Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Also, for Hardcore (or Hardmode, or whatever the New Game+ is called after you beat the Wall of Flesh), do I really effectively have to set up arenas to kill the boss monsters?

I know that it is recommended, but I don't know if that is just nerds optimizing their gameplay, or if I realistically will have to set up these arenas to have a reasonable chance to win.

Because the whole arena preparation thing is my least favorite part of the game, and I'd like to avoid it.

You don't HAVE to if you're not playing on expert but even just flattening out an area and maybe laying some platforms in the air above it will help a lot by making it easier to move around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

way to go steve posted:

Thanks for this. I guess there's nothing to be done about the guide though?

I've never used the guide so I don't know, sorry. I just use the wiki if I need to remember a crafting recipe, but I don't suggest you do that if it's your first time playing, since you lose some of the exploration.
Also, the jungle is always opposite from the dungeon. A useful fact when exploring a world for the first time.

dis astranagant posted:

You don't HAVE to if you're not playing on expert but even just flattening out an area and maybe laying some platforms in the air above it will help a lot by making it easier to move around.

Yeah, having a place with a bonfire, heart lantern and some buff potions nearby makes boss fights a lot easier. Throw down some platforms (mine is less than a screen wide) and it'll be even better. Some people go really overboard and make these super elaborate arenas, but you don't need to.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The hardmode bosses are pretty fast and aggressive, so without an above ground arena, you're not going to be able to dodge them. Even with the best hardmode gear, you'll have a hard time beating the Twins without an arena.

It's a lot less work to build a quick one with some platforms and campfires than you'd think. And to beat Plantera, you'll definitely need to clear out some space underground, the jungle doesn't give you nearly enough room to maneuver otherwise.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, even in expert "an arena" is just a stack of platforms laid out of easy movement with some torches, campfires and heart lanterns to taste. Add heart/star statues as needed if you're having trouble.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SlyFrog posted:

Just because it was Rick & Morty doesn't mean it wasn't just stupid there too.

It was just stupid.

Thank you for pointing out humour is subjective by saying you didn't like a joke that nobody had talked about for 4 days.

Namaste

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

way to go steve posted:

Thanks for this. I guess there's nothing to be done about the guide though?
The Guide should have the same button.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

The hardmode bosses are pretty fast and aggressive, so without an above ground arena, you're not going to be able to dodge them. Even with the best hardmode gear, you'll have a hard time beating the Twins without an arena.

They're the one boss I don't build an arena for because my go to strategy for them is a handful of gravitation potions and a megashark with cursed bullets and then just flying around shooting behind me for like nine minutes. Works even in expert mode.

Also I started my solo mediumcore expert mode playthrough when 1.3.1 came out and in spite of a few demoralizing stupid early deaths am almost ready to pop hardmode. Just need to fish some more crates and probably get at least one full duplicate molten set. Why am I doing this? :negative:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have an amok with a yoyo bag and full titanium armor.. now what? I tried the twins and destroyer and they wrecked my poo poo. Don't know if I need better gear or just need to be better at the game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Potions+nimbus rod+heart lantern+campfire+weapon sharpening wheel+some summons if you have them
All that and a simple arena (2 rows of platforms, quite high) will let you easily deal with the destroyer. The twins are the hardest of the first three bosses IMO, get a megashark + wings + crystal bullets for them and keep your distance.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

You kind of have to game the encounters in hardmode, just using your best gear isn't usually enough. For instance, the Nimbus Rod and a ranged weapon with piercing ammo or explosive ammo really helps with the Destroyer. I don't know a trick for the Twins besides using something with a lot of range and dodging like hell. Skeletron Prime is probably easier than the Twins, too.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

RIP pissing on the destroyer to destroy it effortlessly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bakalakadaka posted:

RIP pissing on the destroyer to destroy it effortlessly.

Instead you kill some hallowed mimics then rain holy arrows from the sky to destroy it effortlessly.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

dis astranagant posted:

Instead you kill some hallowed mimics then rain holy arrows from the sky to destroy it effortlessly.

This. All three mechanical bosses are very doable with the daedalus bow. Destroyer is easy with holy arrows, but it's useful for both skeletron and the twins. For the twins, create a large-ish arena instead of a long track (to run from them). It's slightly more difficult to dodge them in an arena, but they won't accidently despawn because you outran them too far.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Piss is perfectly viable against the other 2 bosses because ichor is strong.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This last run I beat the Destroyer with an adamantine repeater and holy arrows (and potions and an arena and such), then I used a megashark and crystal bullets against the twins and skeletron prime.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't forget about the infinite quiver and I think infinite musket bag.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh yeah I made one of those promptly but I don't use it against bosses that are still remote threats. (Which is not much now that I have my dolphin.)

Very useful for exploration and such though, not having to worry about ammo at all for the cost of a mere four stacks of basic arrows/bullets is great.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

You just made me wish that there was a suggestion place for Terraria Otherworld/2 ideas. An autofisher that puts things into a chest would be amazing.

Nah, that's Starbound. There've been a few dumb nerfs to items other the years but the game's still fun regardless. The only big-ish thing I can think of that's missing is the ability to chose to have a Corruption or Crimson world.

Terraria Otherworld is a tower and hero defense. It is not terraria 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Terraria Otherworld is a tower and hero defense. It is not terraria 2.

Yeah, that's why I named both of them. I don't think I've heard anything about the game being worked on so I can't remember which is which, haha.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

An elevated length of mine cart track a few screens wide with bumpers at either end is my new favorite way to deal with the hardmode bosses. I managed to punk the random Skeletron Prime spawn unbuffed with the Shadowflame Knives that way.

As far as ammo goes, exploding bullets are easy to make, cheap, and drat effective against pretty much everything up to the mechanical bosses. It's easy to farm up a Clockwork Assault Rifle from The Wall and make a few stacks of bullets with the gold drops that will keep you covered for blasting stuff. If you still have trouble with bosses, do some fishing in the caverns and Crimson / Corruption. Endurance and Rage / Wrath potions are amazing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any cool / must have mods for 1.3.1?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I haven't played since the Spectre set healing was nerfed, and Jesus Christ was it ever nerfed. It seems like I do so little damage I just get swarmed and die even with the healing. I assume I'm better off using the new helmet that doesn't tank your damage, but am I just doing it wrong? I've been using a combo of Golden Shower/Magnet Sphere/Shadow Beam and feeling both weak and squishy against Dungeon monsters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I haven't played since the Spectre set healing was nerfed, and Jesus Christ was it ever nerfed. It seems like I do so little damage I just get swarmed and die even with the healing. I assume I'm better off using the new helmet that doesn't tank your damage, but am I just doing it wrong? I've been using a combo of Golden Shower/Magnet Sphere/Shadow Beam and feeling both weak and squishy against Dungeon monsters.

Put off dungeoning til you cheese the martian event by hiding in box with a meteor staff.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Been spamming new worlds looking for a pyramid to raid, using TEdit to preview the worlds first to save time walking across them, and found this monstrosity of a dungeon in this pyramid world. Just... seriously, look at that thing.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Been spamming new worlds looking for a pyramid to raid, using TEdit to preview the worlds first to save time walking across them, and found this monstrosity of a dungeon in this pyramid world. Just... seriously, look at that thing.

By monstrosity do you mean tiny baby dungeon because that dungeon looks smaller than most I've seen.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Bakalakadaka posted:

By monstrosity do you mean tiny baby dungeon because that dungeon looks smaller than most I've seen.

It's not terribly huge but it is strangely horizontal. I've never seen a dungeon with a hallway like that before. Imagine you've hit that little magic sword cove and thought it'd make a good spot for a hellevator, you get halfway down and then bam, your path down is blocked by all the bad words for jews. I figured there'd be a limit to the horizontal dungeon stretch, but I guess not.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah that makes more sense it's usually way more erratic than that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Could be worse. My current world has a jungle that reaches across the middle of the map and halfway to the dungeon, nearly preventing the hallow from spawning.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 1, 2016

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Ali Aces posted:

It's not terribly huge but it is strangely horizontal. I've never seen a dungeon with a hallway like that before. Imagine you've hit that little magic sword cove and thought it'd make a good spot for a hellevator, you get halfway down and then bam, your path down is blocked by all the bad words for jews. I figured there'd be a limit to the horizontal dungeon stretch, but I guess not.

lol this joke again, good stuff. cheers

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Stop trying to make that stupid loving term a thing.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

watho posted:

Don't be all of the bad words for Jew

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

watho posted:

No see, now that it's been given a secondary context in this thread it's like a Dad Joke now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's so cool i could see it on a shirt at hot topic

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

At first I thought that was his entire world but then I remembered that the ocean surrounds both ends.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's so cool i could see it on a shirt at hot topic

It's really more of a spencer's gifts thing, tbh

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I mean I didn't exactly need another reason to never watch Rick & Morty, but it's nice to have one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rick and Morty is real good though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I had never messed with the dart guns before and TIL that the dart pistol + crystal darts is amazing.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

I had never messed with the dart guns before and TIL that the dart pistol + crystal darts is amazing.

Holy crap, I have over 600 hours played in this drat game and never knew you could actually make special darts, let alone hardmode ones. Pretty sure I've trashed any number of dart pistols/rifles considering them booby prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

15 base damage, pierces 6 times, shatters and the shards target enemies. That's impressive.