Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elder Postsman posted:

My house had some bad toilet paper placement when I bought it:

Pre-heated TP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Darchangel posted:

Pre-heated TP.

It's like a warm Turkish towel for your bunghole.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Or pre-cooled TP if you have central air.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Haha, one of my bathrooms has a vent like that. When the AC is running, that blast of cold air on your bare butt cheeks can be startling!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ghostnuke posted:

Haha, one of my bathrooms has a vent like that. When the AC is running, that blast of cold air on your bare butt cheeks can be startling!

It's your own house, you can sit all the way down on the seat.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

This is why you need a bidet with heated dryer function.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elder Postsman posted:

My house had some bad toilet paper placement when I bought it:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's too drat hot, I wish I was that dog. :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cold air comes out of heating vents?!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You have different vents for hot and cold? Pretty rare in the US even in very recently-built houses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

Cold air comes out of heating vents?!

Pedantry, but: it's not a "heating vent," it's just a "register," it doesn't care what system you have hooked up to it at the central-air end, and yeah, as stated above, your AC and heat will both be on the same set of ducts.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Splizwarf posted:

You have different vents for hot and cold? Pretty rare in the US even in very recently-built houses.

They're probably from some weird place (Europe/northern US) that has never heard of central A/C. Now I'm wondering if wherever they're from it's standard to use floor registers in regular houses, because that'd make sense if it was heat-only.

Or maybe I'm the weird one, but every central air/heat installation I've seen in a built-on-site house has the registers in the ceiling, I've only seen the floor registers in mobile homes, where it makes sense for packaging reasons (no attic to run the ducting through). Edit: according to the data sticker in my closet, my house came with central heat standard, A/C was an extra-cost option. But the A/C is just a bit that plugs into the top of the furnace cabinet, it all uses the same ducting.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I've definitely never seen a register that blows w much force. I can see it if the HVAC is oversized for the living space or you're doing some goofy min-max thing by shutting almost all the registers to increase airflow through the remaining open ones
My A/C was running when I read this post, so I went and held a roll of TP on a stick over the vent in my bathroom. It easily unspooled and held up the two feet left on the roll (need to get another, but it's stored in another room, and :effort: ). The photo in question is probably a bit on the high side airflow-wise, but definitely plausible, my experiment went almost that high, at least to switchplate level. Keep in mind the perspective kinda makes it look higher than it is, and the end is probably just outside the frame. The end would fall down immediately after the photo was taken, but it'd probably keep unspooling anyway, with the air blowing between the roll and the free end now anchored by its own weight.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 2, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is central AC that's part of the general house's duct system common in the US? Or is it usually just one or the other? I imagine if you live somewhere that needs AC you probably get by with base boards, and if you live somewhere that needs beefy winter heating you probably get by without AC in the summer or maybe a window unit in your bedroom for those 2 weeks it gets real hot?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think the ceiling registers thing is a regional thing.

Here in Iowa, all the older houses I've lived in had floor registers, because they used the spaces between the joists as ducting.

Baronjutter posted:

Is central AC that's part of the general house's duct system common in the US? Or is it usually just one or the other? I imagine if you live somewhere that needs AC you probably get by with base boards, and if you live somewhere that needs beefy winter heating you probably get by without AC in the summer or maybe a window unit in your bedroom for those 2 weeks it gets real hot?

Hahaha. Oh god. No. Central heat and AC combined systems are standard in at least half of the country. When you have a yearly swing from -20 to 105F every year, you end up running both.

Especially in the Midwest, because the furnace is usually in the basement, so running the ducting up from the bottom is easier.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 2, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In Florida we run ceiling vents only as you'd expect. If circulation's bad due to blowing hot air into the top of the room, you just get a fan going, for the two nights a year it's an issue.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Here in Iowa, all the older houses I've lived in had floor registers, because they used the spaces between the joists as ducting.

Ceiling registers are common in slabs and in basements. Otherwise, you'd have to dig through the concrete.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I seriously can not imagine living anywhere without a central A/C system. That is dealbreaker on any place.
But luckily I live in Florida*, where finding houses without A/C is nearly impossible.

*Kiiiiiiiilllll meeeeee

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

January mean temperature

July mean temperature

Large parts of the U.S. have hot summers and reasonably cold winters, enough to warrant both A/C and heating that doesn’t cost a fortune. It helps that natural gas is really cheap in the U.S..

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Liquid Communism posted:

kid sinister posted:

Ceiling registers are common in slabs and in basements. Otherwise, you'd have to dig through the concrete.

Fair enough, basements aren't really a thing around here (NE TX, water table/flood risk is too high), so the unit's usually in the attic or a closet with the ducting in the attic. Makes sense that you'd put the furnace in the basement and run the ducts under the floor if a basement is available.

Edit: those maps in the post before this one don't tell the full story, for example it AVERAGES ~50F here in the winter and ~83F in summer, but we regularly have a solid month's worth of consecutive days over 100F (then a storm will come through and it'll cool off to 85F for a day or two, then right back up to 110F and humid as gently caress as the rain boils off. Same with below-freezing temps in the winter.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 2, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: those maps in the post before this one don't tell the full story, for example it AVERAGES ~50F here in the winter and ~83F in summer, but we regularly have a solid month's worth of consecutive days over 100F (then a storm will come through and it'll cool off to 85F for a day or two, then right back up to 110F and humid as gently caress as the rain boils off. Same with below-freezing temps in the winter.

Right. Even in Phoenix, when the average daily temps are a comfortable 60 degrees, overnight winter temps dip into freezing.
Then of course the summers hit 120 degrees on occasion:supaburn:

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Right. Even in Phoenix, when the average daily temps are a comfortable 60 degrees, overnight winter temps dip into freezing.
Then of course the summers hit 120 degrees on occasion:supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

When even Texans make fun of your weather, you should probably reconsider the whole "putting a city in the middle of the desert" thing.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Aside from American climate misunderstandings, once you're already putting in an air handler and ductwork, it's cheaper in both materials and labor to add a heat source in the air handler than to install a separate heating system.

Delivery McGee posted:

Fair enough, basements aren't really a thing around here (NE TX, water table/flood risk is too high), so the unit's usually in the attic or a closet with the ducting in the attic. Makes sense that you'd put the furnace in the basement and run the ducts under the floor if a basement is available.

Attics are a terrible place for air handlers and ductwork. It's just cheaper for the builder, and they can get away with it because most of the country thinks it's normal and appropriate.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zhentar posted:

Attics are a terrible place for air handlers and ductwork. It's just cheaper for the builder, and they can get away with it because most of the country thinks it's normal and appropriate.

I was literally thinking about this while pondering how to get more space in my basement. Fine HVAC/dehumidifier/water heater complex, you can stay.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I would've killed for central air anywhere I lived in the Midwest. Instead, I grew up relying on window units and occasionally didn't even have that luxury. Meanwhile, the trailer I lived in in Florida had a shared central system, but the breaker for it was outside. Guess who had to reset it on freezing nights or overly hot and humid days?

Basically, relying on landlords to do anything in their tenants' best interests is one hell of a crapshoot but I'll never be able to afford owning a house. Sucks to be me.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I remember several houses I grew up around in western IL and eastern MO had very early "air conditioning" that was actually just fans (think firefighter deployable fans) and ductwork that would pull air from the basements / root cellars up through floor registers and more fans and ductwork to pull air up through the house to the upper floors through the attic. All those houses had all their bedrooms on the second floor so I spent many august nights as a child sleeping on the first floor if not the basement - literally the floor because it was nice and chilly.

My great grandma's farm was all decked out and the fans were on separate switches and even reverse switches. So in the winter you could suck the furnace and fireplace air from the first floor to the second. In the chilly fall you could actually reverse the fans and pull air down from the second floor and attic to the first floor to warm in. We slept in the bedrooms during the winter.

Still trying to figure out if that's crappy construction or not. By electrical usage I'm sure it's a nightmare of inefficiency.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SharkTattoos posted:

Still trying to figure out if that's crappy construction or not. By electrical usage I'm sure it's a nightmare of inefficiency.

I doubt it. Fans, even large ones, use very little power compared to an air conditioner’s compressor.

A similar concept exists today. It’s called a “whole house fan”.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

I doubt it. Fans, even large ones, use very little power compared to an air conditioner’s compressor.

A similar concept exists today. It’s called a “whole house fan”.

Whole house fans are tits, there's no better sensation than flipping one on and feeling like you're standing in a wind tunnel sucking all that awesome cool evening air throughout your hot stagnant house.

I've got central air/heat (through the same floor vents even!), and I'm going to be putting one in myself because :iia:

Plus my hundred year old house maintains temps really well throughout the day, so I can just cool it down at night, shutter up during the day, repeat ad nauseam for crazy good energy efficiency

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DocCynical posted:

That is definitely not readily accessible. Looks nice though.

My old house had the breaker box in a "secret" closet in the basement. It was all ugly 70s wood paneling, and the doors to the storage closets and laundry room were built into it (using the kind of latches that you need to push in to unlatch, and then they swing out). Those were visible due to the large gaps around the doors, but the electrical closet door was fitted much more closely, and I don't think I even knew it was there until I was like 14.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Slanderer posted:

My old house had the breaker box in a "secret" closet in the basement. It was all ugly 70s wood paneling, and the doors to the storage closets and laundry room were built into it (using the kind of latches that you need to push in to unlatch, and then they swing out). Those were visible due to the large gaps around the doors, but the electrical closet door was fitted much more closely, and I don't think I even knew it was there until I was like 14.

In Minnetonka, MN each house used to have it's own well. They wouldn't have a separate well house, it would be an extension room off the basement outside of the footprint. Once everyone went to municipal water, people would build bookcases with hinges to cover the well room and use it as a root cellar. They're pretty cool. When I was looking for houses a few years ago, our agent was able to tell if there was a secret room every time, but I never would have seen them. You look for one of the shelf sides to be angled for clearance when the bookcase door opens. He learned to check because sometimes people didn't cap their wells and it wouldn't meet code when you tried to buy it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OSU_Matthew posted:

awesome cool evening air

not sure I follow

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Florida is a hellhole. Why do people not leave as soon as humanly possible?

e. Cheap Apalachicola oysters own bones, but the rest of your state is just swamp rear end personified and driving a pickup truck.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 2, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Most of us do, tbh.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

e. Cheap Apalachicola oysters own bones.

Maybe not for much longer though...

http://www.eater.com/2015/7/23/9010545/oysters-apalachicola-bay-florida-georgia-altanta

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Enourmo posted:

Most of us do, tbh.

Not really. Only place that has a higher net migration is Texas.

It's humid as hell, but there's a reason all those drat snowbirds invade Florida every year.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mostlygray posted:

In Minnetonka, MN each house used to have it's own well. They wouldn't have a separate well house, it would be an extension room off the basement outside of the footprint. Once everyone went to municipal water, people would build bookcases with hinges to cover the well room and use it as a root cellar. They're pretty cool. When I was looking for houses a few years ago, our agent was able to tell if there was a secret room every time, but I never would have seen them. You look for one of the shelf sides to be angled for clearance when the bookcase door opens. He learned to check because sometimes people didn't cap their wells and it wouldn't meet code when you tried to buy it.

I'd love to find out that my house had a hidden room behind a bookshelf.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

xwing posted:

It's humid as hell, but there's a reason all those drat snowbirds invade Florida every year.

went to see how low connecticut was and i noticed that ny and il had the most migrations.

i get ny but why are people fleeing illinois

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

looks safe enough

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
I am so glad that whole house fans were mentioned. The house i'm now (I inherited the house) used to have one built into the attic, with all the attic ventilation necessary, but it was torn out when the roof was replaced 20 years ago, supposedly it wasn't working. Anyway, i already have all the hard stuff done, attic is insulated really, really well (Michigan home, thanks dad) and the attic access is already in place (with an insulated panel!)

I looked into whole house fans because there are about 3 months in Michigan where neither AC nor heat is needed, but getting some glorious cool night air in the house would be wonderful. I bought a high velocity fan (6,100 cfm supposedly) for $45 instead of getting a (admittedly, low-end whole house fan off amazon) which seemed to move less CFM.

I figured either way i get a nice fan that moves some air, but whats stopping me from using my stand alone fan as a whole house fan, if i build a frame to use it for the same purpose, suck warm air out of the house in the evening and draw in the cool air ?

I've seen videos on youtube of people using standard box fans for this purpose and supposedly it works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xwing posted:

It's cheap and it's hot?