Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
So what's my best bet for tracking down floating islands now? I haven't found any gravitation potions yet, I remember those always being my go to. Early bosses are down, so my options seem to be the dungeon, jungle, or desert. Any recommendations on the order, or are they roughly equivalent?

I checked out the wiki a little but I don't want to spoil things. Whichever numbnuts decided on blue and black text on a dark blue background should be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
There's not much in the desert unless you're addicted to the Extractionator like I am. The Jungle and Dungeon are roughly equivalent, as is the underworld honestly, though you want to do enough dungeon to get the purple key before tackling that.

You can try meteor shot for finding floating islands - it bounces, so if you fire straight up and it comes back you found a floating island. I think aqua bolt does the same thing if you get that and would rather spend mana than bullets.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I've always just built a giant bridge in the sky, a couple of screens or so before you hit space. Eventually, you'll run into the floaters. Using the minimap helps, too, in case you end up missing it from above or below.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

way to go steve posted:

So what's my best bet for tracking down floating islands now? I haven't found any gravitation potions yet, I remember those always being my go to. Early bosses are down, so my options seem to be the dungeon, jungle, or desert. Any recommendations on the order, or are they roughly equivalent?

I checked out the wiki a little but I don't want to spoil things. Whichever numbnuts decided on blue and black text on a dark blue background should be fired.

If you've got a few hundred rope, you can just climb into the sky every so often. Side effects include getting hit by a feather and plummeting to your death, messing up the removal process and leaving bits of rope hanging in the sky, eczema, and nervousness.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Blah, I hate just building around randomly in the sky. I might try meteor shot, I have tons of that. I seem to remember they tended to spawn over water, is that the case?

I do have like 3000 rope (it wasn't in the game when I played before, and I never really incorporated it into my play because I got better jumps and a hook right away). How does that work? You can just build up with rope? I thought you had to drop it down from somewhere. I should probably play around with it some.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
I can't seem to quite find the answer to this one-
Do "The Corruption" or "The Crimson" just spread a little bit all the time until the whole map is covered no matter what you're doing, or do you have to be near it for it to spread, or like... do *you* spread it around?
I understand that it spreads, I'm just not totally clear on the details.

Basically I'm wanting to build like one world that is my keeper world that I'm going to make nice and pretty, and I would like to just have a series of throwaway worlds that I use to mine and discover poo poo, obviously using my character to move stuff from world to world. I'm trying to figure out if I can create a world to build and play in and not worry about the loving corruption/crimson poo poo or if I need to hunt it down and dig a trench around it (as I understand it, anyway). Thanks in advance for answering!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Buttflakes posted:

I can't seem to quite find the answer to this one-
Do "The Corruption" or "The Crimson" just spread a little bit all the time until the whole map is covered no matter what you're doing, or do you have to be near it for it to spread, or like... do *you* spread it around?
I understand that it spreads, I'm just not totally clear on the details.

Basically I'm wanting to build like one world that is my keeper world that I'm going to make nice and pretty, and I would like to just have a series of throwaway worlds that I use to mine and discover poo poo, obviously using my character to move stuff from world to world. I'm trying to figure out if I can create a world to build and play in and not worry about the loving corruption/crimson poo poo or if I need to hunt it down and dig a trench around it (as I understand it, anyway). Thanks in advance for answering!

If it's a new world, Corruption/Crimson will slowly infect grass until it hits sunflowers or any not-grass, where it is blocked. You don't have to do anything, it'll go by itself, though it'll probably have spread as far as it can by the time you find it.

Once you activate Hardmode, it will spread more aggressively, infecting stone, sand and ice, not being blocked by sunflowers, and will consume everything without intervention (though beating further bosses will slow it down).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
And once you hit hardmode (which you probably shouldn't do on your homeworld) you can still halt the spread by isolating the corruption/crimson/hallow with 3 or 4-block wide tunnels. You can also use purification powder or related tools to clean up corruption and crimson.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Tenebrais posted:

If it's a new world, Corruption/Crimson will slowly infect grass until it hits sunflowers or any not-grass, where it is blocked. You don't have to do anything, it'll go by itself, though it'll probably have spread as far as it can by the time you find it.

Once you activate Hardmode, it will spread more aggressively, infecting stone, sand and ice, not being blocked by sunflowers, and will consume everything without intervention (though beating further bosses will slow it down).

To further add to this, you don't have to worry about the jungle. It has its own, incredibly effective, defense mechanism against corruption/crimson.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

way to go steve posted:

Space gun, depending on the size of your world. Medium/Small the islands are low enough that you can hear the space gun shot impact the bottom of the island. Wear the meteor armor for infinite space gun.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

way to go steve posted:

So what's my best bet for tracking down floating islands now?

My new favorite way to find them is building minecart tracks up into the sky- ~350 iron ore is easy to come by once you can buy bombs, and that's enough to go all the way across a medium world. It's fairly hard to fall off, fast to assemble, easy to re-climb if you do fall, and can be used for overworld transportation later.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Solumin posted:

And once you hit hardmode (which you probably shouldn't do on your homeworld)...

I was thinking that I would probably avoid a hardmode homeworld situation, so thanks for the tip.

Thanks for answering my questions, guys. I'm still just mining, gathering materials, looking for loot, etc... so I can summon Skeletron from a dungeon I found and maybe King Slime.

One more question, should be my last- how does The Corruption/Crimson spreading underground work?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's just in hardmode, when the biomes are able to convert stone, ice and other blocks. Like Tenebrais said, it can only spread to grass blocks in Normal mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Corrupt/crimson grass can also spread to bare, exposed dirt, in addition to converting existing normal grass.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

infected blocks (grass on dirt, sand, ice, and stone) can spread their infection to un-infected blocks up to two blocks away. This can also convert mud to dirt, which can then grow infected grass.
it should also be noted that the thorns (and vines?) that grow from infected grass can also spread the infection.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

infected blocks (grass on dirt, sand, ice, and stone) can spread their infection to un-infected blocks up to two blocks away. This can also convert mud to dirt, which can then grow infected grass.
it should also be noted that the thorns (and vines?) that grow from infected grass can also spread the infection.
That's in hardmode, pre-hardmode it needs somewhere grass could or has already grown to spread.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Okiedoke, I think I got it now, thanks guys, I appreciate it!

This game is one of the most detailed games I've ever played. It reminds me if Nethack in that way.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's slightly less like Nethack now that you can't get petrified while falling down some stairs a vertical shaft dug through marble

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The Silver Snail posted:

No see, now that it's been given a secondary context in this thread it's like a Dad Joke now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Gravity potions are the best way to find floating islands, can be found in chests, and all you need to get started is a pair of Hermes (or similar) boots. Reach running speed, chug the potion, wait till you get to the height floating islands are found at (generally this is when the sky JUST BARELY begins to darken into the space bg), and keep moving with your full running speed while flipping repeatedly to stay at roughly that altitude. You'll be able to blitz past floating islands at running speed and that'll mark them on your map. Then you can come back after the potion wears off and rope up. If you start on the edge of a small world you'll have enough gravity potion to find all the islands in one run, assuming you can keep your momentum.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

So, uh, I don't know if messed around underground too much instead of aboveground or what, but the Eye of Cthulu is coming for me now and I've got the Enchanted Boomerang and a full suit of copper armor. And no arena. The boomerang seems pretty good but not 2500 hp or whatever of damage good. I can work on an arena. Any other suggestions? I don't have enough lead/tungsten/platinum to make a full suit of armor, and it seems like the set bonus is roughly equivalent to the upgrade I could get by making one or two random higher level armor pieces.

(This is my first time with the game ever, just in case that wasn't completely obvious already.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:eyepop:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bouquet posted:

So, uh, I don't know if messed around underground too much instead of aboveground or what, but the Eye of Cthulu is coming for me now and I've got the Enchanted Boomerang and a full suit of copper armor. And no arena. The boomerang seems pretty good but not 2500 hp or whatever of damage good. I can work on an arena. Any other suggestions? I don't have enough lead/tungsten/platinum to make a full suit of armor, and it seems like the set bonus is roughly equivalent to the upgrade I could get by making one or two random higher level armor pieces.

(This is my first time with the game ever, just in case that wasn't completely obvious already.)

I did the eye on a new character in expert the other day, I think I used full tungsten (silver equivalent) and a platinum bow (gold equivalent) with frost arrows. Then buffed with ironskin, regen and archer potions, placed a bonfire and started the fight. Healed with my nearby nurse twice during the fight when on potion cooldown, pretty easy.

Given you're probably not on expert, you can downgrade all that gear by a level or two. Maybe iron armour and silver bow equivalents. Frost arrows are easy to make (Ice Block + Torch + Wooden Arrow), so are the potions.

There's also the standby method of shurikens/throwing knife spam, you can get in a couple hits if they come back down through the eye plus they pierce the little eye summons. I dunno if that still works though, I haven't played normal mode since expert came out.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Any tips for expert mode skeletron? I can't seem to figure out a way to dodge the skull spam of painful death. This is with using a molten fury and full molten armor with accessories 3+ defence.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Ambaire posted:

Any tips for expert mode skeletron? I can't seem to figure out a way to dodge the skull spam of painful death. This is with using a molten fury and full molten armor with accessories 3+ defence.

A longer platform, and rocket/spectre boots or better. Just kinda orbit around him once his arms are gone, the skull projectiles also go in a circular arc and wont hit you. Also cthulhu shield to i-frame through stuff.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bouquet posted:

The Eye of Cthulhu appears once you have a certain amount of health -- you've probably popped enough life crystals to make him show up.

Honestly, if you aren't prepared? Hide underground. He'll go away when dawn breaks, and that gives you time to get better gear. (You can also just log out as soon as you see the message that warns you he is coming -- before he spawns, that is.)

You don't need an arena, but it'll help a little. Get better armor when you can. Make a better weapon. I suggest making a bow if you have enough tungsten or, preferably, platinum, and then make some arrows. Fire arrows and frostburn arrows, especially! A platinum bow will be more than enough for quite a while.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

A longer platform, and rocket/spectre boots or better. Just kinda orbit around him once his arms are gone, the skull projectiles also go in a circular arc and wont hit you. Also cthulhu shield to i-frame through stuff.

By 'iframe', you mean it makes me invincible for a certain time? Because when I tried dashing into goblin mages during the invasion I still took damage from their missiles in flight.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

You don't take contact damage.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

watho posted:

You don't take contact damage.

Ah, thanks.

I don't think they ever intended you to play this at 2560x1440, it breaks some of the mechanics in that you can see enemies spawn and despawn due to how big your vision area is. It may be hard to see in this screenshot, but the starfury stars are going UPWARDS from where they spawn.

edit: this is done using this modified executable and related files.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lol

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ambaire posted:

I don't think they ever intended you to do this thing I had to modify the the executable to do.
You don't say.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

3-4 tiers of platforms ~300 tiles long with some campfires and heart lanterns for as much coverage as you can get. You want to be running more than moving around in the air but when you get to the end you can hop up or down a tier and hit your shield dash to get past him and restart your hermes boots in the opposite direction. I've done it with a boomstick, yo-yos, and various magic weapons but molten fury + archery potions should be fine. Maybe go dig up some more hellstone to make an imp staff for some extra dps.

As an added bonus you can expand this a bit and fight mechanical bosses there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bouquet posted:

Things you can do with what you already have:
- campfire: you just need a bunch of torches. Being near the campfire boosts your health regen; not by much but that'll help you hold on while you wait for potion sickness to wear out
- heart lantern: if you're harassed by the Eye of Cthulhu, that means you've got 200+ health, so you already know how to find heart crystals. Find some more and craft heart lanterns; same reason as the campfire
- star lantern: falling stars are an infinitely renewable resource, you can spend some to make star lanterns that'll help you regenerate mana; if you actually use magic in combat obviously

For the arena, all you need is a relatively wide area where you can move freely. Having a row or two of platforms can help (especially before you get all the mobility-enhancing accessories, like bundle of balloons + frog legs) but it's not absolutely necessary. You can also try building is a minecart circuit. Make something shaped like a flat hexagon, use bumpers on its extremities so that it makes you bounce back with intact speed, and set up the connections so that you get in a loop. You'll move fast all the time and can concentrate on aiming at the eye without having to touch your movement keys. And you can put your campfires and lanterns strategically so that the full circuit is covered by their buff. Later you can improve it by adding heart and star statues with a timer...

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Killed expert Skeletron just the other day on my new character equipped with Shadow Armor, Minishark w/ meteor shot, Spectre Boots and Cthulu Shield as the major items and running the common buff potions.

When you say skull spam, do you mean the skulls he starts shooting when you disarm him? What worked for me was making sure my arena was close to the ground, so the homing skulls would hit the ground and not keep looping around. The other thing is that Skeletrons aim tracks you slowly, so with some timing you can keep running back and forth. What happens is Skeletron shoots behind you and because the arena is close to a solid surface the skulls hit that and vanish.

A good way to dodge the spin attack is running away to get him on your level and then rocket/spectre booting over him and then geting some distance and a running start with the Cthulu Shield.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
New way found to obliterate expert eater of worlds, only need: space gun, meteor armor set, and a 1 tile thick platform. Get the eater to follow you then just spam space gun at its head and watch it die helplessly.

e. bow with jester's arrows works even better. I think I hit more than half the worm with a few. For normal mode before I've just been sitting in a hole and spamming melee on it. That obviously doesn't work on expert with the increased head damage.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 2, 2016

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I found a dart rifle from a corrupt mimic and the cursed and crystal darts are both downright nasty weapons with this thing even though it shoots slow as poo poo.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

God Bless You

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

There's prolly already been a conversation about this and I may have missed it, but- anyone care to share any tips for choosing an ideal map as a homeworld?
Someone said don't gently caress with hardmode in your homeworld for obvious reasons, but any more info on what to look for in a homeworld? I have a map revealer/drawer program, so I can look at the whole world before I set it up as a homeworld and I can plan properly. Is there anything I will hate myself for later if I don't have it in my homeworld, or does it even matter? Thanks!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What do you mean by homeworld? Like, a base world you always come back to after exploring other ones?

Terraria's meant to be played in a single world you generate from start to finish, I've got like 300 hours in this game and have never used a map program to make sure my world has certain things because it ultimately doesn't matter. You can dip over to other worlds to see if they have other stuff your world might not have like pyramids or giant trees, but there's literally no other reason to jump worlds unless you really need a bunch of wood and don't feel like waiting for acorns to grow or something. I'd honestly recommend against having more than one world starting out, it's pretty unnecessary.

I mean, I guess you could have a "homeworld" where you make your huge planned village or whatever and never activate hardmode, but there's still nothing to look for unless you really want a giant tree or a pyramid. Even then, you could just artificially create those wherever you wanted anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Half the NPCs are gated in Hardmode, so you'll want a decent base for them all anyway. Might as well make it your Main world, a base isn't actually that hard to protect.