Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

computer parts posted:

The MCU completely ignores the TV material.

I was referring to previous MCU movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was referring to previous MCU movies

Yeah but that's apples & oranges. BvS directly references the previous film, and Justice League will directly reference BvS (and Flash & Aquaman are supposedly referencing Justice League).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
From the actor and actress POV, the MCU does do the one thing she was talking about - they keep the actors the same between the TV and the movies. The big characters are never going to show up on TV, but they didn't recast Clark Gregg or Powers Boothe when their characters went to TV, and Sam Jackson even made a cameo.

At the same time, I don't think any of the TV characters have moved up to the movies, so....

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cardboard Box A posted:

From the actor and actress POV, the MCU does do the one thing she was talking about - they keep the actors the same between the TV and the movies. The big characters are never going to show up on TV, but they didn't recast Clark Gregg or Powers Boothe when their characters went to TV, and Sam Jackson even made a cameo.

At the same time, I don't think any of the TV characters have moved up to the movies, so....

Aren't they going to do a feature film with the Netflix characters? I mean, I assume it would just end up on Netflix, but still.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mordiceius posted:

Aren't they going to do a feature film with the Netflix characters? I mean, I assume it would just end up on Netflix, but still.
Not that I've heard of, Netflix or Theatrical.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Not that I've heard of, Netflix or Theatrical.

They're doing a miniseries with the Netflix characters called The Defenders or something, that's probably what they're referring to

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Timby posted:

I feel like Kinnaman's the cast member with the most riding on this movie; he was the weak link in the RoboCop remake and just terrible in The Killing, and I feel like this might be his last opportunity to prove he can carry an action movie or just fade into obscurity like Sam Worthington and so many other flavors of the month.

Nah, Kinnaman was the best thing about both of those.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTkeAzJSBRs

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

But then there's also stuff like Jessica Jones having to drop Carol Danvers because the movies claimed her, Night Nurse having to be switched because the movies claimed her, and Alfre Woodard playing different characters in Luke Cage and Civil War.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Basically for the time being it's a one way street.

The TV shows can get the actors of the movies if they're lucky and schedules align- but no way in gently caress are the TV show characters crossing into the movies. Not yet anyways

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Chairman Capone posted:

But then there's also stuff like Jessica Jones having to drop Carol Danvers because the movies claimed her, Night Nurse having to be switched because the movies claimed her, and Alfre Woodard playing different characters in Luke Cage and Civil War.

Those two maybe aren't different characters depending on how deep Zemo rolled in order to get the Avengers to fracture. Night Nurse yes, and Carol was supposed to be in JJ? Didn't we know about the Capt. Marvel movie before JJ was announced.

Unless you are talking about the original Jessica Jones show that was pitched to be on ABC family a while back and likely wasn't gonna be in the MCU at all.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Burkion posted:

Basically for the time being it's a one way street.

The TV shows can get the actors of the movies if they're lucky and schedules align- but no way in gently caress are the TV show characters crossing into the movies. Not yet anyways

There was one guy I think. Agent Sitwell from shield season 1 was a hydra dude in cap 2. Same actor and character, if I recall. Was he in any movies before the show?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mylan posted:

There was one guy I think. Agent Sitwell from shield season 1 was a hydra dude in cap 2. Same actor and character, if I recall. Was he in any movies before the show?

MOvie character first. He was in Thor and the Avengers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mylan posted:

He was in Thor, Avengers, and Winter Solider.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Off topic, but does anyone remember the goon's name that got the movie accurate Batman Begins (Dark Knight?) costume made? He had it in an armoire with batarangs and everything.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Dexo posted:

He was in Thor, Avengers, and Winter Solider.

I don't remember him in Thor proper, he was in the short they shot of Coulson heading off to New Mexico after leaving midway through Iron Man 2.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

broken clock opsec posted:

I don't remember him in Thor proper, he was in the short they shot of Coulson heading off to New Mexico after leaving midway through Iron Man 2.

I think it was a minor scene of him like walking out of a car alongside Coulson to a compound or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

broken clock opsec posted:

He didn't DO much, but he was in Thor. He was just one of the random SHIELD thugs hanging out around the Hammer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chairman Capone posted:

But then there's also stuff like Jessica Jones having to drop Carol Danvers because the movies claimed her,

I think that's overstating it a bit. If they were going to use Carol in the show she would have been a very different character, just the lack of costumed superheroes in the movie universe suggests that. It made some amount of sense to use a different character there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

Hair isn't big enough.

Give it time, maybe the first season is Bart-hair Begins.

Anyway, it's Dan Stevens as an omnipotent crazyperson, I'm pretty stoked regardless of hairdo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Retardog posted:

Off topic, but does anyone remember the goon's name that got the movie accurate Batman Begins (Dark Knight?) costume made? He had it in an armoire with batarangs and everything.

Gregday.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

thanks man!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

regarding the separation between Marvel's comics/TV/movie efforts:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/31/civil-war-did-not-cause-the-civil-war-at-marvel-the-rot-set-in-with-iron-man-2/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What would it take for TV shows to be taken seriously? An HBO type treatment? It seems a lot of people just dismiss TV altogether as an inferior medium but I'm starting to feel like movies are becoming less and less relevant. I think the biggest issue is how many millions of dollars you need just to produce 90-120 minutes of content and get it on the screen. And then that content might just be wildly disappointing. For instance, your average romantic comedy is just not as good as your average romantic comedy series on Netflix

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
TV shows are taken seriously. The reason why the MCU doesn't treat TV seriously is because that's one more thing to conform to in their shared universe.

As an aside, a major appeal of movies is that they *don't* take 10 hours to finish. Even if the RomCom is less appealing than the Netflix one, at least it's over in 2 hours and you don't have to think about it again (another thing is that most people don't really rewatch media all that often).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Thor 3 will incorporate aspects of the "Planet Hulk" comic arc; including Jeff Goldblum hosting a Gladiatorial fight to the death between Hulk and cosmic beings.

Also, Hulk will wear something other than Purple Pants for the first time ever in the MCU.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hulk-might-be-wearing-more-stretchy-pants-thor-rag-237567

The report also says that Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during the movie. RIP those beautiful golden curls.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 1, 2016

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thor 3 will incorporate aspects of the "Planet Hulk" comic arc; including Jeff Goldblum hosting a Gladiatorial fight to the death between Hulk and cosmic beings.

Also, Hulk will wear something other than Purple Pants for the first time ever in the MCU.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hulk-might-be-wearing-more-stretchy-pants-thor-rag-237567

The report also says that Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during the movie. RIP those beautiful golden curls.

This is sounding pretty good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What would it take for TV shows to be taken seriously? An HBO type treatment? It seems a lot of people just dismiss TV altogether as an inferior medium but I'm starting to feel like movies are becoming less and less relevant. I think the biggest issue is how many millions of dollars you need just to produce 90-120 minutes of content and get it on the screen. And then that content might just be wildly disappointing. For instance, your average romantic comedy is just not as good as your average romantic comedy series on Netflix

Well, we're talking relative to Marvel shows. TV is taken seriously these days. Mad Men and Breaking Bad started the trend of prestige television and lots of Hollywood actors are jumping at the chance to star in them. Unfortunately, I don't think any show has had that same phenomenon status that those two did.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeff Goldblum hosting a Gladiatorial fight to the death between Hulk and cosmic beings.

I want to watch this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Looks like they really are doing Old Man Logan for Wolverine 3.

Ugh.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Is there something about the suit that makes it Old Man Logan? I've never read it, but he doesn't look any scruffier than he did in The Wolverine, or greyer than he did in DOFP.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
No idea how you actually do Old Man Logan in the context of the X-men movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well, we're talking relative to Marvel shows. TV is taken seriously these days. Mad Men and Breaking Bad started the trend of prestige television and lots of Hollywood actors are jumping at the chance to star in them. Unfortunately, I don't think any show has had that same phenomenon status that those two did.

Game of Thrones is probably on their same level. I think another good indicator is if actors who became prominent because of a show start to show up in major movies.

I still don't get how they're going to do Old Man Logan, between not really having any major villains, having Professor X be with him, already having done a movie about a mutant genocide in a dystopian future, etc. I mean, granted most comic adaptations are extremely lose but for this one I don't really see how they could actually take anything from it other than "older Logan in the future".

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mad Men and Breaking Bad started the trend of prestige television

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They are not really doing "Old Man Logan". I think they are just doing "Logan as an old man". The storyline will likely have more to do with the end credits stinger of X-Men Apocalypse where Mr Sinister's company obtained a sample of Wolverine's blood.

Meanwhile, here is a terrible fanmade prequel to Ben Affleck's Batman where Donald Trump is Gotham's mayor and Batman started out using an ATV as his ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOUbs7e4B1s

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I immediately remembered Sopranos right after I made that post, but I'd say it was the spark of things to come. I suppose GoT did fill the void BB/MM left.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I immediately remembered Sopranos right after I made that post, but I'd say it was the spark of things to come. I suppose GoT did fill the void BB/MM left.

It created the precise anti-hero mold that the shows you mentioned fall into, particularly Breaking Bad, was lauded during its time in the exact same way they were during theirs, and was a huge phenomenon. People went nuts over the series finale. I don't see how you can distinguish them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You're right, I just didn't have HBO, so I've been distinguishing them differently because BB and MM came out at a time when streaming video(and piracy) caught on and made them more accessible to a wider audience.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Detective No. 27 posted:

You're right, I just didn't have HBO, so I've been distinguishing them differently because BB and MM came out at a time when streaming video(and piracy) caught on and made them more accessible to a wider audience.

That's definitely a factor though. HBO is/was practically a separate category from TV or movies (hence "Home Box Office"). AMC bringing prestige stuff to basic cable really did change things (although, as noted, the West Wing was already a Network thing).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Captain Marvel front runner is Brie Larson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Envy Adams is acceptable

• Locked thread