kicked it in its face several times over.

And that's all of the city upgrades finished.

Here's some foods.

Gem Nikogori quadruples the chance of the Gas/Liberator items inflicting their ailments/binds, respectively. It takes those items from "trash" to "ridiculously good." Gas/Liberator items have 40% base infliction chances, which means quadrupling that gives them 160% base chances.

Sky Chawanmushi adds 0-5 to the level of any newly-generated Grimoire. Bleh.

Nozuchi Soup forces all ailments/binds on your party to wear off in 3 turns or less. This really isn't that great of an effect, since an enemy can usually seriously screw you up in those 3 or less turns.

Campaigns.

SYSTEM: You've been asked to make 50,000en through just one Advertising Plan! You were able to complete the quest with the previous advertisement! All that remains is to head to the bar and report to Cass.

Oh, congratulations. I'll make sure the Palace knows yeh took care of it. ...But...geez. FOEbucks is really makin' bank, aren't they...
More than I could've ever imagined back at the start!
Then yeh wouldn't mind if I charged a premium for my quests now, eh? I mean, yeh got steady income! Yeh can handle it.
If you really want us to stop taking on requests here, that's a good way to do it.
Haw haw haw! Don't gimme that face! I'm jokin'! Jokin'...! Mostly. Anyhow, here's yer reward!

The Glow Brace is a pretty terrible accessory: +20 HP, +30 TP.

These level ups aren't very exciting.

At this point, I went back into the Labyrinth on Picnic to grind up materials for Small comforts, and ran into a new enemy. Might as well just post its stats, since this battle isn't a very accurate depiction of how they work because, well, Picnic.

Nozuchi
HP: 497, STR: 39, TEC: 31, VIT: 29, AGI: 34, LUC: 30
Skills:
  • Frail Aura: Uses the head. Reduces the party's physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 110% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Blue Carapace. 35% chance. Sells for 614 en. 6 needed to make Jazeraint (+64 DEF, +10 TP). 8 needed to make Steel Gun (+124 ATK). 9 Plum Hides and 1 Blue Carapace needed to make Ninetails (+138 ATK).
    "Nozuchi's outer shell, made of blue metal. Though layered with scales, it feels smooth."
  • Conditional: Petrified Tail (Kill with petrification). 100% chance. Sells for 1515 en. 1 needed to make Golden Ganza (Troubadour ultimate non-body armor; +150 TP, +5 AGI).
    "Petrified, snakelike tail of a Nozuchi. The bone inside makes a curious clattering."
  • Ingredient: Nozuchi Body. 1 given. 1 needed to make Nozuchi Soup (Chinese Food 5; forces ailments/binds to wear off in 3 turns or less).
    "Seems almost alive."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
100% 50% 150%
100% 100% 50%

A fearsome serpent that has existed for ages, based on fossil records.

Nozuchis are, at best, nuisances to parties that heavily rely on physical damage. Frail Aura does nothing against Alchemists or, y'know, anyone with access to composite damage.

Because I am on Picnic, all it took was one Thor Formula from Stardust, and everything died.

SYSTEM: You should bring these ingredients to the inn.

Eventually, that happened.

...M-Mommy, the...the people from Lumen are here! *cough*
Good lord, Quona, you sound deathly sick...
It's just a cough exacerbated by her being already frail, Luca. Calm down.

Three cleanly severed roots, and two somehow-cleanly severed gels.
...Yup, that's them. Alright, I'm gonna go make the medicine now! Watch pumpkin for a minute, okay?

Uhm...can you chat with me for a little while you wait here?
Ah, um, well... Crap, I'm terrible at talking to kids.
Grrrorborr?
I-I'm fine. I've always been this way, so I'm used to it... *cough* Ah...but... I don't like medicine. It's really, really, really bitter...
Welcome to medicine. It tastes really, really terrible, but it's better than being sick, right?
I-it's for your own good, Quona.
...My own good?...

Oh... Mommy...
Here's some water. Since the people of Lumen got all these ingredients for you, drink it all up!
Agh... Okay... I'll drink it. ...Guuuuh...
Oh, my. You drank it all! What a good girl! You usually complain so much about how much you hate it.
To be fair, most of us would complain. Even the bear.
*cough*... It's...really bitter... But...mommy...you're always making all this medicine just for me... Th... Thank you.
Wh-What's gotten into you? Do you have a fever? ...Well, you only just drank the medicine, so you probably still do have a fever. Maybe tomorrow we'll see some flying pigs out the window, too! Bahahahaha!
Feverish people are still capable of rational thought...
I-I was only saying how I felt... Stupid mommy... Say something, Lumen.
Bahahaha, sorry, sorry. I was just surprised! You don't normally say things like that, sweetheart.
Ughhhh...now I feel all weird about what I said... Uhm ...Thank you for bringing the medicine and staying with me. When I feel good enough to go outside again, please take me back to the place with clean air sometime, okay?
Going back there after all this time would be nice. Sure, why not?
Bahahaha! I'd like that too. I think my little girl's getting a little better thanks to you. You kids! Thank you. I left the reward with Cass, so don't forget to grab it!

Oh, did yeh lot finish yer work? Is the little missy gonna be okay?
Probably. Hanna's medicine seemed to be properly mixed.
Good! Good. I'm glad to hear that. Well, I owe that inn a lot, so I hope I repaid 'em a little. Here's the reward! See yeh next time!

The Sonic Whip is a special weapon. It has only +10 ATK, like the disabling weapons, but it has a special effect. You know how Nadia and Freyja are both really fast? It's not just because of their AGI stats: bows give +10 action speed, while whips give +5. The Sonic Whip? It gives a whopping +35 action speed bonus. Even on support classes that need Grimoires to equip whips, this thing is still pretty drat useful.

I don't have a need for it right now, since Realga's plenty speedy enough with Cure and Salve innately, but I might put it on her later. Sophie could also probably use it, even though she already has a level 10 Speed Up Grimoire on her.

Again, boring level ups. Endgame and postgame level ups in EO games tend to be pretty uninteresting, since you just end up investing in passives that are nice, but don't otherwise do a ton.

The 24F quests--ignore The beautiful princess.

The courageous knight:

Ahh, there yeh are. Haw! That quest again... Are yeh gettin' used to it by now?
We're only two pieces shy of the set the smug noble wants.
More chasin' after these golden chess pieces...but this time won't be so easy. They asked yeh to bring back one each of Moonstone, Tourmaline, and Shine Rock. Yeh can get those through Mining. It ain't gonna be an easy job, but if yeh do it, there's a Knight piece in it for yeh. Go get'em, kids! Awright then, g'luck!

The Byeahs will make short work of this when I get around to remembering that I took it on.

Nupital preparations:

Ah, are yeh taking on that quest? It'd be a big help.
Is this about the guy that proposed to his crush while we were out getting that Wood Rose?
It's from a local boy. Kid of one of the guardsmen...he's kind of a bookworm. The kid got together with some scholar girl from the Duchy. She's studyin' the paths of stars...and now they're gettin' married.
An Alchemist and a Zodiac getting married. Seems oddly appropriate.
I don't think Cass mentioned anything about Alchemists or...whatever Zodiacs are.
He's a smart kid, too. He's plannin' to work alongside his ladyfriend, studyin' the stars with her. Only thing is, his dad--the guardsman--heard the news and stormed off into the forest. Hasn't come out at all.
Oh, great, family issues. I'm sure a bunch of explorers are the perfect people to handle that.
The boy wants his dad's approval, so he wants someone to talk to his dad and try makin' him see their side, and all that. This kinda stuff ain't really my style, so I thought I'd put it up as a request and let yeh take care of it.
If very recent events hadn't...ahem, changed my outlook on romance, I would've walked out after that comment, Cass.
...Whassat look for? It's a job just like any of 'em! It's even got a reward posted, so lighten up and get it done, eh? Well, see that guy with the big book? Sittin' at the bar? Ask him about the details. Maybe he just wanted some folks to complain to! I dunno. Either way, make sure yeh get it done!

We'll do it later, Cass.

The golden shadow:

Ah, yeh lot oughta take that one! Looked real interesting. Yeh know there's a big room to the north of the 16th floor, right? The guard corps went in to investigate, but the scoutin' party hasn't been seen since they went in the room.
Rr-rr...
Their reinforcements freaked out, all thinkin' somethin' had happened, and went in after 'em. But then it gets weird, see. When their backup stepped into the room, they all felt this weird dizziness and keeled over...and woke up at the room's entrance. No matter how many times they tried, the same thing happened. They couldn't find the scouts--hell, they couldn't even go in!
This sounds more like our niche than resolving family disputes.
But we can't just leave those guards in there, right? Well, that's where yeh lot come in! The backup guards're still stationed at the entrance to the northern large room, so ask 'em for the details. Awright, good luck! Bring me back some souvenirs, or just a good story to tell! Haw haw haw haw haw!

THIS is a quest I'm very interested in. We'll be tackling this one immediately...

Right after we talk to people.

Man with a thick book is tied to Nupital preparations:

...Oh, pardon me. I'm afraid I was engrossed in my book... Um, did you have any questions?
We took on your quest. The one with your dad storming off into the Labyrinth.
Oh--you've accepted my request! Thank you very much! I think Cass told you everything, but...my father works as a guard at the Duke's Palace. Compared to my father, though, I wasn't much good at physical work, even as a child. I always preferred my books, or studying... My father hated that side of me, and he made me practice swordplay. As a guard's son, he said, I had to hone my skills...
If I had parents, and they made me practice swordplay... Hmm, actually...
I wanted to please him. I even joined the guards and went in the forest, but... I just wasn't that good. Nowhere near my father. But I tried to listen to him. I kept on doing what I could, and studying to see if there was a way I could be useful... In my efforts, I met another scholar. She agreed to assist me, and...well, we grew quite close, and before I knew it, I fell for--
As interesting as stories about this stuff are, please just get to the point.
Ah, I mean--I-I'm sorry. I'm sure the situation is clear to you. A-Anyway, I intend to marry her soon. We want to move forward together, as scholars studying the paths of the stars. But when I told my father of my decision, he stormed out, and...he hasn't returned from his place on duty in the forest. I know it's a selfish request... But I would like to ask you to persuade my father for his approval.
Will he even listen to random explorers...?
...I can't say for sure. But I know he couldn't be as cruel to you as he is to me. If I was to go, he would just refuse me again and storm off somewhere else. He's never really listened to me, after all... My father should be on the 2nd floor, in the room to the northeast. ...One of my father's friends told me he goes there often on his patrols. I'm sorry I'm putting you in this position, but please do your best to persuade my father.

I'll get on that eventually.

The Gunslinger girl showed up after we turned in Adventurers' Bond.

Oh, it's you. You're the ones that helped us out, right? You remember? Fighting the bird teams on the 20th floor?
How could I forget? Trying to get Ranger to hold back his transformation was almost as difficult as the fights themselves...
Thanks a lot for your help back there. Seriously, we needed it.
If you don't mind me asking, where's the purple-haired Ronin?
Uh... Ahaha... Right. About that. Kind of a funny story. After we turned in the quest, boss wanted to celebrate as a guild. The bonehead just drank, ate and partied until he collapsed. So I came as his substitute to tell you thanks from all of us. I'll give him an earful later, so just cut him some slack for now, okay? Alright, thanks again for accepting our quest! Let's both keep at it!

Adventurers in matching gear, because at this point I remembered I'd have to do town dialogue as well:

Lumen! Come here! Ey, have a drink!
C'mon! You drinkin'? We just got back from the fifth stratum!
S'all thanks to you, see? Now we finally know how to get up there. 's really high.
But it was so scary! We keep gettin' into big ones! Old-timers like us just need a drink when we bump into those!
Y'know about the Huge Statue things? They started freakin' out, goin' nuts as soon as we reached for 'em!
And those things seriously hurt! Gah, if we hadn't reached for them things, none of this crap would've happened...
...Wait. Why...*hic* why do we keep explorin' when all we do is keep gettin' into these big messes?
...Hrmm. Hngh? Maybe...maybe this isn' the time t'be drinkin'...?
I guess it's good that hat guy's guild is capable of introspection...

Hanna has special dialogue for us now that we've finished Small comforts.

Hey, remember that time when you got ingredients to make medicine for Quona? And after all you went through, all the girl could do was say 'thank you' to me! You know, though, even though she couldn't say it to your faces, the poor thing was so happy she could've cried... Sorry, I just wanted you to know! And thanks to you, it looks like she's having a lot of fun. Thanks, loves.

What was she worried about?
About what? About you, of course! How could we not be worried about you? You always come back covered in dirt and scratches...
B-but the most recent party seemed to come back clean every day...
We're all stuck here with nothing to do but worry over you! I don't know what my daughter would do if you hurt yourselves! Listen. If anything happens to you kids, we'll all worry ourselves sick! Don't forget that, okay? ...If you make my daughter cry... I'll never forgive you!

We've got a puzzling quest that needs looking into, so not into any new areas.
A lot more guilds have been coming to the shop with tales of the castle these days... It seems like they're following the path you've made, and they're arriving safely at the castle that way. Really, it's all thanks to you that everyone can get into the castle now... That's really amazing! ...It's so cool that you were the ones to find and explore the floating castle before anyone else did, though. I hope that one day, I'll be able to help people just like you do!

I understand that you're searching for the floating castle...but it's just a strange feeling, I suppose. All these ingredients...they were once suspended in the sky. Hm? You were flying as well? Hmm...tch. Thinking about that just makes me even more confused.

So...yeh find anything...?
What are you even expecting?
What do yeh mean “what"? Treasure, yeh boneheads! There's gotta be loads of treasure there! All the stories say that there's supposed to be some huge treasure deep in the castle! Yeh need to pick up yer pace and find it. And...by the way. If yeh do happen to find that treasure, could yeh let me get a little glimpse of it?
You've asked us to do that an uncountable number of times by now, Cass.
Oh, c'mon. I just want to take one look. I ain't asking yeh to give it to me or anything. One peek can't hurt. C'mon, do it for old Cass! Haw haw haw!

Well, it's...different. Yep. It looks like it's built from ancient technology.
Hm...? I had no idea the castle's interior would appear that way. I can't imagine it as some sort of living quarters... If the castle is full of monsters, perhaps the residents have long since perished...or simply moved elsewhere. Could it be...? Legend tells us that the people of this city are descended from the castle's residents. But why abandon it...? Of course, these are all merely theories. Be careful as you move forward...there's no telling what may await you. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

Recently, it seems that every time a thought enters my head...it drives another one out. The other day I left my staff in the study and I became quite agitated... I could not remember where I put it for the life of me.
I sympathize with you, Minister.
I...pfffft...don't... Pffffhahaha!
This is quite a serious matter! My story may be laughable, but it would be far more dire if you forgot something in the Labyrinth. ...You can easily see how awful such a situation could be. Do not take this lightly. You must be sure to always pay attention. I bid you farewell then, Guild Lumen. I expect great things from you.

Anyway, The golden shadow. I have grand plans for this quest. This involved putting together a specialized party you'll see in a bit, and giving Sophie this level 10 Stigmata Grimoire.

What is Stigmata, you might ask? You'll see. Oh boy, will you see.

I also ate the Strawberry Daifuku (attack item damage doubled) food, for Stardust's benefit.

I hate you all.

And there's the specialized party.

Y-yes.
SYSTEM: When you agree, the guard nods in gratitude.
Thank you. We couldn't do anything on our own, and we were getting worried.
Um, what exactly is going on here? We heard another unit of guards is...stuck?
Yes, that is correct. We cannot go past this door... We went in, and headed for the next door, but there was this...dizziness...and we found ourselves back where we started. We thought it was just some mistake of ours, but the same thing happened when we tried again. We keep trying and trying, but we just keep turning up back here. What in the world is happening...?
Where's the stranded group?
To be honest, we're not exactly sure... But we originally wanted to head to the large room to the west, so if they're anywhere, they might be over there.
SYSTEM: The guard looks to the west, obviously concerned for his comrades.
Alright then. I'm sorry to have to ask, but please--help us find our comrades. First, find us a way to get past this door so we can get to the next room.
SYSTEM: The guard lowers his head with one last meek plea. You decide to help them find their lost allies.

SYSTEM: You do not feel the dizziness described by the guard, but things could change at any moment... Still, you have no choice but to move forward if you wish to save the other guards.

I'll just skip narrative stuff and be straight here: the gimmick with The golden shadow is that you will get warped back to the door if you take four steps without reversing your direction for the fourth step. That might sound stupid, so here's a basic example:

Step 1) Up
Step 2) Up
Step 3) Up
Step 4) Up

That will result in us getting teleported back to the door. However, if I walk backwards on step 4 instead, I will be free to proceed.

SYSTEM: A few people in armor are sitting in the room. They appear to be the Duchy's guards...

SYSTEM: The guard looks exhausted, but he pulls himself up with a ragged breath.
Are you all the stranded guard corps?
SYSTEM: You ask if they were the stranded scouts. The guard nods emphatically, and begins to explain.
I heard this strange howl when we came to this room. Suddenly, I got caught in some kind of weird rift...
SYSTEM: With not much more to say, the guard leans on his weapon wearily, thanking you for your intervention.

SYSTEM: Rather than dissipating, the bizarre sensation is only growing thicker and more oppressive by the second...
Milly, are you causing this earthquake?
Wh-- No! How would I even--

SYSTEM: Before you have a chance to react, you hear an unearthly roar from closer than ever!
A-a-ah... W-we may be in serious trouble...
SYSTEM: Something is directly in front of you... Though you cannot see, you sense its massive presence. And after a couple moments, your vision slowly starts to return...

Oh dear gods...
Is that a...dragon?!
Am I gonna get to taste dragon meat?!
It looks like a giant snake with a mustache. Maybe Jackie could make a stuffed toy that looks like it...

SYSTEM: With regal, sturdy horns, a body longer and bigger than any snake, and scales of gleaming gold... A dragon stares you down! Its cold eyes focus on you, and you can feel the pressure of its focused power, unable to move beneath its gaze...

Th-This is a nightmare... It must be...it has to be!
SYSTEM: Confronted with the creature of myth, the guard gibbers, losing all composure... Already exhausted, and now faced with a creature told of in legends, it makes sense that he'd be overwhelmed. You can escape with the guards to ensure their safety, or you can take your weapons in hand and challenge the dragon.

I'm never gonna get another opportunity like this again!
S-SOPHIE! NO! GET BACK!
Is this stupid voracious eater serious?
Jackie's gonna want detailed notes...
O-oh dear... I-I don't know what to...

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Storm Emperor :siren:

Storm Emperor
HP: 32000, STR: 77, TEC: 59, VIT: 58, AGI: 52, LUC: 53
Skills:
  • Volt Torrent: Uses the head. Deals 600% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 180 base accuracy.
  • Ancient Curse: Uses the head. Deals 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Heals the Storm Emperor for 200% of the damage dealt. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Judgement: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Corrupting Howl: Uses the head. Purges all buffs from the party. Attempts to inflict curse and fear on each party member, with a 50% base chance. Has a 150% speed modifier.
  • Binding Dance: Uses the legs. Attempts to bind each party member's head, arms, and legs, with a 70% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Emperor Barbel. 100% chance. Sells for 17000 en. 1 needed to make Volt Whip (+204 ATK, +5 AGI, normal attacks become Cut+Volt).
    "Majestic barbel at the thunder dragon's mouth. Some believe the barbel controls thunder."
  • Rare: Emperor Scale. 25% chance. Sells for 20000 en. 1 needed to make Emperor Orb (Immunity to Volt). 1 Dragon Scale, 1 Blizzard Scale, and 1 Emperor Scale needed to make Dragonbane (+210 ATK, +5 all stats).
    "The only reverse scale on the thunder dragon. It takes great fortune to acquire this."
  • Conditional: Thunderous Eye (Kill with Volt damage). 100% chance. Sells for 39000 en. 1 needed to make Ouroboros Robe (Alchemist ultimate armor; +72 DEF, +40 TP, +3 TEC).
    "Thunder dragon's eye, cloaked in lightning. Some say it holds the key to ultimate power."
  • Ingredient: Thunder Chirp. 15-19 given. 7 needed to make Court Haute Cuisine (Japanese Cuisine; 10% chance to restore broken Force gauges after battle).
    "Tender meat from the throat."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 100% 0%
Disable resistances:
25% 50% 25% 25% 50% 0% 0%
0% 0% 10%
25% 25% 25%

A legendary yellow dragon who wields electricity masterfully.

The Storm Emperor is one of the three elemental dragons, who have shown up in every EO game as postgame bosses. Storm Emperor is level 70 internally, meaning you're supposed to fight it when your party is anywhere from 64-70 on average. Fighting this thing without Volt Wall, or hell, just fighting it before the postgame at all is usually certain death.

...Y'know, this is the bit where I'd pretend that I didn't know what I was doing, say "oh poo poo I've made a terrible mistake," intentionally let Volt Torrent kill me, throw up a Game Over screen, and then reveal that it was all a not-very-clever ruse.

Screw that. I know full well what I'm doing, and that's because I've got a very deadly weapon on my side.

And it's this beauty right here.

Stigmata and Creeping Curse, that is. Not Sophie. I mean her portrait isn't bad, it's not creepy like some portraits are and... Okay, no, that train of thought cannot go anywhere good.

Remember how I said you'd get to see what Stigmata does later, exactly? Now's the time.

(Everyone else did standard setup.)

I...must...

HAVE IT ALL! ...Oh, it's so amazing...
She... She just...
Sophie's had a bottomless appetite as far as I can remember, but that...
Th-the dragon doesn't even look like it can move...
Sophie looks stuffed after that.

Stigmata, at level 10 binds all of the user's body parts if they don't have resistances or immunities. In return, it attempts to inflict every bind the user has, all at once, on one enemy. And at level 10, it has an 85% base chance--255% with Creeping Curse. She has a 10+ LUC advantage on the Storm Emperor, too, along with a level 4 Curb ATK Up and a little extra base chance from the Bind Up added effects. Even against the Storm Emperor's 25% resistances to each bind type, that's still a ~64% base chance before any of the extra bonuses are factored in.

Stigmata on its own is mad stupid, but remember...

Well, if there was ever a time for this...

We have Ecstasy.

SLAUGHTERING A HELPLESS DRAGON? COUNT ME IN!

Ironically, Ranger is going to be contributing the least damage out of anyone here.

Oh yeah, I can demo Compression + Strawberry Daifuku + all-target Jars now. If you like seeing big numbers in action, please watch the video.

I'll have Sophie purge off her self-inflicted binds so she can use Black Mist next turn.

Freyja... You just caused a gargantuan-sized dragon to shriek in pain.
I-it started it...

Holy gently caress.

Hmm. Stuffing my matches into a jar amplifies the effect. Interesting!

If that doesn't seem as impressive, bear in mind that Stardust doesn't have the effect of a level 20 Volt Prelude like Freyja does, and Analysis only gives a 65% damage bonus instead of the 100% that Trance does. Also, she requires a fraction of the setup that Ecstasy does--just one turn for Compression, instead of potentially multiple to fully bind the enemy. It's also not reliant on the binds not wearing off.

Oh man... I don't think any food'll ever compare to that...

Nope!

Told you Ranger wouldn't be doing much.

gently caress THIS THING. gently caress THIS STUPID loving CORE. THIS GODDAMN PIECE OF poo poo IS A loving PAIN IN THE--

Okay, okay, that was over-the-top, yes. I'll save the reasoning for why the Yellow Heart is a gigantic pain when we fight the Storm Emperor for real in the postgame, but let it be known that the Dragon Hearts are, in my opinion, the ultimate example of why EO2U's summon-focused bosses are loving terrible.

Everyone else will just repeat their previous actions, except for Sophie, who'll force the binds to last one more turn.

I wish I could have more...

For you fans of percentages, Freyja has now chopped off over 33% of the Storm Emperor's HP in two turns. And we're well over 10 levels below where you should be when fighting this thing.

Stardust's damage with Volt Prelude. I told you Compression + Strawberry Daifuku was broken!

Ahaha, eat poo poo, you're not going anywhere.

If you fight the Storm Emperor during The golden shadow, from turn 3 on, it will try to escape during the turn, and at the very end of the turn. That last one is a bit of a dick move, since that check is performed after the ailments/binds wearing off check is done, meaning the Storm Emperor could fail to escape during the turn itself, but then flee at the end.

YEEEEOUCH!

The Yellow Heart's only action is to cast Resonant Thunder at the end of the turn, which deals scaling TEC-based damage of the same element as the dragon. I'll explain precisely why this is lovely when the postgame rolls around.

Nope. You wanted to pick a fight with us, you'll stick with it until the end.

This is gonna feel so good.

Th-the ectasy of...agony...
Look, Freyja, I have connections, I'll get you an acting assistant to help you with talking. Anything to repay you for what you just did.
Nothing for little miss abomination over there?
The taste of the dragon is payment enough for Sophie.

I did say that Stigmata and Ecstasy was insanely broken, didn't I?

In fact, it's actually a really popular cheese strat for just breaking the entire game. I'm not kidding when I say you can go from late 2nd Stratum (the first point where you could maybe get a lv10 Stigmata Grimoire on a Hexer) through all of the postgame (sans superboss) with it--I should know, because I did exactly that. I am not going to be using it after this fight, I just wanted to demonstrate it on what was intended to be a very quick game over.

Mm... I can still taste the heavenly texture, and the tang of the scale combined with the meat...
SYSTEM: Who could have foreseen this? It can only be the fruit of your daily training regimen! The dragon soars into the sky and disappears elsewhere in the Labyrinth. Along with its departure, the forest also begins to return to its unwarped form. The danger has now passed. You talk to the guard about what just happened.

SYSTEM: The guard finally relaxes, and sinks to the floor with a sigh of relief. You can hear the footsteps of the guard corps coming from the north of the room.
It's...it's my group! We can finally go home! Thank you... Thank you so much! We owe you our lives...! Good bye, now!
SYSTEM: The guard thanks you fervently before rushing back to the safety of his comrades. This marks the end of this quest! All that remains is to return to the bar and report to Cass. You pack away the spoils of war from your clash with the dragon, and set out once again.
Did the dragon drop this giant bag of coins as it was flying away?
I...guess it did. I don't know why a dragon would need a comically big bag of ental, but whatever, it's ours now.
I bet Realga's gonna be happy to see that!

Killing the Storm Emperor during The golden shadow gives you 100k en. I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be an extra reward if you tackled this thing a lot later on (like, in the middle of the postgame, when you'd normally fight the Storm Emperor).

Ahhh, yeh did it! A messenger from the Grand Duchy just came to deliver the news. Something about that monster's howls was warpin' the forest. It's one eerie place, with monsters like that around... Anyways, glad to have yeh back. Here's the reward... Care to make a donation? Come back anytime! Haw haw haw!

That's all of the 5th Stratum recipe books now.

Next time: we actually explore 24F with the new party, instead of getting distracted with snapping the game in half.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 7, 2016

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I was sad to see my character not make it to the final party.

quote:

...But then again, I didn't think I'd ever see that! Holy poo poo, Hexers, I didn't even know that was possible :magical:

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

You beat the Storm Emperor.

On Expert.

While underlevelled.

In four turns.

I sincerely wonder if we're even playing the same game sometimes.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I knew there was some way to cheese him early when I did that quest, I just wasn't sure how. By God, it is beautiful. They should have sent a poet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

gently caress the elemental dragons in this game.
gently caress their core, gently caress their breath, gently caress the class design.

In EO2, the elemental dragons needed a protector, because the breaths were not survivable without the correspondent anti-X wall. In EO2U, you'd think, "oh, I'll just slap a level 10 grimoire on my support" if you're not using a protector. gently caress you, you need two of those.

At least in 3 you had two classes that could use anti-elemental skills (Zodiacs had the X prophecy skills) and subclassing meant you were always a rest away from access to those skills.
In 4, stacking elemental resistance up to survivability was possible.

gently caress the dragon design in 2U.

• Locked thread