Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you have Playstation Plus, they released season 2 of Powers. It's a fun little detective/superpower show starring Sharlto Copley as a hardboiled former superhero turned cop.

edit
Michael Madsen in spandex

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Highly recommend The Barkley Marathons if you're in the mood for a lighter documentary. It chronicles an insane 100 mile (theoretically), 60 hour footrace through the Tennessee wilderness that most don't even get halfway through. Really great stuff.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

New Peaky Blinders is pretty good the central theme of class warfare is a bit overbearing though. Highlights were Tom Hardy's jewish gangster making a return and a good soundtrack featuring quite a bit of Radiohead. Dr. Bashir is good in it too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Chichevache posted:

If you have Playstation Plus, they released season 2 of Powers. It's a fun little detective/superpower show starring Sharlto Copley as a hardboiled former superhero turned cop.

edit
Michael Madsen in spandex

I hadn't thought about Michale Madsen in a while. Wasn't he on the lam for a while due to tax/alimony issues?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

I hadn't thought about Michale Madsen in a while. Wasn't he on the lam for a while due to tax/alimony issues?

Maybe? He was just in The Hateful Eight for about two hours with only a dozen lines.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The last time I saw Madsen in anything that wasn't by Tarantino was him voicing the villain in the disappointing second season of the Walking Dead game a few years ago.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe? He was just in The Hateful Eight for about two hours with only a dozen lines.

This is the correct way to utilize Michael Madsen.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Guys there's a feature length Christian Mingle dot com movie on Netflix

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

The last time I saw Madsen in anything that wasn't by Tarantino was him voicing the villain in the disappointing second season of the Walking Dead game a few years ago.

He played Daud in Dishonored, too. He was pretty good in that, especially the two all-Daud-all-the-time expansions.

zomblake
Feb 1, 2010

If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them.
I tried to search and did see it on the list -

11/22/63 on hulu

Also, anyone know whats up with that netflix show Residue with Iwan Rheonand Natalia Tena? I thought the first 3 episodes were awesome, but they are being very secretive and vague about weather or not its coming back. Also, they should throw Sophie Turner in there and make a GoT reunion.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

Guys there's a feature length Christian Mingle dot com movie on Netflix

God's not dead 2?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. I somehow ended up in a Christian bookstore for a few minutes a while back and saw the Christian Mingle movie on the shelf next to the other garbage christian movies and couldn't stop laughing to myself.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
It's come up here before I think, but I've watched 2 episodes of Friday Night Lights and it is so good. Love the score.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accident Underwater posted:

It's come up here before I think, but I've watched 2 episodes of Friday Night Lights and it is so good. Love the score.

Season 1 of it is, dare I say, even better than the film. Which is some poo poo because I loving love the film.

So In The Flesh is on Hulu now. Seasons 1 and 2. In tone, presentation and subject matter it's essentially "28 Months Later" and is very very good.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

blood_dot_biz posted:

Highly recommend The Barkley Marathons if you're in the mood for a lighter documentary. It chronicles an insane 100 mile (theoretically), 60 hour footrace through the Tennessee wilderness that most don't even get halfway through. Really great stuff.

Agreed. I couldn't even fathom people trying to accomplish that kind of feat, even if I got really squeamish at the part about the one competitor lancing his godawful blisters. I got legit bummed when some of the runners they followed dropped out of the race even.

Valley Uprising was kinda similar, looking at the history of the guys that go extreme climbing in Yosemite. It did kind of give me the willies though. Especially when one guy has a gopro and is tightrope walking without a harness across a canyon.

Today's Special was another good movie I watched recently. A sous chef takes over his father's flagging Indian restaurant in Manhattan with help from a quirky cabbie. It's nothing to inventive, but sometimes I want carefree, breezy movies.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

blood_dot_biz posted:

I've been wanting to see this since I heard about it (I've been to Frozen Head several times since it is like an hour from my house in Knoxville). Thanks for reminding me.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So, talk to me a little about The Killing and Happy Valley. I'm about 10 episodes into S1 of The Killing and I like it though I find the political poo poo to be boring. I like the cast just fine, I just hope it pays off big in some way down the line. Do the later seasons improve or drop in quality?

I've only seen the first 2 episodes of Happy Valley and I quite like it. In this thread or another I saw a pretty strong positive non-spoiler reaction to the end of S1 so I guess that's a good sign. I think it was something like "FUuuuuuuuUUUUUUCK"

e: at least I hope that was a positive

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 8, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pahuyuth posted:

So, talk to me a little about The Killing and Happy Valley. I'm about 10 episodes into S1 of The Killing and I like it though I find the political poo poo to be boring. I like the cast just fine, I just hope it pays off big in some way down the line. Do the later seasons improve or drop in quality?

I know you probably won't, but you should stop now. You'll regret it if you don't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pahuyuth posted:

I could be nice and tell you to quit The Killing now, but I look forward to your anger at the way season 1 ends...

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Now I'm very curious, and I'm a glutton for punishment, so...... See ya on the other side of S1!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

pahuyuth posted:

Now I'm very curious, and I'm a glutton for punishment, so...... See ya on the other side of S1!

Just FYI, Season 2 is no picnic either.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pahuyuth posted:

It gets so bad that I kept watching just because I wanted to see the main characters suffer and die. It might be one of the worst police shows I have ever watched.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I heard season 3 of The Killing was a definite improvement but I'm sure a lot of that was just in comparison to the shitshow that was the Rosie Larson story.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

I heard season 3 of The Killing was a definite improvement but I'm sure a lot of that was just in comparison to the shitshow that was the Rosie Larson story.

Yes, it is a different strain of poo poo that is less pure.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
If season one and two are slamming your dick in a door, then season three is dropping it into an icebath and getting necrotic frostbite.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
A slumbering demon is stirring as its dreams turn to nightmares of The Killing. The more I remember of that show, the angrier I get.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hahaha, you're the killing me. I can't wait!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

pahuyuth posted:

Hahaha, you're killing me. I can't wait!

I knew you were going to keep watching no matter what. Just remember, you had a chance to go down a different road and you didn't take it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pahuyuth posted:

Hahaha, you're the killing me. I can't wait!

It is even more infuriating than Making a Murderer.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I avoided The Killing after hearing that Nic Pizzulatto or whatever was involved in writing it. This was after I watched True Detective season 2, mind you, when it became apparent that Fukunaga was probably the reason season 1 worked so well (and that Nic had forever to tweak season 1's plot).

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm hoping Happy Valley has a better reputation around here...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

pahuyuth posted:

I haven't seen season 2, but really enjoyed season 1 even though it's probably the bleakest TV show I've ever seen.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I liked Happy Valley S1. It is very bleak, though, that's true.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Goons being so obnoxiously bitter about a mediocre season finale from five years ago is hilarious, especially when it makes them hate the two good seasons that followed out of pure spite.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Guy Mann posted:

Goons being so obnoxiously bitter about a mediocre season finale from five years ago is hilarious, especially when it makes them hate the two good seasons that followed out of pure spite.

There weren't any good seasons, and I watched the show within the last year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are we still taking about The Killing? Because the Season 1 finale was the least of its problems. Season 2 was somehow even worse.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's weird seeing "The Killing starts good and gets bad" characterized as some niche goon opinion when that's the only thing I've ever read or heard about the show

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pahuyuth posted:

Happy Valley season 1 is fantastic. One of the things I really love about it is that you contemporaneously see what's happening to the criminals and how the investigation goes. Sadly in season 2 they do away with this by not keeping the viewer in the loop about the criminals and using red herring fakeouts. It's still good but a decline from season 1.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

morestuff posted:

It's weird seeing "The Killing starts good and gets bad" characterized as some niche goon opinion when that's the only thing I've ever read or heard about the show

Yeah, the show was universally panned after the S1 finale and all through S2, S3 was salvaged by one of the Sarsgaard brothers. Joel Kinnamon is really good but didn't have enough material to work with in that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I haven't seen season 2, but really enjoyed season 1 even though it's probably the bleakest TV show I've ever seen.

You want bleak TV? You want Durham County - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_County_(TV_series)